Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

And how do you know this?

The simple fact that the collectables are gameplay and media related rather than just medals, money won't be only available to buy thousands of skins, again will be focused on the actual gameplay, and (probably) won't have permanent multiplyers and different tiers, and... well, have you ever played a Lego game? They're not the most atmospheric games in the world, y'know. It's not hard to top them with the underwater level's atmosphere, at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Lego games, better than this???

Yes. Easily so. Fact of the matter is, comrade, just because they don't appeal to your taste in action games doesn't mean they're bad. The game revolves around its currency; the point of all those allegedly superfluous collectables is to increase your score and allow you to purchase new characters or bonuses, and while dying may not send you back to a checkpoint it does dock you the pay you've been working so hard for. The fact that the game puts this center stage and not just platforming or combat should be obvious enough by the giant golden points meter that dominates the HUD. It's a Kirby's Epic Yarn, not a Super Mario Bros. It's not that you can't not like the game, comrade, but as least insult it for legitimate faults.

And for that matter, the early LEGO games manage to be twice as charming as Boom even without uttering a single word of dialogue. That is craftsmanship.

• Thumbs Up 8

Ehh that's where it comes down to people's own taste because while the Lego games are fun with friends, there still not the best. And I still feel this tension because it's not normal Sonic. If only I could type better on this phone.

Edit: your "craftmenshift" may not apply to how all feel, also...

I don't know, but now that live gameplay from Japan has actually gotten me more interested in the game than all of the gameplay we've seen. Much faster paced and I like the use of Sonic's spin dash being more than to get speed again.

I know I may be the black sheep here but, while I'm not hyped myself, I don't see anything wrong with what I saw so far about the game.

-The banter during gameplay is annoying? Fine, if there won't be an option to turn them down, I'll just turn the volume down myself with my remote control and listen to the music in my Mp3,

-The graphic and the models of the characters are not astonishingly beautiful, but not even that ugly.

-If the game allows me to skip combat sequences with the good old homing dash, good!

-Some puzzles will be really painful to solve and I will need to check walkthroughs? A little/huge bit of frustration never killed me.

-Tails yells "Last one to the bottom is a rotten Eggman!"? That's wonderful! It means he's a cheerful kid instead of an obnoxius thorn in the side(kick)!

I swear, these above are my actual thoughts and I'm not forcing anyone to feel the same. Seriously, I'm 100% serious and I can't wait for november to come.

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying to do everything possible to gloss over problems and force yourself to like it.

- If the dialogue is so constant and annoying that it deters from the experience, having to mute the game and listen to the audio through another device points to a huge issue in design. I actually can't believe you're seriously saying that that's not a problem to you for this game or any other. I don't think the dialogue will get on my nerves too much, but even so it's a big flaw. You can't dismiss it.

- How nice the game is to look at is subjective, but the quality of the graphics isn't. For some reason though they look a lot worse than they did before at the initial reveal and certainly not up the the Wii U's highest capabilities.

- You can't skip combat with the homing attack. It simply functions as one of Sonic's, presumably weakest, attacks. You'll be sat there endlessly tapping A to take down a single enemy, which is even worse than the combat sounded before.

- I don't think we've heard anywhere that the puzzles are likely to be difficult, especially unlikely considering the target demographic.

- That last point is the same as the first; the dialogue won't sit right with a lot of people (also it's Amy that says that particular line).

I had to bring this up because, while you're perfectly welcome to enjoy the game, it irks me to see you saying "oh such and such won't bother me" with your reasonings because it's turning a blind eye to multiple big issues.

Yes. Easily so. Fact of the matter is, comrade, just because they don't appeal to your taste in action games doesn't mean they're bad. The game revolves around its currency; the point of all those allegedly superfluous collectables is to increase your score and allow you to purchase new characters or bonuses, and while dying may not send you back to a checkpoint it does dock you the pay you've been working so hard for. The fact that the game puts this center stage and not just platforming or combat should be obvious enough by the giant golden points meter that dominates the HUD. It's a Kirby's Epic Yarn, not a Super Mario Bros. It's not that you can't not like the game, comrade, but as least insult it for legitimate faults.

And for that matter, the early LEGO games manage to be twice as charming as Boom even without uttering a single word of dialogue. That is craftsmanship.

... This is the first time I've ever seen anyone defend this aspect of the games.

