Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

Congrats Gene!! I hope for your sake Aaron's freshman pranks are not as destructive as his memes!! Not long now till you can fill us in on Tails Skypatrol 2 what with being on the inside and all!!

And also if you're expecting him to leak you shit as an intern that ain't going to happen. Since interns are pretty much there to learn I'm kind of doubting that he will get any news actually. So congrats bro, however hypes like this is why I can give two shits about 25th anniversary game. I mean this is happened so many times before so you can't really blame some of us for being a little salty

Just now, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not upset by the news, it's just the misleading. I thought with how the fanbase reacts to things, this phrase would be remembered more; "choose your words carefully".

You could've said this:

- It's not a game announcement

- It's not even about the Sonic franchise

- It's something more personal

Stuff like that.

Except we didn't mislead anyone. We said we had big news, for us on Sonic Retro it's big. All I did was link to it with a gif of a shifty eyed dog as a joke. The fanbase did the rest.

2 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Except we didn't mislead anyone

"Oooh maaan, hey everyone in this thread partially centered around big neeeews, there's big news and you'll never guess whaaat~ *more vague posting in threads*"

Sure

• Thumbs Up 9

6Id4SGH.jpg

While I'm really excited to see Gene get the job, I am glad I kept my expectations firmly under sea-level. Again; we had this with the SEGA 3D Classics announcement, and I wound up being right to keep expectations low there, too. 

I can understand folks being miffed but man some of you guys seem utterly distraught over this. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Cool, I was actually not expecting it fully to have Gene change from Retro into SEGA Social Intern, but I was kinda guessing that a change in Retro will happen, cool beans :)

Just now, Auto said:

"Oooh maaan, hey everyone in this thread partially centered around big neeeews, there's big news and you'll never guess whaaat~ *more vague posting in threads*"

Sure

You mean when I was using hyperbole?

You all didn't think something was up when I said that the news is "worse than Sonic Boom"?

5 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

Except we didn't mislead anyone. We said we had big news, for us on Sonic Retro it's big. All I did was link to it with a gif of a shifty eyed dog as a joke. The fanbase did the rest.

Sorry TimmiT, afraid you can't wiggle out of this:

4 hours ago, TimmiT said:

Don't worry, we actually do know stuff this time around.

6 hours ago, TimmiT said:

It's the worst Sonic news that we have gotten in a long time. Worse than Sonic Boom.

I can't wait.

And:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34534&st=780&p=853012&#entry853012

This does not sound at all fitting for a user joining Sega as an intern, it's just not possible.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

Now, I will say that was just a personal announcement on my end (and to me at least, kind of a big deal because CHILDHOOD DREAM), but I don't know what Ruby is up to. He hasn't lied yet and he still has something up his sleeve for this month. When he'll fire it? I don't know. He's a squirrly one.

So we ARE getting Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 on April 1st???

• Thumbs Up 5

Weeeeeeeeell *Opens head and throws all hype out the window*

Wait..*grabs buckets of salt and pours them out the windows too*

Now that's out of the way, congratulations Gene on getting to work with Aaron and SEGA, hope you hit it out of the park!

Now spill the beans on Big Adventure 3.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well, this is why I make a point to not get swept up in the hype. Y'all are 99% responsible for your own suffering on this one.

So people aren't allowed to get excited about the thought of Sonic news coming soon after so long with nothing?

I didn't even get hyped and I'm still annoyed.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Sorry TimmiT, afraid you can't wiggle out of this:

And:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34534&st=780&p=853012&#entry853012

This does not sound at all fitting for a user joining Sega as an intern, it's just not possible.

I said that we know stuff this time, wasn't implying that it's big news. And again: hyperbole. And again: big news for Sonic Retro.

If you want to go digging, see the times that I said on Twitter where I was reacting to it getting attention, and also when I said we didn't expect this reaction.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well, this is why I make a point to not get swept up in the hype. Y'all are 99% responsible for your own suffering on this one.

Why could I have been awesome like you? Lol

I mean still I was very cynical but still

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

I can understand folks being miffed but man some of you guys seem utterly distraught over this. 

Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I was having a generally shit day and big news about a series I really like would've been a bit of a silver lining, so having said "big news" teased in a "neener neener I know what you don't" fashion only for it to be what it actually is was a salt in the wound and an addition to the headache I was already enduring. Again, good for Gene, though, that's pretty big for him, but, like, someone probably got married somewhere in the last few minutes, and that's really damn good for them, but I'm still in a shit mood. Not the best analogy, but you get the point, I hope. Just ignore me, I guess, I'm just in full "lmao salt XD" mode and this is probably all blind rage.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, TimmiT said:

I said that we know stuff this time, wasn't implying that it's big news. And again: hyperbole. And again: big news for Sonic Retro.

If you want to go digging, see the times that I said on Twitter where I was reacting to it getting attention, and also when I said we didn't expect this reaction.

You tell a starving Sonic fanbase there's big news coming soon and are surprised when said Sonic fans react bigger than you intended?

• Thumbs Up 8

6 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

So people aren't allowed to get excited about the thought of Sonic news coming soon after so long with nothing?

I didn't even get hyped and I'm still annoyed.

You're "allowed" to do whatever you want. But when people let their expectations get ahead of reality, they're setting themselves up for disappointment. This all started as "someone knows something about something", then ballooned into expecting some major announcement about the next main game or the state of the series or who knows what, based on nothing.

e: And like, I'm not even saying you can't be disappointed or underwhelmed by this, but the scale of it is our own making.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

The misleading portion was directly saying there was upcoming news and then revealing that it was someone's acquisition of a job in a thread centered around news concerning the franchise's impending celebration. All that does is present it as an upcoming announcement relevant to the interests of people posting in this thread, which was undoubtedly the joke: "Present this thing as anniversary news but then reveal that it isn't". And while people have been slaving away over numbers and trying to wring hype from that (not sure why at this point), the fact also remains that Retro has far more credibility than Aaron who has made many troll attempts beforehand which naturally tempers any expectations coming from his mouth, whereas Retro has been good with leaks, dumps, and other news of the sort. Fool me once and all of that.

The context informs the expectations that people were going to create, and thus it is unreasonable to say that anyone getting their hopes up is actually in the wrong on this one as a result. If you don't want people to be upset about announcements that have nothing to do with the games, well, don't make announcements of announcements of job acquisitions in the game threads and attach Retro to it. This would have gone over much better had it simply been presented as news pertinent to PR in either a separate thread or a status update.

Very well said. Echoes my thoughts exactly.

• Thumbs Up 2