Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

What drama?

The only drama I've seen is people still thinking that any sort of "negativity" is completely unwarranted because heaven forbid we hurt Frost's or anyone who's worked on the game lil' feelings when that is a complete disrespect to their ability to handle constructive criticism.

• Thumbs Up 3

What drama?

The only drama I've seen is people still thinking that any sort of "negativity" is completely unwarranted because heaven forbid we hurt Frost's or anyone who's worked on the game lil' feelings when that is a complete disrespect to their ability to handle constructive criticism.

And... Why?! Why?! Who says we thought it was unwarranted....

Back onto dat gameplay though! I really wanna see what chest give you seeing as it probably won't just be scrap metal, ha, that'd be backwards. By upgrades I wonder what they will be- like SA1 or SA2 where it upgrades your move set? Or like SA titles and other rpg type titles where it upgrades your skills and your move set? And water running ooooooh. I also hope that homing chains aren't just those orbs- while homing chains aren't the best I hope there might be some actual enemies you home in on instead of just light beacons. 

I think it's for the best that we go back on topic now. I don't understand what's going on, I'm kind of confused.

Anyway, I was wondering, will this game get an OST release? If the music does end up being good (I like the main theme/speed level music), then a proper soundtrack release would be nice.

Edit: Also guys frostman's here please don't drive him away

I think it's safe to say that we're not doing this just for the sake of being mean towards anyone. Really, we all want to have something to be excited for in this game--that people currently aren't finding much to be excited for doesn't change this simple fact.

I think it's for the best that we go back on topic now. I don't understand what's going on, I'm kind of confused.

Anyway, I was wondering, will this game get an OST release? If the music does end up being good (I like the main theme/speed level music), then a proper soundtrack release would be nice.

Considering all of the previous major Sonic games have gotten OST's, I'm almost certain that this game will get one, too. Maybe with it being a Western-developed title, this inevitable physical release will even actually be available for us Westerns to purchase without importing...

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm just wondering when or if we'll get an artbook.

I believe Stephen said something about that being in the game as unlockable content. But he's unsure about whether we'll be able to see conceptual designs of the characters. I hope we do, it'll be interesting to see.

What drama?

It wasn't even about frost until I brought it up. I'm talking about the discussion that took place over the previous pages.

Back onto the game, though...

Sonic_Boom_Sonic_Running_on_Water.png

Seeing as how there's a ramp to the side of Sonic in this screenshot, and there was another one that was perpendicular to Sonic's path in the trailer, this stage gives me the feeling it will be an open level. Perhaps due to the amount of ramps it contains, it's Sonic's version of the usual ND and Insomniac racing stages?

Also that crashed blimp in the background is cool as all getout.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, I really don't want to this to go any further.

You still like how the game's shaping up, fine. That's great. But don't pretend like everything less-than-positive impression as some mean way to belittle your enthusiasm. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really care about Boom since I never planned on getting it nor a Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, I really don't want to this to go any further.

Okay then? I'm not pressing you.

I can be and am appreciative of Mr. Frost's passion for his work as well as his interaction with the community. That said, I don't think that has anything at all to do with my opinion of the actual quality of the game.

I'm tired of seeing "I feel so bad for Frost" and "be polite to Mr. Frost" everywhere. He's a grown fucking man who can handle criticism from a bunch of teenagers on the internet, and I would hope he and the rest of BRB are proud enough of Boom that some constructive criticism won't hurt their feelings.

That's all I have to say about that.

For the last time - I wasn't talking about opinions. I was talking about general drama.

Y'know the

"This game is made for kids, but it's okay to li-"

"You said it was only made for kids?! Come on."

"No I didn't.."

"Yes you did!.."

"No I didn't!"

"Yes you di-"

"NO I DIDN-"

"YES YOU DI-"

That was going on for a page or so?

Oh my living ankle joints-- (wuusaw wuusaw)

Okay, so yeah, earlier when I posted the picture that Deleter posted, I also wondered about the broken up blimp which I at first thought was an airplane or something- but this racing level stuff intrigues me. Do all Action-Adventure Naughty Dog games have this sort of thing? And if so and this is indeed that, I'm glad they kept Sonic on foot. This scene looks amazing to me and I wonder which characters will be available for this certain stage.

