Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day 20: My top ....five, I guess- cutscenes:

5) Sonic Adventure 2: Robotnik shoots the moon

Menacing, epic, and it establishes the Doc as a credible threat.

4) Sonic Adventure: Big's epic escape

I love how Big managed to fly the Tornado 2 off the crashing Egg Carrier! (Although the way he was holding onto it made me think Froggy might have been the one piloting it)

3) Sonic Heroes: The real Super-power of teamwork!

As Metal Madness sprouts wings and soars, the three stars of the party join hands and transform! (Well, one does)

2) Sonic '06: Shadow gives Silver the boot

Like I said previously, this was both hilarious and cathartic after putting up with Silver for far too long! And the sound effect made it all the more brutal!

1) Sonic Generations: Twice the Robotnik, Twice the Super, None of the backup!

I was lucky enough to not have the Time Eater plot twist spoiled, so I was legitimately surprised to not only see Eggman in total control of an Eldritch Abomination for once, but to see good old, roly-poly DR. IVO RRRRRRROBOTNIK! (And classic Tails calling him by his proper name made me squee out loud!) And I was so pumped up when the two Sonic's floated into the air, lifted and empowered by the Chaos Emeralds. That line delivered right before the transformation was perfect!

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 20: What are your top ten (Or less) cutscenes in the games?

Right, here we go with Day 20. I'm going to list three. Anyway, here we go with some cutscene business:

1. Sonic CD: Oopening

The reason why I chose this one is not because of the music even though it is good but rather, I mainly chose this because of how the cutscene is animated. It almost looks like what probably would have happened is Sega was to make a cartoon based off the game. So, a good way to start off one of the few good Sega CD Games but that's off topic. Moving on...

2. Sonic 06: ''Hey Sliver, can I kick you please''?

There might not be a lot of this cutscene in particular because it is just one clip of Shadow kicking Sliver but it's this spot because it's one of the funniest moments in the game. A game which already has a lot of funny moments, which is only added to with this scene.

3. Sonic Unleashed: Opening

How could I miss this one? This is one of the most loved cutscenes in any Sonic game for a reason, the animation. It's so good, it looks like a CG movie. Two, it feels epic. In just a few minutes, the player is treated to amazing animation (As if I couldn't keep gushing about the animation in this) and the scene is just big, huge and epic within a matter of minutes.

And that's all I have to say for this one. I was going to do more mainly because the ones above are the ones that jump to my mindd whenever I think of something like this.

Day 20 complete! 

Question 20: Top 5 Cutscenes (Because I can't think of 10)

1.Sonic Adventure's intro

I love the slow build up to as the song slowly starts and then begins picking up more and more energy as Perfect Chaos begins to attack. Then we cut to Sonic running, as Open Your Heart begins to play and then we get all the other characters joining in and facing off against Perfect Chaos while the music plays perfectly in sync with it, and we get some epic shots like Tails flying through the flooded Station Square and Eggman standing up on the Egg Carrier as it flies, it's just really great.

2. Sonic Heroes' Intro

I just love the speed and energy found in this intro cutscene as the great Sonic Heroes plays in the background. I love how it also gives the player a tutorial without them knowing it, with Sonic being able to run fast and jump between walls, Tails being able to fly over gaps and up walls, and Knuckles being able to destroy walls, it shows the player what each formation can do without them even being aware of it. Plus the fact that it shows off each team to a great theme song, and it's the first intro I saw from a Sonic game, which brings back nostalgia.

3. Sonic CD Outro (JP Version)

Honestly, I always liked Toot Toot Sonic Warrior better than Sonic Boom. It's still a good song mind you, but I always thought Toot Toot Sonic Warrior was better. I also like You can do anything better as well. But I love the smooth animation that's featured here, I really like the soundtrack and that's about it.

4. Sonic & The Black Knight Intro

I like how detailed and how good the CGI animation is in this intro, I like how Sonic's protrayed as a cool, slick guy who doesn't guve two shits about who's trying to threaten him, and I like how as soon as he's thrown into this dangerous strange new world, he still springs to action as soon as he learns someone's in danger. It's just really great overall.

5.Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: Hero Side Story: Sonic Vs Shadow

I just like this cutscene and how it protrays Sonic. After Shadow walks in and talks to Sonic about how he managed to survive death, he questions Sonic what's his deal, why he keeps going on, and how he managed to get so far, only for Sonic to reply in his normal chilled out voice ''What ya see is what ya get! Just a guy who loves adventure! I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!''. I just think it's a great cutscene.

• Thumbs Up 4

Question #20: What are your top ten (or less) cutscenes in the games?

1) Sonic Unleashed Intro: Being the game that got me into the franchise helps, but it does stand well on it's own due to it's intensity, great quality, and Dark Gaia popping out of the shattered Earth.

2)Sonic Adventure Intro: Perfect Chaos appearing through the building was always cool for me.

3)

Sonic becomes Excalibur Sonic: Excalibur Sonic was always one of my favorite forms, and this short but sweet transformation sequence really nails how cool it looks.

Question 20: What are your top whatever number cutscenes in the games?

In no particular order

Sonic CD Intro

This has to be one of the best character defining moments for Sonic ever (Besides the Unleashed opening. It's just Sonic acting like Sonic. He runs, he does stunts off of objects, he changes his speeds depending on what area he's in, he goes from confident to surprised in whatever situation he's in, and he looks on top of the situation the whole time, which is what Sonic does.

This has to be one of the best animated cutscenes ever in a Sonic game. That's probably because it was done by Toei. Sonic has incredibly great proportions, expressions, and movements. His spines are incredibly impressive in how they flow with how his head is facing. His expressions are some of the best ever. They are simplistic, but really leave their mark on you. You see him with a confident looking face, a brief surprised expression, and then a glare towards the Little Planet which is definitely showing he's not playing around anymore.

His running animations are extremely good. They are extremely fluent, both when you can actually see his legs and when he's doing several variations on the Peelout.

This cut scene seriously has some of the best "speed" I have ever seen. Sonic truly looks extremely fast in all of this. Especially when he jumps from the tall mountain to Little Planet's chain. He rolls down the mountain, does a supersonic jump(You can see the Sonic Boom on the lake below) onto the chain. When he lands on the chain, it takes a few seconds for him to get his balance. When he starts really moving, he has a brief moment of acceleration before he reaches top speed and is probably going over thousands and thousands of chain links in seconds. It seriously takes 3 seconds from him landing on the chain from him being totally out of sight. You can see a faint circle on the chain indicating where his is, and it moves extremely fast before going out of sight completely. Sonic seriously has to be travelling thousands of miles per hour, judging by how many chain links he traverses and how large they are compared to him. No other cutscene reaches the speed of this one.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles Angel Island opening

This cutscene is one of the best due to it showing in an extremely short time our heroes, villains, and the very basic plot. You rush onto Angel Island, Knuckles punches you out, all the emeralds fall out, he takes them, you gotta stop him. All in 18 seconds. That's it. It's great.

Sonic and Knuckles' fight in Mystic Ruins

This series of short scenes is great in Sonic, and Knuckles and how they react and bounce off of each other. Sonic's sarcastic line of "Somethin' buggin you?" after Knuckles starts punching is gold. I also love how they start arguing after Eggman takes the Chaos Emeralds. I love how pity filled Sonic sounds in most of his lines toward Knuckles, and how Knuckles returns with "Me? What about you?" when Sonic asks if Knuckles got tricked again. It's such a stupid comeback that I can't love it.

