Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

~SSMB Has Cleared Glaireous Glitching Act 16!~

"I shall not be defeated! If you defeat me I will simply return again and again! I am immortal! I cannot be vanquished!" - Dr. N. Tropy, Sonic and the Platinum Relic That I Just Couldn't Get Even Though I Spent the Whole Day Trying to Get It Why is Life Not Fair I Tried My Hardest I Swear Crawling In My Skin These Wounds They Will Not Heal (20XX)

Question #17: Which characters/bosses/enemies/etc have the most amusing designs to you?

3330475-king.jpg

They're both terrifying for the exact same reasons.

Coming up with new and interesting designs can be hard. You're not going to get a perfect 10/10 every time, it's not realistic, it's not gonna happen. But if there's one upside to creating designs that end up not being the greatest, it's that they have a tendency to look hilarious, often because they look like or are reminiscent of something. Hell, maybe the design in question isn't even that bad but provides plenty of chortles anyway, as the way of immaturity thinking outside the box famously goes. With a crazy universe like Sonic's, someone out there is bound to have a design that you find mildly funny if not outright bonkers, but which one(s) would that be?

Crusher's Thoughts: Ten Packs a Day Man, who else?

hqdefault.jpg

Not even taking into question how his floating third eye works in regards to going in and out of it's socket, everything about this guy is fantastic. He wears enough bling to put Vector out of a job, his eyes clue us in to him being a Sith Lord, his facial features are unfortunately designed to put it in a way that's appropriate for children, his gigantic horns somehow don't weigh his tiny little head down (how does he get his head through small doors?), and he's always hovering down from the air and posing like he's Jesus. Not even joking, I hope whoever designed Black Doom got a promotion, because it's an uncontested classic in parodying those age old cliches in villainy. (It is a parody, right?) The only thing more bizarre than the Biolizard being Shadow's older sibling is this guy being his dad. ...One of his dads.

And look at that face. Look at that little face! How can you stay mad at a face like that? He's the most adorable alien invader ever.

To a lesser extent, there's also Dark Gaia. Regrettably, I couldn't find an image of him that I liked, so I made my own. Here is my expert recreation of him.

WaluigiTacoGaia_zpsb262f83e.jpg

Smashing.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 17: Which characters/bosses/enemies/etc have the most amusing designs to you?

For this question, I'd go with the Tails Doll, but only in the comic, and only in #247.

Tails_Doll_battle_form.png

This was legitimately in the comic. Ian had only asked for a general reptilian monster design, and this is what Evan Stanley came up with. When it was seen again in #252, the design was pretty drastically altered, Gee, I wonder why.

• Thumbs Up 5

Question 17: Which characters have the most amusing designs for you? 

Ehh, this is a bit of a cheat as these were never in a game, but I have to go with just about everyone in this Sonic 1 concept picture 

179718-alpha_sonic.jpg

Seriously, look at these guys. 

Hello,pink goomba ripoff with creepy arms and legs.

Hello, long white....you know what I was going to say. 

Hello, demon hand with bat wings and eye stalks coming straight out of the back 

That glove dude actually looks kind a cool but still funny nevertheless... 

Probably my favourite is that huge white demon guy in the background with that molester smile and pinkeye. 

And Doctor Eggman as Doctor Beeman! 

Oh yeah, and the Kaboombas from Yoshi's Island are here too, except orange and with Sonic feet. 

SMW2_YI_Kaboomba.png

I know these are all scrapped characters, but could you imagine how hilarious Sonic 1 would have been if BatClawhandman and Pinkeyedemon were chasing you around with Dr. Beeman on their tail? 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll go with the D6, yeah totally original, I know.

Deadly_Six_Group_Art.png

Something about how they look really clicks with me. I think it's because it works in the basic colour scheme Sonic characters are known for while having some different colors mixed in.

They really stand out whether they look like Skylanders rejects or monster versions of the Koopalings, I like how the Zetis look!

Oh this is an easy one.