I never said that it was bad for an action game, though. In fact, I think it's bad for any game genre, period. The rewards are very superfluous, ranging from big heads to invincible hearts, (which by that point would be entirely pointless due to multipliers) and the "new characters" are just skins, as you get all the figures that actually matter from the story itself. The currency, like you said, is hard to collect, except not due to dying, (which can be regained after regenerating) but due to it's small value. Once you get the multiplyers, though, the value of the stud greatly increases, which makes a $15 stud become a $12,056 stud. Which makes the gold bar and alternate skins easy as pie to get, and by that, I mean by picking up only two studs. This is broken beyond recognition, and I can't see how anyone could defend it.

I could list many more reasons why these games are far below Boom quality, though, if you want me to. The physics, the puzzles, the way the abilities are handled, the camera, the platforming, the glitches, the representation of Legos themselves, etc. etc. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could ignore these flaws, and still say "easily so" with a clean conscience, regardless of tastes.

Though I will admit the early Lego games did have pretty funny cutscenes. Part of why I liked them so much.

• Thumbs Up 2

Edit: your "craftmenshift" may not apply to how all feel, also...

Well comrade, I would say that would be because craftsmanship doesn't quite work that way. The LEGO games are excellent examples of silent comedy, whereas Sonic Boom, by most accounts, appears to be a rather poor example of dialogue-driven comedy. Now, one can prefer one type of comedy to the other, and I'd be rather silly to say you couldn't, but from what we're seeing now the LEGO games have an effort and nuance put towards their direction that Boom lacks in its own. This could change when the game comes out of course, but then we don't quite live then yet.

... This is the first time I've ever seen anyone defend this aspect of the games.

I never said that it was bad for an action game, though. In fact, I think it's bad for any game genre, period. The rewards are very superfluous, ranging from big heads to invincible hearts, (which by that point would be entirely pointless due to multipliers) and the "new characters" are just skins, as you get all the figures that actually matter from the story itself. The currency, like you said, is hard to collect, except not due to dying, (which can be regained after regenerating) but due to it's small value. Once you get the multiplyers, though, the value of the stud greatly increases, which makes a $15 stud become a $12,056 stud. Which makes the gold bar and alternate skins easy as pie to get, and by that, I mean by picking up only two studs. This is broken beyond recognition, and I can't see how anyone could defend it.

I'm not entirely sure what needs defending here, comrade. That the game is a bit tougher when you play it how it's supposed to be played? That fan-service bonus characters are fan-service bonus characters? Is it that the multiplier, the thing you toil hard to get, actually ends up helping you if you would just like a smoother ride going onwards, and that if you'd rather rough it you can turn it off?

I don't honestly know what you expected from these games, comrade. Glitches and camera angles aside, what you've described to me is the game working towards its intended purpose.

I'm not entirely sure what needs defending here, comrade. That the game is a bit tougher when you play it how it's supposed to be played? That fan-service bonus characters are fan-service bonus characters? Is it that the multiplier, the thing you toil hard to get, actually ends up helping you if you would just like a smoother ride going onwards, and that if you'd rather rough it you can turn it off?

I don't honestly know what you expected from these games, comrade. Glitches and camera angles aside, what you've described to me is the game working towards its intended purpose.

"How it's supposed to be played"?

Not only does this sound ridiculous, as upgrades are supposed to be how you play a game, but are you saying that sticking to the terribly undervalued system makes the games entire point any better? Getting coins to get skins?

That's like praising a microtransaction game for the amount of hard work and time you put into getting this specific amount of in-game cash, when you could have just spent one buck for the 120 hours you wasted. For a skin.

I really don't understand where you're coming from.

And iirc the multiplier is not hard to earn, at all. Lego City is the only game that took actual effort to get one.

Boom indeed does have a "craftmenship" of it's own making these characters come to life in a way that Sonic Team themselves haven't been able to grasp.

@BlueBlood people have been glossing over positives to point out the negatives so..m

• Thumbs Up 1

@BlueBlood people have been glossing over positives to point out the negatives so..m

Could you give me an example? I honestly think there's a lot more bad about RoL than there is otherwise. And most of the issues are pretty big and can't be ignored.

Boom indeed does have a "craftmenship" of it's own making these characters come to life in a way that Sonic Team themselves haven't been able to grasp.

People keep saying that but from what I've seen so far I don't really see that much of an huge difference.

People keep saying that but from what I've seen so far I don't really see that much of an huge difference.

Coming straight off of replaying Heroes...I can concur with this. 

