Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

This isn't Naughty Dog and Insomniac. This is a completely new studio. Basing your faith in the game off studios that aren't even involved in the project for the most part isn't wise.

I based my expectations of the gameplay off of them, I got what I expected.

I based my expectations of the story off of them, I got what I expected.

I based my expectations of the world off of them, and I got what I expected.

Clearly my faith that there would be similarities between the three studio's approaches aren't coincidental, and should probably looked into. To brush it off as "They're different people" at this point is out of the question for me, though, and I will continue to expect quality of the same levels from them.

...please no extra lives again, though. That was just lame, however useful it turned out to be.

There's also the fact that this game has no lives, so it would be even more redundant than it was then.

Er, no it's not. I mean sure, it has platforming elements in it, but it's first and foremost an Action Adventure. This is completely different from a pure platformer, as it has the responsibility of emulating a feeling of adventure throughout it's levels, which requires a more movie-scene structured take on the level design philosophy. It's just as much a standard platformer as M&L in these terms, and certainly gives them a fair share of design leeway.

This seems like a weird distinction to make to dismiss the point. For one, not every 3D Sonic game can neatly fall under the realm of platformer either; Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleashed could undoubtedly be described as action-adventure games for their extraneous elements and overall design motifs. Secondly, the characteristics and traits of the cartoony action-adventure genre and the 3D platforming genre overlap tremendously to the point where many games can easily be considered to fall into both realms comfortably. Third, even if I were to agree and say that Sonic Boom is somehow as far removed from the original genre of the franchise as something like Forza or whatever, this still doesn't mean having the expectation of slightly-faster-than-normal movement in the main brunt of the game is something completely unfounded and that people are rudely and ignorantly leveling at the game. Again, it's part of the Sonic franchise whether people want to admit it or not, thus the layman who doesn't know anything about what Boom is supposedly trying to do is going to pick it up and expect a faster speed than what has been given. Following from that, many fans are going to be disappointed that speed was not interpreted in a unique way or incorporated into the new gameplay style seamlessly. This is not the audience's fault either, it's BRB's. 

• Thumbs Up 8

haha, Don't believe VG chartz.

Sonic Generations sold just 1.85M copies.

I at least tried to give you a source, where's yours?

Christmas?

Many AAA titles will be released and Sonic will be forgotten. and Trash guaranteed, actually In Asia, They assure this game will be trash.

one game will release on Christmas.

So.. Sonic Boom's sales won't be increased because of other pokemon title will be released on Christmas

"Other Pokémon title at Christmas". If you're talking about the much-speculated Pokémon Z, that hasn't even been confirmed. We haven't heard anything from Pokken Fighters, and pretty sure there isn't a spinoff coming out this year.

Yeah reviews aren't anything, But most of Normal Gamer thinks Sonic Boom is trash.

Design? it's warmed?.. oh.. Stop. Design is horrible. really..... really,,,, horrible. , At least in asia, They hatred this game design, and many reviewers hates this design either.

Most "Normal Gamer" haven't played the fucking game. And yes, the design is "warmed" because people adapt and realise the designs aren't really that bad anymore.

That's why this game graphic is soooooooooooo bad. Today is Early 8th generation. not a Early 7th generation. and I try to blind test to this game graphic, and many people think this game is PS2~Nintendo 64 game. (Compare to DMC3 and Sonic Boom Please)

But this is also Nintendo's first HD console, while Sony and Microsoft have had two cracks at it at this point. I, for one, could excuse a little lack of graphical fidelity. Also, you're delusional. Even if you did blind test, firstly, YouTube videos aren't exactly the best form of showing off a games graphics, so, unless you have the game (which I'm sure you don't), the footage you showed doesn't represent the live and final product. Also, heh I actually physically lol'd when you said Boom looks like an N64 game.

Bad marketing strategy,

Steam Locks, That proofs Sega's marketing ability isn't good.

Or... Y'know... They have an exclusivity contract..?

Bad Sales estimate

Source - Sega Sammy's 4Q financial report.

Yeah, urm, link?
  • Thumbs Up 1

at least tried to give you a source, where's yours?

