Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Day 22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

This one was shown on a French TV News before the game came out and I had the chance to see it. I was so amazed ! I really thought the 3D bits were going to be in the game. And Tails was so cute, and it was animated Sonic (AoStH wasn't released yet)... I think I drew during all the evening about what I've seen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 20: What are your top ten (or less) cutscenes in the games?

Oh. Um... This is tough since I can't really answer this without it seeming like a simple list. I'm just gonna do my top 3 or something.

3. Sonic Colors opening

I've never really liked Sonic Colors, but... I love this opening. I love the music and the action and all that. Showing off the Wisps and Color Powers was cool, and it just looks pretty overall. Plus, Sonic punches Eggman. NICE.

2. Shadow the Hedgehog opening

Not gonna lie, I really liked this intro. It's so cool. Lots of people find it to be hilarious but I personally think it's one of the coolest openings in the entire series. It's just... Awesome.

1. Sonic 06, Shadow's last cutscene

Man, this was a cool cutscene. After beating Mephiles, Shadow tries using the Scepter of Darkness, only for it to fail. Then we see a bunch of Mephiles clones everywhere, ready to kill Shadow and Co., saying the world will turn against Shadow. Then Shadow takes off his Inhibitor Rings, and says that really cool line I think I mentioned before. And the music... THE MUSIC. Orchestrated All Hail Shadow sounds glorious. Hoping one day we get a full version.

Day 21: Which character interactions would you like to see that aren't common?

Honestly I'd like to see Shadow interact with some of the minor characters, like Cream or Espio. I loved the interactions between Shadow and Marine in the comic, so something akin to that would be nice.

Day 22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

Probably the Progressive one. I thought that was really cute and funny.

Sonic Generations: "Mmm, Sonic's"

I remember these dancing animations being ripped from the game during the huge leak, and subsequently how disappointed I was that I hadn't seen them beyond that. Glad to see they weren't entirely wasted!

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #22 - Favorite Sonic Ad

The Progressive Insurance Sonic Comercial.

It was right after Generations, and lots of people made some pretty funny jokes about why Sonic would need insurance, not only that, but we saw the return of the Unleashed human designs, which is the one that fits the most with Sonic. But the main reason is because not only this is right after Generations, it's the first comercial to have Sonic like this for a long time, it was a good feeling of ''Sonic's popular again'' that was boosted(heh) by the fact we had a pretty good streak of games now.

Then Lost World and Boom happened and now I'm not certain of what will happen next.

Oh well :U

Question 22 DOEN

Day #22: What commercial was most memorable to you?:

There are only a handful or two commercials that really come to my mind when I saw that stuck with me. I know I've seen more, but I'll keep it down to at three.

Sonic Unleashed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY_6RzDYvsw

This was another commercial that grabbed my attention in wanting to buy Sonic Unleashed. Little did I know the horrors of the Werehog sections that awaited me…

Sonic Colors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWmH3uTmz5o

I saw this a couple of times and I still thought it was still funny when Sonic was reading a book about cracked eggs (lel) while the bullet was still going across the screen, in slow-mo for him since he’s… fast.

Mario & Sonic London 2012 Olympic Games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzNcixxdnZs

There’s no way I could’ve forgotten about this one, especially with the end where Sonic cheerfully raises his hands for the Chili Dogs. I really loved those commercials with Mario & Sonic really. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Day #22: What commercial was most memorable to you?

Sonic CD's japanese one is pretty memorable;

The CGI may be primitive but it works well and looks great nonetheless. And I love how "Sonic - You Can Do Anything" is included. And Eggman's image imposed over the Little Planet awesomely emphasizes his domination over it.

This one for the Tiger handheld version of Sonic 3D is memorable for being so audacious;

It's funny for how misleading it attempts to be. They purposefully interject footage of the Mega Drive version to detract some attention away from the fact that it's a primitive 2D LCD game :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3

Urgh, I was postponing these responses because I really didn't know what to put for Day 20. Ah well, the deadline is here soo... It's ok if I don't post video links, right? 

Day 20: Favourite Cutscenes 

With Sonic games, I don't tend to have favourite cutscenes. Maybe one here and there but the thing is, I can never remember the names (assuming I knew they had a name) but the ones that wow me the most are opening cutscenes. Also I'm doing 3 for this because 10 is really too much. For me anyways.

#3: Sonic Unleashed Intro

This opening cutscene has amazing CGI and shows what Sonic is all about. He's snarky, he always foils Eggman's schemes, and he's a little too careless due to his big ego. I think newcomers to the franchise could easily get what Sonic is about with this cutscene, and with amazing visuals to boot!

#2: Sonic Colours Intro

This intro has some really nice cartoony visuals, which I believe was when Sonic started getting more silly, more fun, straying away from the serious and epic stories of Unleashed and Black Knight. At first I wanted more of that realistic sort of CGI with Unleashed and Black Knight, but then came to love the style of this. The colours are so bright, the animation is so lively, and the explosions and lighting effects are top notch. It's just an overall beautiful opening piece.

#1: Sonic Riders Intro

Sonic Riders had a really unique, special art style in the first game, I feel. I wish future games held that style but oh well. I love the graying out of "back parts" of the characters. I'm not sure how to call it, but you know, where they have those slanted lines. Like, if Sonic's arm is on his hip, and the other extending outward, the one on his hip is grayed out like that? I like that style, and in this opening we got to see it in an animated form. This is something we've only seen in CD before, so it was a real treat to see another hand drawn opening. There's also that burst of colour that brings the characters to life. It's just so pretty to look at.

Moving on. :U

Day 21: Uncommon Character Interactions You Want

Knuckles and Big the Cat

Why, you may ask? Well, I just want some more comedy is all. And I'm always thinking of ways the Sonic games could have a silly plot. Remember my predictions with Lost World? ...No? Oh.. okay..