Currently. Many Normal Gamer think Sonic Boom is awful now. They(reviewer and normal gamer) think Graphic is just same as Early PS3~Late PS2. Game system is horrible (I mean. Gameplay system ITSELF is horrible.(reviewers already blame this part. so. I skip it)

In this situation You have Any Realistic method to improve Sonic Boom??

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

Ugh, now I'm hating on a series I don't really mind in reality.

Look, all I'm saying is that Sonic Boom has better... well, everything... than the Lego games have, not that they're absolutely unenjoyable pieces of turd. I sometimes enjoy their exploration, (Lego City was awesome with this) their stories can be pretty entertaining and endearing, and just the simple fact that they use Legos for the construction of elements makes me squee inside. They could be better... a lot better... *looks at Lego Island series* but they're still relatively enjoyable games that I might pick up from time to time.

Just... don't compare them to something on the level of this. It's really not fair.

Just... don't compare them to something on the level of this. It's really not fair.

Is it not fair because boom would get its ass handed to it?

Just joking I'm not gonna claim boom is better or worse than lego. but boom is definitely nowhere near being in a position that it can figuratively "look down" on the lego series. In order words they aren't on a "different level".

To get back on topic, I've been thinking about this for a while.

You know how the speed stages are said to be the transition stages between the hub and the normal levels? And how the area able to be seen below the speed section from E3 looked like part of a level?

What if the game works like Jak and Daxter, and has no load times at all, using the transition levels/sections to load the level before you get to them? A totally seamless experience, where you transition between the hub and the normal levels without any interference?

• Thumbs Up 1

That would make the most sense considering that they probably wouldn't have much of a place used for many other things. Gotta make those load times less apparent somehow.

"just because they don't appeal to your tastes doesn't mean its bad" This can be applied here too in the case of sonic boom . I mean sure you can say the game will be bad outright but its all still within your personal taste.

• Thumbs Up 3

"just because they don't appeal to your tastes doesn't mean its bad" This can be applied here too in the case of sonic boom . I mean sure you can say the game will be bad outright but its all still within your personal taste.

Well I think it goes without saying some people are gonna like a game. I mean some people like 06 but that doesnt mean its not an objectively bad game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well I think it goes without saying some people are gonna like a game. I mean some people like 06 but that doesnt mean its not an objectively bad game.

And that's why Sonic Boom is(will) a Bad game. Of course Some fanboys and even little normal gamer likes it but Most of people hatred this game because of a lot of reason. (especially bad design and bad gameplay)

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

But when does it come down to actual complaints and people just needlessly bashing the game. It finally has explore-able levels and multiple characters that aren't useless but people down it because it looks generic? It's only like 4 of however many stages guys how can you call the whole game bland off this? Idk. But I try to make a future ideas for Boom topic - people say it's too early to consider ideas, people say they hate the game - and all of a sudden there's enough info to decide the whole game experience. Double standards. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Saying the entire game will be "bland" this early on will only be correct by coincidence. Saying it otherwise is mainly wrong seeing as it is based on minor game speculating. What people have seen can be referred to as bland but it also can be seen to reflect the entire game in some areas, so the claim could be true but at the moment it is not even though it isn't entirely baseless. Calling to see the future "success" of Boom isn't really going to get much of anything when the game's success isn't seeming so likely as it once may have been. Its easy to call towards the failiure of a game when you have people playing a good number of levels in a demo and the previews from those people being more negative than positive no matter how exaggerated the reactions can be.

*post*

I didn't say success- just a "what if- in the future." like what would you like in the future were pretty much my exact words. I still call shenanigans. 

But when does it come down to actual complaints and people just needlessly bashing the game. It finally has explore-able levels and multiple characters that aren't useless but people down it because it looks generic? It's only like 4 of however many stages guys how can you call the whole game bland off this? Idk. But I try to make a future ideas for Boom topic - people say it's too early to consider ideas, people say they hate the game - and all of a sudden there's enough info to decide the whole game experience. Double standards. 

It finally having explorable levels means nothing if the levels no longer look beautiful or interesting. We haven't seen "just 4 stages", we have seen 20 minutes of game play that is meant to sell you on the game. Sorry but even 5 minutes is enough to make a game look cool, trying to make the excuse that they we haven't seen enough is just silly at this point.

That kind of question would almost always give off the feeling that you're "assuming its going to be successful enough to have much of a future" type of vibe when the game was already really far away from being released and there wasn't much to go on. To know everything that you would want from Boom in the future, you'd need to know what you already have and at that point we barely knew anything.