BrotherhoodOfGuardians.png

And Ken Penders thinks those are totally original designs

Do I even need to say why these are so amusing? Look at them! They're clearly Knuckles recolours all arounds. In fact, Knuckles recolours is being too kind, because some of them is just Knuckles with a piece of clothing and maybe some hair and that's about it. Locke especially is basically Knuckles with a bathrobe and a fucking beard, another is Knuckles with massive eyebrows, another is Star Trek!Knuckles, another is basically Knuckles with a slightly darker red fur colour and a black line on his head and that's it. Keep in mind that Ken Penders also believes all of those are totally 100% original. The above picture (Which I think was drawn by Penders, I'm not 100% sure though) shows it in all it's glory.

• Thumbs Up 5

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 17: Which characters have the funniest design for you?

Hmmm. This one is a bit of a hard one but I have to think of one so I'll choose that Sonic 1 concept picture. Why? Well, For a start, all these characters except Sonic are just extremely weird. Like, who's that demon thing in the back? And finally, you all have to look at the glorious Doctor Beeman. (Get it?) Yes, it's not Doctor Eggman, it's Doctor Beeman. Name sake because he well, looks like a bee.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh this is an easy one.

BrotherhoodOfGuardians.png

And Ken Penders thinks those are totally original designs

Do I even need to say why these are so amusing? Look at them! They're clearly Knuckles recolours all arounds. In fact, Knuckles recolours is being too kind, because some of them is just Knuckles with a piece of clothing and maybe some hair and that's about it. Locke especially is basically Knuckles with a bathrobe and a fucking beard, another is Knuckles with massive eyebrows, another is Star Trek!Knuckles, another is basically Knuckles with a slightly darker red fur colour and a black line on his head and that's it. Keep in mind that Ken Penders also believes all of those are totally 100% original. The above picture (Which I think was drawn by Penders, I'm not 100% sure though) shows it in all it's glory.

Damn it, I forgot about those guys! 

Yeah, those are all hilarious as hell. It gets even better when there are several Echidnas on panel which look EXACTLY THE SAME. 

tumblr_ni269lNAWZ1u4is2oo1_1280.png

tumblr_nh5rim9n2Q1u4is2oo1_1280.png

tumblr_nh28jtiT2R1u4is2oo1_1280.png

tumblr_nh0ohjLymp1u4is2oo1_1280.png

Do I even need to comment on these? They are all literally Knuckles with some minor bullshit changed, such as the colour of the shirt or something. 

The Echidna teaching in the last panel looks like she has a turd on her head. I guess that's turd Knuckles. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #17: Which characters/bosses/enemies/etc have the most amusing designs to you?

Silver02.png

i don't know what they were thinking with this design

I had an image of his hair as a pot leaf ready to post, but I replaced it with a normal vector because I am not tough enough for the Salty Spittoon.

06 was an ambitious game that I think had the potential to do a lot right but ultimately failed because it was released as a far from finished product. A lot of what it could've done right was done wrong as a result of this.

One thing that was wrong from the get go was this stupid haircut, though. Did they just like, not see it? Not see that it looked like a damn pot leaf? xP

Even with that put aside, it's just a stupid way to look overall. I like his hands, for whatever that's worth, but the guy's barber must hate his guts or something.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Day 17! Characters/bosses/enemies/etc with the most amusing designs!

Half the bloody echidna cast in the Archie comics. I mean wow, they weren't even trying. One example was already posted by Ryan but this one is good too (it's hilarious actually).

7c847Dv.jpg

Notice that the only really unique looking echidna here is Dr Finitevus aka Negative Knuckles. Everyone else is just different shades of the same colour red with minor changes like clothes, hair and marks. It's lazy as hell and I find that hilarious because the guy who created almost ALL of these echidnas, Ken Penders, thinks that he's so original and clever creating these Knuckles clones with boring personalities. Yeeeeah keep telling yourself that dude. XP

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 17: Amusing Designs

Okay who's idea was it to have all the questions be reliant on our ability to appreciate "So bad it's good humor?" Seriously something has got to be like "Nazis at the Center of the Earth" (yes that's a real thing) levels of bad before I can consider it to wrap back around into good.