Oh yeah, and the way Eggman shouts "Chaos" is the fucking greatest thing I ever heard in my life.

"Chaaoooooooos......."

And that's all I can think of right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic characters that I sound like? Umm...can't really say that I sound like ANYONE from the series. XD Closest thing I can think of is having similar vocabulary to Eggman and liking to work in as many more obscure terms and words as I can to make myself sound smarter like the good doctor would probably be one to do, but that's about it. Hope that's a good enough answer. XD

For favorite cutscenes, I'm going with a Top 5 with one-per-game to keep things simple and quick:

5. Eggman's Fury (Sonic Lost World)

This one makes it to number five just because of Zazz's line: "Where you gonna live when your world's dead, guys? OH RIGHT! YOU'LL BE DEAD, TOO!" I LOVE how sadistic the Deadly Six are that while they drain the life out of millions of beings on a planet below, they go to the trouble of actively TAUNTING their enemies that everyone and everything they know will be dead in a VERY short time. Zazz just yucking it up while doomsday is coming to Sonic's world is one of the reasons why I thought the Deadly Six were really great villains. Eggman's also got some pretty darkly entertaining stuff in this one.

4. Slightly Hero Ending (Shadow the Hedgehog)

I've already talked about this one in last year's 30 days of Video Games thread, so I'll keep things brief. This is probably the most subtle that ShTH EVER gets and I always feel sorry for Shadow every time I see this ending. Pity that the true ending basically ignores it, because Shadow coming back to stand against Black Doom as a hero after losing his resolve here would've been a really cool turn for his character and would've helped further reinforce the whole "Forget the past, all that matters is here and now" conclusion that he comes to at the end.

3. Ending (Sonic & the Secret Rings)

Sonic is SOOOOOOO freaking bad@$$ here. He's tired of Erazor's crap and he's not going to freaking take it any more. The sheer ferocity that he throws out his demands at combined with the wishes manifesting as shots directly into Erazor's weakened state really make this scene not only cool, but satisfying as all heck. The bittersweet ending with Shahra also ends the game on a nice, different note in constrast to the total domination that occured before it.

2. The Dark Queen (Sonic & the Black Knight)

Another storybook game, another FREAKIN' BARDARSH Sonic scene! Even though Merlina has WAY more power than Sonic could even FATHOM at this point and he's left with a broken sword, does he give up? HECK NO! He just keeps charging at her faster and faster until he wins! He won't stop until Merlina comes to her senses and that PERFECTLY exemplifies the kind of character that Sonic is. He never gives up, no matter the odds and always strives to protect both his personal friends and the innocent in general. Even though he knew nothing of chivalry just a short while ago, he's a true knight through and through.

1. Opening (Sonic Unleashed)

What more can I say about this scene that hasn't already been said? Beautiful CG, great direction, tons of cool action, and just a perfect example of Sonic as a whole, taking on Eggman single-handedly and coming out victorious despite that. The good doctor isn't undersold, though, as he manages to defeat Super Sonic, afflict Sonic with an unusual new form, shatter the very planet itself, AND eject his hated enemy to the Earth below ALL in this one cutscene! I certainly can't think of a better way to start off a new game than THIS. This is fast. This is fun. This is entertaining. Simply put, this is SONIC.

• Thumbs Up 6

DAY 20: My Favorite Cutscenes (But Only One From Each Game)

#10. Unleash Gravity

The Hero story opening in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is pretty sweet. Everything from the meteor streaking across the sky, to the robots activating and marching menacingly towards the screen, to the robots giving chase to Sonic and friends as they drive through a futuristic city. It’s awesome, it really makes you want to play the game. (Sorry the highest quality video I could find has gameplay attached)

#9. Sonic Heroes Intro

This one holds a bit of a special meaning for me as it’s what sparked my interest in the series. It looks neat and it does a great job of highlighting the team mechanic.

#8. Sonic Chronicles Ending

Don’t you just love unresolved cliffhangers? No? Well neither do I but the ending Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood is still pretty cool. Our heroes return from the Twilight Cage and are immediately shot down by Dr. Eggman, who has conquered the Earth in the interim. A great moment for the good Doctor. (The video has several short cutscenes interspersed with text box dialog, but they all go together)

#7. To Night Palace

This is a really cool scene, Sonic watches as Night Palace lights up in front of him, Erazor unleashes his henchmen with some neat special effects, and Sonic harnesses the power of the flame and begins storming the castle.

#6. Shadow the Hedgehog Intro

Say what you will about the game itself but the intro did a great job of establishing Shadow as a total badass. Not only does it look cool but Crush 40 once again delivers with an epic tune to make sure it sounds cool too. 

#5. Sonic Unleashed Intro

It’s just really cool and really well animated. No seriously that’s it.

#4. “I Will Fight Like I Always Have”

Oh God. Now I’m going to get swarmed by telling me that Sonic ’06 sucks. As if I didn’t already know. But regardless of the games overall quality Shadow’s story was undeniably a highlight, it’s actually really good, hard as it may be for some people to believe and this scene is the best of them all. If Shadow never gets a prominent role in another game again I can at least be happy that this is how he went out.

#3. Sonic Adventure Intro

I’ve already talked all about this one as part of my most nostalgic moment so I’ll just direct you there for an explanation of why this intro kicks ass.

#2. Day X

This one doesn’t need much explanation. It’s Eggman’s finest hour, it proves he’s an actual threat not just a punchline.

#1. The Dark Queen/Excalibur Sonic

Technically it's two cutscenes but in practice the latter is just a continuation of the former. I could gush about this scene all day, it’s got the best written Sonic ever going up against a well written, likeable, and sympathetic villain. When Merlina breaks Caliburn Sonic absolutely loses it and charges in with reckless abandon. Then even when Merlina beats him within an inch of his life he gets up and continues fighting, not for chivalry but for what he believes is right. His sheer determination rekindles the lost light of Excalibur and lets him turn the tables on Merlina. It’s AMAZING, easily my favorite cutscene(s) in the series.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 19: What's a good Sonic character that fits the "Adult Squeaker" kind of voice?

So this is kind of a tough one. I'd guess I would go with Silver. We don't sound entirely similar, but at least in tone it's pretty much the same. The way we talk seems so brash, and the recklessness that comes out of our mouths. I guess that would reflect both of us in personality and voice, so it fits well.

I'll do Day 20 when I'm not so tired later haha

;o; ahhh!! that's a large one! i just will post a top five

namberrrr one! because its so woow! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=442r0nMO7Jg&feature=youtu.be

Segunda!  *o* 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-5A9FELS8&feature=youtu.be

third because is so edgy! and i love Shadow's face here! the expressions and well .. amazing after the SonicHeroes CGI cutcenes .. this shows a lot of improvement..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbes238CsJA&feature=youtu.be

four  well... i just love thsi cutscene..brotherhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DyFKcpqrQM&feature=youtu.be

<3 and five!   well.. this one is my fav since here Chip learned that he never saw how wonderful was his world even though when he was taking care of it for the very begining of the time (?) it just made got realize that ..i don't know many places on this big world... and i just know the usual ones on my country.. wich is beautiful...

i'm sure gotta go outside my bubble someday and see the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07g3hbFIJIY&feature=youtu.be

This be the hardest question for me since I not know hardly any cutscenes. I never hardly played any Sonic games with cutscenes and this like real challenge. I only try for 3 at least.

I have seen the Sonic Unleashed intro cutscene and it looks real nice. It has lots of detailed animation. It has Dr. Eggman being his mean cruel self. Like if it was real movie that be great.

