Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Omote, you have no idea how Sonic Boom not being shelved works, do you? Why it's still coming out, how they think it will sell?

Sonic Boom isn't just another run the mill Sonic game, for better or worse. We'll see if this does truly turn out to be a great reinvention of the series when it hits, or another shitty Sonic game that falls short of potential. Regardless, trying to pull in new fans is an effective strategy that can easily lead to this game.... Booming in sales, at least for a Sonic game.

If you really want to talk about killing the series, then sure, pulling the plug on a project they've pumped a shit load of money into and canning others one mere fan finds unsatisfactory that could sell for them should do the trick.

And don't bother trying to weasel out of this by spewing all this economic BS when your bias has been made clear over your anger at its quality.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 3

Me saying its not a sonic game suggests I hate its direction as much as me saying its not a shooter. Well if you wanna claim that saying."the facts show you think that" has a different effect  "I think you think that" you can go ahead, but you would be wrong.

Okay, seriously, will you fix up your statements structure-wise please. I'm starting to have trouble understanding your arguments. Punctuation and grammar are a mess here and it leaves much to imagination.

Assuming the case is that you think the they have the same effect, you'd be incorrect since that was neither the case nor the intent.

Those are just claims with nothing to back them up. You cant just go around saying you have undeniable proof that boom will sell so little that it will be better to just cancel it now. You don't know anything about how much it cost to develop this game,how much they have already spent or how much will be spent later

I know development cost is over $20M(Not R&D expense) and I know Sega's average cost of sales rate and I know average package game cost of sales rate (about 60%) 

And Considering Sonic Lost World sales. Sonic Boom sales won't be far better than Lost World.

So it would be better for them to just take the current 20+ milllion dollar loss rather than make at least some of it back through sales?

I guarantee this game will sell if only because it's Sonic, one of the big gaming mascots. How many Mom's do you know that follow gaming journalism? I'm willing to bet none.

Yeah, and People buy it. and People hates this game and then People Hatred Sonic franchise.

and one of the big gaming mascot? Sonic is even less popular than Touhou project, the one of the successful indie game,

If Sonic is still big gaming mascot, Please give me a Sonic Series Market cap or Sonic series Net sales after FY2013.(I mean, Source)

That isn't how economics work.

So. what is economics work? 

Urm, stopping the development of Sonic Boom means they don't even have a chance to make that back? At least if it goes to retail, there's a chance SEGA'll be in the black.

Edit: Ninja'd by JaiRO >:U

Yeah, it possible if this game sales estimate isn't ridiculous. But actually, Sega estimate Sonic Boom will be Sold over 1.5M~ 2.1M copies (600k copies is Wii U 0.9M~1.5M is 3DS) (source, Sega Sammy's financial report)  Considering Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost world sales, It's Impossible. 

They will manufacture too many copies, and they won't shipped to retailers and even shipped copies can returned because of bad sales.

Plus, I think Sonic Boom sales is just 100k copies during 3Q. and other shipped copies will be returned.

Reason? is simple

Pokemon OR AS release date - 11/24, Sonic Boom release date - 11/25 (even if Not, Both Sonic Boom and Pokemon OR AS are released in November)

If you were kid and If you can buy only one game, and You know game market, which do you buy it? Sonic Boom, A trash guaranteed game? or Pokemon, a perfect game quality guaranteed game? 

So. sales will be horrible, retailers return copies, and Sega loss their R&D expense and even Manufacture expense. and Plus, Sonic Brand will be devastated. 

Conclusion - Bad Release date, Bad game quality, Bad Design, Bad Graphic, Bad Marketing strategy, Bad sales estimate, = Flopped Hard. 

I see some people cancelling their pre-orders. Personally, I think this is a wise thing to do.

I'm not saying Sonic Boom is bad. We can argue about that till the cows come home. However, in my opinion, Sonic Boom is pretty...

Well, mediocre. And there's nothing wrong with that. Many (if not most) games nowadays are mediocre, fitting a trend and not really adding much. And that's fine. There's still the audience for it, and they'll pick it up.

Thing is though, price tag - is it worth paying £50 on launch for? For me, no. I fell for that with Lost World, and I kinda sort regret it with Generations now. Unlike Nintendo brands, Sonic's price tags usually drop, and quite far down too. So maybe, £15 pounds a couple of months afterwards? Absolutely.

Personally, I'm not one to condone pre-orders period. There's no telling how trying it could be if a pre-order got screwed up, and paying what's essentially extra just to get a game, that'll probably need its fair share of updates later anyway, just feels unnecessary to moi.

Yeah, it possible if this game sales estimate isn't ridiculous. But actually, Sega estimate Sonic Boom will be Sold over 1.5M~ 2.1M copies (600k copies is Wii U 0.9M~1.5M is 3DS) (source, Sega Sammy's financial report)  Considering Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost world sales, It's Impossible. 

Well, Gens sold 3.33 million units, so...

Plus, I think Sonic Boom sales is just 100k copies during 3Q. and other shipped copies will be returned.

