Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

~SSMB Has Cleared Headcanon Hubris Act 5!~

"You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my fake!" - Awesome Possum, Sonic Adventure 2 (1993)

Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

tumblr_m7fx1lY8Vb1rbgny1o1_500.jpg

"ELIIIIIISE!"

Don't act like you didn't see this coming. It wouldn't be a 30 Days of Sonic without a question relating to Sonic '06's high octane comedy factor.

Last year, I had asked what the funniest animations in Sonic '06 were for you guys, and that was all fine and dandy. We all had a jolly good time with that one, I reckon. Well since that question was apparently so much fun for everyone involved, I was thinking about maybe bringing that one back for this new 30 Days of Sonic. However, I felt that asking the exact same question would be a little lazy of me, especially when I'm trying as best as I can when it comes to making and choosing questions.

So this time, I've changed it. Animation-related or not animation-related, if you could pick ONE aspect about Sonic '06 that you reckon gave you the biggest laugh, what would it be?

Crusher's Thoughts: I would love to bring up the NPCs and their own wacky animations and weird voice clips. I would love to bring up the way that many of the enemies get sent flying as though they were the Tom to the hedgehogs' Jerry. I would love to bring up Mephileslie's inner conflict as he comes to terms with how he was destined for ballet dancing instead of masterminding. This question is as hard for me as it might be for the rest of you, as there are so many things I could choose. But as good as all those aspects are in their own right, I'm gonna have to be generic and go with this guy:

hqdefault.jpg

...Hang on. Wrong one.

maxresdefault.jpg

There we go.

In my humble opinion, Sonic '06's incarnation of Dr. Robotnik - Young Ivo Cosplaying Gerald as I affectionately and famously[citation needed] call him - does the impossible and raises this game's hilarity to an art form even for the standards of a product which was already the greatest source of gut-busting humor since Plague Dogs. Right off the bat, it's a rip-roaring riot with the juxtaposition of his realistic appearance and unrealistic vintage bottlecaps he wears in honor of Willy Wonka's Irn Bru Factory, but the fun doesn't stop with his design. Throughout the whole game, any actions and animations that would be business as usual for regular Ivo now look completely ridiculous and jarring for this supposedly serious reimagining of the doctor. He often acts like a guy trying to imitate a blind man without knowing how to do a convincing job at it, and while Robotnik may move his arms all over the place regardless of whichever game he's currently in, Young Ivo Cosplaying Gerald moves his arms let alone the rest of his entire body in a way that suggests he's a part-time street performer. Maybe he took some choreography lessons with Crystal Meph.

I don't know what janitor was given the role, but he's one of if not the greatest part of the game for me, and for that, I have to give respect to the man.

...Oh, right, almost forgot. Here you go, for classic time's sake.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 4

Question 5:

Things I would want is to have knuckles be more serious with his master emerald stuff, him showing up along sonic just to watch doesn't seem like something he would leave his island unless he's 100% sure no one is gonna take it (Can't blame him, the master emerald isn't really relevant nowadays same with the chaos emeralds). It makes sense since eggman was the only one to ever steal the emerald and having him do other schemes seems to be enough for him to leave. But then I hope in future games they make the master emerald be an important part of the plot so it makes knuckles be a part of the story instead of being in the side lines like Amy.

I'm not really liking the idea of him being dumb (I don't mind boom cause that's another thing, he's actually hilarious in boom) and looking silly all the time, I don't mind him being put in silly situations but it'd be better to actually be focused or serious about his role and stuff. But thats me.

Question 6: 06 funny moments

I refer you to my magnum opus, Sonic the Hedgehog in Short.

Every funny bit I could think of (It's no Use, Mephiles weird mannerisms, Eggman with no glasses and much more) came in here. Honestly, my favourite is just Knuckles being made more useless in the end. heck, he runs the wrong way in End of the World. Oh well, it's not the worst Sonic game ever (Boom is imo).

Day 5: What sort of unseen or unrecognised interpretations/traits do you like to imagine for certain characters?

Not really a new interpretation, but I like to think Sonic is intentionally homeless. He's always on the move, as far as we know, and he snacks on whatever food he finds on trees and such (well, anything that don't look poisonous), so he doesn't have the need to have a place to live in. If he needs a place to crash, his bff Tails supplies just that, and even then, Sonic rarely ever needs to take much time to rest when he needs shut eye. During his free time, he goes free running and experiments with his speed and abnormal acrobatic abilities (unintentional alliteration, I swear) to come up with new moves, thus how he gained abilities like the spin dash, homing attack and wall running.

Day 6: My most hilarious 06 moment:

Hmmmm....

I guess I'll go with Shadow's hilariously-awesome Chuck Norris impression:

This is as silly as it is cathartic after hours of putting up with Silver's whining and angst!

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Oh boy, What to pick. What to pick. I'll go with:

Chara04_02.jpg

The cutscene is just so horribly done, so horribly acted, and just so horrible in every single possible way that you can help but laugh at it. You can't help but laugh at the lack of chemistry between Sonic & Elise, you can't help but laugh at the terrible lines they're given, you can't help laughing at the terrible voice acting, and you can't help laughing at this stupid idea and the terrible execution of the idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question 6: What is the funniest thing to come out of Sonic 06?

