Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog Mk.II (Daft and Tolerating It)-PAGE 72, FIN

Dr. Crusher

Hoo-boy, catch-up time!

Question #3: What new item(s) would you like to see in a future game?

I don't really have suggestions for newer items, but I would echo support for the return of the Combi Ring from Knuckles' Chaotix. It was a very useful item when trying to get to the Special Ring at the end of a level, and since it can only be used once at a time, it's not easily abuseable. I suppose it might be redundant since most, more recent games have been more forgiving with the amount of rings you lose per hit, but this wouldn't be a bad stand-in if that system is dropped.

Other than that? I would like some combination of character upgrades and the skill shop from Sonic Generations to return. I personally enjoyed how the characters could get gear that enhanced their natural abilities, and I think it'd be great to expand that into skills that you can equip or remove at will, granting you a different experience each time. I'd see them as a more flexible replacement for the Wisps. Say you just cleared a fire level, what if you can revisit it with a newly equipped Flame Ring to explore areas that were closed off to you before? Or obtaining an Air Necklace so you can revisit that water level and search hidden caverns that you wouldn't have been able to without needing to search for air bubbles? This is basically the function these items served in the Adventure games, opening new areas and shortcuts in levels you'd already played to offer a different, possibly more challenging experience, and I think adding the ability to customize and choose what items/skills you equip (with a certain number of slots allotted to each loadout) could add a lot to replay value in each stage.

Question #4: What were the most difficult challenges for you during your early/younger years with the series?

The first one that sticks out, to no one's surprise, is obviously that damn barrel in the Carnival Night Zone. My sister and I really struggled with it and only managed to sort of do it (once) when we played together and just kept jumping on the damn thing with Tails until Sonic could get through. The sad thing is? The solution is much easier than you think it is, but the problem is that it isn't remotely obvious. It doesn't help that none of the other barrels in that zone even behave in the same way, so it makes this particular puzzle (in a ridiculously long act already) even more pointless and tedious than it should be. It seems purely designed to waste time, and the reason I primarily played S3&K as Knuckles more often than I did as Sonic and/or Tails as a kid.

Another one that sticks out to me is the Biolizard in SA2. It's not even that I found its pattern very difficult, but I used to get thrown off for the last hit, where it'd turn off the gravity in the chamber and you're practically defenseless against the eggs it summons. I did eventually beat it, but I remember it taking me over two weeks of several tries, between replaying the Hero and Dark stories, to finally do so.

I'll also make a quick mention of Big's stages because I initially just didn't get them, and, naturally, I just thought they were boring. Eventually they kinda made sense to me, that it was really easy for me to clear them with minimum effort, and I sort of liked exploring those couple little locked off areas exclusive to him in Emerald Coast and Ice Cap. Still not a great gameplay mechanic, at least for a Sonic game, but I don't think I hated them as much when I understood the controls. They're just "meh" now.

Question #5: What sort of unseen or unrecognised interpretations/traits do you like to imagine for certain characters?

So, this isn't mine, but I really liked it that I thought I'd share it.

http://hedgecanons.tumblr.com/post/116831801218/shadow-is-actually-very-patient-which-means-hes

In a way, I think it makes sense that Shadow would probably be more patient with children, but loses it with characters that he feels should "know better," and he'll treat Sonic as a pest (though this fades after some time). I also think this extends to the fact that he didn't noticeably berate Amy and Cream for sidetracking him in Cryptic Castle, when his goal was to get to Eggman and interrogate him. He just told them that they should steer clear of trouble and Eggman altogether (though I think this was more directed at Cream who got lost, as Amy was actively searching for her and Shadow is aware that Amy is capable enough).

On a related note, I personally think the events of Shadow the Hedgehog are specifically Shadow's retelling and he purposefully paints Sonic as nuisance who doesn't shut up. It's notable when none of the other characters are really treated this way.

I'd also imagine Shadow enjoys raising Chao, and is quite proud of the Dark Chao that's always seen with him in the Sonic Channel images. He'll take it trick or treating or otherwise play along with whatever little mischief it gets into, and likewise it is loyal to Shadow and will attack anyone who gives him a hard time.

Finally, and yes it's another Shadow bit, but I also think his competitive nature comes out in anything he takes on. He believes he really is that good and will give his all, even in something that he'd consider "beneath" him. He'll just pretend he doesn't care. Unfortunately, he's kind of a sore loser, but he'll actually force himself to get better.

