Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

That'll be 9 A.M. EST for the me.

Yeah I'm not minding these defined dates for news, being spaced some 3-4 weeks apart.

• 2 weeks later...

New Pokemon Trailer and information from the Official Sites:

solgaleo.png

• SOLGALEO
  • CATEGORY: Sunne Pokémon
  • HEIGHT: 11'2"
  • WEIGHT:  507.1 lbs.
  • TYPE: Psychic/Steel
  • ABILITY: Full Metal Body
  • Bio: Since ancient times, Solgaleo has been honored as an emissary of the sun. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that devours the sun.” Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active. It has a flowing mane with a remarkable resemblance to the sun. Its signature move is Sunsteel Strike, an attack that charges at an opponent with the force of a meteor, disregarding the target’s Ability.
  • Solgaleo’s Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability.

lunala.png

• LUNALA
  • Moone Pokémon
  • HEIGHT    13'01"
  • WEIGHT    264.6 lbs.
  • TYPE    Psychic/Ghost
  • ABILITY    Shadow Shield
  • Bio: Since ancient times, Lunala has been honored as an emissary of the moon. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that calls the moon.” Lunala is constantly absorbing light and converting it into energy. With its wings spread to absorb the surrounding light and glittering like a crescent moon, it resembles a beautiful night sky. Lunala’s signature Moongeist Beam attack releases an ominous beam of light that disregards the target’s Ability.
  • Lunala’s Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP.

img_map.png

Here's the current map we have of he Alola Region.

img_mainchar.pngimg_making.png

The Hero and Heroine
You will choose to be a hero or heroine in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, and you can name yourself whatever you'd like. The story begins right after your character has moved to the Alola region. No sooner have you arrived than your adventures begin to unfold, and you'll meet many people and Pokémon as you grow and learn.

You can choose your gender and how you look!

img_subchar_01.png

Professor Kukui is the Alola region's dependable Pokémon professor. He lives near your home and looks out for you. He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. Sporting a white lab coat slung casually over his bare torso, he shows off his own unique style.

img_subchar_02.png

Lillie is a mysterious girl who assists the professor. This young girl is about the same age as your character, and she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books. Lillie will play an important role in the story of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

img_subchar_03.png

Hau is a Pokémon-loving young boy with a big appetite! He's the same age as your character. When you move to the Alola region, he makes friends with you right away. He has a real weakness for malasada, a famous treat in the Alola region, and he is always in search of malasada shops. He is a big-hearted boy who really loves Pokémon.

art03.png

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Meet New Pokémon Using the QR Scanner!
In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, there is a QR Scanner function that allows you to see information about Pokémon when you scan QR Code patterns. With the QR Scanner, you scan in a QR Code and check the information about the Pokémon that corresponds to that QR Code. There are QR Code patterns in various places all around you, so try scanning them.

Share QR Code Patterns of Pokémon!
You can display the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught in your own Pokédex. If you and a friend show each other the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught, you can both register the Pokémon in your Pokédexes!

art01.png

art02.pnggameview.png

The Rotom Pokédex Is Your Ally on Your Journey!
The Pokédex is a convenient tool that records information about the Pokémon you see and catch during your adventure. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, your character receives a special Pokédex from Professor Kukui to support you in your travels. It's known as the Rotom Pokédex, and it's inhabited by Rotom, a Pokémon with the power to reside in various electronic appliances. It does much more than record Pokémon info—it sparkles with its own personality. The Rotom Pokédex shows your current location and your next destination, and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.

The Rotom Pokédex is an extremely rare device. There are only a few Trainers that have one, even in the Alola region.

• Thumbs Up 5

EDIT: HAHAHAHA SCREW OFF NINJAS.

Anyway, liking the typings of the legendaries, though I'm puzzled by Solgaleo's Psychic/Steel when it looks more suited to having a Fire-type somewhere.

Welp, Lunala is gonna get fucked by dark and ghost types, unless it's ability helps in out that regard. And Solgaleo's typing is rather strange for a Pokemon pertaining to the Sun... It's even weak to fire..,

Lillie interests me. Do professors usually have assistants? She looks kind of like a jerk from her art, maybe she'll be the opposite of the Hau kid.

Solgaleo

• Psychic/Steel
  • Ability: Full Metal Body (No Stat changes)
  • New Attack: Sunsteel Strike

Lunala

• Psychic/Ghost
  • Ability: Shadow Shield
  • New Attack: Moongeist Beam

Other Stuff

• Professor Kukui (Young guy who greets you on the island) and his "mysterious" assistant Lillie
  • Rival from last video is named Hau.
  • Rotom possesed Pokedex
  • Salamence and Gengar were shown
  • Character art shown.
  • Multiple Islands shown.
  • Alola is "chock full of rare Pokemon"

I really like Hau's design. One of my favorite rivals so far. The new playable characters are great, too.

