Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

People keep seeming to mention the gameplay is monotonous and boring. While this may the case, these stages are meant to slow as they are adventure stages.

That's the problem, yes. They created gameplay and level designs that don't match the character/series' nature.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I really do feel sorry for Frost though. He doesn't deserve all this as I know he and his team worked hard on this game. If it turns out very bad, SEGA would not probably hire BigRedButton anymore which is a total shame. I'm worried about that. I love LEGO games, so I wouldn't have a problem playing this sort of game---unless, it's worse than the LEGO games...

Well, game development is a tough business and, from what I understand, a very thankless job if the game isn't met to people's standards. I read some interviews and developers were like, "Seeing people on websites bashing the games we make, saying they suck, it's very heartbreaking." Or something like that.

Must be hard with PR guys, too, since they're a face and not just, "Those guys at that game company."

So far the Enerbeam seems like a really, really uninspired mechanic. And thinking about it, such a tool could be really brilliant in a normal Sonic game if you could use it speed. Right now all it does in Boom is things that the characters should be able to do otherwise. They can swing from it like it's a vine seen in numerous Sonic games, or use it like one of those ziplines also seen in numerous Sonic games. At the height of creativity they can use it to pull switches... Not feeling it, BRB.

At the height of creativity they can use it to pull switches

Which they did in Sonic Heroes, and Unleashed if you want to count the Werehog.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's all immense sarcasm because there's nothing creative about using a rope to pull a switch or lever that's like right in front of you.

The Enerbeam is too situational, as are all of the characters other abilities. Use it where the game tells you to to perform this specific two that cannot be overcome any other way, rinse and repeat.

Yeah I actually think a grappling hook could be a really interesting addition to Sonic gameplay. It could be physics-based similar to the slope physics.

But this isn't actually Sonic gameplay and they aren't doing anything interesting with the grapple.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's all immense sarcasm because there's nothing creative about using a rope to pull a switch or lever that's like right in front of you.

The Enerbeam is too situational, as are all of the characters other abilities. Use it where the game tells you to to perform this specific two that cannot be overcome any other way, rinse and repeat.

To be a bit fairer on this game, abilities like Tails & Knuckles` kind of need to be situational/limited because they are potentially game breaking due to the amount freedom it gives you. Sonic & Amy have no excuse however, because there's no reason why we can't spin or hammer things whenever we feel like.

But yea, while it is a shame that this game looks really uninspired, its honestly BRB's own fault for ya know...not trying to make this an appealing game that Sonic fans might have been interested in. That might be justified in how they're trying to aim for a new demographic and not really focus on the core gaming crowd, but rather the casual crowd that won't really care about all of the details we've gone over in this topic. But still...can't the fans be pleased for a chang, can we get a bone thrown our way once in a while? Must Boom be one of those types of that series where developers only aim for the lowest common denominator for a sale.

I firmly believe RoL is something only the young and casual crowd will like and eat up, and since it's on Wii U, that's where most of it's sales will come from. It's just kind of sad that long time Sonic fans don't really have anything to latch onto this game to get excited, at least to me anyway. :\

This sounded a little more cynical than intended, but seeing how Boom is such a large marketing push, seeing the first big game for it to poorly is just really really sad honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah well, even if Rise of Lyric fails there's always Shattered Crystal, though the previews for that one have been mostly mixed.

Otherwise, ignore the games (like what I'm sort of doing) and just enjoy the cartoon since that seems to be the best thing about Sonic Boom right now! In fact I can't wait for Comic Con this month, so we can hear more about the cartoon and maybe see some previews and voice cast interviews.

So done, let the negativity flow then. Damn.

So I really can't wait to see what other levels that are in store for the rest of the game and see what different tropes they'll be using. Also I wonder how many level gimmicks there will be I noticed the S-tube like things in the pit makes me wonder what else is in there.

Edit: Also, cut it with the long time Sonic fans talk as if only newbies are interested. I see some of you put "me" in your proclaims about this but seriously am I not a long time Sonic Fan because I DO like this game? That's sucky and very... I don't even know the word. Like. Please. I'm a long time fan of the series but feel this DOES cater to me and have something I'm looking forward to- so please stop the generalization and grouping of tiers of fans...

• Thumbs Up 1

Like. Please. I'm a long time fan of the series but feel this DOES cater to me and have something I'm looking forward to- so please stop the generalization and grouping of tiers of fans...

You can't blame them, especially when Sega have all but stated that this game isn't for Long Term Fans.

• Thumbs Up 9

Edit: Also, cut it with the long time Sonic fans talk as if only newbies are interested. I see some of you put "me" in your proclaims about this but seriously am I not a long time Sonic Fan because I DO like this game? That's sucky and very... I don't even know the word. Like. Please. I'm a long time fan of the series but feel this DOES cater to me and have something I'm looking forward to- so please stop the generalization and grouping of tiers of fans...

Well... No.

Time and time again it's been said that this game isn't designed for exciting Sonic fans, least of all the older ones. It's a totally fair generalisation (and generalising is something that you have to do lest you wish to explain every possible facet all the time) and you yourself are even acknowledging it as such. I don't believe anyone has even for a moment implied that can't both like this game and be an existing fan. What sense does that make? Absolutely none. However the simple fact remains that as someone who has been a fan of the series for a long time (and assuming you're over the of 12 since you don't have your age on your profile) then the game is not designed for you. It's content is not supposed to cater to what people expect in a Sonic game, but rather to a very different, much younger and less discerning crowd. If you like it, then great! You've got another game to enjoy. But really you should understand and accept that the generalisation that this game isn't meant to appeal to long term or older fans is a fact, though that doesn't mean it absolutely to absolutely everyone. It just clearly applies to the majority.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fine it's fact, I get it, I don't care anymore. As you said, I like it, then great!