The Sonic Colors one where Sonic and Tails are going up the elevator into space was interesting concept. Imagine if that was real there.

Finally pick the cutscene with Sonic and Shadow thinking they are both fake character. I found that to be amusing and somewhat funny.

Okay that be it for me than. This was hardest difficult to answer there.

Day 20: What are your top ten (or less) cutscenes in the games?

I love cutscenes in Sonic games, so there is no way I'm not going to take advantage of an opportunity to gush about at least 10 of them here:

10. Sonic '06 Opening

D0oMxfY.png?1

An eventful opening with a festival, fireworks, missiles, Dr. Eggman attacking and Sonic showing up doing what he does best-save the day and shows his cockiness-all with a smile :)

9. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: Hero Side Story: Sonic VS Shadow

GWzQDsg.jpg?2
Sonic acting cool, calm and collected and definitely cocky while keeping it real in an awesome portrayal of him here. Especially after escaping death. Even Shadow himself was seemingly impressed even though that didn't last long as he threatened Sonic with his life shortly after.

8. Sonic 3 Opening

dyyuUgC.png?1
I have to give the Classics some love here. Especially since this short scene was the official debut of Knuckles, who definitely made a big impression by knocking the living daylights out of Sonic and taking all of the Chaos Emeralds and running off-not before laughing at Sonic with that big stupid grin on his face. Sonic and Tails had their epic moments too beforehand: you had Tails flying the Tornado and Sonic turning into Super Sonic so at least everyone had a moment to shine here :)

7. Sonic CD-US Opening

ObqJh8w.jpg?2

This classic piece of animation is still amazing after some 20+ years since its debut. Sonic is running around, leaping, and flipping about with a serious and determined, yet adorable look on his face the entire time. The scene is so great that I don't even mind Sonic not saying a single word as the epicness of the scene speaks plenty for itself in addition to Sonic's various facial expressions. While both music tracks sound great in this awesome opening, I like Sonic Boom more. Especially due to the lyrics being more fitting IMO.

6. Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric-Sonic and Knuckles Exploration Gameplay Cutscene

lTdwyhA.png?1

qtGQIHv.png?1
If there is one thing I really admire about the Sonic Boom sub-series, it has been the character interaction. It's something that has been at the top of my wishlist for Sonic games for quite some time to see the characters in the Sonic series actually interact with one another and this cutscene from the exploration gameplay gave me that and then some between Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy with hi-fives and amicable gestures shown to one another. Even though Sonic was being antagonizing by teasing Knuckles here, that amicable gesture Sonic made to Knuckles indicated that he wasn't being hostile and that he was playing and joking-somewhat :P You just don't know how excited I was to finally see Sonic and friends talk to and interact with one another as this was some really good stuff.

5. Sonic Lost World-An Unlikely Savior

There was so much going on in that cutscene and I just loved the interaction between everyone. Amid the banter, the conversations, jabs and interactions between Sonic, Tails, Dr. Eggman, Orbot and Cubot just felt normal, yet it was so great to see. Then Dr. Eggman saves Tails from getting crushed by the robot with Cubot and then Sonic freed Cubot from being under the robot. I just loved Cubot's genuine apology after Sonic set him free. And that "scolding" from Sonic to Tails-that higher-pitched tone full of worry was perfect as it was very paternal/big brother-like. It sounded like Sonic was really freaked out over the matter. And of course Tails was very sorry and you couldn't help to feel bad for him as all Tails wanted to do was help Cubot out, which speaking positively about Tails' character in itself. I love how this cutscene in the midst of giving us character interaction, characterization was demonstrated as well. It was like the best of both worlds.

4. Sonic Colors-Sweet Mountain/Starlight Carnival Pre-Boss Fight

Shenanigans, disappointing tension and some funny moments aside, this cutscene had fine characterization of Tails. When Dr. Eggman was about to fire his mind control ray at Sonic, Tails pushed him out of harm's way, and took the hit. Tails had no idea what the ray could do but without thinking about himself, he saved Sonic's life with the possibility of him dying if in fact that was the purpose of the ray. Tails immediately reacted being more concerned with Sonic's welfare than that of his own. That was both incredible and impressive showing me that Tails has a lot of heart and character. Sonic's care and concern for Tails made this cutscene even sweeter.

3. Sonic Unleashed Opening

Tons of intense action that felt very movie-like and looked absolutely amazing in CGI. Specifically we saw Sonic confronting Doctor Eggman (nothing new here), but in space with huge robots, along with bullets flying and things blowing up amid a lot of other destruction going on. Within minutes Dr. Eggman was able to trap Sonic, not once, but twice, even though the first time was to no avail when Sonic turned into Super Sonic. Still, he got Sonic TWO times all in a matter of minutes!

But alas, we saw a flaw of Sonic, being too cocky with the corny joke-telling and falling for Dr. Eggman's trap of pleading for mercy, and boy did it cost him being caught the second time! By the 5 minute mark Sonic had become the Werehog and the Chaos Emeralds were gray and useless. Also Dr. Eggman revealed his intentions with creating Eggmanland right after he fired the laser that woke up Dark Gaia and split the planet up. That's a lot to happen in just that cutscene with a lot more action and adventure in Sonic Unleashed to go!

The Final TWO

If there is one thing that I am very clear about what I love in the Sonic series, it's characterization. Especially that of Sonic's and I feel his characterization in the Storybook games is one of the best portrayals of the character out there. I could talk about this all day but I'm just going to talk about two moments where I feel Sonic's characterization shined the brightest among many. Starting of with:

2. Sonic and the Black Knight-A Knight's Duty

I just wanted to touch on this cutscene right here from Sonic and the Black Knight. Despite Sonic having to accomplish Lady Nimue's tests within a limited amount of time, those circumstances could not and would not prevent Sonic from helping out the "distressed and crying child". He was going to help that child no matter what. Sonic comforted the kid with a genuine pat on the head and said he would help get his parents back in fighting the dragon, which apparently, he did. This act of kindness and selflessness is consistent with the notion that Sonic is always willing to help out anyone in need, no matter how much it may inconvenience him or no matter what it may cost him. It's definitely an example I aim to follow.

1. Sonic and the Secret Rings-White Ring

This cutscene here, these 49 seconds in short, left quite an impact on me! It is clearly obvious that Sonic is in a lot of pain and collapses, yet he refuses to let his guard down nor allow Shahra to worry about him or place the blame on herself for Sonic being struck with that flame along with the assurance that everything would be okay. Sonic didn't want to show that he was in pain; therefore the half-hearted chuckle trying to cover it up (which I thought was some fine voice acting by Jason Griffith), which he was trying to do so Shahra wouldn't worry about him. This selfless attitude of Sonic deeply impressed me, as the last person he was thinking about was himself, even though Sonic was clearly suffering.

Also notable is how Sonic changed the situation quickly from negative to a positive to cheer Shahra up, even apologizing after he collapsed and at the same time worrying Shahra. This is all something a good friend would do and Sonic demonstrated that here and throughout the game as he always does.