Probably one of the funniest things in Sonic 06 to me are those people in Soleanna who stand around moving their lips and hands forever for a two word sentence. It doesn't help that the way they move is so highly exaggerated. Like, who shakes their arms around like that? 

They are cursed to move like that forever whenever they start talking. This is what Mephiles has been doing to those poor citizens. Help.

Sandro.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

30 Days of Sonic Act 2 Day 6: Sonic 06 Land

Oh my god yes. This question is just a goldmine for hilarity. Here's mine: The classic scene from the cutscenes in which Shadow casually just kicks Sliver to the ground. That's a classic right there.

Day 6 Complete!

Day 6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Honestly, I can't think of anything for Sonic 2006 directly. I thought it was drab, but I didn't find anything hilarious about it.

You know what was hilarious though? Clements three and a half hour review on the game. His freakouts over the several elements of the game that he feels are downright terrible are a sight to behold, and it's a regular go-to video if I want some good stuff going on in the background while I browse the internet.

• Thumbs Up 2

Very easy answer - the funniest thing from Sonic 2006 is the asinine animations of many of the humans, particularly when communicating with NPC's, where they stand there, staring soulless into some distant location beyond the player, repeating bizarre, stiff, choppy movements over & over like these robots on stands while they give there text speeches, & in a lot of cases very odd mouth movements that are pretty much flaps opening & shutting with black spaces showing in their mouths in spite of having no spoken dialogue. There is something about that makes me go 'Yep...' mentally. It's like watching John Travolta in Battlefield Earth almost!

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh... so many to choose from... Sonic breakdancing to oblivion, Mephiles's twirly whirly... but I'm gonna have to go for the NPCs. Their lackluster animations, awful voices, baffling condition that forces them to ask random hedgehogs to solve math problems... there's so much to choose from. But the king of them all is...

Music please...

tumblr_m5dw6mGLfF1qimttgo1_500.png

This guy is just gold. He's the hero we need... but not the one we deserve.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think the most hilarious things has been the playthroughs I have done with my friends, so many good times playing the game with my friends making fun of the it. Even showing the game to other people, their reactions...priceless. :D

So the whole game itself I guess.

Day #6: What is the most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

This is actually a hard one for me, considering I didn't really find any part to be super hilarious in the game...

But I CAN tell you of a REACTION to 06 that was hilarious to me: The Super Gaming Bros playing Sonic 06's multiplayer, and this PARTICULAR GOLDEN MOMENT where Elliot gets bombarded with meteors and Matt nearly laughs himself unconscious XD!

Day 6: What is the funniest thing to come out of Sonic 06?

https://youtu.be/40Q98lanmmU?t=6m26s

Do I really have to explain why this is so fucking hilarious? Eggman, who seems to have become paralyzed while doing the Macarena, gets ejected from the Egg Wyvern's cockpit, his escape pod short circuits and he just nonchalantly falls to his death with the interest of the same plank of wood that he resembles during this "animation". And then scene abruptly cuts to a loading screen. This moment had my brother and I in tears. Bless this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?"

Whenever this sort of question pops up, that bit at the end of Sonic's story where Eggman's Egg Mobile detach itself from the Egg Wyvern always come to mind. I know I've already said as much last year, but there's just something inherently hilarious about seeing big, bad, serious Eggman being treated like a crash test dummy.

"DOIK!"

There's A LOT of material for a most hilarious Sonic 06 aspect category, so I'll highlight something simple, yet technical:

Silver Fight (Sonic)

Oh, this fight. Ohhhhhhhhh this fight. Not even getting into the glitches yet, this is just a terribly designed boss in general. You've got a guy that can toss crap at you AND grab YOU out of the air at any moment's notice, but you have to take him on in such a small area! Thus, you'll not only have trouble getting away from him, but since the camera isn't exactly what you'd call cooperative, you'll also have trouble just FINDING HIM before you get a face full of crate or get thrown into a wall. It's like they wanted to make the Adventure-style character fights a bit more challenging, but went WAY too far. Combine the fight itself with infamously bad glitches like Silver's legendary grab spam and taunts from the psychic Hedgehog himself that continue to grind away at your patience ("ITS NO UUUUUUSE!") and you've got something truly special in terms of its awfulness. Why am I choosing this as my funniest aspect of Sonic 06, then? Because just THE IDEA that SOMEONE...ANYONE at Sega saw/played this fight and then IMMEDIATELY gave it the a-okay to release as is makes me laugh harder than anything in the game itself. It's a feeling that can be extended to the entire game, but just seeing every bad design aspect, every glitch, and every annoyance in this fight pool together in this one, conceptually simple boss that should just be "attack him while he's distracted" REALLY says it all about Sonic 06. There's a reason why the humor in a lot of 06 LPs ramps up after this part. It's just THAT bad.

Question Numero Cinco: What sort of unseen or unrecognised

interpretations/traits do you like to imagine for certain characters?