I've spent the last couple of weeks noticing all this bickering over people becoming severely defensive over this game. For the life of me, I can't understand why. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with your tastes and what you want out of it, but half of the time, it's like everyone is at each other's throats.

I do feel somewhat bad for Stephen Frost, but when your job is hyping up a game several people aren't going to particularly like, part of that comes with having to accept certain criticisms. Hey, it happens, and people tend to find that it doesn't appeal to them, and has legitimate flaws. Big whoop, it's something you have to deal with and accept constructive criticism. Not everyone is going to like your product, that's to be expected.

Then again, there's lots of heated arguments going around, so I would presume Mr. Frost would like to wait for it to cool down before ever possibly posting here again. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt on that, and assuming that a man of his stature that is supposed to keep his cool among st the negativity can at least handle people being so negative, and for good reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I wonder why the blimp is demolished and how it got there? I wonder if by ancient do they mean ancient because it was abandoned and such or else-wise? I can't wait to use Tails' glide no joke seeing as how you can probably do some really cool things with it.

I do feel somewhat bad for Stephen Frost, but when your job is hyping up a game several people aren't going to particularly like, part of that comes with having to accept certain criticisms. Hey, it happens, and people tend to find that it doesn't appeal to them, and has legitimate flaws. Big whoop, it's something you have to deal with and accept constructive criticism. Not everyone is going to like your product, that's to be expected.

>:[

*points to above posts*

Oh my living ankle joints-- (wuusaw wuusaw)

Okay, so yeah, earlier when I posted the picture that Deleter posted, I also wondered about the broken up blimp which I at first thought was an airplane or something- but this racing level stuff intrigues me. Do all Action-Adventure Naughty Dog games have this sort of thing? And if so and this is indeed that, I'm glad they kept Sonic on foot. This scene looks amazing to me and I wonder which characters will be available for this certain stage.

All of the early R&C games had them in some form, and I presume the same applies to Jak, due to the increasing influence of vehicles in the series, and the eventual pure racing game made for it.

They range from hoverboarding, hovercycling, cars, and even star wars-esque flying pods. (which is hands down the best vehicle style in the whole series, btw) I would presume Sonic would be a mix between the flying pods, due to his speed, and the hoverboards, due to his trickster nature when in the air.

I have no idea what he'd be racing against, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

>:[

*points to above posts*

Erm....

I did kinda go out of my way to address why he would want to avoid this place because of the drama going on with everyone, which I can sympathize with in that regard. Gee, not sure how you missed that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erm....

I did kinda go out of my way to address why he would want to avoid this place because of the drama going on with everyone, which I can sympathize with in that regard. Gee, not sure how you missed that.

Well I assumed that you only made that comment due to what I had posted. My bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I assumed that you only made that comment due to what I had posted. My bad.

Nah, it was more of my general two cents on the matter going on here. No harm done, I'm just a little shocked at how this game is being totally blown out of proportion, as to how some of these posts are coming off as seriously objective when the game hasn't hit yet, on both sides of the spectrum. 

Granted I'm finding the negativity reasonable, with the over whelming amount of negative hands-on impressions and such, but it's just a tad bit early to make a full-on verdict over it.

New user popping in to say hello. I've been lurking on the forums for a while and decided to drop in for a while.

I have to say I think I'm just going to wait and see what happens with this game. I'm sure I'll like it, considering I absolutely adore the original Jak and Daxter triology, which is what this game is reminding me of. It also seems like it would make a fun multiplayer experience, so I'm looking forward to that aspect of it as well. The story and characterization are, oddly enough, looking to be two of the stronger points of this game, at least in my eyes. I like the idea of Sonic being this sort of loner character that warms up to his team and learns how to work with them better. Nice opportunities for some character development there.