Anyway as you might have gathered from my little spiel above I generally either like a character's design (so no Black Doom because I happen to think he looks pretty badass) or absolutely hate it (No Zeti either, they have no goddamn business being in my Sonic game). Rarely do I ever find a design to be amusing though, so I'm going to have to go with an intentional example. You know who I'm talking about. Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together for the one, the only...

SONICMAN

tumblr_m5dw6mGLfF1qimttgo1_500.png

Hey. - Sonicman, Sonic '06

• Thumbs Up 3

Day XVII: Badly-Designed Baddies

D-Fekt. He simply looks like a Orbot recolor except bigger. We're expected to be threatened by this fluke? Really Sanzaru? Ifrit also gets points for his goofy smile. 

OOHS A GOOFY IFRIT? WHY YES YOU ARE!

Day 17: Which characters/bosses/enemies/etc have the most amusing designs to you?

I thought this one would be tough, but it actually hit me pretty quickly.

Metaloverlordv2.png

I'll have to go with Metal Madness / Overlord. It's not quite the design(s) alone, though it is a little silly too. No, it's the fact that it's essentially the "super form" of this:

Metalrunner.png

Even though it (sort of) makes sense in-context, it's just hard to imagine how they went from Point A to Point B here. How did that meeting go in Sonic Team's HQ? The funniest part is that I don't even hate the design, it's just so weird looking at every other appearance of Metal Sonic. Well, mostly. It wasn't the only time we saw Metal in strange forms, to be fair...and who knows what forms that robot'll take in the future...?!

Evilmetalsonicmi4.pngMecha_Sonic_Model.png

Runners up:

• Black Doom. Yeah, he's kind of hilarious.
  • Chaos 2. Out of all of Chaos' forms, this one always amuses me for some reason? I think it's the arms and posture.

C_B_018.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Underground characters..

its amusing..weird and sometimes.. disgusting.. :D

though i give them points for trying being original..  ^_^

this series gave me the sensation that they used too much orange on the hair on characters.. XD

Day 17.

For this question, I'd go with the Tails Doll, but only in the comic, and only in #247.

Tails_Doll_battle_form.png

This was legitimately in the comic. Ian had only asked for a general reptilian monster design, and this is what Evan Stanley came up with. When it was seen again in #252, the design was pretty drastically altered, Gee, I wonder why.

Gonna have to second this one. I mean... Christ.

My biggest regret is not going up to her during Sonic Revolution and asking, "Why?" Just why. I really want to know what sort of thought process inspired this.

On the other hand, maybe this is some elaborate satire on our tendency to see the illicit in everything. Who knows.

It's deliciously "what the actual fuck" either way.

As far as amusing designs go, Gapsule from Sonic and Knuckles probably counts.

500px-Gapsule.png

Aside from the fact that it's just an Egg Capsule with flail arms, look at its face. It looks like it's always going O.O at you (albeit with a mean expression). Colour the sclera white and it'd look more like a Wily creation than an Eggman one (hey, Metalls and Battontons and a couple others I'm forgetting use that expression). It sticks out to me and (ironically) makes Gapsule one of the more "human" S3&K midbosses.

• Thumbs Up 5

I've always found the designs for the Egg Golem and Biolizard from SA2 fascinating for different reasons.

I just find it really cool that Eggman was able to take a golem and mechanize it. It also wins some points for being one of the hugest bosses in the series, and a really fun one to boot (with Sonic, anyway.) Normally I think it'd be pretty idiotic to put the weak point on the top of its head, but because the thing is so humongous, Sonic had to find a way to get up there which he obviously couldn't do alone (and thankfully the way up there is a very easy thing to navigate.)

Biolizard on the other hand I find amusing because I believe it really does scream "prototype." It's slow, it has this life-support thing going on, its back legs aren't fully formed if I remember correctly, it's just freaky. I'm sure if I had played SA2 when my family first got the GameCube back in 2002 (I was 8 at the time) I might've found it creepy or at least weirdly unsettling.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just about every human model from 06, primarily for how dead they look and their animations only reinforcing it.