Well, anyway, I feel with these two characters a lot can be done. For example, we could have Knuckles wanting to find Master Emerald shards (again) and Big wanting to find Froggy (again) and have them always get in each other's way. Though, they'll be teamed up for reasons I don't know. But basically I'm thinking something like Big thinks he sees Froggy, drags Knuckles over there, Knuckles tries to lure Froggy using bait of some sort, and then Big finds Froggy only to find out it was a Master Emerald shard that was tumbling downhill. Or something like that. I'm not sure if my idea even sounds that good on paper, but in my imagination it seems to work out well enough.

Day 22: Most Memorable Commercials

Yeesh, another hard one. Having grown up in Greece, I didn't really see any Sonic advertisements on TV. Video game advertisements are kinda non-existent here. Except for Pokemon for some reason... But those stopped a long time ago, after Diamond and Pearl I believe. Anyway, I do recall seeing one advertisement for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games back when the Nintendo Channel was still a thing on the Wii. And I remember getting pretty excited for it. I can't seem to find it on YouTube now, but I'll just link to this because it's somewhat relevant.

Actually, yeah this is relevant. I recall seeing these on the Internet when the game was first announced. So hey. Yeah, it's not what I was talking about but it still counts.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 22: Most Memorable Adverts:

That's an easy one. It has to be the Progressive Commercial they showed a few years back;

There's just something surreal about an established video game character being used to see car insurance, but it was rather cool. I wonder why he even needs insurance though. Does this have anything to do with City Escape? xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Woah, I'm pretty late on this. I'm still behind, and because I was busy today I wasn't able to get Days 21 and 22 up. I'll post my Day 20 thoughts here before it's too late.

Day 20: The Sonic Theater of absolutely amazing cinematics

Let me get this out of the way, I love cutscenes in video games. I don't like games that favor them more, but it's always a treat to see a game more focused on gameplay have some form of it. Most of my picks here are openings and ending cinematics. I’ll only go with 5 this time around, since it’s hard to really come up with more.

We're Sonic Heroes!

With a badass opening theme to boot, this opening shows the 4 teams in action, doing speedy and intense action. It's epic, it's attracting, and for the time it looked alright.

The Opening of Sonic CD

This. This opening. I'm pretty much echoing what everybody is saying here, this one is awesome. It's background music is different in the US/JP versions, so I preferably pick the JP version as I like it's soundtrack better. It's stylish, it has a neat art style to it, and it captures the speed and actions of our favorite hedgehog perfectly.

Sonic Generations Opening/Teaser Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOGJo-rup0

If you saw this teaser trailer (the soon-to-be the opening of the game), you’d be a pretty excited Sonic fan. Seeing Sonic pulling off all of those sweet moves from the Boost games, followed by a introduction of Classic Sonic appearing alongside him is pretty hype, and it’s a teaser trailer that I’m pretty sure a lot of people watched over and over.

SONIC UNLEASHED’S SUPER BADASS OPENING OF OPENINGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHxGoFERZw

This opening is beyond amazing. It’s beautifully done in CGI, and is basically a full scale war between Sonic and Eggman. Seeing him topple ships and enemies with relative ease just looks so epic. It’s pretty sad that we won’t get this kind of effort in future CGI cutscenes in later games. Despite the heavy action in the cutscene, it’s still simplistic enough to simply be “Sonic VS Eggman”, which is the defining rivalry of the Sonic games.

Sonic Lost World’s Opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEm9OYY9SvE

Sonic Lost World’s opening begins with a fully orchestral soundtrack that fits the tone. Interestingly, it’s the first time a Sonic game had a CGI Cinematic intro since Sonic and the Black Knight. Release after that (Sonic 4 Episode 1, Ep 2 had a cutscene at the start but I’m referring to CGI openings, Generations and Colors) immediately began with the first level first, so seeing this was an interesting pace of change.

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

I know everyone and their mother/father/whatever have seen the famous Pakistan Sonic commercial, so I'm not even going to get into why that deserves to be at the top of everyone's all time Sonic commercials forever and ever...SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo...

For starters, this particular Sonic Heroes (no real surprise there at this point huh) commercial struck a memory that tug my childhood heartstrings. Since Advance was the only initial way to get my Sonic fix I've never seen the other eight playable characters before. "Ohhhhhh another Sonic, but all dark and cool-looking? Whose are these three? Detectives? Huh? Who's that bat woman and how-huh, a rabbit and a purple cat where did they come from?" Were a combination of questions I'd ask myself in anticipation of the game. That, and I was so absorbed into the levels that were shown.

Another has got to be the Sonic Generations commercial. you know the one. Sonic speeding through a mostly colorless Green Hill Zone, and then one jump up in the air, followed by a Spin Jump later...

sonic+generations+commercial.PNG

This little guys suddenly appears. I remember the marking out moments from this scene alone, I know for some this was a rush of nostalgia slapping you in the face with glee. For me, and since I never really grew up with the classics, it didn't have the same feeling. Rather, I was psyched because this was more of a 'Whoa, I didn't think it would happen ever in a Sonic game' thing, not a nostalgic feeling. Either way, this one really jumpstarted a new-found feeling of positivism (for the most part) that entire year for being a Sonic fan. It helped that SEGA actually went all out with trying to market the hell out of this game.

What commercials do I find the most memorable?

Despite being the Sonic fan that I am, I barely saw any Sonic commercials. Maybe I was always on the wrong channel at the wrong time to see any, but I got my Sonic fix from other places at the time as a kid. There are commercials that I really love though, the Sega Dreamcast and Sonic 06 commercials.

It's cool to see Sonic hang out with other characters inside a console, cool concept. Seeing any piece of Sonic 06 marketing gives me fun nostalgic vibes. The ambition put into 06 before it came out somehow makes me more happy then disappointed in the final result.

