Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

i like this one!! eeeep!  XD

Mc Donalds Comertial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Q0_DgXHG0&feature=youtu.be

ohh wait.. this wasn't... D: or actually it was.. XD

this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3TDzKKeFw&feature=youtu.be

i saw it on internet over year ago....and i reminded i had some of those little games that came with the happy meals when i was like 6 or 7 years!

it was Olympic games themed.. i had one of Amy and Rouge tennis and i had one of Cream catching flowers.. and it was my favourite..<3 though i even didn't know who where the characters.. :P

Edited by Drawloverlala
  • Thumbs Up 4

Probably that one Unleashed trailer where Endless Possibility is playing, with the trailer ending in a 4 split-screen with different gameplay sections from different Day and Night levels playing.

Question 22: What commercials are the most memorable to you? 

Japanese Sonic 2. This commercial is great. The animation for this commercial is quite impressive and cute. It really conveys the fast atmosphere of the game with Sonic and Tails running through the corkscrew. And Tails is adorable. 

Japanese Sonic CD. This commercial is simply epic, with Sonic randomly floating with Metal Sonic and them smashing into each other in the Thermoshpere. You even see Little Planet and the mountains from the actual intro. The CGI in this commercial is clunky but it's really epic. Sonic's spines are even pointed up like how they are in CD.

Sonic 1 USA. This one is really hilarious, and it's actually probably the most memorable commercial out of all of these. I love how that old lady talks about Sonic in this without being really annoying. It's actually pretty charming. And I have to say the animation for Sonic in this commercial is really good. Like, seriously good. If Americlassic Sonic always looked more like this, then it would be a really cute design. They should have used this design for the cartoons. 

And I'm going to end with this one. 

Another Sonic 1 commercial. This one is probably the most funny with how that salesman acts during the whole thing. "NO, OVER HERE....." It's so 90's but it's so freaking amusing to watch.

• Thumbs Up 3

What immediately comes to mind is the Sonic Boom one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UEOk_wpNY

It's a silly and adorable way to showcase the different strengths and attributes of the team: put them in a domestic setting with a fairly typical suburban problem and just have them completely overdo it. A bit mind-numbing that Tails doesn't just grab the cat when he's up there, but I suppose that just adds to the comical nature of the whole thing.

Also, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQXthR_16lA

Seeing Sonic in a commercial advertising insurance was so weird... or perhaps the natural progression of stars past their prime? =P Regardless, the fact that he's not as relevant as he used to be makes such an idea an appreciated treat, and him desperately looking for insurances writes all of the City Escape jokes. Bonus points for using music from Sonic 3. *stares begrudgingly at Sega*

EDIT:

I totally just remembered this bit of hilarity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLl1H4UyEe0

I love cheesy commercials where costumed characters are having a tough time being normal people. Sonic desperately trying to fix the conveyor belt is the highlight. Shout-out to the other Olympic game commercials in this vain. I'd post them all if not for the video limit. xD

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 7

Day 22: My favorite commercial:

Sonic is such a showoff, and we love him for it! I'm also glad that a modern Sonic game actually got a 9/10 for once! (I miss Nintendo Power; they were the only major gaming magazine that didn't have it out for Sonic) And that subtle jab at Superman was awesome!

I want to read Eggman's biography, too!

• Thumbs Up 2

Sweeeeeeeeet, a commercial one! LOVE me some reminiscing on old advertisements! My most memorable commercials are...

Shadow the Hedgehog (US)

This was a friggin' cool ad just because they actually made original CG scenes for it. Yes, scenes. There were actually TWO different variations of this commercial: The one above where Shadow kersplodes something with his jumbo gun and another where he charges up a Chaos Blast. They even got Jason Griffith to provide a new line for game authenticity! Sure, it's about as try-hard and silly as A LOT of things related to ShTH, but I always thought it was a neat commercial regardless.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (US)

There was, of course, a similar commercial in this vein for the original Sonic Adventure 2, but I definitely remember the Battle ones way more. (I think they were aired a lot more on Kids WB and the like.) These were both pretty funny in the whole "try to make real animals reenact a ridiculous game starring characters of the same species" angle and also pretty freaking adorable just because of the completely oblivious little hedgies just derping around the Gamecube. Just solid, entertaining ads.

