Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

My first Sonic spinoff material, huh…

Well, in contrast to most people here, the first non-game Sonic media that I wasn't AoStH, Sonic SatAM, or even the Sonic comics (thank goodness). Back in the day, I was always more of a Power Rangers fan and I didn't get cable until the late 90's, so even though I was familiar with Sonic, the shows weren't available for me. My parents weren't into comics at all, so no Sonic comics for me, either. All this means that my only real spinoff media for me was...

Sonicunderground_clipped_rev_1.png

... Yep, Sonic Underground. That show that couldn't be more divergent from typical Sonic if it tried. I saw it back in 2000 on a channel that I can't quite recall at the moment. At the time, I thought it was pretty cool. All of the characters were alright, even Sonia and her falsely feminine voice, and I liked that Robotnik was more sensible and successful with his villainy. His lackeys, Sleet and Dingo, kinda weirded me out at first, but they, too, eventually grew to me. What I liked most about the show was that, instead of Sonic being an only child, he not only had a parent, but also siblings. As a person who's the oldest of 4 siblings, it kinda appeals to me a bit.

Sonic-underground2.jpg

Yeah, in retrospect, it doesn't stand the test of time quite as well as either AoStH or even SatAM. My opinion of it has certainly taken a turn for the worse over time. However, for what it was, I had a decent time with it. I'm certainly glad that I was exposed to it first, versus the overdramatic echidna-centric nonsense that the Archie comics were smothered in at the time.

So, all in all, Sonic Underground... is kinda sorta average to me.
  • Thumbs Up 1

The very first non-game Sonic media I came across was Sonic X.

I was not invested that much when it aired in Italy, but every morning I sat in front of the TV just to hear the Daft Punk-ish opening:

And to a lesser extent, to hear Sonic's nasal voice:

I liked it dry.png

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

Like many people, my first exposure was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Now I can't remember whether I watched AoSTH before getting my Mega Drive since I was aware of Sonic before getting the console (wanted a Saturn back then though) but if it is true, then it is my first exposure of the hedgehog in general. Probably thought it was a cartoon first than a game rather than the other way around. It was on a channel called TCC in the mid 90s (our family was lucky to have satellite since the early 90s) and well being young meant that I watched a bunch of cartoons on various channels.

Due to failing memory, can't remember what episodes that I've watched on the channel and can only recall 1 SatAM episode before they got aired again but I remembered really enjoying the cartoon to the point where my mum bought me a VHS tape in a supermarket of two episodes "High Stakes Sonic" and "Sonic Breakout". Watched them over and over again, plus they are the earliest that I can remember. So yeah, AoSTH is what made me like Sonic and is quite a big fan of the show. Sure it was depending on episode poorly to decently animated, not every episode was enjoyable and some of the character designs aren't like the games but for me well it is a big thing. Even 16/17 years later, I can still watch the show problems and all. All the positive things about it that I really like have already been said previously in the thread.

Day 14: First NON-Game Sonic Media I Came Across:

Like so many others, my first exposure to Sonic outside of the video games was this cartoon right here:

7IJw5dH.jpg?1

I had already had quite an attachment to Sonic from the video games Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 and and my liking of Tails was INSTANT after him being introduced in Sonic 2. Anyway, it made my day to see these two in a cartoon some nearly 21 years ago. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvek6THWung

I could tell right there from AoStH's intro that I was in for a treat in watching this show as within that 60 seconds there I was already laughing and extremely excited for what was to happen next in the cartoon.

AoStH was very popular back in 1993 to where it was on twice a day-once in the morning and again in the afternoon. I have so many fond memories watching it initially as a 9 year old two times a day, and I laughed a ton while watching it. 

AoStH is one of my all-time favorite cartoons and second favorite Sonic cartoon next to SatAM...It was the cartoons that really got me into Sonic more than the games did. I thought all the main characters were well portrayed in AoStH; there wasn't a single character out of the main cast that I did not like. Although a bit obnoxious at times, Sonic was very entertaining with his cool attitude, memorable catchphrases, and endless disguises:

PqHkGNx.jpg?1

Seriously, how did they NOT know that was Sonic?!

Tails was absolutely adorable, along with being faithful to Sonic and very smart. Dr. Robotnik, as intelligent as he is, was downright hilarious. I was probably laughing at him more than any other character, especially when he said without fail in almost each episode: "I hate that hedgehog!" Coconuts was my favorite among the badniks, I really liked him and I wished that the appeared in the show more frequently than he did. Scratch and Grounder are an absolute riot being so absent-minded, and it was hilarious seeing them constantly bickering and seeing Sonic foil their plans time and time again. But most of all, I downright loved the bromance between Sonic and Tails throughout the show, antics included.

tsDaLzW.jpg?1

Out of all the moments the Adventures of Sonic contained, this moment was the most memorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRJohy5kN0Y

This scene was absolutely adorable! I love it! smile.png

AoStH was such a joy for me to watch as a kid and it is still enjoyable for me to watch as a 30-year-old some 20+ years later. happy.png

• Thumbs Up 7

I first knew about Sonic outside of the games with Sonic X and the DiC cartoons.