Reason? is simple

Pokemon OR AS release date - 11/24, Sonic Boom release date - 11/25 (even if Not, Both Sonic Boom and Pokemon OR AS are released in November)

If you were kid and If you can buy only one game, and You know game market, which do you buy it? Sonic Boom, A trash guaranteed game? or Pokemon, a perfect game quality guaranteed game? 

"A trash guaranteed game". Please, stop. You're acting like you've played the game start to finish and know it back to front. Which is pretty unlikely that you have. And while a Pokemon game - Hoenn is one of the most panned generations, that and Sinnoh. AND WE STILL HAVE THE CHRISTMAS FUCKING PERIOD TO GET GAMES.

So. sales will be horrible, retailers return copies, and Sega loss their R&D expense and even Manufacture expense. and Plus, Sonic Brand will be devastated. 

Conclusion - Bad Release date, Bad game quality, Bad Design, Bad Graphic, Bad Marketing strategy, Bad sales estimate, = Flopped Hard. 

>bad release date

This is the one thing I maybe concur with you on. The release date ain't great. But one game at release and one at Christmas is viable.

>bad game quality

I'd like to say reviews aren't everything, so I will.

>bad designs

The designs are pretty much warmed to at this point.

>bad graphics

It's about on par with an early PS3 game.

>bad marketing strategy and sales estimate

Source pls.

• Thumbs Up 6

The final product might pleasantly surprise us and be good. But to be honest, I think that this is unlikely. I'd be happy if it did turn out to be good, but I can't risk my money on holding out on hope when that was exactly what I did with Lost World. Luckily, Lost World wasn't that bad for me, I at least enjoyed it. But Boom, I'm afraid, just doesn't look enjoyable to me. Which is a shame, because if BRB did something similar to Sanzaru did, I think this would have turned out better.

I really wanted to like it, but I can't just pretend to like it if, quite frankly, the game just doesn't resonate with me well.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay let's analyze and dismantle this negative preview.

The very worst game in the line-up was Sega’s Sonic Boom, which was so unspeakably awful we couldn’t even force ourselves to play through the whole demo. Sonic: Lost World might have been a disappointment, but at least it seemed to be trying. Sonic Boom is just a hateful bore of a game, that seems to exist only as a showcase for every mistake you could possibly make when creating a 3D action adventure.

The camera is constantly staring at the floor, or anywhere other than where you’re going, the combat lacks any kind of skill or tactility, and the puzzles and level design are so migraine-inducingly banal it almost seems like some sort of meta criticism of the whole genre. The fact that the new character designs are so ugly, and the graphics look like a first wave Xbox 360 game, are so far down the list of problems we dread to think what else the final game will get wrong.

we couldn’t even force ourselves to play through the whole demo

Which cuts the reliability of the article by a 50%. Videogame (p)rewiers should play the whole thing before spitting judgments.

The camera is constantly staring at the floor, or anywhere other than where you’re going,

For what I saw in gameplay videos, the camera is staring at the floor because the enemies are on the floor and the fights have place on the floor.

Grammatically speaking "anywhere other than" means that the camera is looking where you're going and anywhere.

If whoever wrote the article meant "anywhere but where you're going", this is not the impression I got in the gameplay videos.

the combat lacks any kind of skill or tactility

But this doesn't mean the combat system is buggy or glitchy or hard to control.

Considering the mood of whoever wrote the article (who admitted he didn't even bother to play the whole demo) I assume he just mashed the buttons out of rage.

the puzzles and level design are so migraine-inducingly banal it almost seems like some sort of meta criticism of the whole genre.

"Migraine-inducingly banal"? Is this an oxymoron? Because a "migraine-inducing" puzzle is hard, but a "banal" puzzle is easy/predictable. The two adjectives can not coexist in the same sentence.

If the guy who wrote the article cared to explain in detail what he intended with this (like, you know, describing the puzzle and explaining why said puzzle is bad), I would have found the article a little bit more informative.

The fact that the new character designs are so ugly

This is a subjective thing.

and the graphics look like a first wave Xbox 360 game

Again, subjective. And I don't see why looking like a first-wave XBox 360 game is a bad thing.

In conclusion, this "negative opinion" shouldn't even be considered.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why are we always going out of our way to dismantle every negative preview word by word in a desperate attempt to discredit them

I didn't dismantle every, just that one.

I know development cost is over $20M(Not R&D expense) and I know Sega's average cost of sales rate and I know average package game cost of sales rate (about 60%)

And Considering Sonic Lost World sales. Sonic Boom sales won't be far better than Lost World.

They are launching a promising looking cartoon along side the game, I'm willing to bet that would bring in a consumer or two.

Yeah, and People buy it. and People hates this game and then People Hatred Sonic franchise.

and one of the big gaming mascot? Sonic is even less popular than Touhou project, the one of the successful indie game,

If Sonic is still big gaming mascot, Please give me a Sonic Series Market cap or Sonic series Net sales after FY2013.(I mean, Source)

People already hate Sonic and his franchise, it's too late for that. What is the TouHou Project? I've never heard of it.

