Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

This almost sounds like it's going the way of Lost World's story, a random series of ideas cut up, tossed in the air, and pieced together.

Different strokes I guess. Personally I'd love to see him have this quirk, I think I'd bring some fun to the character.

Yeah, definitely a different strokes situation. I've always found musical numbers intrusive and very cringeworthy in anything that isn't broadway or first and foremost a musical. If Lyric's entire motive was explained through a song and dance number, then they're basically asking me to skip the cutscene and not know. :v

• Thumbs Up 3

This almost sounds like it's going the way of Lost World's story, a random series of ideas cut up, tossed in the air, and pieced together.

In that case, that doesn't leave me with much hope. Lost World's story felt a bit messy and the ending was just mediocre. The story was one of the only remaining things in this game that I thought was interesting too...

I seriously doubt this'll be anywhere near that bad (I say this as someone who liked Lost World's story, at least way more than the past couple games's plots). If there's one thing I think we can expect from this game, it's a well written and put together story. 

I don't know how you can say this, anyway, considering we know very little about the story for this game. Of course it looks like a series of random ideas now.

If the game allows you to use homing attacks instead of forcing you to combat, the gameplay doesn't suck THAT much.

Ehhhh not necessarily. In general game design, you want to make sure that you properly scale a character's actions to effort. In short, the simplest of actions take the least time/effort to perform, while something more specific or more powerful might require more time/effort. For instance, with Mario, a simple jump only requires the A button, but a more complex or effective jump requires a bit of hand-work. It gives the player a sense of accomplishment or mastery when they can get down something tougher or more technical and use that effectively.

However, if, say, Mario's normal jump was able to overcome any pit or reach any secret in the game, there would be no use learning the other mechanics. Even if the other mechanics are still there, people won't use a more complex method to get something they can with the press of an A button. If we say that Mario is primarily a jump-y sort of game, then we've just undermined the game's entire system of play. It's broken.

The same goes for Sonic Boom and the homing attack. If people have a choice between a simple homing attack and the slightly more complex fighting system where both net the same result, most people are only going to use the homing attack. The game's fighting system thus outdoes itself by being useless on top of being slow or clunky.

...THAT WAS A LOT TO SAY SORRY GUYS

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Boom: Amy and Sonic Gameplay from Nagoshi stream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4FN619dnE

I know its a little late but these guys definitely show off the game better than the guys at E3 did, combat looks a whole lot more fast paced here when you start using more mix ups of the characters' moves.

• Thumbs Up 8

If the game allows you to use homing attacks instead of forcing you to combat, the gameplay doesn't suck THAT much.

I think he was just joking that time.

I'm actually really intrigued to know what they're all talking and laughing about. Is there any sort of loose translation? 

A couple more previews have appeared.

E3 2014 Preview: My Sonic Boom Demo was Broken
http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/131071/e3-2014-preview-sonic-boom-demo-broken/

There's reason to be concerned with Sonic Boom
http://www.shacknews.com/article/85166/theres-reason-to-be-concerned-with-sonic-boom

Wow those headlines sure sound positive. I'm going to read those clearly glowing impressions right away!

I'm not concerned about the bug mentioned in the first one, which makes up the bulk of article. The only other thing he talks about is that the running level is more like Sonic Dash than regar Sonic, and says that's disappointing (understandably so). The other article talks about problems we've seen before. Nothing new here.

Rise of Lyric could have been very good. I'm not writing it off as a bad game yet nor one that I won't be able to enjoy, but I think it's going to rather poor. A damn shame.

• Thumbs Up 4

A couple more previews have appeared.

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/131071/e3-2014-preview-sonic-boom-demo-broken/

There's reason to be concerned with Sonic Boom

http://www.shacknews.com/article/85166/theres-reason-to-be-concerned-with-sonic-boom

The first article is what I always want to read.

Not a "oh my god a glitch this game is destined to be garbage and whatnot" temper tantrum. No. It's from someone who found a glitch and politely pointed it out to an attendant, and concluded that it's completely normal to find glitches in a demo.

• Thumbs Up 5

... Well, you guys probably already know that I'm not one to be all Debbie Downer, especially in regards to a Sonic game. However, I'm not gonna lie here: seeing all the mixed-negative preview impressions of the game is killing my interest in it. I mean, usually, a Sonic game would have more positive-mixed previews, with a scant few negative ones here and there. That it is being received so generally poorly so far is just really worrying to me--how will the final reviews be like with this precedent in mind? unsure.png

I'm kinda concerned about the whole lassoing thing. Is that something you do to enemies and bosses throughout the whole game? It's likely going to get old, being so repetitive.