I thought Sonic saying "It's gonna take more than some tiny flame to bring judgment down on me!" was a pretty convincing line that he was okay and still the same ol' Sonic amid all the pain he was in. Despite the fact that he was suffering, Sonic was optimistic. He usually is no matter what! He never gives up nor allows anything to get him down. This cutscene really showed me among many other times that Sonic has a lot of heart and is truly a hero as he was willing to continue on the journey to help Shahra despite the fact that he was suffering and in pain as well as really helping me to admire Sonic as a character even more than I previously did and is my favorite cutscene overall  :)

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 17: Most Amusing Character Design

1z20u4k.jpg

This guy: Titan Tails

For ages the Archie comics were building up a reveal for Tails as "The Chosen One", possibly giving him a much bigger role in a story than ever before, but when the time comes around to get closure for this plot thread, instead we get... this. This is possibly one of the worst climaxes I've seen in archie history, but more imoprtaintly, this is probably the worst super form of all time.

Yup, this is a super form. In the story, Prime Tails fuses with all the other Tails from all other dimensions at the very last split second, forming this monstrosity. But the most hillarious part of it all is... he doesn't do anything with this form. All he does is... this:

2wokd8j.jpg

Not only is it one of the ugliest and rediculous super forms out there, but it is also possibly the most contrived plot element to ever come out of Sonic lore outside the chaos emeralds. Whenever I see this form, I laugh a little inside.

Outside of that, though, proobably Snively:

SnivelyRobotnik.jpg

Seriously, bananna nose, short stature, bald head with five single strands of hair, and a minature eggman suit... what isn't amusing about this guy's design? How did the Iron Queen become attracted to him in the first place?

Day 18: Character you would most likely befriend?

Hmm... I'd probably go with Silver on this one.

Time-Traveler-silver-the-hedgehog-352519

He's a dork, I'm a dork... *shrug* I just think we'd get along well if we ever met. He's definitely one of the tamer Sonic characters, so I could see him wanting to hang out somewhere if his day was free.

Day 19: What character do you sound like? 

eimDOr.gif

This guy

Man, when I first heard this dude talk, it was like I was hearing a recording of myself in a video game. From that very first "Hey", I knew we had a connection somehow. Sure enough, when I looked into his background, all I could find was solid proof that he, at the very least compared to everyone else in the VA cast, was related to me. Somehow.

So yeah, here's to you... guy...

(in all seriousness, yeah, I think this is what I sound like the most. Granted, my voice fluctuates like crazy with stern, serious, laid back, elated, dire, or just playful tones, but I really can't think of any Sonic character outside of this guy that fits me.)

Day 20: Top Sonic Cutscenes per game

I'm gonna do top 5, since I'm on such a tight schedual right now:

#5:

Sonic Colors' Intro

I feel like this one deserves it's place in this list because of the role it played in me being introduced into the series. It's superb animation, whimsical nature, and clear set-up for the game definitely make for a pretty sweet intro, as well.

#4:

(Skip to 21: 12)

Knuckles doesn't know his own strength

There are a lot of great moments of dialog in Rise of Lyric. In fact, some of those great moments don't even happen in cutscenes all the time. Finding a favorite line is hard, though I specifically liked this scene's visual gags harkening back to the game's mechanics. It's really just one good moment of many, though.

#3:

Sonic Unleashed's intro

Who doesn't like Unleashed's intro? It's intense, action-packed perfectly animated, and looks like it came straight out of a Pixar film. Really exciting opeining point to start the game out on.

Sonic CD's American ending

You've defeated Dr. Eggman's final boss. Sonic begins escapong from Eggman's base, which is falling apart almost immidiately after you've beaten him. You rescue Amy, Little Planet is finally free, and you lay one final blow into Eggman's mobile.

And then the chorus kicks in, perfectly synced with the up with the footage. The animation, the guitar, the flashback to previous zones in animated format... it's just awesome the way it's handled. I don't know how to explain it, exactly, but it is.

#1:

(skip to 0:50)

Sonic and Merlina's confrontation

Everything about this cutscene is perfect. The music, the story, the characterizations; everything. Sonic trying to reason with Merlina till he gets fed up with her worldview, his perservierance even when things look their bleakest, Caliburn stepping in to save Sonic's life, Sonic's rage, Sonic's resolve, Sonic's theme It Doesn't Matter kicking in... literally everything. Love this cutscene, and an awesome segway into an awesome transformation and an awesome final boss.

Days 17, 18, 19, and 20: Complete!

• Thumbs Up 3

There aren't really in any particular order, just whatever comes to mind. I'll stick with these five cutscenes, but I might edit this post with more cutscenes later if I think of any more.

Sonic '06: Sonic's Intro

Actually, I like all three hedgehogs' opening scenes, but Sonic's does stand out to me for not only being pretty cool in general, but also having some fun too. When Sonic bounces into the scene (and off of robots) before lightly kicking that remaining badnik over, it always puts a smile on my face. Naturally the cutscenes that were made in-game were never going to look even nearly as good as that CGI, but it would've been nice to have more writing like this at least.

Sonic CD: Ending

Sonic-cd-sparkles.jpg

As exciting as the opening is, I honestly love Sonic CD's ending(s) more. Both the good and bad endings are fairly similar, the main difference being that in the bad ending Eggman almost gets away with a Time Stone, but Sonic (hilariously) stops him by throwing a stone with a Spindash--imagine having that as a move in the games--but ultimately Little Planet is still trapped. The good ending doesn't have the funny bit with ol' Robotnik, but hey, it's still a much happier ending with Little Planet being saved! Oh, and I love the scenes during the credits, too.

Sonic Lost World: Eggman's Fury

This is still one of my favourite scenes in the game. Eggman's amazing, Zavok and Zazz get to be dicks, and the other characters are just left amazed by, well...Eggman's fury. It's also kinda cool to see Robotnik show off his surprising physical strength off, it's no wonder he was a Power type character in Riders.

Sonic Unleashed: Opening

...Does it even need to be said?!

Sonic Adventure 2: Hero Side Opening

This is honestly my favourite opening cutscene in the series. Yes, really. As far as intros with action go, it's fairly simple compared to the likes of Unleashed, and even CD, but honestly that's kinda why I like it. Sonic breaks free, rips a piece off the helicopter, and fearlessly leaps off just to escape the government. If that isn't inspirational, I don't know what is.

(I also like the Dark Side's intro with Eggman breaking into G.U.N's base 'n' stuff.)

• Thumbs Up 5

I haven't played a lot of the modern era games, so my choice of cutscenes will be more restricted, especially as I can't think of any from Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow that deserve to be in a Top Ten.

Sonic 2 - Ending

How the hell am I first to say this? The slideshow may be due to technical restraints, but it works. Having Sweet Sweet Sweet play as well makes it absolutely perfect.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Hidden Palace

This scene tells so much without needing to use a single word.

Sonic CD - Ending

I like it when at the end of a journey you get a sort of retrospective of just how far you've come, not to mention the way Sonic backs away from Amy after rescuing her.

Sonic Adventure - Opening

I first saw this via Mega Collection, having at the time not played anything after Sonic R. It just completely blew me away with the quality of the graphics and the sounds of Open Your Heart.

Honestly, nothing really stands out from Heroes, Colors or Generations either...except maybe Classic Tails recognising the polluted water from Chemical Plant. Uh...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Opening

Sonic was in that, so it counts, right? ....right?

Day 20

For the sake of giving a long and detailed answer, I'll only do one. But this particular one is without a doubt my favourite cutscene in the franchise.

http://youtu.be/P92wur4qBqc

Yes, the opening cinematic for Sonic Unleashed. Firstly, let's get the obvious out of the way; it looks absolutely GORGEOUS. If Pixar were to do a Sonic movie, this is probably what it would look like. The animation is fluid and the character animations have some slight 'bounce' to them, which is basically what you would expect from Sonic. The actual narrative of the cutscene is, simply put, brilliant. The first half could actually serve as a general synopsis for the franchise: Eggman is hatching a diabolical plan, Sonic comes along to kick ass and take names. The beginning of the cutscene where air raid sirens are wailing and Eggman's defences are being obliterated by Sonic really goes to show how the writing in Sonic games CAN be good, and I really wish there were more moments like this, more specifically, one on one showdowns between Sonic and Eggman.