I saw X first, then I saw Underground and I was like "Robotnik? Doesn't this Manic person mean Eggman? WTH why does Eggman look completely different and why is he called Robotnik and who are these Chuck Jones rejects he's got instead of the robots?"

After hearing Eggman in X mention his "grandfather Robotnik", I subsequently thought that the cartoons were all sequential, going as Underground > SatAM > AOSTH > X.

(Fun Fact: I thought Scratch and Grounder were Sleet and Dingo after "Robotnik" finally roboticised the gits, thought Sonia and Manic were sucked into the portal of otherworldiness (Game Guy was the first SatAM ep I saw and it aired instead of Underground) and thought SatAM!Robotnik's voice better suited Bayformers!Megatron.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Whoops, missed a day. Oh well.

Day 14: What was the first non-game Sonic media you came across?

I believe some of these were my first contact with Sonic.

Mcagain.jpg

I distinctly remember the Cream and big ones, but the Sonic one was discolored, and depicted Sonic as being purple rather than blue. Due to his strange design, I just walked away from them saying, "That is one freaky looking sea urchin." I have no idea why I thought he was a sea urchin; though it could possibly have something to do with me playing Freddie Fish at the time.

I wouldn't fully come in contact with Sonic for another six years, though, so these were pretty much the only impressions I had on the series for a long time. Needless to say, the actual series was a lot different than what I expected it to be.

Day 14: Compl​ete

Chalk up another one for the AoStH crowd. Me and my sister used to watch the shit out of this when we were little. To this day, I still find it hilarious. I vastly preferred this to SatAM at the time. The slapstick humour and over-the-top crazy stuff made it an enjoyable experience to watch. Robotnik is just pure gold, and so are his two dumb-bots, Scratch and Grounder.

However, my young mind at the time didn't understand the concepts of different canons, which made me wonder why Eggman was named "Robotnik" and why his design was completely different from the games. Same goes for the voices. I just figured it was how Sonic and Tails sounded like when they were younger, plus the scene with Tails saying he's only "4 and a half years old" justified my thoughts even more.

My first non-game experience with Sonic is a sort of tie.

First of all, the Archie comics.

Archie_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Issue_84.jpg

This was the first Sonic comic I ever read, which somewhat spoiled a tiny bit of Sonic Adventure's plot for me. I saw it at a Kroger in mid-2000 and was immediately intrigued. Of course I'd played and owned a few of the games by that point, but I'd never seen a thing quite like this by then. I got this issue and the one after it, but I lost both.

I later got Sonic #86, and from there I didn't really collect them until about 2002 or so when the series started getting into the #110s. Kept collecting until about #200 or something like that.

---

Now, my second one was what everybody else has said.

tumblr_lyrfbzGEOG1qjhlhko1_500.jpg

This show made most of my childhood for several years there, and it's actually kind of funny how heavily it influenced a lot of fans to either get into Sonic or just enough to catch it when it was on. Definitely seems to be the most popular one of the DiC cartoons.

The show is absolutely awful when watching it now, but the writing is hilarious (either intentionally or unintentionally) and some of the horrid drawings mixed with how amazingly far they missed the mark in making an accurate Sonic show turns this into something really fun to watch when you need to laugh at something dumb. And well, the characters themselves are just plain fun, considering how sweet Sonic & Tails bond is as well as how funny both the Scratch and Grounder duo AND Robotnik are.

But yeah, that's them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

621px-Sonic_X_logo.svg.png

This piece of badly animated mess that I watched on a weekly basis as a child.

What probably must've drawn me in was that it was a cartoon based on a video game. As you would imagine, as a naive and easily excitable child, my reaction mostly consisted of, "Oh My GOSH, It's A Show About That Video Game I Like!!!" , so it hooked me in just for that alone.

While the anime has it's charm, it is definitely not one I return to often, and when I do, it's mostly to laugh at how bad some the animation or scenes are.

Oh, and also Chris Thorndyke is a terrible character and should be promptly erased from existnace, yadda, yadda, yadda...

DAY 14: FIRST NON-GAME SONIC MEDIA

showposter.jpg?v=51768761showposter.jpg?v=52b9988d

The earliest ones I just so happened to come across were both Sonic Underground and Sonic X sometime later. I was born in the middle of the 90s, so I never could have gotten the chance to see the other shows. (During that time, that is. Thank God for YouTube.)