Sonic Unleashed (US)

This was a fun one. Though a bit more recent, it's always a joy to see Sega sticking to that 90's video game commercial trend of including tons of ridiculous crap like werewolf kids in their ads. Really shows that they're having fun with it rather than just churning out a game trailer and calling it a commercial.

Sonic Heroes (US)

This isn't one that I fancy that much considering it's a pretty dry punch line that has little to do with the actual game, but I remember it airing ALL THE TIME when I was watching Saturday morning cartoons, so it's definitely a memorable one for me personally, regardless of actual effectiveness or quality.

• Thumbs Up 5

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 22: Which Commercials are the most memorable to you?

This one's hard for me as I really haven't seen too many commercials over the years. However, since you want a few, I guess I'll start with this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Q0_DgXHG0. As the title of that video says, that commercial is just terrible. The animation is terrrible, the characters look weird (Seriously, why is that huge blue thing supposed to be Cream?) It's just terrible. Anyway, Next up is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4HLjJCFgQ. This just screams the 90's. And, that kid running looks like some kind of maniac. And, my last and final one for now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_h24FZsoE. As if the Japanese ones couldn't get any weirder, they do with this one. The beginning with the kids has practically nothing to do with either Sonic or the game. 

Day 22 complete!

Day 22: Most Memorable Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCPgEHeXYxQ

This is really the only Sonic commercial I have any particular memory of. I remember just watching TV one day and then... HOLY SHIT! SHADOW'S GETTING HIS OWN GAME! Those were good times...

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 20: What are your top ten (or less) cutscenes in the games? 

(I don't have time to do 21 or 22 just yet!) 

I'm gonna do 5. :)

5. Sonic Adventure 2 - Sonic and Shadow on the Ark 

hqdefault.jpg

This is really the first time Sonic and Shadow have talked without it just being super mysterious or snarky banter. They seem to have a mutual respect for one another, even though they are soon at each other's throats. It's a very good second-to-last cutscene of the hero/dark stories, and it very much has that feeling to it that you can tell this part of the story is wrapping up. And I love the quote "What you see is what you get, I'm just a guy that loves adventure! I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!". 

4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl Subspace Emissary - Newcomer Sonic

hqdefault.jpg

Ok, who DIDN'T grin like an idiot when Sonic came to save the day by spin dashing Taboo's butterfly wings? All those Nintendo characters better have thanked Sonic for saving their butts! As Naldush said, yeah, it's because he was a late addition, but it's still super badass. 

3. Sonic Adventure - Tails Saves Station Square

hqdefault.jpg

This scene is so adorable. Before chasing down Eggman and beating him to the dud missile, Tails doubted himself in being able to save the city by himself without Sonic. However, he succeeds, and he is thanked by cheers and praise from the people of Station Square, with Tails proclaiming "I did it all by myself!". In this game, Tails was able to grow into believing in himself (just look at his vocal theme song!), and his story did it perfectly. 

2. Sonic Unleashed - Opening Cutscene

0.jpg

I really doubt this one needs much explanation, but c'mon, it is SO badass. It's really cool to see a boss battle from a 3rd person point-of-view in a game for a change. I would also love to know the backstory to this interaction; what exactly did Eggman do THIS time? And if the "luring Sonic into a booby trap during a boss battle" worked this time, how come Eggman hasn't tried anything like this since? Regardless, I truly get chills every time I watch this cutscene. 

1. Sonic Rush - Final Cutscene 

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-image-sonic-the-hedge

I really like this interaction with Sonic and Blaze. At this point in the game, Blaze has gone from a loner whose sole (haha, sol) purpose was to track down the Sol Emeralds and go back to guarding them. She always kept to herself due to her powers. However, throughout the game, Sonic, Tails, and especially Cream helped her break out of her shell and realize that having friends is a good thing and that it can make you stronger (awww the power of friendship). This moment in particular, though, shows just how close Blaze allowed herself to get to her new friends. She didn't want to leave! Sonic on the other hand, also didn't want to see her leave. He actually stalls a few times, trying to squeeze in a few last moments with Blaze before she returns to her dimension. All in all, it's a very well done cutscene and for that I give it my #1 spot! 