However, I can definitely see where a lot of people are coming from with the concern about the emphasis on combat and such. Not exactly what I think of when I hear about the Sonic franchise, but I'll be happy to give it another shot, even after Unleashed. I do feel like Frost and his team dropped the ball a bit on the E3 showing though... I mean, I get wanting to demonstrate that it's not a typical Sonic style game, but I really feel like they should have put in some of the stronger parts of the game that Frost has been talking about on this forum in the past: some of the more "Sonicky" elements, if you will. Again, I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Hopefully the game succeeds, like we all want it to, but at this point we just aren't really sure :/

I'm just wondering when or if we'll get an artbook.

Also this! I would love an artbook for this game. Even if the games suck terribly, I always love the concept art <3

Quoted the wrong post, oops.

Edited by Citizen Sweeps
  • Thumbs Up 2

One complaint I have (only real complaint so far) is that the effects for destroying enemies or shockwaves or whatever seem... Generic, I guess. Like in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (I think?), the way the effects are made out seem very out of place. Like strange paper flying around. I'm doing a horrible job at explaining this, but compared to other Sonic games, the effects for destroying enemies is a bit cheap/generic. Other than that I like what I see (even the combat, I like that kind of gameplay). And I guess that's more of a nitpick than a complaint.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe he's racing metal sonic? Maybe. I don't know but Sonic Riders-esque tricks on a hoverboard would be awesome.

So I wonder why the blimp is demolished and how it got there? I wonder if by ancient do they mean ancient because it was abandoned and such or else-wise? I can't wait to use Tails' glide no joke seeing as how you can probably do some really cool things with it.

I have an idea. What if the blimp was Eggman's? In the cutscene for the underwater factory (it is underwater, isn't it?), Amy tells Knuckles and Tails to stay where they are in case the village is attacked again. I bet Eggman was using the blimp to try to attack the village earlier in the game, and the heroes had to infiltrate the blimp to stop him. After wrecking the blimp from the inside, Eggman escapes (as well as Team Sonic) and it crashes near the lake. Upon learning the location of the next Crystal, Sonic does his water running thing (either to solve a puzzle to get the team into the factory, or to get a boat from an area unreachable to the others, pick them up and ride to the factory), they enter the factory, the cutscene takes place, and Sonic and Amy go to get the Crystal.

Nah, it was more of my general two cents on the matter going on here. No harm done, I'm just a little shocked at how this game is being totally blown out of proportion, as to how some of these posts are coming off as seriously objective when the game hasn't hit yet, on both sides of the spectrum. 

Granted I'm finding the negativity reasonable, with the over whelming amount of negative hands-on impressions and such, but it's just a tad bit early to make a full-on verdict over it.

Okay then. Personally, while I am remaining optimistic about how it will turn out, I'm still trying to be reasonably objective about it. While the combat is definitely not bad from my point of view, I can see how it's less impressive than other styles. So until I get my hands on it, I'm going to say it's just okay combat, not terrible or great, just okay. It does it's job well enough. That's pretty much my entire stance on everything shown so far, so while I'm expecting something good/great to come out of the final package, I'm perfectly fine with people saying it's nothing all that special.

Honestly, though, I don't find all the negativity reasonable when those impressions are posted. To say that the game won't do well with the critics is one thing, but seeing it as another excuse to repeat your opinions over and over again comes across as spam to me, be it positive or negative. I don't like it when people follow the impressions of the critics and make it their opinion as well, either. Judging the facts of what an impressionist stated is one thing, but to hear "I didn't like this" and then say "well I guess I won't like it either" is just... weak willed judgement, imo.

Other than that, though, I'm perfectly fine with people discussing how it's going down with critics.

Maybe he's racing metal sonic? Maybe. I don't know but Sonic Riders-esque tricks on a hoverboard would be awesome.

That could be a possibility. Perhaps you race him when you meet him in the hub, like how the NPCs in the ND and Insomniac games worked.

Though I don't think Sonic would be the one on the hoverboard, as he's running on his own in that screenshot. The other characters might be playable, though, and might need vehicles of some sort, so who knows?

• Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't sure at first because originally the game wasn't coming out in Japan, but seeing as it is now then hopefully there will be an OST and we can buy it normally in shops instead of having to import it like most Sonic OST's.

Let's hope the album cover art is better than SLW too.