The board ate the draft I was working on (that's what I get for not backing it up, I guess), so I'm going to try to burn through some questions as quickly as possible. If some of them don't count, that's fine, I still want to answer them best as I can anyway.

Question #19: Regardless of how close or how far the similarities start and finish, which character(s) would you say you sound the most similar to?

My voice is a little deep, not greatly, but I think if I had to compare it to a character, I'd have to go with some incarnations of Knuckles, probably his Adventure voices, since they're generally smoother sounding voices. I mostly noticed this because I sometimes read my comics aloud (when no one is around, of course), and I find Knuckles is the character I rarely, if ever, have to do much work with to change my voice. Sonic, for example, I have to pitch up slightly, though I still stick within my natural range (influenced by Smith's Sonic), or Shadow I might try to be a bit quieter or more reserved (influenced by Thornton's Shadow, but also by Matt Mercer's roles), though I admit I'm not very good at maintaining either of those voices like I can with Knuckles.

I have been meaning to record some stuff at some point, so maybe I will and y'all can be the judge.

Question #20: What are your top ten (or less) cutscenes in the games?

Chopping down to five (videos following soon):

5) Sonic Heroes, Team Dark's Ending

While Sonic Heroes is a game that's light on story, one thing I think it actually does quite well is its character interactions, and this is particularly exemplified by Team Dark and Team Chaotix.

There are two things I love about this scene: First off, I like seeing both how Rouge cares for Shadow, to the point that when she sees the Shadow Androids, but also realizes Omega's mission, and she reluctantly admits that the Shadow that's worked with them might be a robot. Instead of deciding to go and destroy him, Omega simply comforts Rouge (in his typical blunt fashion) that the real Shadow must still be around somewhere. And it seems he's not even interested in destroying THAT Shadow, either because he helped them out during the events of the game... or he fucking knew that was the real Shadow anyway (not that anyone should be surprised by that reveal).

The other thing is that, throughout the game, we get hints that this is the real Shadow, and I think the amnesia plot was horribly fumbled in Shadow the Hedgehog. Here, it's suggested through dialogue that Shadow remembers what happened during the events of SA2, it's just his past on the ARK that's unclear. He's quick to reignite some form of competition with Sonic, he recognized Rouge immediately, and he just seems more like how he was near the end of SA2 anyway. Here, Rouge mentions that she's going to go after the Master Emerald as it's unguarded, and Shadow, not missing a beat, simply smirks and says "Some things never change, do they?" showing that he most certainly remembers and knows Rouge so well. Even Shadow the Hedgehog at least tried to run with the idea that it's his past on the ARK he doesn't remember, or at least doesn't understand, but the intention was overall muddied by the script and the localization.

4) Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow meets the GUN Commander

OK, so I ragged on this scene because of the horrid dub... but I still really like it  because of the mood and the music. I also like that it illustrates that Shadow himself is really not that violent or angry, he's just confused and wants clarity. Go figure the only one willing to tell him anything is pointing a gun at him, but Shadow doesn't respond to him aggressively, but sympathetically, recognizing what the Commander went through and relating to it, and looking to set things right. This, to me, is Shadow.

3) Sonic Adventure, Knuckles confronts Sonic/Knuckles takes on Chaos 4

(Check here)*

I'm combining these because I just love the writing in Knuckles's storyline, and especially how well Knuckles was written in general. Whereas in later games, and Boom, Knuckles would be treated as outright stupid, here he's still naive, hotheaded, and impulsive. Eggman plants a seed of doubt about Sonic, Knuckles sees Sonic holding something green and attacks him, playing right into Eggman's hand. After a quick moment of trying to pass off blame for his massive goof-up, letting Eggman trick him ("Like you weren't!" --Knuckles, please), he steps up and takes on Chaos himself, to make up for his mistake.

These scenes in particular, other than giving Knuckles these sort of dorky tough guy lines ("Put 'em up!" "I'll make him eat dirt!") and making them work and fit so well, they really illustrate why Knuckles is such an awesome character and the amount of untapped potential SEGA and Sonic Team have squandered. Well, it's a good thing the comics picked up the ball!

2) Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow confronts Rouge

(Check here)*

I love the interactions in SA2 in general, but this is my favorite scene for using both Rouge's theme and then transitioning into Shadow's theme, and they fit the mood so well. I love Rouge's smug expressions when she decides to break it to Shadow that he's not what he thinks he is, and I love how Shadow just turns his back and says that it doesn't matter, he's still going to fulfill his promise and walks off, leaving Rouge confused.

1) Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic versus Merlina

This scene right here is probably my favorite moment in the entire franchise. Black Knight had some of the best writing these games are EVER going to have (sad as that may be), and so perfectly showed why Sonic... is Sonic. I love how both sides lay out their opposing ideologies, Merlina lamenting what will happen to the world and wanting to make it last forever, and Sonic questioning if that's the right thing to do. I love that Sonic doesn't give a damn about the views of the world, whether it's about chivalry or Merlina's twisted ambitions, he's going to do what he thinks is right no matter what, even if it means he won't look "good" because of it ("Guess I can't be the hero all the time.").

While I always liked Sonic as a character, I feel this is the game that really solidified what it is I like about him, his philosophy and all, and I think it's a benchmark of what Sonic should be. And I think Jason Griffith's performance in the English dub is surprisingly good--I'm really not a fan of his in general, but the dude turned in some of the best voice work of his entire career for this game, and it's a suitable farewell to his time as Sonic.

*Short URLs with the timestamps for some reason don't display the video, so I'm just linking to them for now. If this post is bogging down anybody's connection, let me know, or mods can remove them.

Question #21: Which character interactions would you like to see that aren't common?

Everyone not Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Orbot and Cubot.

Oh, has that joke been done already?