And now we wait for GameXplain to do a 2 hour analysis of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Lmao Solgaleo is supposed to represent the Sun and Lunala the Moon but one has a weakness to the the sun's primary element and the other has 4X WEAKNESS to when said moon appears (at night, when it's dark)

According to Serebii, Shadow Shield is basically just Multiscale. In other words, the Pokemon takes less damage from attacks as long as it is at full health.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, TCB said:

Lmao Solgaleo is supposed to represent the Sun and Lunala the Moon but one has a weakness to the the sun's primary element

Hydrogen?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Hydrogen?

Oh I know but it got a bit of a laugh outta me regardless

And their abilites are akin to Clear Body and Multiscale eh, well there's that. Least it breaks the trend of comparing Abilites the version mascots of Unova and Kalos had in a way.

Lmao, the mascot of Pokemon Sun turns out to be weak to fire. And I still have my fingers crossed that at least one of those rare Pokemon is a dolphin Pokemon.

Site update:
Meet New Pokémon Using the QR Scanner!

aBLa5Qt.jpg

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, there is a QR Scanner function that allows you to see information about Pokémon when you scan QR Code patterns. With the QR Scanner, you scan in a QR Code and check the information about the Pokémon that corresponds to that QR Code. There are QR Code patterns in various places all around you, so try scanning them.

Register Pokémon in Your Pokédex!
By scanning in special QR Code patterns you can register Pokémon of the Alola region to your Pokédex and find out where they live. If you scan in the QR Code for a Pokémon that you haven’t yet caught, you can check its habitat and search it out.

Share QR Code Patterns of Pokémon!
You can display the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught in your own Pokédex. If you and a friend show each other the QR Code patterns for Pokémon you have caught, you can both register the Pokémon in your Pokédexes!

The Rotom Pokédex Is Your Ally on Your Journey!

4Q2mNNb.png

The Pokédex is a convenient tool that records information about the Pokémon you see and catch during your adventure. In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, your character receives a special Pokédex from Professor Kukui to support you in your travels. It's known as the Rotom Pokédex, and it's inhabited by Rotom, a Pokémon with the power to reside in various electronic appliances. It does much more than record Pokémon info—it sparkles with its own personality. The Rotom Pokédex shows your current location and your next destination, and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.

Spoiler

MSBXSHE.png

The Rotom Pokédex is an extremely rare device. There are only a few Trainers that have one, even in the Alola region.

Solgaleo

CATEGORY     Sunne Pokémon
HEIGHT           11'2"
WEIGHT          507.1 lbs.
TYPE               Psychic/Steel
ABILITY           Full Metal Body

Since ancient times, Solgaleo has been honored as an emissary of the sun. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that devours the sun.” Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it's active. It has a flowing mane with a remarkable resemblance to the sun. Its signature move is Sunsteel Strike, an attack that charges at an opponent with the force of a meteor, disregarding the target’s Ability.

Solgaleo’s Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokémon’s stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent’s moves or Ability.

Lunala

CATEGORY      Moone Pokémon
HEIGHT           13'01"
WEIGHT           264.6 lbs.
TYPE                Psychic/Ghost
ABILITY            Shadow Shield

Since ancient times, Lunala has been honored as an emissary of the moon. It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that calls the moon.” Lunala is constantly absorbing light and converting it into energy. With its wings spread to absorb the surrounding light and glittering like a crescent moon, it resembles a beautiful night sky. Lunala’s signature Moongeist Beam attack releases an ominous beam of light that disregards the target’s Ability.

Lunala’s Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokémon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokémon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokémon has full HP.

The Alola Region:

Spoiler

alolamap.jpg

Visit the Alola Region!
Your new adventures in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon will take place on the tropical islands of the Alola region! The Alola region centers around four islands rich in natural beauty and an artificial island. Many Pokémon that have never been seen before occupy these islands.

The People of Alola
The world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon is filled with many colorful people in addition to the fascinating Pokémon. Meet some of the folks you'll encounter as you travel through the Alola region.

The Hero/Heroine

Spoiler

I5taQeo.png

You will choose to be a hero or heroine in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, and you can name yourself whatever you'd like. The story begins right after your character has moved to the Alola region. No sooner have you arrived than your adventures begin to unfold, and you'll meet many people and Pokémon as you grow and learn.

You can choose your gender and how you look!

Professor Kukui

Spoiler

0Dg0YpU.png

Professor Kukui is the Alola region's dependable Pokémon professor. He lives near your home and looks out for you. He's passionate about his research into Pokémon moves and has sometimes taken direct hits from Pokémon when there was something to be learned from it. Sporting a white lab coat slung casually over his bare torso, he shows off his own unique style.

Lillie

Spoiler

azIWkDw.png

Lillie is a mysterious girl who assists the professor. This young girl is about the same age as your character, and she's working as Professor Kukui’s assistant for personal reasons. She's not fond of making Pokémon fight in battles, but she loves reading and has devoured many books. Lillie will play an important role in the story of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

Hau

Spoiler

WPAvne0.png

Hau is a Pokémon-loving young boy with a big appetite! He's the same age as your character. When you move to the Alola region, he makes friends with you right away. He has a real weakness for malasada, a famous treat in the Alola region, and he is always in search of malasada shops. He is a big-hearted boy who really loves Pokémon.