Fuck that, I'm not going to go sorting through hundreds of statistics just to prove to you that Sonic is still a well known series. Do it yourself those stats don't mean squat-diddly-shit to me.

So. what is economics work?

Did you just ask him to explain to you the entirety of economics? You're funny man, I like you.

Yeah, it possible if this game sales estimate isn't ridiculous. But actually, Sega estimate Sonic Boom will be Sold over 1.5M~ 2.1M copies (600k copies is Wii U 0.9M~1.5M is 3DS) (source, Sega Sammy's financial report) Considering Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost world sales, It's Impossible.

Again there is a giant marketing push behind this psuedo-reboot, that could bring in more customers.

Reason? is simple

Oh good you went to the future to check the third quarter's sales.

I'd be lying if I said Sonic sold more than Pokemon nowadays, but to expect retailers to return the copies back to the manufacturer has got to be the funniest thing I've heard today.

When I was a kid I didn't understand game-quality or follow shitty gaming-journalism. I bought games that looked cool. Just like everyone else. I bought Sonic 06 because the box looked neat.

I'm not excited for Boom either but "guarenteed-trash"?

Also did you just call Pokemon perfect? X and Y had very little post-game, Diamond and Pearl was too slowly paced and featured boring locations, not to mention Ruby and Sapphire featured the most dreadful soundfont of all time.

The Sonic brand survived Sonic 06, I think it'll be okay.

Conclusion - Shitty argument, Terrible examples, Irrelevant stats = Nonsense

Sonic Boom looks to be shit gravy to me, but to say SEGA should cancel it is probably the worst financial advice of all time.

Sorry for the slow response by the way, I'm on mobile.

• Thumbs Up 4

No, it means it's shallow and boring, which is almost worse.

Honestly your analysis manages to be worse than the preview, considering you're nitpicking the grammar and wording of it.

1: shallow and boring are also subjective things.

2: I read the article and come to the conclusion that the opinion of the guy who wrote it is just a poorly expressed opinion and we shouldn't be influenced by it.

So, from what I've heard, Sega's apparently doing a livestream of sorts for the Japanese version of the game on Monday. Should we expect some new info to be announced there, however miniscule it may be?

If you're going to ignore every complaint because it's "subjective", there's no point in even pretending you're analyzing anything.

2: I read the article and come to the conclusion that the opinion of the guy who wrote it is just a poorly expressed opinion and we shouldn't be influenced by it.

You complained about things that have nothing to do with Boom because they weren't worded exactly as you think they should even though everyone knows what they mean.
  • Thumbs Up 6

So, from what I've heard, Sega's apparently doing a livestream of sorts for the Japanese version of the game on Monday. Should we expect some new info to be announced there, however miniscule it may be?

I'm certainly hoping we will get some new info. They're demoing Rise of Lyric and Iizuka will be doing a Q&A with viewers. As it's the first time it's being shown to the public in Japan though, I'm hoping they won't just show a Japanese version of the same demo from E3.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/06/sega-japan-to-demo-sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-in-livestream-event-june-30th/

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, I don't really care about sale statistics, I just play the game. Statistics are for SEGA to handle.

What the hell is the TouHou Project? I've never heard of it.

63sls0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

You complained about things that have nothing to do with Boom because they weren't worded exactly as you think they should even though everyone knows what they mean.

Well, I didn't know what they mean (english is not my first language) Thank you for clarifying it.

I'm not sarcastic, I sincerely thank you.

"Shallow and boring" may be subjective, but it's a little troubling when that seems to be the general consensus. Plus, it seemed like you were saying that the combat being buggy and unpolished was the only justifiable reason to say it's bad. I mean, honestly, I'm with Dio here - boring is almost worse.

And a poorly-expressed opinion isn't necessarily a dumb or invalid one. I mean...if the only thing wrong with that article was some of the word choice, I don't think we should discredit it :V

I know a lot of us really want to go into the game with high hopes and ignore all the negative feedback, but negativity so vast and sweeping is...kind of hard to ignore. Even if the preview wasn't that well-written, that doesn't change the fact that the previewer obviously didn't have fun - and it seems that most other previewers have felt the same way. It's not the kind of thing you can just brush off.

• Thumbs Up 3

Why are we always going out of our way to dismantle every negative preview word by word in a desperate attempt to discredit them

Because it's a badly written preview? I don't care about it being negative, I think it's a badly written preview.

• Thumbs Up 4

Because it's a badly written preview? I don't care about it being negative, I think it's a badly written preview.

Is it really that important? Seriously?

We understood the message that they're trying to tell us, I don't see what the big deal is.

Agreed. The lack of professionalism in it is what makes me wary of this impression in particular.

• Thumbs Up 2

Metro is a free newspaper given out on the buses and trains here in the UK, so I doubt their staff get paid that much. It has more of a casual and easy reading style of writing to it, yet still manages to be more respectable than trashy tabloid stuff like The Sun and the Daily Mail. 

TL;DR: It's a free newspaper, so don't expect high standards of professionalism.

Well, that would certainly explain some of the bad vibes I'm getting off of them.