You know, the great thing about the comics these days is that I get what I want in terms of character interactions, especially with some awesome surprises like Shadow and Knuckles. But for the games, I think I'd like to see Knuckles and the Chaotix. While they aren't necessarily tight like they were in the old days of the comics, I always wondered how the modern versions of the Chaotix would get along with Knuckles. I remember seeing the victory poses for one of the Mario & Sonic games, with Knuckles and Vector teamed up and the two of them would bump fists and strike a cool pose, suggesting a level of respect and I think it'd be interesting to see how he would interact with the others (I can't remember anything specific from Sonic X, unfortunately).

Maybe Shadow and Amy would be an interesting match up as well. I'm sure Shadow has a level of respect for her, especially since she helped him back in SA2, and likewise I think Amy naturally sees the good in him that she'd try to appeal to it in the first place. I think it's also notable in Shadow's game that if he helps her and Cream in Creepy Castle, he doesn't treat them as a burden, but simply warns them to be more careful, showing concern for their well-being. He might not show it, but I think Shadow has a soft spot for them, and they bring out his more caring nature.

Question #22: Which commercials are the most memorable for you?

This is tough, but I think I'd immediately have to go with the Dreamcast launch commercials. I remember them mostly because I saw them on TV with my dad, and I remember seeing Tails making fun of a basketball player (turns out this was a separate commercial, can be see here) and also Sonic DJ'ing the party and saying "My bad!" when he starts spinning the turntables too quickly. It's just a really funny commercial.

It's also funny watching these again and hearing that they did in fact use Drummond and Bringas for their respective roles just for single lines. Maybe that shouldn't be a big surprise, but using soundalikes for this sort of thing isn't an uncommon practice, so it's a really nice touch that SEGA made sure to use Sonic's and Tails's respective voices for this.

Now excuse me while I pass out.

~SSMB Has Cleared Adamant Advert Apparition Act 22!~

"Beam me up Scotty." - No One, Sonic and the Notorious Misquotes (3000)

Question #23: ...?

my3-1.jpg

I somehow couldn't find an image of Crash jumping into a damn time portal, so here's a beta image of the game instead.

That's right, this time things are going to be a little different. Because me and Kiah felt that it would be a nice idea to do something special in honor of Sonic's 24th anniversary, we came up with what is for all intents and purposes a Retro Round. The idea being that I ask four questions (because it's Sonic's 24th, geddit) from the previous 30 Days of Sonic, and you guys simply have to answer those four, not unlike the way last year's extra round went. Before you get in a panic, you do not have to add in as much with each of these questions compared to previous and later questions, as I felt that would be asking for too much from you guys. All that's required from you - aside from actually answering the four of them, that goes without saying - is that you provide at least a full sentence for each of your answers for these questions. :)

So with that said, let's not waste time. Let's do it to it, as American't Sonic would likely say!

*insert whoosy time travel sounds here*

Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of? (I realise this one might feel like a repeat of this year's own memorabilia-related question from before, but I felt this one was still different enough in the sense that it also asks for what you would like to get in the future.)

Retro Question #2: What are your top three zone types/tropes/etc in general?

Retro Question #3: Who is/are your favourite villain(s)... APART from Robotnik?

Retro Question #4: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

"There they are!" "Crusher's retro questions!" "Leave them to me, *super-injunction*!"

Crusher's Thoughts: Right, here we go then.

Retro Question #1: Well you already know by now that my Classic Robotnik plushie is currently all I have. :P

Retro Question #2: As is often the case (because I'm an indecisive person regarding mundane opinions, if you couldn't tell already), there are plenty of Sonic zone types that I enjoy very much, but if I had to think of a top three, I think I'll go with the three choices I picked last time I asked this question: fire zones, ice zones, and Robotnik territory. Reason being?

The fire zones actually have some of the biggest variations in the series in my opinion, what with the hellish caverns of Red Mountain, the construction site in Hot Crater, and the cloudy and otherwise scenic mountains of Hill Top, among plenty of other examples. And I still love the music tracks for the Genesis Volcano Valley.

With the ice zones, well I'm a sucker for beautiful ice levels anyway, and Sonic has some of the prettiest in the business. Plus, it seems to be an unspoken rule for a surprising number of the franchise's most popular Badniks to appear in ice zones.

And Robotnik's many strongholds? Look at how varied they are. Maybe they're fiery, maybe they're icy, maybe they're in the desert, maybe they're under the sea, maybe they're up in the sky, maybe they're up in space. And maybe they're dark and somber, or - sometimes AND - they're deceptively bright and colorful. This is of course without mentioning the occasional odd ones he pulls out even for his standards, like the Crystal Egg. They speak a lot about the doctor's personality, and in their own different ways, they're a constant reminder of what would happen if Sonic lost for good.

Retro Question #3: I'll bet you'll never see this choice coming from me. You'll never guess. You ready? Right, three, two, one, here it is. It's the Deadly Six. I know, right? I should rename myself Crushyamalan.

I won't actually go into too much detail about them for now, because I'll get the opportunity to talk about them some more in a later question - write this down kids, this is foreshadowing - but in short, I like these guys a lot. Yes, they're pretty simplistic, and it would be nice to learn a little more about the other aspects surrounding their personalities, but for me, they feel like such a breath of fresh air when it comes to Not-Robotnik antagonists. I'd really like to learn more about what special abilities they each have, ala Zor's shadow powers that are apparently considered fearsome even for Zeti standards. I would say that Zavok and Zor are the top two out of them for me, but I like all six of them in any case.

