Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

BrroBXlCAAAzcMN.jpg

Fireworks!

Wow, I love that artwork. happy.png It looks like it's from the TV show.

Regarding the over-whelmingly negative previews, it's kind of frustrates me how Stephen Frost isn't here to address alot of these issues and complaints. He just kinda stopped posting here ever since the E3 show and went into hiding, I think. I still care about the game and want it to do well but I don't think they should release it in 4 months. If they really want Boom to successed then they should give the game a lot more time and fix these problems. Otherwise the game is going to end up being a huge flop and the critics has another Sonic game to make fun of. Sonic 06 came out almost a decade ago and they still refuse to move on and let it go.

It would be a shame if the Wii U version ended up flopping. Thankfully, the 3DS version is getting tons of great impressions. Sure it's not open world and is restricted to 2D but it looks like a ton of fun.

I'm hoping they can keep improving the Wii U version and fix some of the complaints. It would suck for Red Button's new game to fall flat. I know I'm super optimistic about this game but that's usually how I am with new Sonic games. Even if it does end up being unfavorable, I'll still buy it Day 1. I want to try it out for myself.

• Thumbs Up 5

I seriously want BRB to release a demo for Rise of Lyric so we can decide for ourselves whether the previews are right. We may say it LOOKS bad, but does it also PLAY bad? According to the previews, yes it does! But I still want to play it for myself and see if these opinions hold true.

I don't want them to stall the demo though like SEGA did with SLW. To this day, I still wonder if that was intentional or not. >__>

• Thumbs Up 3

If Sonic Boom flops, it'll tell SEGA that the drastic change was a bad idea. I mean yes there's been changes in the past e.g Generations to Lost World, but nothing this drastic. If this flops, I'd imagine they're unlikely to veer so far off the path of normal Sonic games for a loooong time.

Regardless... I'll still be buying Boom Wii U. Just to see if I was correct in my earlier thoughts.

I honestly don't think the game will flop. You could argue critically, but sales wise? As someone pointed out, this is going to sell to kids and fans of the show/toys. People like us are just "icing on the cake".

If anything, I could see a sequel happening where they try fixing a ton of the issues had with the first one.

• Thumbs Up 5

Jeez...all this doom and gloom about Boom from these impressions.

I hope Sega releases some new info soon because any new impressions I hear about Rise of Lyric seem to get more depressing as the days go by.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the game does turn out to be bad, I'm just hopeful that critics will just chalk it off as a TV show tie in game and forget about it when the next Sonic game is announced. We don't want another Sonic 06 situation where it's the center of every reason why they think that Sonic should just die (only later to contradict themselves).

So, that means we should think of 3ds version as show tie-in game too? Even, if you just said that the 3ds version looks better? Nope, it deserves it if its a bad game. Still buying the game if it has a good story.

I'm going to pretend that none of these posts after The Deleter's music post exist for a second to say this:

You mean like Kingdom Hearts? Where the music changes, but they kind of flow into each other whenever you enter or exit a battle? That'd be really cool. I don't think Sonic's tried that before.

So, that means we should think of 3ds version as show tie-in game too? Even, if you just said that the 3ds version looks better? Nope, it deserves it if its a bad game. Still buying the game if it has a good story.

I wasn't saying that I consider it a tie in game. I was just saying that if it turns out to be bad I hope the critics just forget about it when the next Sonic game is revealed. The 3DS version will be forgotten anyway, since they are really pushing the Wii U game and seeing as that's the big thing, critics will be paying more attention to that. Even if Shattered Crystal is good, it won't be able to undo the stink that Rise Of Lyric could potentially cause. And this is coming from someone who really likes the 3DS version.

It seems we missed a video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bboh78kSWfo

Nothing new, just nice to see semi clear images of them all.