I also really liked the later half for one reason; Sonic loses for once. Usually Sonic will just kick Eggman's ass and call it a day but here Eggman actually gains the upper hand and accomplishes his goal (blowing the planet to pieces and unleashing what I assume is Sonic's World's equivalent to Satan).

I actually like a vast majority of the cutscenes in Unleashed, and I think my last would probably comprise entirely of Unleashed cutscenes (Nepenthe loves me right now).

I found the dynamic between Sonic and Chip to be somewhat endearing and the writing didn't come off as though it was trying to hard. It had a nice balance between light heartedness and darker moments, and the cutscenes really convey this balance well. I especially love the other CGI cutscenes by Marza, where the characters don't speak and only convey emotions through physical expression or grunts.

Day 20! My top ten (or less) favourite cutscenes in the games!

Not sure if I can name ten, but I'll go for at least five. X3

Dayum does this get you all excited to play Sonic Adventure! A great opening to an equally great game, I love the epic feel and tone of this opening and how Live and Learn pops up near the end. The FMV's look a wee bit dated nowadays, but it's still an effective opening to a Sonic game.

So I like Marza as much as the next guy, but I think Blur Studio did a great job with the Shadow the Hedgehog and especially Sonic 06 cutscenes despite both games being shite. Sonic's opening cutscene in Sonic 06 does look a bit too much like Final Fantasy XII, but it's still gorgeously animated and has great writing compared to EVERYTHING else in the game! Sonic is acting himself too, in fact he acts like himself in all the CGI cutscenes! What went wrong?

Such an adorable, colourful and fun anime opening. <3 I watched the Sonic Boom version first, but I think You Can Do Anything suits the style and animation of Sonic CD's opening much more.

I've always loved this opening for Sonic Riders. The stylish colours and art style, the cool animation and music...it's Production I.G., they can do no wrong.

And at number one, isn't it obvious? The Sonic Unleashed opening! Fantastic animation, brilliantly paced and non stop action and fun. This cutscene is so good, it rivals Pixar quality animation easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite cutscenes... my list would be:

Sonic Adventure - No Androids to Absorb, but Chaos is Perfect Anyways

I love how Perfect Chaos makes his appearance. It seems like Station Square is fine and dandy, but then the sewers get flooded. Manholes are opened as large geysers erupt from them. Then the ground cracks, buildings break and release large waterfalls, flooding the entire city. The weather is dark and stormy, Station Square lies in ruins, and then a fucking dinosaur head made of water forms. Quite the step-up from the brainy blob of water we initially saw. And it still looks amazing today.

Sonic Heroes - Metal Sonic Pulls A Maleficent

Yeah, I may have preferred Heroes' final boss if Metal fought with just his Neo Robo-Sorceror design as his trump card (which I still really like, elf shoes aside), but I like how he initiates the transformation into Metal Madness/Overlord - he sends fucking lightning down onto Eggman's airship and creates it out of the debris. Much like Perfect Chaos' appearance, it still looks pretty good these days.

...if only we actually fought that lightning-shooting Metal Sonic though.

Sonic '06 - The Most Misleading Opening Ever

Somehow, I feel like this would work best if it were used as a bait-and-switch trailer. Like, at first it looks like it's going to be a Final Fantasy game revolving around this city of Soleanna and their god Solaris, but then robots suddenly appear, and then fucking Dr. Eggman and Sonic appear. I dunno, that just seems funny to me. It would've been even funnier if Eggman had his more familiar design and was more hammy while everyone else stayed the same. Aside from that, Sonic actually acts like Sonic, he kicks ass, and the game looks like it's going to be great!

And then you see what lies beyond all that.

Sonic Unleashed - The Most UNmisleading Opening Ever

Unlike Sonic '06, THIS opening actually sets the tone for the game up pretty well. Eggman's got a massive ultra-glossy space fleet and is cackling like a madman, then Sonic shows up to stop everything. He speeds through and past many robots, then Eggman doesn't wait for him - he gets into a mech and shoots shit up. And then Super Sonic happens, Michael Bay orgasms and Eggman strikes back by defeating Super Sonic and breaking the planet into pieces. I love this cutscene, and I am sorely disappointed that we didn't get a level based on this cutcene. It would've been awesome.

Sonic Generations - Me, Myself and Ivo

Aside from the awesomeness of Eggman actually overcoming a MOTW for once, Classic Eggman showing up in glorious HD 3D was an awesome sight in its own right. As was the nice reference to being called Dr. Robotnik. Not much else to say, I just really like it.

Sonic Lost World - The Zeti Strike Back

Much like what Crusher said about the earlier cutscene of Eggman using the Conch, I love how this shows that Eggman had complete control over the Deadly Six and only lost it not through his own fault, but rather that of Sonic's. We also get to see some quirks of the Zeti just through their body language as Eggman berates them: Zavok stands proud and defiant against his master, Zomom feels guilty and nervous about his failure and Zazz simply doesn't give a shit that they're being told off. And once they do break free, I love how they show just how dangerous they are - they hijack the Badniks and turn them on Eggman, then they chase after him and try to outright kill him. I also kinda like how they don't care that Sonic basically freed them - they don't like his face and they try to kill him too. I just like that for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 3

You're fully aware this is just going to be a top Chaotix moments list for me, right? Because there's no way I can keep that bias out. >:/

1. "As Soon As I Conquer the World, I Will Pay You!" 

Starting off, a cutscene that pretty much accurately shows the usual ending to a typical Chaotix mission seen in-game; all that work, no result. Vector gets to show off his smarts, which is one of his key defining traits, there's some good physical humour and Eggman gets his own shot at a funny line. It even gets a callback in the last story.

2. "I'm The One You Should Be Counting On, Croc Breath."

Who doesn't love a bit of opportunity to see the Chaotix just talking to themselves on a mission, when it's usually just going to end with someone (Charmy) getting silenced by force? The fact that Shadow can just remedy the situation with a karate chop is pathetically funny (and gets a call back in the last story as well) and there's a nice moment of trust near the end.

3. "...I'll Just Go While Y'all Settle Your Dispute"

The cutscene starts out like a typical ending scene really. Espio thanks Silver for his efforts and tells him to be safe when he travels back (and then is never referenced as knowing Silver again in future games). And then Vector shows up to expose how Espio completely fucks up in communicating properly. I mean, in order for the last bit to play, the communicator must be on, but Espio's just completely ditched it and ran off in fear. That's not...what?

4. "Hey, Don't Pass The Brunt Onto Me, Silver!"

(Skip to 31:49)

Basically the reverse of the above cutscene. This time it's Vector who fucks up with the Whitestone searching, and Espio is more than willing to call him out on it. And Sonic doesn't even have the option of leaving so he just has to stand there and watch as Toad just makes thing worse. Being Sonic is suffering.