But these two eventually both had pulled me into the Sonic franchise even more. Though Underground would be considered the more controversial of the three Western cartoons, and X is probably the reason the fanbase is as large and as divided as it is today, but both shows were entertaining enough for me to enjoy. 

Underground had a nice concept behind it, giving Sonic family members and all. And for the most part it seemed to follow the same type of structure SatAM did, with the world in ruins and all. This was also the first cartoon to finally have Knuckles involved. And personally, I didn't mind the singing, but I feel that this show would probably do much better without it. But at the same time, that's what sets the show in a different light from all of the others. I give it props for doing something different.

And X? I can't really say much for it, but X, too, was good enough for me to like, typical problems aside. The storylines were straight from the games being made at the time, and I had enjoyed them enough to find out where they really came from, leading to me eventually learn about Sonic Adventure and its sequel. The whole space story was nice, from what I remember it. 

Both of these shows had turned me into a bigger fan of the series, and I thank them for that.

Day 14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

Can't figure out how to get rid of this huge gap :/

AdventuresofSonicTheHedgehog.jpg

Well, it was AoStH of course! Just like most others here, it seems tongue.png

I used to watch a lot of YouTube poops and the like, and I came across one that was that famous Sonic Sez from Lovesick Sonic, put through a vocoder. I was intrigued, and sought out the show. I found it, and watched most of the episodes on YouTube, and now I own all 3 DVD sets from Shout! Factory. I still do like the show a lot; it's not got much technical brilliance, but it is charming. And Tails is just... really cute the whole time. Also, the bromance between Sonic and Tails is something I've always really liked.

• Thumbs Up 2

~SSMB Has Cleared Media Manifestation Act 14!~

Smash them all...

Question #15: Are you able to do a good impression of any character?

boss-nass.jpg

This is who I sound like regardless of which character it is.

We all know about the many voices that belong to the characters within the Sonic universe, and that's just the official ones. Throughout the internet, including the Sonic Stadium itself, there are many fans who are capable of doing a brilliant impression - whether it be their own take or an imitation of an official voice - of one or two characters. Are you one of those people? Which characters do you feel you can pull off in a satisfactory manner? And have you ever applied your own vocal interpretation to a character who doesn't even have an official voice (ie: Marine, Shade, etc)?

Note: If you feel that you can't say much for this question for whatever reason, you're free to talk about a character (or a few) that you would like to be able to do a good impression of.

Crusher's Thoughts: Getting down to brass tacks, I'm pretty shit when it comes to Sonic voices (or voices in general). The voices that I use in my recordings for the Voice topic and my own fanfiction reading topic are usually deliberately exaggerated and/or completely unfitting, because that's pretty much the only option for me and my lackluster voice talent skills. Sonic sounds like a teenage gangster, Knuckles sounds like he's always got a stick up his arse, every single female character sounds terrible for obvious reasons, Shadow sounds like he's always whispering out loud, Omega sounds like Microsoft Sam's younger and confused son, Metal Sonic sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger without the accent... the list of my vocal failures is a long one.

However, there are a few characters who... well I wouldn't say they're great or even good, but compared to everyone else, they're a little better.

I really want to say that I can do a perfect Robotnik, but try as I might, I'm incapable of sounding anything like Mike Pollock's version, and when I try to sound like Deem Bristow's version, I sound like Meta Knight instead for some reason. So the best option for me is to try an impression similar to the great ClementJ642's version... but even then, while I think that's the most "successful" version for me so far, it still sounds more like Clement's Wily than it does his Robotnik. Having said that, I think I'm getting better at pulling off Long John Baldry's version.

Tails is currently the only character in which I actually use my own unique voice for (which I have yet to actually show in any of my recordings, the horrible voice used for Tails in past recordings is not the one I'm talking about), mainly because there is no way I would be able to pull off any of his actual voices. To other folk, said voice might sound a little weird and perhaps too quiet and calm for someone his age, but as sad as this will sound, I've grown rather attached to the idea (and I think it fits for someone like Tails anyway, even without taking my own character interpretations into account), so I don't plan on changing my "type" of Tails voice anytime soon.

It's not the best, but I suppose I'm not too bad with my Big impression... Well it's not too bad compared to Sonic and Knuckles and all the rest anyway. The only problem is that I'm concerned about him and Zomom sounding the same, Zomom being another character who I think I'm okay at doing an impression of.

For reasons I can't explain, I can do a Black Doom impression for a surprisingly long time before my throat inevitably starts to hurt. You can't say I'm not dedicated to getting the "I'm off to smoke two hundred more" voice down to a tee.

I can sort of do a Jet impression, but I don't think it's possible to do a completely perfect take on him without a few balloons on your person.