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

Well, aside from the infamous Pakistan Sonic Heroes commercial and the Progressive ad (a mascot platformer character used in a commercial for something completely unrelated? what is this, the 90s? I love it), I'd actually have to say Shadow's commercials. That's around the time I watched Sonic X a lot, and of course they'd advertise the game, so they're weirdly nostalgic for me. Although...the most memorable one is...this, which obviously I didn't see on TV but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxBYukD9oM

..........What IS this? Seriously, the music is so incredibly unfitting for something apparently used to advertise Shadow's game. And that's not getting into the (non-ShTH) CGI. You know what, I don't even care, it's amazing, we need more ads like this. Best part is easily Shadow dancing, of course.

Also I don't think I remember ever actually seeing this commercial for Colours, but the opening bit is hilarious with Sonic eating the apple faster than a speeding bullet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWmH3uTmz5o

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh man, I have two of them. One is just an honorable mention of sorts, but still.

Sonic Heroes

SA2:B was a gift from my dad when I had no idea Sonic even existed. Sonic Heroes, on the other hand, was a game I had hype for because I loved SA2:B so much. I didn't feverishly follow it to get news, but I always would be like "DAD CAN WE GET SONIC HEROES" whenever we went to the store. He would say it's not out yet or something and I'd get mad.

I was a terrible kid.

Anyway, yeahh - I was so excited for this game and this commercial was why xP

Also, I feel a need to give a shout out to the Pakistan commercial. It's not memorable in the right way, but it's still memorable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 22: What is the most memorable *there are... actually quite a few to choose from* Sonic commercial for you?

Oh, this is actually a tough one for me. I actually have quite a few commercials I've liked over the years. Specifically the ones from Unleashed and Colors (back when Sega actually cared about marketing). Though, I think the most memorable one for me would have to be the Progressive commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kru8ZaC5Wfs

Odd since it really didn't advertise a specific Sonic game but damn did it come out of left field for me. Also, unlike most Sonic commercials, it was actually on multiple channels (not just CN) and people actually saw and recognized it. Of course, there are a few commercials for me that come close to this (one of them being that Boom commercial with that cat) but this one takes the cake.

Day 22: Most Memorable Commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC_m0kUM5LY

This, hands down.

Why? The simple fact Classic Sonic suddenly popped out of nowhere. The trailer is silent, but that quick, surprise reveal had my jaw on the floor.

Honorary mention goes to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIVSsv8s5Tc

While the game itself didn't do so hot, I say the reveal trailer had a neat idea segueing from the classic trilogy right into Modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day XXI: Commercials

My favorite Sonic commercial I've ever seen was the Japanese Sonic 3 advertisement.

Hillarious, and it manages to show off the scope and speed of the game compared to its predecessors.

Also, the SA "false start" commercials.

https://youtu.be/4wUQSgZbWz4

https://youtu.be/yt2QjbSe2hc

Let's not forget this gem:

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

Yeah it was Shadow's commercial. Truth be told this game was probably the first Sonic game I actively followed from announcement to release, and first seeing a tv commercial for the game got me hyped as fuck, and until I got the game my eyes always became glued to the tv whenever it came on.

Now I'd count Sonic Heroes commercial as more memorable if the damn thing ever aired. It was rare to see that commercial and I still generally like it better than Shadow's but I barely remember actually seeing it.

Day 22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

I'm going to mention/show off 5 commercials: in order of when I first saw each of these commercials as opposed to chronological order that the commercials were produced.

Sonic's Cameo for Honey Nut Cheerios

Sonic in a commercial for Honey Nut Cheerios. Honey Nut Cheerios! Seriously, Sonic was in a commercial for cereal! Sonic's face was all over the place in the early 90's! It was so cool to see Sonic racing around in Emerald Hill Zone along with hearing the iconic sounds of the Classic Sonic games with Buzz foolishly challenging to race him...With Sonic's cocky body language speaking for him as he didn't say a single word. Absolute awesomeness. I can't believe it's been more than 20 years since that commercial had initially hit the airwaves back in 1994  :)

Sonic Colors 

This Sonic commercial is very special to me as it was the first one I had seen in nearly 16 years since I saw one for Sonic & Knuckles back in 1994. The gameplay was the best part as all trailers had me hyped for Sonic Colors and this commercial was no different. Seeing Sonic and Tails in that gorgeous CGI was amazing! lol at Sonic and his cocky self apparently moving so fast compared to the bullet that he bit the apple before the bullet hit it and Sonic was waiting long enough for the bullet to pass by him that he was infamously tapping his foot and reading a book. Cracked, the Biography of Dr. Eggman to be exact! :P

Sonic Adventure Dreamcast Commercial-Party Time!