I'm not really a big Sonic headcanon person, but here goes anyways. I like to think that despite how much Big likes fishing, he doesn't necessarily like to eat fish. He's more a vegan/fruit person, and only does fishing as a recreational hobby to pass the time.

Question Numero Seis: What is the single most hilarious thing to

come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Sonic '06 is so much of a literal goldmine of unintentional hilarity that I may as well have a blindfold on, reach my hand out and pick almost anything from that game. But since we're talking about one thing, let's talk about this.

tumblr_mwjw8v2JPJ1s3ot0fo1_r1_500.gif

Sonic's friggin' breakdance for whenever you die by running into something in the Mach Speed sections. This just came off as very odd and a bit scary to me as a kid when I first got the game, now I can't stop guffawing whenever it does happen. It's just hilarious how Sonic even does it even he hits something while running at 0 rings, and he does the breakdance while still speeding forward. Goes to show to lazily done Sonic '06's animations were.

• Thumbs Up 2

I found Sonic 06 a pretty sad excuse for a game when I played it for the first time, even though I was younger. At best I found it momentarily fun, at worse I found it unplayably terrible. I can't say I really laughed at any real moment - intended or not - the game provided. What it did provide, however, was the Game Grumps playthrough. And that is still some of the funniest stuff the channel has done to this day. There's tons of great moments. But here's three highlights. I'll put them in spoilers to save people who don't want them loading up but you should totally watch them anyway, they're amazing.

The big breakdown where Arin goes crazy over a glitch in the caverns. Absolutely hysterical. I actually remember seeing this for the first time and laughing for a solid half an hour uncontrollably. Knuckles crazily grunting while he tries to get off the wall only helps. 

Next up, the snowboarding level. Which we all know has absolutely abysmal design. But this took it to whole other level. Jon's slow realisations of the true fuckery and poor programming quality this level offered is priceless, lmao. 

And last, Arin takes his sweet revenge on Silver, getting his own version of it's no use. Arguably this is as funny as the Knuckles breakdown to me, it's just too good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #5: What sort of unseen or unrecognised interpretations/traits do you like to imagine for certain characters?

1. Sonic is the ultimate pun master.
2. Silver is an overconfident dork.
3. Rouge and Shadow love to watch noir movies.

That's all I really have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe this question was asked last year, and my opinion has not changed.

tumblr_mywrk9l1zc1qmmsq4o2_250.gif

It just gets me every. Single. Time.

Mephiles's little pirouette is also pretty funny.

tumblr_m6bqdt8O7H1rw5y90o1_400.gif

Day 6: Klonoa laughs at Sonic 06 by talking about something

So mechanically wise, Sonic 06 is a really broken game. But there's something in the game that's just so hilarious that it has to be brought up. The Gems.

Gems.jpg

That right, these stupid useless things. Purchasing these gems allow Sonic (And only Sonic apparently) to use varying abilities. The Green Gem does some unless tornado attack, The Blue Gem boosts Sonic's speed (which btw is so broken that it's better off not using), etc. The problem here is that because the Action Gauge was never implemented properly, so these abilities can be done indefinitely, allowing you to pretty much spam and cheap the whole thing. But here's the real kicker, the Purple Gem.

The Purple Gem allows Sonic to become smaller, but it gives him the ability to jump an infinite number of times. This can be used to skip through other playable characters in a few levels, and you can access completely different closed off areas that Sonic was never meant to travel through. It's fun to screw around with it, and it's hilarious that all of the gems in general function like broken useless tools. If you want to see something that the programmers just did not do right, it's these little buggers.

Watching the Game Grumps play it for the first time.

Every episode and every reaction opened up a floodgate of memories for me in that game.

Getting lost in the hubworld, boss battles, and levels, the weird snowboard physics, Silver's insane boss battle, Shadow needing to use vehicles, and other things I had forgotten in the void of my memories.

There were also some things I didn't even notice during my time with the game that I saw during their play through, such as the cutscene for defeating Egg Wyvern.

bye.gif

I hate that hedgehog (Dr. Eggman 1991-2006) R.I.P.

This was probably the best part of the entire experience.

https://youtu.be/WuGsRmEEx6s

Too bad they never finished it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well... I think this is the part of '06 that made me laugh hardest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOgWlE6nz4&list=PL40D61A7EB6EEA7DD&index=20

It's just an honest-to-God legitimately funny moment. What do you know?

Question #5 What is your headcanon for a character?

I like to think that vector, espio and charmy actually do get some legit detective jobs every once in a while but it'd be something silly like finding a squirrels lost nut or helping a kitten out of a tree or something, adding on to this I think epsio secretly goes on to secret ninja missions while vector and charmy aren't looking.

Question #6 What is the funniest thing to come out of sonic 06?

This

Literally nothing can top this for me.

The funniest 06 moment you say? There is only one correct answer:

shadow-kicks-silver-o.gif

Haha take that you Trunks wannabe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Sonic_Man.jpg

SONIC MAN

I'm seriously disappointed that we have not seen this amazing, mysterious individual since '06. Who is he, really? We'll never really know. And, in a way, I don't mind that, but it'd be nice to see him again. 2016 will be his 10th anniversary, so maybe then?!

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1