Wow, if there were only a couple of negative impressions I wouldn't be too worried, but this game's demo is really getting panned by pretty much anyone who plays it. That has me worried a bit... It'd actually be kind of odd if this ended up being a complete opposite of Lost World. The previews for that were almost entirely positive, then the game was released and and got incredibly mixed reviews. It'd be weird if when the full game released, it ended up with decent reviews despite the overwhelmingly negative reception the incomplete demo is currently getting. Highly unlikely to happen, but it would be kind of ironic. I really hope BRB is just holding out on us and hasn't shown us the best bits yet... If they have, well there's always Shattered Crystal and the TV series to look forward to I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, if there were only a couple of negative impressions I wouldn't be too worried, but this game's demo is really getting panned by pretty much anyone who plays it. That has me worried a bit... It'd actually be kind of odd if this ended up being a complete opposite of Lost World. The previews for that were almost entirely positive, then the game was released and and got incredibly mixed reviews. It'd be weird if when the full game released, it ended up with decent reviews despite the overwhelmingly negative reception the incomplete demo is currently getting. Highly unlikely to happen, but it would be kind of ironic. I really hope BRB is just holding out on us and hasn't shown us the best bits yet... If they have, well there's always Shattered Crystal and the TV series to look forward to I suppose.

That's what I am really hoping for, but at the same time I want to keep my expectations low just in case. It would be nice if the game turned out to be good, but I'm not holding my breath.

At this point I'd just be mostly sad if Rise of Lyric fails and Shattered Crystal doesn't. That would result in Boom becoming exclusive to 3DS in the future and quite frankly I don't want to get ANOTHER system to play on. I mean, normally I just read up on plot points on Wikipedia for handheld titles, but I'd really feel like I was missing out.

I'm really hopeful the game will be well-constructed in the end, but SEGA and BRB made poor choices for the demo reels. As we all know, SEGA's marketing usually isn't that great, so that gives me more reason to be optimistic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Games don't become exclusive to systems based on quality, they are released based on sales. Despite Sonic 06 being a disaster for SEGA critically, SEGA continued to put Sonic games on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I really wouldn't worry about the series becoming exclusive to 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point I'd just be mostly sad if Rise of Lyric fails and Shattered Crystal doesn't. That would result in Boom becoming exclusive to 3DS in the future and quite frankly I don't want to get ANOTHER system to play on. I mean, normally I just read up on plot points on Wikipedia for handheld titles, but I'd really feel like I was missing out.

I'm really hopeful the game will be well-constructed in the end, but SEGA and BRB made poor choices for the demo reels. As we all know, SEGA's marketing usually isn't that great, so that gives me more reason to be optimistic.

Sega isn't going to abandon a platform because one sonic game doesn't do well on it worrying over that would just be silly. That said I wont be surprised if the WiiU doesn't get many more sonic game since the deal is over but who know what will happen.

Games don't become exclusive to systems based on quality, they are released based on sales. 

He thinks sonic boom is going to have bad sales. Because sales are based on quality.

It's unlikely that Boom would remain exclusive to just Nintendo platforms even if it was a roaring success. We'll more than likely see the RoL sequel on all major platforms.

It's unlikely that Boom would remain exclusive to just Nintendo platforms even if it was a roaring success. We'll more than likely see the RoL sequel on all major platforms.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom - despite the negativity surrounding it - manages to out-sell SLW on both the Wii U & 3ds. Now SEGA have said Boom is supposed to be targeted at a younger/newer audience, right? I would imagine a large chunk of the 3ds & Wii U userbase is a much younger audience. So to me it would make sense for SEGA to keep releasing future Boom installments - keeping them exclusive - on Nintendo consoles. It's also saved SEGA money in terms of game development and marketing by releasing SLW, Rise of Lyric and M&S on Nintendo consoles. So it seems like a no-brainer for all future Boom games to remain exclusive to Nintendo consoles and have the SEGASonic games developed for multi-platforms, PS4, PC and Xbox1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Games don't become exclusive to systems based on quality, they are released based on sales. Despite Sonic 06 being a disaster for SEGA critically, SEGA continued to put Sonic games on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

I really wouldn't worry about the series becoming exclusive to 3DS.

But how do we know this version will even sell well?

It sounds like fans and critics alike are overwhelmingly deeming Rise of Lyric to be meh and won't buy it except if it's used. That's going to turn away casual buyers, which leaves the fans of the cartoon as this version's saving grace.

He thinks sonic boom is going to have bad sales. Because sales are based on quality.

That's not what I'm thinking, though.