I saw this commercial 12 years too late in 2010 for the first time but this collaboration with various video game characters partying and dancing (including Tails and Dr. Eggman!) and Sonic on the turn-tables in the midst of a huge block party was a real treat to watch as Sonic was so into it that he was even doing it with his feet among other tricks! Perhaps Sonic was too much into it to where Gary Payton had to stop him. I totally lost it when Sonic said "My bad!" afterwards. Hilarious! And I would hire Sonic to be a DJ pulling a performance like that!  :P

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

I could not believe my eyes when I saw this video back in 2010-Sonic and Mario-officially in a game together?! I had no knowledge of the first Olympic game starring these video game icons so this concept was new, fascinating and shocking to me as I thought I would never see such a thing in my life considering Sonic and Mario's previous rivalry. And Sonic and Mario having difficulties with airport security-from Sonic's iconic sneakers blocking and backing up the conveyor belt to Mario's buttons setting off the manual metal detector to Sonic getting stopped for having rings in his pocket...the shenanigans here were classic along the lines of hilarity :P

Sonic Boom (TV)-Cartoon Network 

It's recent, but it's very special to me. I was already excited about us getting a new Sonic cartoon for the first time in 10 years when Sonic X's original run came to an end in 2004. Seeing Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks and Dr. Eggman as well as hearing Sonic, Amy, Dr. Eggman and Sticks had me all kinds of excited. Probably the best part upon seeing this commercial memory-wise was seeing the reactions of my 7 year old niece and my then 9, 8 and 1 year old nephews. They were all excited and cheering and I remember my baby nephew scream "Sonic! Sonic! It's Sonic!" That excitement and that enthusiasm for Sonic Boom hasn't worn off with me and the kids in the slightest as we make it a point to watch at least one episode of Sonic Boom together-hiatus or no hiatus-every week :)
  • Thumbs Up 7

My most memorable ad would probably be this American Sonic 1 one:

Probably the first retro ad I ever saw, so there's that. There's also this gem with Sonic and Knuckles being a pair of elves' fanfiction/game mod made official.

• Thumbs Up 5

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

I have not seen a Sonic commercial in many years here. They were more common when I was little self. But there is one commercial that I do remember sort of. It was a commercial for Sonic 3D Blast. I not sure what the commercial was but I knew it was interesting and I found the commercial and posted it here. At the time though I thought it was the greatest Sonic game ever but eventually realized it was not great. I saw the commercial but only have small faint memory of the commercial here. It is the commercial that I remember even if I do not know remember commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_H3sacVdyY

Day 22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

Well, I can admit one thing; I don't think I've ever seen a Sonic advert on television, so I don't have any nostalgia regarding them myself. There is one that sticks out in my mind though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFNoZWfT0I

Sonic Pinball Party was a very minor instalment in the series, so much so that it's the one Game Boy Advance game people are likely to forget existed. And yet, the one thing saving it from being totally forgotten is this single advert. It's short, but it's very widget-esque. There's a frustratingly catchy tune involved, there's the weird dance...sway that the kids both do, there's Sonic's behaviour when he loses that leads to a pretty strange resolution. It reminds me a lot of Japanese Crash promotional materials that ran in the 90's, and that's a weird but good thing.

Day 21 - Interactions I'd Like to See More Of...

Hmm, I've not really given this one much thought before. I guess I'd like to see how Blaze and Rouge would get on. Rouge being quite confident and Blaze being reserved and independent. Blaze's guardianship of the Sol Emeralds and the Jewelled Sceptre could perhaps be tested against Rouge wanting to own said treasures! :D

I guess I'd also like to see more of Amy and Silver; since in Sonic 06 she pals around with him quite easily, but they end on pretty bad terms... I mean the mofo did try to kill her dahling Sonic! :D