5. "You Know What? You're Goddamn Crazy"

[Cutscene Not Available on YT, it's Sonic Colours DS, Mission 4-2, After you beat it perfect second time]

Sonic never really does get a break. After being jump scared by an invisible force, Sonic is made to complete a mission to do Espio's job. If you do it again with a perfect rank, he's so impressed that he offers Sonic a chance to do some training alongside him. Sonic isn't exactly enthused by the idea and clearly weirded out by Espio here. Vector has a very similar equivalent, but I'd say the fans would more likely expect Vector to be viewed as crazy by Sonic. Here we see that Espio isn't any better and is all the more fitting in the Chaotix for it.

6. "Sacrifice...You'd Think It'd Be More Epic"

So we the intro scene, where we get to see the bonds of the characters summed up in a few seconds of seeing them at the party. THe Chaotix get arguable the most amusing show of it outside of Amy being held back, but I actually love this scene because of what happens after the Time Eater strikes. During the attack, we see the characters try to resist a bit individually and then eventually get sucked in because of force. Espio can stick to walls indefinitely so in theory he should be able to resist much better. Well, in what seems to be the only additional little bit of character interaction, Charmy is sucked in before the reptiles can react, Vector slowly starts to lose grip as well, which spurs Espio to try and save him. As a last resort when Vector finally loses it, Espio reaches out his arm as a lifeline...but immediately is uprooted himself as he was distracted enough to negate the super stick. It's only less than three seconds in length, but it basically feels like the game rewarding me for trying to look deeper into the game than most people would care to look. :D

7. "Oh Hey, She Was A Normal Girl Once, I Nearly Forgot."

(Skip to 2:22)

Now we're starting to look outside the box! In all of Sonic Adventure, all the scenes revolving around Tikal involve her interacting with the Emerald shrine or defending the Chao or generally showing off how ethereal and mystical she is. When Tails gets his flashback, you see the sole exception to this. Here, while she has got her grandmother's teachings related to the Emeralds present, she's very much shown as an ordinary girl. She's still learning and getting to grips with what she's been told, she's curious and she's warm to new people that she meets, in contrast to the rest of her people (or at least the ones who were with Pachacamac) who were conquerors. It's nice to see this side of her, and how she gets along with Tails.

8. "It Was Nice Knowing You."

So you've managed to beat both the Hero and Dark story in Sonic Adventure 2. You've seen the narm, raised eyebrows at the plotholes and watched through plenty of cheesy moments on both sides. This cutscene, first in the last story, manages to both tie the stories together in a singular moment and throw us a twist that completely changes the stakes. It's a powerful cutscene, especially as we see Gerald's diary being read out and the reactions to it from the characters. It's a moment of despair that unites the characters to bring hope back into it.

9. "In Space, No One Can Hear You Awoo"

Okay, this is one I know a lot of people will likely have. For me, this has quite a lot of memories attached. I'd just got my PS3, and this was the first game I put into the machine, My parents were in my room watching because they were curious about how it looked. Enter this cutscene. My parents were amazed, and I was impressed just by the scope and grandiose of it. Looks downright beautiful, it's full of energy, has that sting at the end, and is generally one of the best openings to a Sonic game ever made. 

10. "Fuck you Knuckles."

I don't like Sonic 3 but at least it has that.

So there we go, four cutscenes that I really like. Took a while to compose this one!

NUMBER 10 IS.....The opening to SatSR

One of the things that makes this particular opening distinct and likable to me is that it is so very unlike any other Sonic game opening with their tendency to be all flash and frenetic. Instead, it's laid back and takes it's time with vital exposition that isn't drawn-out and irritating. It's cool because it depicts Sonic in such an original scenario; At home, having a snooze after having read a good book. That's cute :3

I like how this scene depicts the distinct difference between him and Shahra who is a great character in her own right, he's flippant and cheerful (Despite being sick with a cold) and she's more serious about the situation. It also sets-up a small aspect of the ending regarding Sonic's wish which is cool.

NUMBER 9 IS.....Sonic's opening in '06

I give '06 a lot of shit, shit that it deserves but I try to be a fair fan nonetheless and give props to the game where I feel that it's due.

This cutscene deserves one of those very few props.

Gorgeous visuals, wonderful music, Dr Eggman being his glorious villainous self and Sonic....being Sonic. I just love how the sense of humor melds into the badass display of robot destruction that the Hedgehog gives. Him tapping the last standing robot with his foot with only the smallest amount of force and watching as it keels over backwards Is exactly the kind of subtle comedy that perfectly fits into place within the flow of the cutscene and isn't forced, isn't dragged-out.

NUMBER 8 IS.....Tails confronting Dr Eggman after his missile fails in Adventure

One of the best examples in the franchise bar none of just how intimidating Dr Eggman can be when he's at his wits end and just wants to slaughter the source of his irritance.

"Away...before I make mincemeat out of you"

Deem Bristow's delivery of that line is what made it. Ice cold fury.

And then there's Tails assuring himself that he's not scared of the doctor and that he can take him down without Sonic's assitance....just awesome. One of the things that cemented him as my fourth favorite Sonic character.

NUMBER 7 IS.....SatBK's opening.

Like the '06 example I elaborated upon above, this cutscene balances action with comedy which is in my opinion the way to do comedy in Sonic games instead of shunting aside the action and the plot to express it *Glares at Colours*. We see another example of the timeless running gag that is Sonic and his.... less than positive relationship with the ground and his oh so cool flair in destroying the knights of the underworld with such casualness, again only the way he can.

NUMBER 6 IS..... The opening to Sonic CD

Mega Collection is right on the money when it states that this scene is very good at expressing the dynamic nature of Sonic's swift movements because it really is. Accompanied by the wonderful song "Sonic - You Can Do Anything" ("Sonic Boom" can go die in a fire), this scene is a classic that stands by itself and isn't mirred by accusations of the nostalgia glasses being applied to it because it's that good.

NUMBER 5 IS..... The ending to Sonic CD

Like the intro it's very good at showing the dynamic nature of the character's high speed movements. And "Cosmic Eternity" is one of the all time great Sonic songs.

NUMBER 4 IS.....The capsule scene in SA2

Notable for displaying Sonic's, Tails' and Dr Eggman's best traits - Sonic's impulsive nature, calmness in the face of danger and resourcefulness, Tails' loyalty and him being someone who can truly be relied-upon and Dr Eggman intelligence, deviousness and ruthlessness.

Dr Eggman coming this close to killing his most worthy adversary after having tricked Tails into telling him which emerald is genuine when he already knew in order to put culpability for the Hedgehog's "fate" on the kids shoulders (That's such cold-hearted bastardy), Sonic learning how to perform Chaos Control with a fake emerald whilst being calm in the face of certain death enough to do so and Tails swearing vengeance and going on to canonically win cements this cutscene in my mind as amongst the greatest ones in the entire series.

NUMBER 3 IS.....Sonic confronting Merlina, the queen of the underworld in SatBK

I could write a thousand posts exulting the sheer greatness of Sonic's entire portrayal in this game.....but I won't :] But this cutscene is the one that truly exemplifies his will to continue fighting even in the face of adversity, his loyalty to his own ideals despite being nearly battered to death for them, his somewhat violent nature when enraged by the things he hates such as one-sided sadness....wow.

What aditionally makes this cutscene great is how original a villain Merlina is when it comes to this series. Even though she's a rotter for having manipulated others and ruthlessly beating Sonic nearly to death you gotta admit that in one way she is pretty sympathetic and it is understandable why she wants to do what she's doing - She's motivated out of love for the kingdom. She just so happens to have the wrong way of going about it.

It's a refreshing and original premise for a Sonic villain.

