Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

DAY 14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

The games were my introduction to sonic, but the first piece of other sonic media I was acquainted with was,

ADVENTURES OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

I'm not sure where they came from, but I had two AOSTH VHS tapes. One had,

http://youtu.be/b6mcCM7bbF0

THE ROBOTNIK EXPRESS

I love trains, so naturally I loved this episode, and Da bears were funny too. It also had,

http://youtu.be/YbHlF4MLEBg

Tails' new home

I loved this episode, it's probably my favorite. I loved the one family with the gold fish, and the overflown bathtub.

And of course the mom, dad, picket fence scene. It really showed how great sonic and Tails' relationship is.

The other VHS tape had Grounder the genius, a very fun episode, and bold headed eagle, which is also a wonderful episode.

I watched these so many times as a kid, and the funny thing is, I had never seen any other episodes until years later on YouTube. I think I managed to get the VHS soon after the show was over, because I never saw it on tv.

I loved it very much, and I still do, though not quite as much. I prefer satam, though I never saw it when I was younger.

AOSTH was fun though, it has that wackiness and silliness that I loved when I was a kid. I always loved when sonic would dress up to confuse Robotnik or one of his badniks.

DAY 14 OF 30

NON GAME INTRODUCTION 

Due to me not being born in the 90s, I never saw the Adventures of Sonic, SATam, and undergrounds so instead I watched

621px-Sonic_X_logo.svg.png

Holy crap I was addicted to this show when I was little.

When the weekends come around, I would wake up early and run to the nearest TV and watch it... in my underwear.

I owned some of the Toys for it too; like this Tails one for example

Sonic_Tails.jpg

and also these

$_35.JPG

(Remember when bendable "action figures" were a thing?)

• Thumbs Up 1

AdventuresofSonicTheHedgehog.jpg

Ah this show. This show wasn't a huge part of my childhood, but it was the medium that introduced me to the Sonic franchise in the first place, so it is important. ;). I'd occasionally watch episodes on Toon Disney and I even ended up getting a couple volumes of the series on DVD.

my first not game media:

Sbook46.png

this was the Shogakukan manga and i got this after i play some of the Sonic games for the first time. i really found this comic to be awesome and i really like Sonic. also i got to see how some of the characters start out. so i read this comic when i get it as a gift or i look for it on the internets. This actually got me into the Sonic archie comics.

• Thumbs Up 6

The first non-game piece of Sonic media that I remember coming across was this little escapade on the USA network while channel-flipping some random day in the mid/late 90's:

After this episode, I found myself picking up more eps on VHS (Still have 'em!), watching the eventual reruns on Toon Disney quite often, and later coming across the other televised adventures of the blue blur through random VHSs. (The first episode of Underground that I saw was actually included on a tape of the Zelda cartoon as a bonus. tongue.png) X was the first time that I actually got the opportunity to watch a Sonic toon when it was new and to this day, it remains one of the only ones that I've bothered to collect entirely on DVD. (The other being SatAM. Missed out on Shout!'s AoStH Volume 3, unfortunately.) Always loved how unique these cartoons can be, so needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sonic Boom brings to the table.

Day 14: First Non-Sonic Related Media

Much like the previously mentioned merchandise in Question 11, Sonic The Hedgehog has spawned into different forms of media outside of the video game installments. Whether it's in the form of comics or TV shows, this gave to the fan base interesting side stories to enjoy and a form to expand the universe that the characters are in. In terms of personal experience, my first contact with non-Sonic related media was...

300px-AoStHtitle.jpg

Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog

As a young Sonic enthusiast thanks to the Mega Drive and Master System games and the few merchandise products I collected at the time, the day I knew about this show totally caught my interest. A TV cartoon starring one of my favourite characters? Sounds quite cool, I thought. I found out this show one Saturday morning circa 1995 when it was aired by private-owned channel Telecinco in Spain, and I remember the very first episode I ever watched was Lovesick Sonic (the episode where Sonic falls in love with female hedgehog Breezie, which actually is a robot created by Dr Robotnik).