Besides Shadow, I think Knuckles has some kind of security system on Angel Island which allows him to leave more frequently if he feels he has to. In desperate cases, Chaos fills in, but otherwise the standard traps on Angel Island, which Knuckles is constantly improving and probably gets help from Tails, do just fine. Even still, he gets anxious being away for too long, and always worries Eggman will take advantage of the situation and go after the Master Emerald, so he always rushes Sonic to keep the pressure on Eggman so he can't attack Angel Island.

Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Like last year, the problem is that I haven't played '06, so it's a little harder for me to pick out the sorts of things people so readily point and laugh at.

There is this, though, which is its own special kind of WTF:

tumblr_inline_na3dfcrDlY1rbcotu.gif

This game really is a broken mess, isn't it?

In general, my answer would mostly be centered on the bad acting and animation in this game, and the excessively poor timing in cutscenes (the scene where Omega battles Mephiles immediately comes to mind, because Omega's slow and robotic actions suck all the tension out of the scenes).

Day 6: Sonic 06 lololol

Well, I can say as much as I want about the voice acting, it's already been talked about. I do however think that the way the characters magnetize to any surface they walk on unless they're supposed to is funny. It leads to some eyesore laughs, like the spazzing characters stuck between sidewalks or on rooftops.

alsoitsfunnywhenpeoplesayboomisworsecausethatssofuckingwrongitmakesmelaugh

Day VI: 06 (and other) Narm

In Sonic 2006, I found super-real Robotnik to be weirdly goofy. I mean really, he's no longer even that fat, more pregnant-ish than anything. Why couldn't they just re-use his SatAM design for him instead? I also found he contrasted the anthros. Why didn't they make them more realistic still puzzles me to this day, and I still want them to go the realism route one day. Lets not forget Sonic walking up a loop. It's pretty similar to some of the equally odd glitches of 4, where Sonic can easily get stuck. I found it funny to see Sonic walking in place. Lost World was just as narmy, if not moreso. I felt Sonic had what he got in the game coming for how much of an ass he was, and some of the levels were mind-numbingly stupid. 

Question #6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

I am going to say Mephiles because he was such a weird funny character. Then somebody on youtube made him funnier by making him repeat "chicken flower egg seed" it makes no sense but funny than.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 5: Your personal character headcanon

Knuckles

I believe his deep-seeded envy of Sonic's freedom eventually drove him to start accompanying Sonic on his adventures after the events of the Adventure series gave him a taste of the outside world. Spending more time with Sonic helped him become more energetic and laid-back, and gave him a better outlet to make use of his strength. Over time he began spending time traveling and treasure hunting across the world during quiet times.

Day 6: Most Hilarious thing to come out of Sonic 06

What I feel represents everything wrong with this game.

Terrible gameplay, retarded story, cringe inducing animation and voice acting, all these things make Sonic 06 a horrible video game and one of the most broken games ever made. The sheer number of ludicrous glitches though, turn this game into comedy gold!

Edited by Rusty Spy

DAY 06: THAT GAME.

well...let me put it like this...

*ahem*

CHYEAH! REMIX! YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH COME ON

WE GON TAKE 'EM ALL THE WAY DOWN WIT DIS ONE, STILL WE GON KEEP IT MELLOW AIGHT. KONVICT STYLE

http://youtu.be/t36agO2H-ZU

well the most hilarious part for me isn't the song itself because truthfully I still like that remix, but it was hilarious for me that they somehow managed to get Akon on board for this piece-of-crap game. But I guess for most of the people here, the song would be hilariously bad, so it all works out I suppose haha

And the Sonic/Elise ending thing...yeah don't get me started haha

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 6: What is the funniest thing *you know... besides actually buying the game* that Sonic 06 has given me?

You know, oddly enough during my first (and only) full playthrough of 06 I never really ran into that many glitches. Though, the game was still a terrible piece of crap. I guess the funniest experience I had with it was with some of my friends one time. One day in high school one of my friends and I were chatting in the hall during lunch. Somewhere down the line he mentions that he had recently brought Sonic 06 because he and someone else were planning to see just how bad it was. Now, I reacted the way any sane fan of the series would by calmly asking

1Kuukfn.jpg

I mean why on earth did he spend money on that? It's not like he was that into the series or anything. He then started to laugh and assured me it was going to be a good use of his time and money. He then invited me over. I took the offer as I did actually want to see a live reaction of this game in person. XD