Hoo boy I have a lot to catch up on

Question #13: Funniest thing in shadow the hedgehog

I blame you guys for this one but this:

Seriously I feel ashamed for not realizing just how hilarious this scene was before and now I can't stop laughing at it whenever I watch it xD

Question #14: Favorite piece of cancelled material?

To be honest I never really pay too much attention to the beta stuff in this series too much but I guess if there was one thing that stuck out to me it was pretty much the very first trailer of sonic 06, honestly even looking back at that trailer now it still makes me pretty excited for a game that will never come and while I do like the current sonic 06 as it is (blasphemy I know) I still wonder about what could've been, I mean just look at this:

Day 17: The funniest Sonic character Design

Remember that time in the Sonic comics where they had Sonics from different dimensions but they were pretty much parodies of other popular media. Well who could forgot the time when Sonic was attacked by this character.

Ivanna_Robotina.jpg

It's so hilariously bad that they mixed together Robotnik's and Queen Beryl to make this character. I mean it's a female Eggman, I don't whether to laugh or scream as my eyes burn.

• Thumbs Up 1

This was hard but eventually I came up with the nice choice. I picked Dr. Robotnik from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog because he looked amusingly strange on there. I be trying to imagine how he would look like if real. This is like probably the strangest Dr. Robotnik I ever seen in the show. I not sure what else but the pointed head and it is all amusing and creepy in another way there.

Day 17: Which character/ enemy do you believe *it went on for so long...* to have the most hilarious design?

Metal_Overlord_(Sonic_Heroes).jpg

Metal Overlord

Like, what even is this? The only conclusion I can come up with is a cluster-fuck. How you go from something as cool looking as Neo Metal Sonic to this is beyond me. The design is so busy compared to what came before that it just screams "get serious for the final boss!" and it's hilarious to me because of that. Add in that 43 second long transformation sequence and I just can't help but find this design extremely humorous.

Runner Up: Buffles

Day 17: Most Amusing Sonic Character Design

Amusing can mean like, a "wowzers" kinda thing, right? I'll go with Vector then.

Sonicchannel_vector_nocircle.png

Vector is just a really silly character to me. And his design compliments his personality perfectly. There's something amusing about seeing a crocodile with chains and headphones. It's cool, and silly at the same time. I like Vector. :P And yeah, this is my shortest answer so far but I don't know what else to say about him. It's Vector! *jazz hands*

120px-Sonic3ampK_Badnik_Spikebonker.png

He's just so GOOFY, with those massive eyes, and he's almost completely ineffectual. I just love the look of him.

Day 17

I would have to go with Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog Robotnik. I mean, just look at this:

49e.gif

Couple it with this:

http://youtu.be/aO_z2nO3ByM

And....well.....how can he NOT be amusing? I'm not really sure how to describe it, Sonic characters usually look really cartoony but this a whole fucking different level. This is water-balloon ass levels of wacko. Needless to say that this is probably by far the least serious iteration of Eggman, but I love him for it. He didn't get a slew of YouTube Poops based around him for nothing, that's for sure.

Runner up would have to be Big The Cat. That thousand-mile stare will forever haunt my soul.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 17: Most Amusing Design

Sonic Rivals 2: Egg Turtle

Egg_Turtle.jpg

I mean...it's a turtle. He literally made a turtle.

Now, Eggman has a history of basing his designs of animals and I'm not getting on this thing's case because of that. His other designs though at least break away from their animal basis at some stage in order to be functional. This thing's only means of attack is to spin its head and tail around in the hopes it actually hits something. It's as if he built the whole thing, completely forgot to include any kind of attack mechanism and then threw in a couple of motors at the eleventh hour to compensate. The main body is permanently stuck in that one spot so it's a good thing Sonic and Co decide to stay on that one pathway surrounding it in order to give it any chance at all.

On a side note, because Eggman's a 2D render it looks like he actually made the cockpit too small and now has to have his face pressed against the windscreen.