This,

"Other Pokémon title at Christmas". If you're talking about the much-speculated Pokémon Z, that hasn't even been confirmed. We haven't heard anything from Pokken Fighters, and pretty sure there isn't a spinoff coming out this year.

ok. 

Most "Normal Gamer" haven't played the fucking game. And yes, the design is "warmed" because people adapt and realise the designs aren't really that bad anymore.

What's mean Warmed?

But this is also Nintendo's first HD console, while Sony and Microsoft have had two cracks at it at this point. I, for one, could excuse a little lack of graphical fidelity. Also, you're delusional. Even if you did blind test, firstly, YouTube videos aren't exactly the best form of showing off a games graphics, so, unless you have the game (which I'm sure you don't), the footage you showed doesn't represent the live and final product. Also, heh I actually physically lol'd when you said Boom looks like an N64 game.

Nope, I tested screenshots and youtube video, 

and Reviewers played Sonic Boom but they think this game graphic is still PS2. Plus, according to this Demo part is included directly in final version

Or... Y'know... They have an exclusivity contract..?

No.

Yeah, urm, link? 

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/pdf/release/201403tanshinhosoku_final_j.pdf

What's mean Warmed?

People are used to the designs, it's not a bad thing anymore.

Nope, I tested screenshots and youtube video, 

and Reviewers played Sonic Boom but they think this game graphic is still PS2. Plus, according to this Demo part is included directly in final version

No reviewers have said anything about graphics.

No.

Lol. Y'know because we haven't had loads of articles saying SEGA has entered a three-game exclusivity deal with Nintendo. Those games are Sonic Lost World, Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and Sonic Boom. Which therefore means the game doesn't get a release on Steam.

People are used to the designs, it's not a bad thing anymore.

No reviewers have said anything about graphics.

Lol. Y'know because we haven't had loads of articles saying SEGA has entered a three-game exclusivity deal with Nintendo. Those games are Sonic Lost World, Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and Sonic Boom. Which therefore means the game doesn't get a release on Steam.

1. Hmm.. Source? I think only sonic fans are used to the designs

2. http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/27/hyrule-warriors-hands-on-preview-plus-the-misery-of-sonic-boom-4778036/

The fact that the new character designs are so ugly, and the graphics look like a first wave Xbox 360 game, are so far down the list of problems we dread to think what else the final game will get wrong.

http://www.vgstations.com/en/news/item/1150-sonic-boom-was-the-worst-sonic-game-i-ve-ever-played.html

I was incredibly disappointed by the graphics. This game looked uh-gley. Low res textures and objects that would pop-in and pop-out randomly were normal in Sonic Boom. This became more prominent in the boss battle against Eggman which involved multiple missiles, enemies, and things trying to kill Sonic and his friends at once. The framerate began to stutter almost as though the Wii U was struggling to keep up. Sonic Lost World looked way more polished than this and that game ran at 60 FPS. At times it even looked like a really good Wii game. Even Sonic 06 looked better than Sonic Boom. Yes, it’s that ugly. I also couldn’t help but feel surprised because, and if I recall correctly, the first Sonic Boom trailer looked spectacular and really boosted the CryEngine. When it came to E3 everything was dumbed down in quality. I left two videos below for comparison.

More?

3, Oops I misunderstand previous post, but Sega's Steam lock is one of the worst thing in game history, they locked ANY PC games in Asia because, they think "PC games didn't sold in japan, = PC games won't sold in Asia"

Meh, even with the low price I'm still not even considering pre-ordering Sonic Boom. I'm waiting for the reviews and impressions first...

You can always place a pre-order to maintain that £29.99 price and cancel it later if you're still not interested in the game. Retailers don't take any money until they despatch the game and no deposit is required. 

I'm imagining Yuji Naka's face when he sees the prototype of Sonic Xtreme

What's that got to do with this?

The full game's impressions? I know I would wait for those before plopping down my hard-earned money on something I'm not sure of.

Plus there's the fact that ND and Insomniac used to be/are terrible at making engaging first levels.