So the next day (Friday) we're all over there playing the game, having a couple of laughs. Though, when we get to the first Silver battle the other kid says "You know, this game isn't AS bad as people led me to believe". Now I'm usually the one in the group of friends to defend mostly anything Sonic related under the sun but at that moment... yeah, no. I asked for the controller and performed the glitch where silver throws you outside the stage. As I begin to run around the full area these guys start laughing their asses off XD. The fact that I was able to explore the full hub world during the boss fight like it was nothing (and the fact that the game even loaded all of that) had them in stitches. As I go back the boss area to then let silver catch me in the air and throw me. And...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBtii5ClQPM

Dead. They were both laying down laughing hysterically at this point. They were blown in every sense of the word. I was laughing just based on their reaction to it. XD Needless to say, that was probably the best moment I have ever gotten out of 06 strangely enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY SIX: FUNNIEST 06 THING (ISN'T IT FUNNY HOW THE THING RELATED TO 06 IS THE SIXTH QUESTION ON THIS EVENT)

tumblr_mgnbrptBM11rj64zqo1_400.gif

The in game cutscenes were downright laughable. Honestly, how the characters are animated in this game are just seriously....seriously bad. Shit on Boom all you want, at least the in game cutscenes in that game were animated fairly well. You've got pretty bad character models, pretty bad lip syncing, and pretty bad timing...y'know what the animation in this game as a whole is pretty bad. Stuff like this gif is pretty funny though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Funniest Sonic 06 moment.

The fact that this CAN and WILL happen if you're not careful.

https://youtu.be/yBtii5ClQPM?t=1m11s

It's hysterical. The first time I've watched this video I had to turn off the PC, otherwise the laughing fit would have killed me. Seriously, I stopt breathing. And even now, I can't help but smile at this video.

Also, Sonic Man.

I never played Sonic '06, and I have no intention to either. Most of my knowledge of the game comes from the Game Grumps playthrough, which has already been mentioned.

So let's go for this instead!

In looking for this video, I just realised Frobman has now done Sonic Colors In Brief too, so that was a pleasant surprise.

I am going to say Mephiles because he was such a weird funny character. Then somebody on youtube made him funnier by making him repeat "chicken flower egg seed" it makes no sense but funny than.

Day 6: Funniest Thing From Sonic 06

"Head to Wave Ocean Immediately!"

*Starts 10:44

This really is something special. For those who don't know, at this point in the story Shadow receives a message from GUN telling him to go back up Omega. The voice actor fluffs his line, well actually he doesn't, rather he questions the name "Wave Ocean" for some reason and then repeats the line putting particular emphasis on the word "Wave".

Players will always encounter this. It plays automatically at this point in Shadow's story so it's not like you even need to talk to someone in order to find it. Still, always worth a laugh seeing that they kept it in.

Day 6: Funniest Sonic '06 Moment

Okay, I'll be honest. Not much came to me as funny when I first played the game. I mostly found it an enjoyable experience and never ran into many funny glitches or stuff people usually get when they play the game. Most things I just brushed of as kinda weird like the voice acting and the plot and stuff. However one moment I just couldn't stop laughing at was when Eggman just tumbled away after beating the.. whatever the boss's name was. 

tumblr_mywrk9l1zc1qmmsq4o2_250.gif

Look at him go.

Yeahh, put me in the Sonic Man camp. The numerous glitches and failed attempts at storytelling were good and all, but Sonic Man stole the show - not just in the humor department, but the entire game.

sonicman_by_proffessorzolo-d53ju4b.jpg

I dunno, it was just like a "wat xD" type deal with me. I think that's the reaction they were going for? Whatever, I found it to be really funny regardless xP

He had so much potential. Too bad he debuted in such a weak game, or I think we could potentially be seeing spin-off titles starring this guy :(

• Thumbs Up 1

There's also this glitch that can occur with Blaze in Wave Ocean. To this who aren't aware, it involves the use of her version of the Homing Attack in that bit with the lighthouses.

https://youtu.be/nPpzqosuW9I?t=157

I don't know about you guys, but this instance just strikes me as especially funny. Not to beat a mummified horse here, but it's like she took one look at the game and her overall role in it, muttered, "Nope," and took off back to the Sol Dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 6: Funniest Sonic 06-moment

Well, there aren't so many because story doesn't have any real funny moments and I haven't really run into glitches. But quickly thinking my favourite moment has to be Shadow kicks Silver: This seems to be many players's favourites and I love that myself too

Oh I have lots within the game itself...crazy Sonic Breakdancing of Death, the Eggman 'ABANDON THREAD' Egg Wyvern gif, the Knuckles note catch fail...