One of the things I like about Zelda games is that it never gets old- there's always something new to fight with, something you have to figure out on your own sometimes, but it's not repetitive.

Even games that your character only has themselves to fight are unique because of the enemy, it's weak spot! Not the same repetitive pattern...

I really hope it's not the same lassoing for each boss (I can't say I really think it's going to be, but if it is...I will be a disappointed girl.)

... Well, you guys probably already know that I'm not one to be all Debbie Downer, especially in regards to a Sonic game. However, I'm not gonna lie here: seeing all the mixed-negative preview impressions of the game is killing my interest in it. I mean, usually, a Sonic game would have more positive-mixed previews, with a scant few negative ones here and there. That it is being received so generally poorly so far is just really worrying to me--how will the final reviews be like with this precedent in mind? unsure.png

More than likely.

I know I may be the black sheep here but, while I'm not hyped myself, I don't see anything wrong with what I saw so far about the game.

-The banter during gameplay is annoying? Fine, if there won't be an option to turn them down, I'll just turn the volume down myself with my remote control and listen to the music in my Mp3,

-The graphic and the models of the characters are not astonishingly beautiful, but not even that ugly.

-If the game allows me to skip combat sequences with the good old homing dash, good!

-Some puzzles will be really painful to solve and I will need to check walkthroughs? A little/huge bit of frustration never killed me.

-Tails yells "Last one to the bottom is a rotten Eggman!"? That's wonderful! It means he's a cheerful kid instead of an obnoxius thorn in the side(kick)!

I swear, these above are my actual thoughts and I'm not forcing anyone to feel the same. Seriously, I'm 100% serious and I can't wait for november to come.

• Thumbs Up 1

The banter during gameplay is annoying? Fine, if there won't be an option to turn them down, I'll just turn the volume down myself with my remote control and listen to the music in my Mp3,

You shouldn't have to play a video game with the volume down becuase of the banter during gameplay. So yeah, that's a huge problem if the banter becomes so irritating that you're force to mute your TV and listen to something else. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You shouldn't have to play a video game with the volume down becuase of the banter during gameplay. So yeah, that's a huge problem if the banter becomes so irritating that you're force to mute your TV and listen to something else. 

This will not be a problem for me.

This will not be a problem for me.

Comrade, with all due respect, it seems you're already set to like this game no matter it's actual quality. Of course it's not a problem for you, NOTHING has been.

See? Fast combat. Even the enerbeam is faster in this.

From what I can tell, that the bot that carried the trumpet weapon appears to be a power-up vending bot, as in previous videos, he gave the user a giant boxing mitt when defeated. Wonder how many other weapons there are.

Also, I like how Sonic's level design contains of a lot more ramps and timing-based hazards than what we've previously seen (or at least what I've seen), as I feared he would only consist of homing attack chains and speed-boosters without a purpose. Much better variety this way.

• Thumbs Up 3

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/131071/e3-2014-preview-sonic-boom-demo-broken/There's reason to be concerned with Sonic Boom

I mean, this is Sega we’re talking about here. You’d think you could count on them for a solid experience.

I'm sorry, but I'm dying with laughter right now. After such disasters as SEGA's movie tie in games, Aliens Colonial Marines, and various blunders with the Sonic franchise, I don't know how exactly you can say that you can rely on SEGA for a solid experience. When it comes to modern day SEGA, my rule is to approach with caution, and I don't think I'm the only one.

But back on to the topic of Boom......yeeeeahhh......this really doesn't fill me with confidence at all. In fact, it's kind if like a warning light to me, and it's one that I can't really ignore. It's not that the gameplay has been slowed down that has irked me, but it is in fact the execution. The gameplay looks very standard and generic and kind of a carbon copy of some of Sony's platformers and the LEGO games, but kind of dull.

I think I might skip the Wii U game and just get Shattered Crystal.

The Lego games, better than this???

I might enjoy a few Lego titles that come out once in a while, but... come on, you have to give BRB credit for being better than that, at least. Sonic Boom has a death design that actually gives enemies and death traps a point, a collectable system that isn't superfluous, a money system that isn't both broken and superfluous, and a level of atmosphere that the Lego games could only dream of achieving. Not saying that Lego games are altogether bad, but... they're a lot worse than Sonic Boom could ever be, especially since they have to be pushed out every year.

• Thumbs Up 3

a collectable system that isn't superfluous, a money system that isn't both broken and superfluous, and a level of atmosphere

And how do you know this?