It's no secret that Sonic and the Secret Rings isn't the kind of game for me - no disrespect to those who do like it, of course - but despite what my refusal to stop taking the piss out of his name may indicate, I do like Erazor Djinn as well. Now I hope you appreciate my efforts to refrain from more stupid Djinn puns, because it took every fragment of my willpower to do that. Anyway, Erazor is pretty cunning, he has the strength to back himself up, and he had the combination of being a massive and unrelenting bastard, but also having a backstory that explained how he turned to evil, which is a combo that I generally approve of when it comes to my taste in antagonists. And by the way, unpopular opinion I assume, but I actually do like his English voice. Peter Cormican, I think the voice actor's name was? I think it suits him perfectly, and it makes him sound more human compared to certain one-off Sonic villains who came before him, which in this case makes his cruelty seem more reprehensible as a result... Also, he sounds like Gaston, and I like Gaston-sounding voices, so that's that.

And now for a few honourable mentions: Chaos for being a great tragic monster who increased the tension with the more Emeralds he had, Merlina for being a decent stab at a well intentioned extremist antagonist (although like with Erazor, the actual game where she comes from isn't for me), Captain Whisker for being amusing and also a robot pirate, and Black Doom for being a funny guy. Oh, and Metal Sonic. I used to not care for him that much believe it or not, but for a while now, I've been warming up to him a lot more. The OVA helps in that regard.

Retro Question #4: Despite my occasional uncertainty and insecurities, I would say that I've managed to make a few friends within the Sonic fanbase. I think I've managed to make more friends as time has went on, which is a relief to me because for a long time, I never had that many friends (well, real friends). With that said, out of all the friends I have made on SSMB and in the Sonic fandom in general, I would say that the two I'm closest too are Verte and Kiah, which I suppose is surprising in a way given how I only got to really know them both two years ago. As I've went on about too many times to mention, the two of them - as well as a handful of other members, such as Tara - have really helped me out a lot, to the point in which I legitimately can't imagine life without having known them now. I know that probably sounds really tragic, but to be fair, this is still me who's talking. And besides, what can I say? I like to give credit to my friends. So you know, #yolo and whatnot.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 20: My top seven favorite cutscenes!

Okay starting off in no particular order:

The world destruction cutscene from sonic and the black knight is a thing of beauty to me even to this day, I mostly like it for that running  sequence about halfway into it when you get to really see just how dang agile sonic is with that sword and I always thought it was pretty awesome how the knights of the round table were following him through it all (not to mention that cute little peak blaze takes at the beginning to look at the castle never ceases to pull at my heart).

The opening to sonic and the secret rings is also one I hold quite dear even though i don't really look at it much, it gives this great sense of finality to it while also remaining a bit ambiguous on what it is sonic is doing here and then you see erazor djinn and all the evil spirits ready to take sonic on. Plus this cutscene gets bonus points for that ending, just seeing sonic put his hand up to his chest and seeing that fire and wind swirl up and he just stops it when he gets ready to run gets me excited to play the game (even though the game itself isn't all too great).

This counts too right? Anyway, when I first saw this cutscene I almost squealed like a fan girl at how awesome at was, not only was this a nice little homage to the sonic adventure 2, it was also an excellent set up to one my favorite fights in sonic generations.

@0:38 Probably my favorite (pseudo) cutscene from sonic the hedgehog 3 just because of how hilarious it was for knuckles to stop the egg mobile in its tracks only to get knocked off the platform he was standing on when the rocket started launching.

Words can't really express how much I love this opening, like seriously its a shame the rest of the series didn't get openings like this (gives me such huge JSRF vibes).

Yeah this ones a no brainer, I honestly don't know a single person who didn't like this opening and its easy to see why, the scale, animation, set up, general coolness is beyond anything the series has ever done before and it gets you hyped up to play the best (in my opinion) game of the series. Not to mention this is the scene where one of my favorite characters in the series (werehog sonic) appeared so it wouldn't make sense for me not to pick this one.

Pretty much everything that i've always wanted to have in a sonic tv show is in this intro, its beauty is almost beyond words to be honest and even with all the advancements in graphical technology throughout the series this intro is still one of my top favorites because of how well animated it is and because no matter which version of it you play your getting an awesome song to go with it.

Day 21: Uncommon character interactions i'd like to see?

I've always wanted sonic and the chaotix to interact more to be honest (or heck just more chaotix interactions in general) since I feel like there is a wealth of missed opportunity between them and I feel like the chaotix could be a good set up for some adventures for sonic to take while also providing some amazing comic relief in the midst of some of the more serious moments of the series.

Day 22: My most memorable commercial?

Probably this one for sonic riders, back when I was a kid I was SUPER hyped for this game to come out (and I was not disappointed) so whenever this commercial would come on i'd sit there and watch it to the very end and just be thinking about it all day (with "Never turn back" from shadow the hedgehog stuck in my head for some reason).

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 23: Retro Questions!

Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of?

I own a Sonic merchandise shop. I own pretty much all the plushes that aren’t super rare as a result. I own enough they’re hanging off my dresser as they struggle for space…

10881534_508161782659198_143035524349433
My pride and joy is Fang (bootleg) here.

1. Eggman bases. While some are bland, some are legitimately diabolical. Others like Final Egg have a really nice beat going on for them that sets the mood of tracking the doctor himself down for one last fight.
2. Tropical, natural stages a la Jungle Joyride Day. With the oversaturation of urban stages, it’s nice to see lush green ones. They are the perfect contrast to the cold lifelessness of Eggman bases.
3. ..adventure fields. Whether it’s the Sonic Adventure kind or the Unleashed hub, these areas have a lot of potential in that they allow characters to roam freely, as well as have room for lots of exploration. I was majorly bummed about how Rise of Lyric turned out because of this here.

This would be a tossup between Fleetway Super Sonic and Dark Enerjak. I think I’ll roll with Dark Enerjak because he’s so fucking… well, morbid.

archiecomicssonicmonster_2857.jpg

See? This is what happens when you push Knuckles over the edge, people.

He’s so morally without any hope of salvation he turns the souls of people – even his mate – into magical robot monsters, even:

4454753-5290512623-Prela.png

If one thought roboticization was cruel, at least it left your soul intact. Enerjak plays with your soul like it’s a damned toy.