Even with all of that, there is one thing I still consider one of the funniest things about the game to date. The 'legendary' PokeCapn n' Friends Let's Play of the game. Who can't forget the glorious times 'Capn and the gang had with the game? Their romp with the Dusty Desert billiard puzzle? The various Mach Speed section calamity? Hearing the group get systematically depleted both mentally and physically playing? The End of the World section, where they just had enough of all that crap? Even better that they went into it blind! Hell, they downright despised the game so much, when Generations came around and they played it (blind might I add) when the got to Crisis City they outright refused to mention ANYTHING about its source material! 

And of course...perhaps the one line that many who seen it all could remember...

ALL GLORY TO THE CACTUS KING!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

To everyone mentioning Silver getting roundhouse kicked by Shadow, so far none of you are doing it right :P

I know it's been mentioned several times so far but forget the gifs-here's the real deal with sound from the actual scene which makes the moment even more hilarious:

Don't get me wrong, as I really like Silver, but I find him getting a roundhouse kick in the head by Shadow to be both random and hilarious!

But alas, that's actually not my answer for Day 6...

Day 6: What is the single most hilarious thing to come out of the entirety of Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

This remark from Shadow in Sonic '06:

It's not the quote itself but the way it was delivered. Shadow meant no laughs and giggles to occur with that outburst, but he was all melodramatic with it, that it was funny anyway. Shadow waiting until Rouge reached up to touch it to tell her not to touch it was odd in itself and funny in it's own way due to what little sense that made.

Not to mention that hilarious moment gave us this:

Unintentional hilarity is extra hilarious in my opinion. Especially when it leads to things like that :P

• Thumbs Up 3

CATCH UP TIME

DAY 4: Hardest moments in Sonic games when you were younger?

Bear with me here, my Wii U automatically refreshes and makes me lose my post if I change tabs, so I can't double check the actual names for these days. ;-;

Let's see... I honestly think the Biolizard boss was hardest for me. It was mainly the part where you start floating in the air with all those eggs and you have to try and land on his back. I died a good 15 times on that boss. On the other hand, I was 5 years old, so...

Runner up is Mystic Mansion. That stage was ridiculously hard and I blame the physics.

DAY 5: Unseen traits of characters you think exist?

God that's probably wrong too I like to think that Shadow isn't all that grumpy. Like, maybe he wants to make friends but can't really due to social issues, and so he acts distant towards others because he doesn't know any better? I dunno.

DAY 6: Funniest moment in Sonic 06?

I don't think I can find an image for this one but... The part where Silver throws Sonic at the wall in Soleanna. Sonic's face just looked so horrendous I couldn't keep a straight face. It reminded me of Pinhead Patrick in that one episode of Spongebob. XP

A'ight sorry if this seems rushed, but I honestly didn't have much to say on these subjects. ^^;

Day 6: Funniest Sonic 06-moment

Knuckles' behavior. Hands down.

It's been said a few times around here but Knuckles in '06 looks and acts like a dude whose been invited to a really lame party and really doesn't want to be there. He just stands around and looks awkward and not eager at all to interact with anyone, like he's the odd one out in the congregation of people.

There's the rather amusing moment when he fails to catch the hologram message that Sonic throws at him painfully slowly.

And the very funny moment when everyone splits like a banana to find the emeralds to revive Sonic and he initially runs off in completely the wrong direction only to realize it and run off in the right direction a few seconds later.

ibrEjrqagC82x5.gif

Poor dude. It's like he's knows that he's starring in a travesty and just wants out.

• Thumbs Up 4

To be honest, nothing in Sonic 06 made me personally laugh while playing it. More often than not, I don't derive humor from media that's cringe-worthy, bad, or both. If anything, it induces a feeling of apathy or anger depending upon the work in question. However, I tend to laugh at and join in with the reactions of others when a game bugs out or has something weird in its cut scenes, so probably the funniest thing to me to come out of Sonic 06 is Arin's reaction to the Knuckles wall glitch. The entire moment is a LP classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsSJuMGZmQ

EDIT: Just in case it's too much of a subversion to mention something meta about the game's existence as my answer, I know I can say for certain there's two moments in Sonic 06 that were not only successful in amusing me, but they did so intentionally. The first is the banter between Eggman and Shadow after Radical Train, specifically the moment where Shadow bursts in from the roof, and all Eggman can respond to in a deadpan voice is "Wouldn't the door have been easier? =|"

The second is the ending of Sonic's story when he gets Elise off of the crashing sirship. I don't think it's a stretch to say that the face he makes when the explosion gets him the boost necessary to get over the cliff is pretty humorous. xP

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ok, missed two questions again, time for Catch up!