Day 22 - Most Memorable Advert

When I was a kid I swear I saw Sonic in an advert for a bank or building society; it was a medley of various pop culture at the time, I'm pretty sure Bart Simpson was in it too, for example(!)... and towards the end Sonic would jump onto a blue couch, Rings would pop out of it accompanied by the noise Sonic makes when he loses them... and then he'd land and do his signature fingerwagging pose. I have never seen any actual evidence of this advert on YouTube or whatever, but I am pretty damn sure I saw it! :D Also, in the 90s TSB ran a brief campaign for teens to start saving, by handing out posters of Sonic juggling coins (yeah, coins! Not Rings!) on a background of various shots of Sonic CD. I still have that poster... somewhere and for a while it was my favourite thing on my bedroom wall! :D

aha... here it is:

c23e7bbe-bbbb-470f-9a6d-ea218b03a649_zps

(For a second I wondered if this photo is my poster!! Cause we had some rank-ass carpet like that back in the day...but naah, can't be... no such thing as digital cameras back then. XD)

This video is also quite vivid in my memory:

The "Gimme a Cyber Razor Cut!" man plays Sonic in a rotating dentist's chair! I seem to remember the ninja being a bit scary, but I guess being thrown into the air was quite scary for 7 year old me! :D

Non-video wise, this advert appeared in STC a few times:

23f22c0f-878a-40ae-8baf-38b536239eef_zps

Guess how many Milky Ways I ate that summer?! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 22

Short answer because there aren't that many commercials I remember,her, but I'll have to say the UK Sonic Colours one. It was on TV when I was going through a Sonic dark age and I still remembered it after I got back into Sonic. Now I know that this commercial isn't exactly loved by the community, but in my opinion choosing a rock cover of 'Colours of the Rainbow' is no doubt fitting and the commercial basically did its job without being too obnoxious, and the commercial did stick with me.

There was also the "sponsored by Sonic Generations" that they showed on Sky 1 before The Simpsons in 2011, but less so.

Favourite commercials

Now, I'm Italian so I don't have any commercial that makes me nostalgic. Rarely I've seen a Sonic commercial on TV. Maybe there was something about Colours or Generations but eh.

So I had to look on youtube. And here are my favourites.

Sonic Adventure 2 : Good VS Evil hedgehog.

Only because it's freaking cute. But, then again, I think that hedgehogs are one of the cutest critters in existence, so maybe I'm a little biased on the matter.

And then there's Sonic Spinball's japanese commercial, voiced by the blackest Japanese man I've ever heard.

That "FUNKY ACTION!" is a thing of beauty.

I am pitied that this commerical hasn't been mentioned yet.

Seriously, the opening feels so 90s as fuck man. And then it just all Sonic 4 on ya and have the Sonic costume guy just standing there at the side of a building.....

Man, this commercial is so weird yet so awesome.

AND I STILL LIKE LOST WORLD 3DS MORE THAN THE WII U VERSION!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 22: Favourite Adverts (Yes I'm calling them adverts)

Sonic 2006: "Welcome to the Sonic Age"

There's a certain amount of unintentional truth to the opening monologue:

"A new age has dawned, and the world will never be the same again. Welcome, to the Sonic age!"

Oh, if only we knew. Well, by the point I think most people did but the point still stands. 

Getting past that, it does do a good job of showing the game in good light. The game does indeed look fun to play there which is really what counts in an advert. They've also thrown in the "Next-Gen" buzzword that was all the rage back then just for good measure.

It's almost surreal now though, seeing the game listed at £49.99 RRP.

Sonic Generations: "Mmm, Sonic's"

Members that were here in the run up to Generation's release will likely remember this. I'm sure The Simpsons on Sky 1 continues to be popular so it was a great move for SEGA to get Sonic in there four times an episode by sponsoring the show. The short promos do a great job of getting the game's premise across in such a short time frame while again conveying the fun factor.

No doubt there were some families that sat down to watch the show and first learned of the game through these sponsorship plugs. Even for just a brief moment, it'll have got viewers talking about Sonic amongst themselves. Even my non-gaming parents mentioned it to me after having seen it themselves.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can vaguely recall seeing a Sonic & Knuckles advert, precisely once at the time of its release. Just seeing the footage of Flying Battery hyped me immensely.

I have searched youtube, and this is what I got for a UK Sonic and Knuckles advert.

I have almost no idea what the hell that is, except the Flying Battery clip is in there. It must have been this. What the hell?!

Oh, I have a soft spo for the Sonic Adventure Japanese adverts with the plushies too.

• Thumbs Up 1