I'm 19 by the way, so you know.

It was also mentioned that it's not exactly trying to cater to the normal fans but would still have things we would enjoy so... meh... meh...

Okay one question though- why does everyone keep telling us that it's not supposed to? We really would rather not see that every time we enter the topic. That's probably my last question on this debate. The smoke settled but there was still three or so replies to this topic that throws in my face- "this isn't meant for older fans" which as you just explained makes sense... but why did that have to be brought up again and again? That's my last question and then I'll be done..

I think a lot of people are resentful that it's not made for them. When Sonic Boom was announced with its first trailer, we saw all these awesome things like multiple playable characters and more open worlds. Then, over time we see just how different from the usual Sonic experience it is, and people realize the game really isn't made for them, but a whole new (younger) audience. Some people also haven't been satisfied with the last few Sonic games in the series, so to see such an initially promising looking (or at least somewhat interesting looking) game turn out to literally be not made for them at all.... Well, I can understand why a lot of people are unhappy about this and keep bringing it up.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay one question though- why does everyone keep telling us that it's not supposed to? We really would rather not see that every time we enter the topic. That's probably my last question on this debate. The smoke settled but there was still three or so replies to this topic that throws in my face- "this isn't meant for older fans" which as you just explained makes sense... but why did that have to be brought up again and again? That's my last question and then I'll be done..

Show me cases where the developers go "yeah you know what fuck you fans this is not for you" and the end product was worth anyone's time.

I don't even mean it with an arrogance of "why aren't you listening to us". I mean in the sense of "when was specifically going out of their way to be different and run away from the established audience ever a good idea for anyone".

• Thumbs Up 2

I think a lot of people are resentful that it's not made for them. 

I think it has much more to do with the gameplay and the fact it feels like Sonic is being used in someone elses IP if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it has much more to do with the gameplay and the fact it feels like Sonic is being used in someone elses IP if you ask me.

I'd say it's kind of both, plus the fact it's just mediocre all-round. And the really annoying thing is I can't see any good reason for it to be so poor. It's got a great team, a big budget, a great graphics engine, a huge initiative and is meant to be a relaunch of one of gaming's biggest mascots. Why the hell does it suck so bad?

• Thumbs Up 4

I think a lot of people are resentful that it's not made for them. When Sonic Boom was announced with its first trailer, we saw all these awesome things like multiple playable characters and more open worlds. Then, over time we see just how different from the usual Sonic experience it is, and people realize the game really isn't made for them, but a whole new (younger) audience. Some people also haven't been satisfied with the last few Sonic games in the series, so to see such an initially promising looking (or at least somewhat interesting looking) game turn out to literally be not made for them at all.... Well, I can understand why a lot of people are unhappy about this and keep bringing it up.

I think the fact that the game looks poorly designed is a much bigger qualification for people's distaste.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guess I just don't know what poor design is then. It could have been different or better? Sure everything can but it being completely poor? I just don't see it. meh...

EDIT: Also, they didn't just say- eff us fans but merely are trying to do something different. I mean, lots of people say Sonic Team should do this, just eff all the fans and make something consistent- people seem to agree on that but BRB it's a whole case of they just threw us out the window. I see your point but still can't accept it is all (@KKM) it just doesn't feel that way to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well.  I know I said this in my last post.  But I am still hyped and excited about this game.  In fact if i am really honest with you, I really hope that Boom sell a lot of copies on both Wii U and 3DS despite the fact that the game might be that good.  Not because I don't want people to waste their money, but because I want to see BRB get a second chance if it does suck, that way they can learn from what they did wrong in Rise of Lyric and correct it in their next game.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've hardly ever been bothered by previews of Sonic games. To be fair, it's usually because I can't take them seriously enough.

But when there are this many negative previews for one game, it does beg the question of where things went wrong.

As others have stated, at the start we got this awesome trailer with many things that numerous fans expect or want from mainline Sonic. And while I'm remaining neutral on all this, since then it has gone downhill. There have been no upsides. No climbing back up.

Now, if something amazing was to come from this, it needs to be now. Within the next week. Wash away all the bad things we've seen... not that you could, unless the something you show was so spectacular. But even then, the shadow of what was still looms.

As I said, I'm remaining neutral on all this, so you won't get any strong opinions from me about the game itself. All I'm saying, is that the actual levels of the games need more fleshing out. In other words - not just random points in the levels themselves. The Guardian level shows the beginning, and there is a lot more to be shown of it. It felt as though a number of things was missing from it, as with The Pit. The speed level felt it needed more refinement. The boss fight with Eggman felt more spectacle than challenge.

All of that can just be corrected by showing them in a better light, and in full. Maybe add a few more things here and there within the levels.

The issue isn't even that there are really that many negative previews, it's that people aren't paying attention to the positive ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

The issue isn't even that there are really that many negative previews, it's that people aren't paying attention to the positive ones.

Yes and I asked earlier. Apart from SEGABits/Sonic Stadium's preview has there been any positive previews from a respectable site?

Hi, I'm new here BTW

After reading many pages, previews, and comments surrounding this game, I'm honestly not surprise at this backlash. It's a totally different experience from the main series. So it's expected that one of the biggest complaints about this game is "Sonic boom isn't a Sonic game" or " It's too slow". Personally, I think the game looks okay for what it is......I'm not seeing how it's the next 06. Then again, I grew up playing 3D action- adventure games, ( Ironically Jak and Daxter is one of my favorite games) so this stuff looks entertaining to me. As far as blandness goes, I have to admit it doesn't look new but it doesn't look bad. I can't comment on the full game because it's not out yet

• Thumbs Up 3