Question #5- My own interpretations of some characters

I always thought Eggman never fixed or simply scrapped Orbot and Cubot because, even if they give him a lot of shit, they still make good points about his plan, so having someone around to help him notice any flaw he couldn't notice himself, and give him criticism to get him angry to the point where he'll try harder is something he saw he needed in his future plans, not only that, but having only emotionless  mute robot mooks who'd just be destroyed in a few moments would probably make him feel pretty lonely, so he built robots who would not only criticize him, but also wouldn't be afraid of him as he's their boss, since if they did, they'd be only subordinates, not friends who feel like they're all on the same level.

I also felt like Zavok changed his focus from Eggman to Sonic too fast, why? Because Zavok always wanted to be the strongest being, to conquer everything and everyone, and now he had a way to power himself up, and he knew from Eggman, that Sonic was a hero, that he'd be a thorn in his path, so as soon as he got the means, he shifted his focus on breaking Sonic physically and mentally with everything he could, making good use of any chances he'd get, just to make sure nothing would be in his way once he got around being strong enough to conquer other planets.

I... Don't think I have something else... I'm not that good with headcanons.

Question #6 - Funniest Sonic 06 Moment.

Dear god, this, see Mephiles was supposed to just have a silly cartoony jump into offcreen territory. But the problem here is that to do that, they needed to make his model do a silly spin, nothing wrong right, as soon as he's offscreen, he could spin all he wants, since no one would see, as long as he started spinning right as he went offscreen. Problem is, he was still onscreen enough for us to see HE WAS ACTUALLY SPINNING. Now that alone is funny. But let's think of this from Silver's perspective. MEPHILES IS LITERALLY BALLERINA-SPINNING AROUND HIM WHILE TELLING HIM WHAT TO DO. THAT'S OUR MAIN VILLAIN.

Ok managed to catch up, NOW LETS HOPE NOTHING LIKE THIS WEEK EVER HAPPENS AGAIN.

Day 6! Funniest Sonic 06 moment!

Ohhhohoho there are MANY. First and most obvious one is Shadow kicking Silver in the back of the head, that always makes me grin (because Silver deserved it). Then there's Mephiles doing a ballerina twirl which you can see above. XP

Now here's the not so obvious ones. This hilarious moment during Game Grumps' playthrough...

bye.gif

And some of the characters' death screams. Yeah I know that sounds weird but have you noticed how exaggerated most of them sound?

Silver: NNNNOOOOOOOO!

Shadow: NNNUUUUUU!

And then there's Rouge who sounds like she's moaning rather than falling to her death. XD

Rouge: Ahhhhhhhh~!

I initially get pissed off when I die for the stupidest reason, but then I laugh because of their hilarious screams.

• Thumbs Up 2

DAY 5: SEGA SHOULD LOOK FOR WRITERS HERE

Amy

I think cooking is probably a hobby for Amy, I have a feeling she would probably combine a lot of different foods together to make something crazy but delicious. And I bet she teaches Cream and Tails (And Sonic, though that probably work out too well.) how to cook as well. I see her as someone with something of an "I'll try anything once" type of personality. She probably gets bored of things easily, so tries new things often. As far as her crush on Sonic, I think she's put it out there, and she'll let Sonic make the next move, when he's ready.

Sonic

And as far the blue blur is concerned, I have to echo what Ogilvie said about him,though I'd say he's pan sexual rather than bisexual. I think in the future he might settle down with someone, but in the present he's happy being on his own, free to do whatever he pleases. Also, I think he's sarcastic, but not mean sarcasm, clever and witty sarcasm.

Rouge

I think Rouge's sense of humor is similar to Sonic's, and that's probably how they get along. I believe she has a thirst for excitement and adventure, and that's why she works for GUN and the president, and why she started her own nightclub.

Vector

I think vector DJs when he's not doing detective work or helping save the planet. He has an eclectic taste in music, and is also a pretty good rapper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 6: WOULD TEARS OF LAUGHTER RELEASE IBLIS?

I think the funniest thing for me is when you attack the towns people and they make one of the silliest screams I've ever heard. Especially the ones sitting that get up and run away from you, but only like 5 feet away, kinda of like you're a bug flying around them, rather than someone who just attacked them.

The bit when Eggman falls from the Egg Wyvern and bounces on some random parts. It's funny because it's unexpected after a rather serious fight, and the fact that the game lacked this kind of humour and BAM! funny bit.

Also, everytime people freaks out about that kiss :P