Retro Question #4: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

Largely my work with Sonic Revolution. It’s put me in touch with people all over the world as we work together on events… and it gradually turned from just business relationships into friendships.

A similar thing has happened with my merchandise business. I’ve made some interesting contacts along the way!

I think the biggest one, though, is my attendance of Sonic Boom. Once a year, I get to meet people as fanatical as I. And it is refreshing, holy cow!

• Thumbs Up 1

Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of?

Yes to both, actually! I have my little Rouge plushie with me right here! I talked about it in an earlier question in this thread, but it's both my favorite piece of Sonic memorabilia as well as the lone Sonic plushie I own. I do dig this little thing quite a bit.

As for plushies I'd like to have, I'd really want a Boom!Sonic plushie. Say what you will about Boom in general, I do love the design that Boom Sonic has and I'd even go as far call it my favorite Sonic in terms of aesthetics thus far. The combination of that and how much I like Sonic would make me want a Boom!Sonic plushie. I'd like a Knuckles one, too, but I dunno. I do like Knuckles ever-so-slightly more than Sonic, but I'd still get a Sonic plushie if asked. I certainly wouldn't get a Boom!Knuckles plushie anyway. That design. Echh.

Ah liek the Hill Zones, the Water Zones, and the Sky Zones. 

The Hill zones are the classics to me - Seaside Hill, Green Hill, Emerald Hill, you name it. I'm usually not disappointed by the levels that fall under this trope and they'll usually be my favorite levels inside each game.

Water levels usually suck. They usually suck very hard, and I usually don't like them as a result. That being said, Hydrocity Zone is my favorite level in the entire series just about and Chemical Plant Zone kicks ass in its own right. Based off of the strength of these two levels alone, I'll go ahead and say Water Zones.

Sky Zones - same reason as Water levels. I like Sky zones a lot, actually, and Sky Sanctuary, Flying Battery, and even Egg Fleet are amongst my favorite Sonic levels and thus I'll rank it accordingly. I dig the sky zones in this game.

Metal Sonic. Simply put, he looks cool and he's the only one who doesn't really piss me off in the wrong way. I don't have much else to say about that.

Most of my Sonic fandom was largely confined to DeviantArt and I found my way onto my first entirely Sonic based community because I got fuckin' tired of the last forums I was on. DeviantArt and these forums are really the only ways I've even really attempted to make friends in this fanbase, honestly.

I'm someone who usually sits and watches from afar, and I have no issue participating directly if I feel like it, but generally I sit back and let things flow around me. Looking at fanart, fanvids or whatever fanworks I'm in the mood in will make up almost all of my fandomming in anything I like enough to give it that kind of treatment.

Looks like we've gotta go back in time now, huh?

1. All I have are just a 11 inch figurine of Sonic and that exclusive Sonic Boom one as well. So uhhh yeah? But I would like more figurines of other characters like Shadow, Tails or Knux. Any character really.

2. My 3 personal favorite level themes?

The winter theme is always a hit for me, from Ice Cap to Frozen Factory. I can enjoy these levels regardless, either for how it looks or how good the music is. Sonic ice levels are always best levels!

Beach levels are good as well, nice and relaxing and helps set in the laidback nature in Sonic really. He's a dude who loves adventure but doesn't mind to sit back and chill. I enjoy the calm nature in most of these levels.

City levels are surprisingly diverse. Some are frantic and full of high intense action but some are mellow. Speed Highway to Skyscraper Scamper. Noice stuff here!

3. D6 all the way bruh. I like Merlina as well but dem Zeti are just a bunch of fun but also surprisingly sinister villains. I would love to see more of them, plz Sonic Team!

4. I guess the fact I don't have a real strong preference for Sonic, I can easily understand where each person has their likes/dislikes for certain games. So since I consider myself pretty open-minded to Sonic, I can easily understand others and me being a nice guy and all, makes it easy for me to be buddy-buddy with anyone.

• Thumbs Up 3

Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of? 

I don't have any Plushies of Sonic characters, but I wouldn't mind a Modern Sonic and Modern Knuckles plushie, as well as seeing the Archieverse get some love with comic exclusives like Sally and Bunnie.

1. 3D City Zones (E.G: City Escape, Speed Highway, Grand Metropolis) I generally really like blasting through more modern styled zones that take place in cities because it feels fun having this super fast hedgehog run along buildings, race cars, and skateboard down roads and causing as much damage as possible to the cars on the way down City Escape because Sonic won't allow anyone to go fast I guess :P.

2. Beach Zones (E.G: Emerald Coast, Neo Green Hill Zone, Seaside Hill) The visuals are always great when travelling along beach areas in the games and the music is always great as well. It does a good job of introducing the player through some really nice visuals, and some really cool music and level design.

3. Mash Up Zones (E.G: Planet Wisp, and a majority of zones from Sonic Colours) Since I wanted to include Planet Wisp and zones in general that's out of place with the current theme, this is what I'm going with. These levels are really unique and Planet Wisp in general takes the unique feel and makes it serious, by showing off what Eggman's done to a beautiful planet in both the visuals and music. The music starts off a calm, peaceful, and downright beautiful, only to go into some really great music that's got a good rhythm and is intense. 

Oh. Tough question. But seeing as The Deadly Six are unbelievably one note, and Metal Sonic would be more of a lackey/rival, I'm going back to the Archieverse. In which, my two favourite villains I'm going with Knuckles!Enerjak/Dark Enerjak. This guy is just fucking epic, especially since Ian Flynn was the one who wrote him and not Penders. He's sadistic, and is like if you took Knuckles and corrupted and twisted everything he stood for.