Sales tend to be influenced by critics, and critics seem to have overwhelmingly made up their minds. There goes the preorders. Then you have lots of fans saying they won't be buying it either, and Sonic fans buying up everything with Sonic's face on it is one of the series' strongest cards. So if even they are turning away in droves, you know things are bad.

That leaves the younger audiences this is designed to attract. The prospects just look rather grim overall.

Also, I never said Sonic as a whole would stop being on the Wii U. Just Sonic Boom.

Just to point out, Ghostly Adventures sold pretty badly despite also being linked to a TV Show and merchandise, and that was multiplatform in the traditional sense. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Boom - despite the negativity surrounding it - manages to out-sell SLW on both the Wii U & 3ds. Now SEGA have said Boom is supposed to be targeted at a younger/newer audience, right? I would imagine a large chunk of the 3ds & Wii U userbase is a much younger audience. So to me it would make sense for SEGA to keep releasing future Boom installments - keeping them exclusive - on Nintendo consoles. It's also saved SEGA money in terms of game development and marketing by releasing SLW, Rise of Lyric and M&S on Nintendo consoles. So it seems like a no-brainer for all future Boom games to remain exclusive to Nintendo consoles and have the SEGASonic games developed for multi-platforms, PS4, PC and Xbox1. 

Sonic games usually sell better on nintendo consoles in general and they are always for younger audiences. The cost of porting is less than the cost of making an entirely new game so it would take little to make a profit. So staying on nintendo may just end up making them miss out on money. Sure it may not make as money as I does  on WiiU but they arent going to just throw it away.

Yeah but that's because nobody gives a shit about Pacman.

Or, y'know, add something to the topic.

Just to point out, Ghostly Adventures sold pretty badly despite also being linked to a TV Show and merchandise, and that was multiplatform in the traditional sense. 

But wasn't the TV show also bad? From what we've seen, Boom's TV show looks pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or, y'know, add something to the topic.

But wasn't the TV show also bad? From what we've seen, Boom's TV show looks pretty good.

Apparently, the cartoon was such a success on Disney XD that there will be a 2nd season and a sequel to the game. If Pac-Man can do it, I'm pretty sure Sonic Boom can. As for how bad the cartoon is, it's your typical cartoon for little kids, nothing else. 

Yeah but that's because nobody gives a shit about Pacman.

True, it's not like he's recognised enough to make it in as one of few third party entries in Smash Brothers.

Nobody gives a shit about Pac Man at all, no sir.  (:I

Now when the hell are you going to quit with these blanket statements? "Nobody likes change," "Nobody's paying attention to the positive previews," "nobody likes Pac Man." You aren't everybody mate.

Anyway.

I watched Ghostly Adventures a while back. I personally thought it was a load of bollocks, but at the same time I can see why it's likely appealing to kids. 

...hell, the thing's picked up a following on Tumblr, but granted by this point I think there's a kitchen tables 'fandom' so take that as you will. 

So I've been doing some digging for other E3 impressions of these kind of games, and nearly every single site I go to, they just didn't find the gameplay interesting enough to preview it altogether, or were more interested in the story and other factors like graphics and animations than anything. For example, these are the few previews I found for such types of games.

http://www.gamesradar.com/e3-2011-sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-preview/

http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/61631/ratchet-clank-future-a-crack-in-time/articles/68383/ratchet-clank-future-a-crack-in-time-hands-on-impressions/

Yet when you look at Sonic, he's getting plenty of previews, all of which are focused on the gameplay.

I think the only reason everyone is actually reviewing this game at E3 is because it has Sonic in the title. They're going in expecting fast paced gameplay like always, but come away always disappointed. Pretty much the only people to give it a glowing review was Gamespot, who were one of the few who covered Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time and thought it would be a great game, despite only playing two levels, one of which was this: (skip to 5:20)

(Seriously, if you think Boom has bland gameplay for a demo, watch this. Then for reference, actually download the demo of it and see how fun it is in person.)

On that point, is it even possible to put a slow-paced game in E3 and have people come away impressed with it in all the rush that is E3? Especially when they have nothing to go on previously to guarantee the enjoyment of the title?

• Thumbs Up 2