NUMBER 2 IS.....the Unleashed opening

Pure undiluted awesomeness from start to finish. Like Dreadknux stated on the main page when this scene was leaked in 2008, it's the finest bit of gold mined from the caves at the foot of Mt Win.

Stunning visuals, wonderous music from the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, Sonic being his usual badass self decimating Dr Eggman's robots and ships effortlessly like a hot knife through butter, him having his arrogance be his undoing when he was so absorbed in belittling the doctor that he failed to notice him springing a trap, Eggman being ruthless in torturing the Hedgehog and spltting the world apart...

They don't make scenes like these any more. Which is a shame.

NUMBER 1 IS.....The ending to SatSR

Incredibly satisfying ending to a game that in my opinion has the most intelligently-crafted story in the series.

Again, lovely visuals and sound ("REVIVE" is such a triumphant song), most of the plot points are neatly tied-up and it's satisfying as hell to see Sonic get his own back against Erazor for being put through hell throughout the game.

One thing I really like about this cutscene is how it shows two very different sides to Sonic's character well - His no-nonsense, rightly prioritised and ruthless side and his sweet, forgiving and compassionate side shown in how he treats and condemns the evil genie and how he consoles Shahra. His final wish is a cool nod to the intro and is perfectly in-line with his personality (You deserve a medal in missing the entire fucking point when you say he should've selfishly wished for something else)

So yeah, this ending still has a big place in myheart and only just nudges out the Unleashed intro for the title of best Sonic cutscene. But only just.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, in no particular order:

-Ending (Sonic 3 & Knuckles)

Yay for nostalgia goggles! But really, what makes Sonic 3's story so great is how it provides context to the events. It's a nice and simple send off to such a big build up. Sonic and Tails flying off back across the sea without anymore exchanges with Knuckles feels very fitting for them. It doesn't feel too bare-bones, but it doesn't drag it's feet either, it's the most satisfying way to wrap up not just this game but also the classic trilogy as a whole.

-Sonic vs Shadow (Sonic Adventure 2)

A very defining character moment. SA2 was great at build up and pay off, and this scene is no exception. I love the way it builds up from a slow walking to a frantic chase leading into the actual boss fight. Everything from the music to the dialogue comes together so well for one of the best climaxes in a Sonic game.

-Transform into Excalibur Sonic (SatBK)

This moment is the point in which the concept of Sonic wielding a sword in Arthurian legend becomes so ridiculous that it goes full circle and becomes awesome. I mean just fucking look at it!

-Opening (Sonic Unleashed)

The closest Sonic comes to feeling like a movie. The music, the cinematography, the animation; this was the next-gen Sonic we were waiting for ever since the beginning of the 7th generation of game consoles. This was the moment that reminded everyone why Sonic was so awesome.... and then immediately reminded people why Sonic's been so ridiculous lately.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ooh, it took me awhile to get a clear list but I think I can do it now:

10. Sonic 4 Episode 1's only cutscene:

https://youtu.be/fPqCzewaq_s

Now, this is a riot, the body language is simply hilarious and Tails' rocket appearing out of nowhere? Down right funny.

Plus, I'm a fan of the music that appears in this cutscene.

9. "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!"

https://youtu.be/5NNhz905i78

Probably Sonic Colors best line of comedy next to Eggman's PA announcements,  can you really imagine the day Sonic would say this before the game came out? 

Plus, Sonic is charmingly cocky here.

8. "I like running better!"

https://youtu.be/aA-yILpGYro

This is one of the first Sonic cutscenes I ever saw, and boy, did it give me a good impression of him.

He loves adventure, he's strong, he's somewhat cheesy and best of all, he didn't endanger the pilot despite having every reason to do so, what a nice guy.

Plus, you got to love that mix of It Doesn't Matter.

7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.  All the endings in Sonic Adventure

One reason this list took so long is because I love all the endings in all the stories of Sonic Adventure, Sonic and Tails show two bros reunited after a long adventure, Knuckles shows the duty of the guard of the Master Emerald are hard, but worth it, Amy shows how much she grown through the game and the bird is finally together again, Gamma is bittersweet, Gamma is no more but his flicky lives on and thus so does his spirit, and Big's has him doing a most amusing celebration of his friendship with his frog friend.

Of the endings, I have to say Gamma's the best of the bunch.

1.  You can do anything with a Sonic Boom.

https://youtu.be/JCSL7naH-8A

Back when I got Sonic Mega Collection, I would go into the extra section and watch this all the time.

The animation is great and no matter which version you get, the song is awesome.

Plus, it truly shows Sonic speed, the sight of him making a rainbow still amazes today.

• Thumbs Up 3

Meh. This was a hard one for me :S So much of it is shit that I find incredibly dorky now, but the nostalgia goggles were strong in this list, so be warned. 

pretty much every team dark cutscene - Sonic Heroes

Be polite with your judgements here. I'm not making an impartial list of what I feel to be the most well done ones in the series, after all, I'm going with my personal favorites. The nostalgia goggles are strong with this one. 

Like I mentioned in the post above, I was all about Team Dark when I first got into the series. Shadow and Rouge were like, the coolest characters ever to me at that point in time and I still remember how badass I felt controlling them. While I did prefer being able to control them individually in SA2:B, Heroes gave me a great dose of Team Dark and I couldn't have been more infatuated with it as a kid.

I remember the cutscenes the most, though. Looking back on it, they seem kinda goofy, but hey - this is a huge part of what got me into the series in the first place, even though I don't think like that much anymore.

So yuh. This is one for mah childhood.

Welcome to Angel Island, bitch - S3&K

welcome_to_angel_island_by_theriverkruse

I didn't play S3&K until I got older. I had grown up and started using that nasty little thing called the internet and found that people would say the classics were the vastly better games. I didn't know why this was and I was interested. So my thirteen year old self got a genesis emulator and went to town.

I gave up trying to beat the first one because I found it to be too difficult, but I loved Sonic 2 and S3&K. The latter game, however, gave me one of the most kickass introductions to not only one of my favorite characters in the series, but to my favorite game in the series.

Super Sonic just breezing through the island, when BAM! - here comes this mysterious red creature who just pounced on him. It was a great welcoming wagon, for sure, but it set up the rest of the game so well on top of being so memorable. Love it.

Now back to the childhood days, because those are the only times I legit gave a shit about most of the cutscenes.

My favorite cutscene of all time is...

I thought this was the greatest thing ever as a kid. I shipped them so hard before I even knew what the fuck shipping is. I still kind of do, seeing that I found myself looking at Knouge art just a while back, but all those years ago?

Goddamn, this was just the greatest thing to me as a kid. I go back and watch it now and it's kind of lame, honestly, but this cutscene made me so inexplicably happy as a little Lisbon that I'll refuse to take off the notalgia goggles for quality's sake with my rankings here :P

That's about it, really.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Question #20 - Top Favorite Cutscenes

Oook so, I won't add any pics because I don't want to make he page harder to open. Also I'm lazy. Mostly I'm lazy.

Anyways

10 - Sonic 06 - Sonic Appears - The First Cutscene of the game, and honestly, the one cutscene where Sonic acts like himself, it's like he got lobotomized offscreen after this cutscene, a real shame, but at least we got a few cool moments on this scene.

9 - Sonic Heroes - Team Sonic Ending - This scene was pretty cool, after all the stuff the team goes through, seeing the entire Egg Fleet being destroyed while they look at it, proud of finally finishing their jobs for now, and to make things even better, Sonic admits he wouldn't have done it without Knuckles or Tails, in a rare moment where he didn't let his ego get the best of him. Then Amy shows up. The End.