I doubt the people's mind's will change when the full game drops. If they don't like it now, what's gonna make 'em like it then? Even if there are a couple levels they end up liking, that's still only a couple out of who knows how many.

Sega outlines Boom intentions.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sega-looking-at-sonic-boom-trading-cards-archie-comic-adaptation/

• Toys & Games.
  • Clothing.
  • Publishing.
  • Accessories.
  • Food and Drink.
  • Temporary tattoos.
  • Sticker collections.
  • Party goods.
  • Cakes.
  • Boutiques within stores.
  • Trading cards.

We sure this isn't replacing the main Sega Sonic line?

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as the Rise Of Lyric gameplay didn't replace the style we've come to know, then I suppose it wouldn't be all that bad.

So I think I might have an idea as to what Stealth meant by Sonic Boom must be successful.

Sega intends to license out boom along the following categories.

• Toys & Games.
  • Clothing.
  • Publishing.
  • Accessories.
  • Food and Drink.
  • Temporary tattoos.
  • Sticker collections.
  • Party goods.
  • Cakes.
  • Trading cards.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sega-looking-at-sonic-boom-trading-cards-archie-comic-adaptation/

This is quite clearly a huge marketing push for SEGA, with them reinventing it for western audience.

The first thing I think of when I hear of all this tat they're pushing out, is promotion...

PROMOTION.gif

...No, not that kind of promotion...

Basically, if they line the toy-stores, newsagents, and whatever else with this stuff, it basically adds at publicity. People will see it, and even if they're thinking of buying it or not, they'll think "Oh yeah, Sonic Boom! That's a thing" - and the job's done. Kids will see it, and nag their parents about Sonic Boom. If it's popular, shops will advertise that they've got the toys stock, giving the Sonic Boom even MORE free publicity. People actually buying it is an added bonus, basically. You see this (or used to, when film companies had more disposable income) all the time with family movies and TV shows. I think SEGA probably did something like this in the 90s for Sonic as well.

So, yes, this is a big thing for SEGA, they're really going all out in ensure this Sonic Boom thing is in people's heads. A marketing Merchandising blitz indeed...

... Here's hoping they actually get round to distributing some of that merch.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm gonna have to get every Boom plush toy and action figure that comes out. Here's hoping they don't take too long hitting the shelves.

Also, cakes, huh? I know it's dorky, but I might just have to ask for a Sonic Boom cake for my next birthday.

This is what I've been saying from the start. Boom is such a huge initiative in that it's essentially relaunching the entire franchise. I'll believe that it's not replacing the main line when I see it. My guess  is the the main series will, at best, continue as a very small side series. You don't make a huge new image for a a change redesigning everything with a TV show and then put it on level or lesser footing that what you already had.

Though I feel the need to mention that if Sonic somehow did become properly two-tiered is being implied, with Boom attempting to cater to the younger audiences that SEGA has been trying to go after for past few years and SEGA Sonic returning to a slightly more mature audience, I could potentially love the result. It just doesn't seem at all likely.

• Thumbs Up 5

If this does indeed replace Sega!Sonic as the primary franchise, they are really going to have to step it up in the game department. Especially since that bit of news might piss of those who are waiting for a new Sega!Sonic title to begin with.

Yeah, Ubi makes a good point. After all, the cartoon was announced before the games were, so it seems to be more important than everything else.

I doubt SEGA would really undo all the work Sonic Team has done over the years, anyway. They know the longtime fans will leave the fanbase in boatloads if that happens, and that is not good for business, especially when they've put so much time, money, and effort into the Boom sub-franchise.

I'm looking forward to Boom, but I know throwing away the old franchise in favor of it would be suicide. There wouldn't be any coming back from that.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Food and drink"? ...I will definitely buy Sonic macaroni and cheese. Just saying.

...and Sonic snacks...just cause...

and for my 16th birthday I'm...I wanted a Sonic cake, anyway...just as long as it isn't the promo art with Sonic's weird, huge, blue forehead.

You can probably tell I haven't eaten all day.