He wanted to stop people from being robotized, so he's totally against technology, including Nicole. Locke's teachings are twisted as well into Knuckles wanting to destroy anyone who dares mess with the Echidnas. But the best part is when Sonic enters the scene. The two were rivals but on more friendly terms, especially now where they hung out with each other and referred to each other as True Blue and Rad Red.

Here, the two are against each other. Sonic is desperately trying to get Knuckles!Enerjak to see reason, but he is so far corrupted, he won't listen. At first, Sonic's unaware it's Knuckles, which leads to....

StH_182_Jumping-Jak.jpg

But topping that off even further, in an alternate timeline where Knuckles wasn't beaten by Super Sonic, he's completely gone. Knuckles is now a twisted evil person who took amusement in taking the very life force of his friends and transforming them into puppets designed to only do his bidding, while keeping their bodies as personal trophies. Including Sonic, Tails, and even Julie-Su. Leading to one of the most creepiest moments in the entire Sonic series....which I can't show because the only picture I could find on Google Images isn't supported on SSMB.

The other villain is Scourge The Hedgehog. NOT EVIL SONIC. Scourge The Hedgehog. As in, Ian Flynn's Scourge. This one requires backstory. You see, Ken Penders made this absolutely fucking terrible joke of a character called Evil Sonic:

Evil_Sonic.jpg

As you can see, he's clearly just Sonic with a jacket and boots, with a pair of sunglasses. His personality was absolutely fucking awful. He was basically just a non-threatening douchebag who tried to sound cool by spouting out 90's phrases 24/7. He was a fucking joke of a villain when Penders wrote him.

Until Ian Flynn got his hands on him. Then we got this.

Destructix.jpg

This was a true Evil Sonic. This was all of Sonic's positive aspects turned bad, and all of his bad aspects turned up to 100%. He was a unique, power mad version of Sonic, who didn't care about friends, he didn't about freedom. He only cared about himself, power and to a lesser extent, his girlfriend Fiona Fox. This was how you do a fucking threatening Evil Sonic. He took over a world in a matter of days, and he almost totally steamrolled Sonic, until his ego got the better of him.

Well, I can say through SSMB to be honest. I'm just here for a year now, and I feel I've met some really great Sonic fans around SSMB, and thanks to the Game Night, that me, Klonoa, Felix, and Stricker have been doing, I feel it's allowed myself and other SSMBers to have a great deal of fun with each other while playing games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Left 4 Dead 2 to name a few.

• Thumbs Up 4

Retro Question 1: Do you have a plush/figure of any Sonic characters, and are there any that you want? 

Yep, my awesome classic Tails plush. 

7mhtJxO.png

Already talked about it in the memorabilia question, so I won't go into it here. 

I guess I would want to get Classic Sonic and Knuckles plushies to compliment Tails. 

Sonic20-7in-plush.jpg

Retro Question 2: What are your top three level tropes? 

#1: Tropical Island 

This is the easiest answer of them all, but these zones are spectacular. They are the staple theme of the Sonic series. The bright colours and beautiful background of these zones, with their fast energetic level design make them some of the best. 

Pppresent.png

Ghz.png

Emeraldhill.png

#2: Ancient Ruins 

This much more mysterious zone theme is one that I love immensely. Their atmosphere is usually a bit more serious, with their darker colours and slightly more closed level design. I love the feel of ancient ruins zones, probably it comes from my love of ancient civilizations in the first place. The type of buildings, symbols, and use of shapes and colours always make these extremely interesting places and succeed in you wanting to know more about this world. (Yes, I even love Labyrinth!!) 

Labyrinth.png

Marble.png

Ttpresent.png

#3: Lava 

Some certain zones can have two or more themes, so there can be zones that can be both lava infested and a ruin. Marble zone is one of the interesting zones in it's theming as a dungeon that exists on grounds that are geologically active. But,I digress. 

Lava themed zones are some of my favourites as they usually have a quite hostile, and frankly, some of the best atmospheres of all the zones. These are zones that make you really have to think. Lava Reef Zone, as one of the best Sonic zones ever, is a great example of how good lava themed zones can get. 

Lavareef.png

Hilltop.png

S2GG_Underground_Zone.png

Redmountain.png

Retro Question #3: Who is your favourite villain besides Robotnik? 

I have two. 

The first is Fang The Sniper. 

fang-the-sniper-sonic-triple-trouble.png

This dude is awesome. I like Weasels so that makes him already really awesome. He's also really cool in the fact that he's a bounty hunter. 

I'm sorry that I don't have much to say, but we don't know very much about him! 

The second is Grimer from Sonic The Comic. 

200px-Grimer.jpg

Man, this dude is an awesome sidekick, much better than Snively. He was extremely loyal to Robotnik and was pathologically "attached" to Robotnik. He was SO loyal to Robotnik, always being beat up, always creating all sorts of machines and always carrying out orders for Robotnik. He is much more interesting that Snively who is basically just a generic backstabbing sidekick IMO.  It really was a big deal during the ending of Sonic The Comic when Grimer quit, because you knew how freaking loyal he was. 

Retro Question #4: How have you made friends in the Sonic fanbase? 

I didn't become a Sonic fan until 8th grade, but I already knew a lot of Sonic fans in my school. I already knew some people somewhat well, but we became bigger friends when we could both could talk about Sonic. 

And I have to say, even though I have only been here for around a month and a half, I have made a ton of friends here already. People like Felix and Ryan and Galabance are already people who I have become friends with and I will make many more. This place seriously has to be one of the most friendly forums ever. Everyone here is so welcoming and it's just awesome.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I had a Sonic And Shadow plush I won from a claw machine from Gameworks, don't know where they went to though.

If I say I want any plush of any character, I would love a big ol one of Omega, nothing like sleeping with a giant robot that could blow up things with their hands.

Seasides, Casino and Cities.

I love the sunny feeling I get from the seaside level and they tend to have the most relaxing music in the world, I love wasting time making dough or losing it and I like to visit places more familiar to me.