Ugh, Rotomdex is going to be really annoying.

and it also gives you advice on where to go next, based on the conversations you have with others! It's likely to be of great help to you in many parts of your adventure.

This Rotom Pokedex better not be intrusive like Fi was or I'll go batshit insane. 

Of course, the Japanese YT did the news a bit differently, breaking of pieces of the English trailer. On the other hand, it shows things that wasn't in the one we got. THe rest will be spoiler'd for space sake: 

Spoiler

No surprise at the mascot names ringing true, but Solgaleo's part steel?  Seriously?  I guess there's some traces of metal in the sun but I wouldn't say it's enough to make it part steel instead of fire...

Seeing the region map gives me a lot of Wind Waker vibes, so that's cool on my end and I love how you technically get two Pokémon from the off, with the Rotom Pokedex :P  Really hoping it's not gonna be too irritating, since Rotom's in my top three favourites.  Does it change type when being a Pokedex though?

Man those legendary typing's are a major disappointment. I mean the sun Pokemon gets bodied by fire and the moon Pokemon jobs to darkness.

Edit: Was anyone else expecting Lunala to be part fairy or was it just me?

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting update.  My thoughts:

• Wow, so Solgaleo and Lunaala are called Solgaleo and Lunala!  Who would have thought.  I think that the developers maybe tried a bit too hard to make them seem mystical and unpredictable via their typings, though, as their concepts seem to belie the actual types they've been given; Solgaleo being weak to Fire is silly, and Lunala not having the Flying-type or even the Fairy- or Dark-types seems very strange.  Not sure I'm keen on going back to the bad old days of Psychic being overrepresented among legendaries, either.  Edit: Since so many people have noted that Solgaleo is weak to Fire and Lunala to Dark, is it possible... that maybe that's part of the point?
  • It took me a while to figure out where the starting island was on the Alola map as it's actually presented at a different angle on the full region art.  I'm guessing the artificial island in the middle is the Pokemon League; there's also a semihidden bonus island in the top-right.  Ironically, it looks as if there probably won't be too much water as the islands all have docks so you'll blatantly be taking boats.  The map looks good; lots of interesting locations, though I pine for a snowy region again.
  • At last, a Pokemon game with a mysterious anime girl in it.  Just what we needed.  Is she your other rival, then, since I don't see both protagonists hanging out at any point in that trailer, and Hau is confirmed to get the starter weak to yours?  Also, the heroine's bag looks like a slice of watermelon.
  • The Rotomdex looks functionally really useful; that minimap would've been a godsend in Lumiose city, and the QR Code Scanner page reveals that there's a detailed habitat function on the Pokedex.  I may be insane for thinking this, also, but the fact that the Rotomdex gives you a destination marker maybe hints that the game could actually be less linear, in that it allows them to fully signpost it if you have multiple possible destinations, or gives you room to explore because you can't get lost.
  • I don't think I understand the QR Code Scanner function?  It seems ambiguous as to whether it refers to just, like, any QR Code, in real life ("There are QR code patterns in various places all around you"), or just to special ones that the Pokemon Company I guess are going to spread around ("By scanning in special QR code patterns")?
  • Thumbs Up 3

img_map.png

Here's a map of the Alola Region from the Japanese Site and info from the English Twitter

Alola centers around 4 natural islands and an artificial one. Many undiscovered Pokémon live there.

• Thumbs Up 4

I love the whole multiple islands thing going on here, there seems to be a nice variety of environments, and even an icy mountain, which I hope isn't as late as ice areas normally are. Other than that, this looks pretty great, the characters seem cool, the legendaries seem alright, and the Rotom Pokedex seems pretty cool. I'm hoping there's a bit of variation in where you can go rather than the Dex basically being Adam from Metroid Fusion or Other M where it's like "go here, go there, go to this place".

I was hoping for middle form starters, but oh well, game still looks great.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Semi-colon e said:

I love the whole multiple islands thing going on here, there seems to be a nice variety of environments, and even an icy mountain, which I hope isn't as late as ice areas normally are.

Looking at the flow of the map, I suspect the icy mountain is, alas, quite late-game.  The beginning island is second from the left with another island between it and the ice mountain island, and the ice mountain island is the biggest, so it seems logical to suspect that it would be the third island at the earliest, and the dock is on basically the opposite side of the island from the lift up the mountain, so the icy areas should be among the last on that island.  In other words, there's a high likelihood of there being an Ice-type gym in seventh or eighth place again...  It depends on how they handle the plot flow and the legendaries in it, though - as the far left island is obviously the legendary hangout, given that it's apparently uninhabited with only one tiny human settlement on the boardwalks at its south edge.  I could see that being either the third or the fourth island in the order of events, judging from normal Pokemon narrative flow.

I dunno whether I'm pleased or disappointed with the Legendary Pokemon abilities, but at least they're pretty useful. Especially Lunala's glorified Multiscale, since I doubt it'll survive against most Sucker Punch users otherwise.

So, you get given the Pokedex with a Rotom inside it? That's... unique, I guess. I'd love it if you could also use the Rotom in battles, too. But somehow I doubt you'll be able to do that. (At least, not from the get-go.)