I'm so curious to see these, though!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is what I've been saying from the start. Boom is such a huge initiative in that it's essentially relaunching the entire franchise. I'll believe that it's not replacing the main line when I see it. My guess is the the main series will, at best, continue as a very small side series. You don't make a huge new image for a a change redesigning everything with a TV show and then put it on level or lesser footing that what you already had.

Though I feel the need to mention that if Sonic somehow did become properly two-tiered is being implied, with Boom attempting to cater to the younger audiences that SEGA has been trying to go after for past few years and SEGA Sonic returning to a slightly more mature audience, I could potentially love the result. It just doesn't seem at all likely.

This. Boom stomping over Modern Sonic was also a worry of mine back when this was announced. I didn't think it was crazy to consinder it a possibility given the amount of effort that was put into this, and how they were branching everywhere. This news renew my worries about such an outcome.

On the other hand, dividing the franchise like this could actually prove wise for a number of reasons. I would of course really like to get a game I really like to play, and it makes me really anxious to see what could come out if this is carried out properly.

But all in all, between the news about the movie, and those of Boom and just how big it is and how it's everywhere and the general reception I have seen for most of those things (which, in turn, are the only things we know for certain about Sonic for the future)... I have no idea how to feel. I don't know if it's justified or not, but I don't think this is going to have a good outcome for Modern Sonic. I don't believe it will trully be able to operate independently of how Boom does.

On the other hand, I really have to ask, why make it this big? I don't think it was crazy to make a spin off (apart of whether I like it or whether I think it was carried out correctly), but they just went with this and made it so big out of a sudden. On what grounds? This is something new and unproven. I would expect somebody to tread lightly from such an outlook.

I'm not as old in the fandom, but when was something of similar magnitude made for Modern Sonic? I do think there is a ton of stuff of him, but it's not the same as I think that was gradual and made over time, this is so sudden and coordinated and planned... and all these new things they are going to do for Boom are in the exact same markets as the stuff for Modern, which may seem obvious but I'm not sure if it's a sensible thing to do if they really mean what they say.

I think it kind of seems like...SEGA's tactic to get Sonic back on track is to first just launch this, this alternate universe that has nothing to do with 06 or Lost World etc. Once they've captured the new audience, the kids, fans, etc. then they'll go back to Sonic...at least, that's what I think?

So I think I might have an idea as to what Stealth meant by Sonic Boom must be successful.

Sega intends to license out boom along the following categories.

• Toys & Games.
  • Clothing.
  • Publishing.
  • Accessories.
  • Food and Drink.
  • Temporary tattoos.
  • Sticker collections.
  • Party goods.
  • Cakes.
  • Trading cards.
If this franchise were be flopped. What sega would do?...

I'm very afraid that Sega Loss too much money and Restructuring headquarters fire Sonic Team employee and abolish Sonic. or Sammy just shut down Sega.

And now on time, If they are already manufacturing that thing, I repeal my claim which "Stop develop Sonic Boom" . Because they Spent TOO mucy money for developing and manufacturing Sonic Boom.

But Considering Gaist crusher and hero bank flopped, It will be flopped. Because Sonic Boom's current situation is Very similar as Gaist crusher and hero bank(In detail, Mediocre-horrible game quality, and marketing strategy (Plus hero bank is made by Sega(of course It FLOPPED))

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

If this franchise were be flopped. What sega would do?...

I'm very afraid that Sega Loss too much money and Restructuring headquarters fire Sonic Team employee and abolish Sonic. or Sammy just shut down Sega.

And now on time, If they are already manufacturing that thing, I repeal my claim which "Stop develop Sonic Boom" . Because they Spent TOO mucy money for developing Sonic Boom.

But Considering Gaist crusher and hero bank flopped, It will be flopped. Because Sonic Boom's current situation is Very similar as Gaist crusher and hero bank(In detail, Mediocre-horrible game quality, and marketing strategy (Plus hero bank is made by Sega(of course It FLOPPED))

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

Can this just stop in general. This really isn't adding to the discussion and we are just going on a back and forth loop and Sega's whole financial situation. Can't that be left to another topic. This is starting to derail way past gameplay discussion.

• Thumbs Up 6