...ok, next?

8 - Sonic and the Black Knight - First Cutscene - OK THIS ONE IS FOR ONE SOLE REASON: Chilli Dogs being canon on the games thanks to this, we see Sonic for the first time eating one, and that wouldn't be the last, as Generations brought it back and ran with it.

7 - Sonic Adventure - Gamma's Death - A real touching scene, after playing with this character for so long, you really grow attached to him, and to see him go is sad, but you also know he had a happy ending in the sense he did manage to finish his mission.

6 - Sonic Adventure 2 -  Shadow VS Sonic - The great battle the entire game has been building up to, we saw both sides, their reasons, their plans, the things that keep them going, and now Sonic and Shadow, the hero who's here to stop all of this and the mastermind behind everything while pretending to be a dragon to Eggman, both prepare themselves for the final clash, discussing their similarities, Shadow even taking a moment to say Sonic might be more than he thought of him, and ending with both agreeing that yep, they're fighting, and it's the fight that will decide it all.

5 - Sonic Colors - Nega Wisp Armor Revealed - Right when Sonic and Tails are about to escape the Park, Eggman shows up in the strongest mech he had, knowing very well any moment now he'll be sucked into a black hole with Sonic, but he doesn't give a fuck, he wants to kill Sonic and he WILL kill Sonic, even if it's the last thing he does. The tension here is great, with Eggman kicking the dog a bit by telling Sonic he's powering the machine with the Wisps, and Sonic pushing Tails into the elevator to avoid him getting hurt in the battle, thus making it impossible for Sonic himself to go back to Earth, maybe the fight wasn't that great, but the build up to it was. Not to mention this was Eggman taking his rightful place as the final boss on a 3D game for the FIRST TIME EVER.

4 - Sonic Lost World - Final Cutscene - The entire game we've seen Sonic slowly breaking thanks to his fuck up not only leading to Tails getting captured, but villains much worse than Eggman taking over and pretty much killing almost everyone on Earth just to get powered up. By the time the Deadly Six are beaten and Sonic defeats Eggman, you can feel his happiness, not only because everything is back to normal, but because he finally went back to his comfort zone, the Six during the entire game took him away from it, and to have him come back to it, after an entire game of having nothing but shit from everyone and everything, just go back to the planet he almost saw die, and sleep around the friends he thought were gone is just something he deserved at that point.

3 - Sonic Unleashed - Intro Cutscene - This one explains itself, I mean, have you seen that thing? It's fucking gorgeous, and Sonic and Eggman are perfect character wise, with Eggman playing with Sonic's ego for his own favor and Sonic right before that just destroying Eggman's entire fleet in one go.

2 - Sonic CD - The Intro - The first animated intro in the series, the first of many obviously, and at the time it was amazing to see all the stuff we could do in the game animated on that style. To this day the intro holds up pretty well, with both You can do Anything and Sonic Boom being classics.

1 - Sonic Generations - The Reveal of the Time Eater - This one was probably one of the best moments in the entire series, everyone in the fanbase can agree. After an entire game hinting that another monster of the week was taking over, with Eggman being captured, we see the Time Eater is nothing but a giant robot, and who's hiding it? None other than Eggman AND Robotnik, but no one calls him that anymore! The two doctors chatting, the references, Sonic's friends cheering him up for the final battle, and the epic Double Super Sonic Transformation makes this probably the best gift for Sonic's 20th anniversary.

Ok that was a big one, but hey, 10 to go, BRING IT ON!

Oh man, I need to catchup on some questions... 

Question #18: Realistically, which character(s) would you say you would have the biggest chance(s) of befriending?

Hero,_Nuetral_and_Dark_Chao.png

I can't lie, these little guys are the first thing I would befriend.

I would go to the Forgotten Forest (Where all the Chao who had to say Goodbye go) and adopt all of the ones who wouldn't mind being my friend.

In no particular order...

1) Sonic Heroes - The Last Story reveal

Yes yes yes I'm going to get this out of the way now. Why? Because this is the one that still resonates with me the most, aside from the glorious Unleashed opening (more on that one later). 

Here we are; all four teams converging on the deck of the massive Final Fortress Whale Shark battleship, gazing upon a figure in the stormy shadows. There, the real antagonist of the story, Metal Sonic appears, revealing his plans for complete, global satura-er I mean domination with him at the helm. As the heroes (and Eggman) look on, Metal suddenly summons a BOLT OF LIGHTNING, destroying the part of the area of which he stood...THEN A CRAZY-ASS VORTEX WHIPS UP AROUND HIM AND THUS BEGINS HIS TRANSFORMATION INTO METAL MADNESS.

As he completes parts of his form he lets our a startling roar; the Egg Pawns run away in fear (pretty nice touch if I say so myself, especially since Metal Sonic wants to build a 'robot kingdom' and his likely minions are scared out of their programmed minds) not knowing what could happen. The cheesy dialogue aside I really do like that whole scene as it turns the lightheartedness for most of the game on its head, at least for that one moment.

I don't care if it's hilarious as hell compared to what we got in later entries, as a kid I was so into it and I thought it was cool as hell.

2) Sonic Unleashed - Opening Cinematic

To many a Sonic fan to be THE magnum opus for all Sonic OP scenes, it still can't be beat in my opinion to this day. It really feels like the opening to a well animated Sonic feature film. And here I thought the Egg Fleet was something; Eggman's space fleet here was a sight to behold. Immediately we get action; Sonic triumphantly makes his entrance in what appears to be his ride in flames with the Earth as the backdrop. That right there tells you this aura of badassery Sonic comes across as. Then he zips into the main quarters of the ship; dodging Eggman's barrage of missiles with DA GREATEST OF EASE. The doctor has enough and-well yeah you get the idea you seen it. Point is; not only it establishes the game's plot beautifully, it does so with giving you the sense of a grand adventure and no other Sonic game to me since this game made want to really jump into the world. 

3) Sonic CD - Animated Opening

What can I say that hasn't already been said hahaha. No really this whole animations signifies Sonic CD for me. It has this charm to it that really resonates with what Sonic was in the early-mid 90s. Even to this day I still get goosebumps watching it even though I never played it in its original form. To me it's kinda what Unleashed's opening did in its own right; set up the plot in a wat that makes sense, showed Sonic's skills, and had a magic to it that other Sonic openings (games and/or otherwise) that it had over others in its time.

4) Sonic and the Black Knight - Excalibur Sonic transformation

While I Black Knight don't really do anything for me (besides from the music somewhat) Excalibur Sonic's transformation is the one thing I certainly remember. The gold armor, the cape, the sword everything about that looked cool to me.

5) Sonic 3 & Knuckles - The Hidden Palace Mural/Reveal

I think this deserves special mention, given that the classic quintet didn't have much to show in regards to actual story (besides from the simple stop Eggman/Death Egg/etc). But this whole scene (from the arrival to Hidden Palace Zone, to the Knuckles fight, to Eggman duping Knuckles and what follows) brilliantly shows the turning point of the game's story without the need for words. It pretty much SHOWS you (but you probably already knew this) that Eggman was tricking Knuckles the whole time, and Knuckles himself feels embarrassed and ashamed of believing him. It shows character development, again, without the aid of words and I gotta hand Sonic Team the credit for that. 

Also, that fight between Sonic and Knuckles with the famous mural depicting Super Sonic and Eggman fighting over the Master Emerald is a BRILLIANT piece of foreshadowing.

• Thumbs Up 3