Probably Chaos.

Chaos did some bad stuff but was ultimately misunderstood about what to do and is a rare villain that has made peace with Sonic and is now more of a hero whenever he shows up, so he's kinda a half and half deal.

Oh, absolutely! I didn't have much friends due to being shy and  being a jerk without realizing it before I came here, it was nice to meet someone who would share my interests and laugh at my jokes and I could go to if I ever wanted help, all is because I loved a blue hedgehog and his series.

In fact, I had so many friends that I was able to make this image:

M1bTFYo.png

And I gained more since I made it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of? (I realise this one might feel like a repeat of this year's own memorabilia-related question from before, but I felt this one was still different enough in the sense that it also asks for what you would like to get in the future.)

23.1) None. Not really, I don't exactly have a lot of room in my room.

23.2) Carnival from hell levels like Eggmanland, Space levels like Starlight Carnival, and otherworldly levels (in concept at least) like End of the World.

23:3) Tricky one, but probably SA2 Gerald Robotnik (never specified WHICH Robotnik :D), in that he's a tragic villain driven to madness as a result of something out of his control. Plus his final speech stuck out as being one of the better acted parts in the franchise. Shadow's Gerald...is meh to me.

23:4) SSMB of course; I never really interacted with other people online until I came here.

The only two I have is a Classic Sonic plush that I brought from ToraCon last year, and a Boom!Sonic plush from the Sonic Boome 2014 event.

1) Urban: I feel it's the closest to being a real-world Sonic-fied atmosphere and most urban levels in the series are based after real world locations. From Grand Metropolis, Route 99, City Escape, Speed Highway and of course Empire City - Skyscraper Scamper, as it's strikingly similar to New York City, my hometown, so I have a soft spot for that level.

2) Flying Fortress: Favorite level (in this case, levels) are Egg Fleet/Final Fortress. One of the greatest things (IMO) Eggman has created; you're running through the entire armada to get to the flagship Final Fortress, whose presence makes the Egg Carrier look like nothing in comparison. In general it's usually the last area the heroes traverse to stop the bad guy; and some can look absolutely menacing, to downright spectacular.

3) Lava/Volcano: Crisis City, Lava Reef, Red Mountain...yup something about this trope has a nice vibe to it. What more can I say about it? Oh, Lava Reef is the magnum opus for this trope in my opinion.

Does this fine piece of machinery named Metal Sonic count? Yeah he's second fiddle when it comes to Eggman and in recent years haven't really been put much into the villain limelight, but he is THE machine, he's second in command (should be anyway) of Eggman's forces, he was designed to best Sonic at what he does best. 

Well for starters people who felt the same way I did about how this series is going feels assuring. Yeah sure I'm not the guy who's so into proper writing for the characters, deep plot and the like. Yeah gameplay is and should be important, but it's how you enjoy that gameplay is what I take into account of a Sonic game. Actually, is what you can take from it that you find enjoyable is what I live by, at least with Sonic. With that I found people who share the same sentiments as I. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1) I don't have any Sonic plushies, though I would like some of Blaze, the Deadly Six and Classic Sonic. If I could actually justify buying soft toys to my inquisitive parents (though I get that same feeling buying £100+ Transformers... the pains of Masterpiece Decepticon collecting...)

2) My favourite zone types would be the "underwater ruin" Zones (especially Labyrinth and Tidal Tempest), "sky base" Zones (Wing Fortress and Egg Fleet/Final Fortress especially) and "cyber city" Zones (Scrap Brain, Metropolis etc.).

3) The Deadly Six. Yeah yeah, stop the presses, what a shock. I like their designs, I like the general concept, I like how they're a contrast to Eggman (just six powerful individuals as opposed to one normal man with a legion of robots) I still kinda wish I'd come up with them before Sonic Team did, blah blah blah, you've all heard this before if you follow my posts here.

4) Well, I came here as my first time using an internet forum (or any form of social media). I made posts and statuses, and I got accepted. I made friends, and I'm still cool with them today. I draw art, and people like it.

That's about it :U

• Thumbs Up 2

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 23?

Retro Question 1: No, I don't have any plushes or figures of any Sonic characters however If I am to get any in the future I would probably say a few things. the Sonic amiibo (If that counts), maybe a plush of Amy, Cheese and Cream and Tails because I find them to be some of the cutest Sonic characters I would want a plush of.

Retro Question 2: Green Hills, Seasides and Cities.

Firstly, I say Green Hill stage type because as I explained in one of my other posts in this thread, I would go here on a vacation to a Sonic place. Seasides I chose because again, a similar reason, they are relaxing places in general really. And finally, Cities. Even though there are a lot of city levels, City Escape, Station Square, Rooftop Run etc. I picked Cities because it seems more normal and it seems kind of weird for Sonic to be with humans. (Sorry I don't have much to say for the last one).

Retro Question 3:

This one's a bit hard but, quite honestly, if it counts, I think I might go with Ixis Naugus from the comics. Why? Honestly, I don't know a lot about the character, but I'm choosing him because he looks more unique than other Sonic villains. He just looks a bit different and he's a magician now. Anyway, *Cue Next Question*

Retro Question 4:

During my stay at this very forum, I feel like I have met lots of people. (Thanks for the shoutout in your picture, Pink Cat.) Anyway, If I may give some examples of the numerous people I have on my friend list would be. Kiah, because kindness, Crusher, for uh... Managing this whole event, Spinny, and that's just an example of who I met since I joined here.

Day 23 complete!

• Thumbs Up 1

Retro Question #1: Do you have any plushies/figures of any Sonic characters, and/or are there any Sonic characters that you'd LIKE to have a plushie/figure of?

I would like to have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Shadow plushy.

Outdoor, Fire/Ice, and Carnival/Casino zone type.

I will say Tails Doll villain.

By knowing others like me out there.