Perhaps unfortunately, due to his vocal notoriety, I'm able to do Silver's voice with little to no problems, right down to the suddenly British-sounding "Yes, of course" line in the scene after Silver and Shadow's Aquatic Base.

Though it might be recognised as a generic pirate voice, I think I can do an okay impression of Captain Whisker. I can pull off the "Avast, matey" line the most, same emphasis and everything.

Due to his voice being a little slower compared to most Sonic characters, I think I'm starting to pull off a decent impression of Zor. I'm this close to doing a perfect job with the "He's so upbeat, I wanna beat him up!" line.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #15: Are you able to do a good impression of any character?

Eeegh. I'm not a voice actor- or any kind of traditional actor- by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I don't feel too fond of my own voice anyway. I feel it's kind of deep and blah, even more so when it's coming back at me from a recording device. Ergo, I've not really tried to imitate any characters at length. If I ever so desired, I'd probably try to do Tails but that would be the extent of it. So in short.... no. xP

I feel like I can do a decent Zazz, but since I don't have a mic and can't hear it as it actually sounds, I can't verify it.

#15:

I used to be able to do a really good impression of this guy:

Shadowth_espio.png

Strong but soft-spoken badass!

Day 15: Can you impersonate any characters?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Does Chaos count? I can stick my head underwater and go "bleughbleughbaleugh", does that work? No? Awww. Yeah, I'm terrible with speaking, voices and impersonations in general, so sounding like a Sonic character isn't something I can do. Maybe I try sometimes, and it sounds good to me, so I record it and listen back and yeah no I can't do it. I think what you'd call it is lack of talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I'm not able to do a decent impression of any character. And, i don't like my voice that much.

I don't really do voice imitations nowadays, but a few years ago I could do a pretty good impression of Cream with her voice actor at the time, and some chao sounds. It's not much at all, but it's...something?

Hey, my voice isn't really suited for Sonic. I'm pretty much limited to females, and unless I go to the high pitch Cream needs my voice is too low for the other girls in the Sonic series. 

I can also do an impression of game Froggy, does that count?

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 14 OF 30 

CAN YOU DO A GOOD VOICE IMPRESSION?

God no.

My voice is way too deep and I have a speech impediment.

When I try to do Tails; he always sound stoned and kinda have this "hheeeeeyy" type voice.

The only one that sounded OK is Vector but I can't do it without gagging in the middle of it.

Day 15 - Impressions

I'm not especially confident about my voice (which really sucks for me, because I'd totally want to be a voice actor if I could, but I have no range, still not confident in my voice, etc.) but I have attempted to do several different voices before and people told me that they were good (which I don't understand but whatever). Allow me to tell y'alls a story.

Okay, so one day I was in a Skype call with a few people from here (I think it was Faseeh and a couple others), and they were all freaking out about my voice being deeper than they'd ever would've expected. So, since we were talking Sonic voices and stuff, they asked me to do a couple Sonic character lines. My first request was Shadow. I just said the first line I could think of, which was his infamous "Hmph, I'm the coolest!" and they all said I sounded just like him and I was like "whaaaaaaaat" The next thing they asked me to do was Knuckles, so I went with my favorite of his lines from SA2: "That's a good one, YOUR emerald?! Talking to you is a waste of time!" Once again, they thought it was pretty spot-on and I felt like it wasn't.

Also, on another random Skype call, I did a Gangsta Big voice and it pretty much killed everybody.

okay story time over.

TL;DR, apparently I make a decent Shadow, (Scott Dreier) Knuckles, and (maybe) Big. Also I think I could possibly pull of Espio and/or Mephiles since my voice is so deep.

Day 15: Can you do a good impression?

Sadly, no. The only characters I can actually do an impression of are Black Doom and Big and even then, their voices really aren't that hard to do IMO.

Day 15:

NOPE. No I can not do any voice impressions of any of the characters. Eh, I'm not too bothered by that though. (Though if I could do an Eggman life would be complete)

Day 15: Sonic Impressions.

Well I make Sonic cartoons as a hobby. For them I do some character voices. I do an okay Tails, a strange Charmy, a brilliant Marine and an accurate 4kids Rouge. If you want to see them, check the DoctorSpudhead Youtube channel. Big mention goes to my bro's Silver impression. He actually tricked people into thinking he was Pete Capella when they watched Generashorts XD

Day 15:

Hmmm, best impersonation of a character, cant really say I have actualy tried now that I think about, just like I've never made a fan character, its just something I havent had a reason to do. Honestly, I dont have a clue who I could do, I have a medium-to-kinda high vocal range, and I can tweak with it quite a bit, but imagine I would proably be able to do a decent Knuckles, Espio, or perhaps Omega or Eggman perhaps

So ya, dont really have a clue, but now I might have to give it a go :D

15/30 complete, halfway there