Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

You know, I still can't believe SEGA actually went out of their way to fix glitches like falling through the stage, Knuckles infinite jumping and more. Even Sonic 06 didn't get that kind of attention!

Wait... we lost pretty much all the hilarious Boom stuff during the server crash?!  :o

You don't think this has all been part of some elaborate scheme by SEGA to wipe out any mention of RoL from the known universe and act like it never existed in the first place, do you?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELLS YA!

• Thumbs Up 1

Gee whizz I hope this game is good!

16786212291_9266653430_b.jpg

oh...

Huh, well it's one of those rare moments where there isn't a dissonance between players overall and critics. Interesting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh, well it's one of those rare moments where there isn't a dissonance between players overall and critics. Interesting.

Well, it's indisputable shit. Go figure.
  • Thumbs Up 4

The saddest part of this...

We've lost that precise moment when everybody knew just how this was going to turn out. The gif/video heard around the fandom.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, I still can't believe SEGA actually went out of their way to fix glitches like falling through the stage, Knuckles infinite jumping and more. Even Sonic 06 didn't get that kind of attention!

They only fixed a few glitches I've ran into a few when I downloaded the patch in the end its still a bad game

They only fixed a few glitches I've ran into a few when I downloaded the patch in the end its still a bad game

Haha, I know that. XP I just think it's funny that Sega even bothered to patch it, or at least ask BRB to do so. If they didn't bother with Sonic 06, why not this POS?

Haha, I know that. XP I just think it's funny that Sega even bothered to patch it, or at least ask BRB to do so. If they didn't bother with Sonic 06, why not this POS?

Because it automatically proves that RoL is better than 06. XD

But to be honest, I guess they thought a GB patch fix would help improve the game but I guess it didn't seem to work out.... :/

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it's indisputable shit. Go figure.

Eh redd-shrug.gifCan't argue with that, I'm afraid.

Okay, now that SSMB has traveled back in time, we need to warn MAIA that Sonic Boom is going to flop hard.

Maia1.PNG

"Calculating.... Calculating....

This makes sense." 

• Thumbs Up 3

If I could just post the gif and everyone liked it again, that'd be great.

RDJlTG7.gif

Was... this that gif?

I think I was wise not to spend £40 on this. Maybe when it comes down to £15-£20-ish (not that I suspect it's worth that much - just curiosity/completionism).

But to be honest, I guess they thought a GB patch fix would help improve the game but I guess it didn't seem to work out.... :/

As someone who's played the game. the patch definitely did help improve the game. I played the game at launch but I didn't actually beat it until after the patch. The amount of bugs was lowered (I actually didn't have a single bug occur after) and the framerate was improved. Loading was also drastically cut. With the patch, the game became more enjoyable.

I'm not saying it turned the game to Super Mario Galaxy 2. No patch will do it.

• Thumbs Up 4

The patch improved the game from a technical stand point, but it's still not not up to par and from every other angle it's still pretty darn bad. I've purposefully not let the update happen yet, cause there's no way to remove it and I don't wanna lose this:

htRiLxd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

*Walks in*

I still like this game and wasn't disappointed at all TBH

*Walks out*

I remember when i was watching someone on twitch playing the game pre released. while in the same time reading a neogaf thread about it, it was good entertainment for me.

The saddest part of this...

We've lost that precise moment when everybody knew just how this was going to turn out. The gif/video heard around the fandom.

You mean this?

haha, yeah. that was good.

Never fear, us at Retro got most of the reactions in our general topic.

*Walks in*

I still like this game and wasn't disappointed at all TBH

*Walks out*

You my friend are easy to please which is a mixture of a good and bad thing.

You mean this?

No I meant the one blue blood posted.

I just remember the rumours on twitter from two people that they had the game, then they posted video, the first one was full of screen teering issues and some really odd things, but it wasn't anything conclusive, then the 2nd video came and Sonic fell through the floor... and everybody knew.

You mean this?

haha, yeah. that was good.

Never fear, us at Retro got most of the reactions in our general topic.

You my friend are easy to please which is a mixture of a good and bad thing.

Nah brah, this and 06 are the only games considered bad that I actually like.

okay maybe I'm a little easy to please

Nah brah, this and 06 are the only games considered bad that I actually like.

okay maybe I'm a little easy to please

You are, and while its good to have that aspect sometimes it can't 100% dominate what you consider good and bad, you have got to set some standards for yourself.

were not bitchy fucks because lolsanicfanz we are what we are because we have set standards to this series (though some set them too high) and we just want to see them forfilled.

This mess of a game? no, it didn't set anyones standard of good this is universally bad. it can be liked but it can't pass as a "good game" and certainly not a "Good SONIC game", its a sub-par to okay game at best and the worst sonic game to date.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I'm kind of glad a lot of my posts got wiped. I was so full of optimism...

This project... just goodness. So much potential, and then it just collapsed in on itself like a neutron star.

Sure, a lot of it can be blamed on SEGA rushing the devs since it looks like this clearly wasn't meant for the Wii U only for that guillotine to get dropped on them, but it goes beyond that.

What's up with the music, for example? Beyond one or two tracks, I really don't care for it. Even with all the people saying Lost World's was forgettable, I still found quite a few I enjoyed. This was... very meh, like goodness. Usually the final boss theme is a treat in Sonic games and it was just... no.

It was a good idea but it was ultimately plagued by all sorts of issues from the start. Corporate deals, completely different creative takes (while it certainly is good Sonic Team reined in some aspects of creativity, one has to ponder if they did so too much), the works.

Mostly I just ponder the feasibility of a sequel. Sure, this game tanked, but a subpar product on a low install base competing with countless good titles around the holidays is bound to do so. There's still the fact this exists as a cash in first and foremost, so another garbage cashin released in one or two years due to the show's popularity isn't entirely off the table.

I'd rather it not happen if they're not going to actually make a quality product, though. Cash-ins should hold sole importance in marketing, not design; you can still design a good game and then use another product's popularity to market it. It doesn't mean you shouldn't put in any effort at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the end of the day, it was just a game for young audience. it totally remind me of these kids games where its just unfinished. its what Sonic Boom is actually too so. probably wait until Next Sonic Team Title.

The probability of a sequel happening is zero percent. That's my guess. 

The bigger question (I think) is what exactly happened to Big Red Button after many people started leaving after the button was pressed.

That was bad and you should feel bad.

It really all depends on the profitability of a prospect. A multi-platform game backed with advertising slots during each episode's break could probably turn enough of a decent profit.

It would probably be low budget as all hell, though. It's sad most cash-ins abandon any attempt at quality.

The bigger question (I think) is what exactly happened to Big Red Button after many people started leaving after the button was pressed.

Definitely a zero when it comes to this type of platformer.

It's using a style that most developers have been avoiding. It  is my favourite style of platformer but due to it being my favourite style I already know it's an almost dead style also.

Gamers these days hate this style. Sonic Boom ROL is not the first time I've seen this particular style bashed and probably won't be the last.

I maybe on a different plane of opinion probably because I bought this because of the style and not because sonic was on the cover.

It's unfinished but I find it very enjoyable still. I personally just enjoy collecting robot parts, items for character requests like the nurse and rings.

I felt that the game needed more unlockables and some more puzzles. They shouldn't be afraid to put a few challenging puzzles in. Kids need a good challenge just like everyone else.

Though for what it has I do enjoy it. Luckily my copy doesn't glitch up when I play through for some reason. Though I admit I haven't tried to force a glitch out and personally prefer not too.

As for another style of game or platformer for boom. It's possible they could try something else if they feel it's worth it.