My opinions about the show nowadays differ from what I remember back when I was a little kid. Back then I thought the show was enjoyable, but nowadays I think the show is way too wacky, goofy and out there, technically not what I would expect from a transition of the video games into the TV show. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly a different take of the franchise and as such it's not meant to be canon within the game series, but in comparison to Sonic SatAM or even the upcoming Sonic Boom... I dunno, it makes me wonder what the producers were on when they decided to create this. XD;

Oh, and who would think this simple PSA aired in Lovesick Sonic would end up being a recurrent joke on the Internet many years later? XD

Fuuuuuck, yesterday was a super busy day and I didn't get a chance to chime in. D:

Day 13 - 

Greatest achievement for me is either beating Sonic 2 or getting the platinum trophy for Generations. The "Can't Touch This" trophy is a fucking nightmare that I somehow got on my first PSN account, and not one I care to try getting again. Sonic 2's just fucking hard.

Day 14 - 

Boring answer. AoStH. Watched the shit out of whatever VHS tapes I could get my hands on as a kid, after loving Sonic 2 and 3. Watched SatAM shortly after.

Day #14 First non-game Sonic media you remember.

STC134.jpg 

Sonic the Comic

For some reason I remember this issue cover the most out of all the one's I had, I believe this is the one with Mighty's Dad/Uncle or something chasing Sonic on Rexxy? It's been a while... But yeah, I used to spend a lot of time at my Grandma and Grandad's as a kid and every morning, my Grandad would walk up to the local news agent for his paper and some milk, so I'd tag along sometimes for some sweets or a comic (on the weekends only, not every day because I was a good kid!) and I remember seeing the Sonic comic on the magazine rack, I would pick up each new issue whenever they came out, I think it was fort nightly? And on the off chance I wasn't there, my Grandad was sweet enough to pick it up for me anyway so he had it there waiting for when I did come over, so nice!

Sonic X

I didn't get to see AoSTH, Sonic SatAM or Sonic Underground as a kid, but when Sonic X started airing on CITV every day after school, I used to rush back as fast as I could, and tape it on a VHS tape, even all the way into secondary/senior school, I remember one time on my lunch break, I went back to my crush's house to get snacks and watch a bit of TV, she had Sky and I remember the SA2 adaption episode was on where Sonic and Shadow go super to beat the Biolizard, we were enthralled and excited and we were late back for class, but it was so worth it seeing Sonic turn super in a cartoon show! After that episode I ended up buying these...

0001568(1).jpg 0001569(1).jpg

At the time Sonic X aired there were no complete DVD set's of the series till much, MUCH later, and when I got these, I was only just getting into the internet and it's vastness of online shopping, I bugged my mom all day convincing her to let me buy these off ebay, and she eventually let me have them and I literally marathoned them from beginning to end, I still have them too! My first ever Ebay purchase and now look at me nearly 10 years later.

My first non Sonic game Sonic encounter was the Sonic Heroes/SEGA Mcdonalds promotion. This was looooong before I knew about Sonic as a game franchise. And back when I ate at that disgusting shithole called Mcdonalds.

At the same Mcdonalds they also had demos displaying Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Heroes. In SA1 I couldn't find my way out of Station Square and Heroes was just unplayable! Just like how it is n-*shot*

I got the Tails one, the game is painfully repetitive. I still have it laying around somewhere.

Mcagain.jpg

Wait....this also spawned....OH GOD N-

KILL IT!

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, which I was used to watch some mornings before I went to school. It was so weird seeing Sonic in a non-game media that I was pretty enamored with it when I watched it. Still entertaining today.

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

sonic_the_hedgehog_adventures_of.jpg

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was my first non-game bit of Sonic media. I liked it a lot then, and thought it was funny. I still like it better than "SatAM" but holy shit is it bad.

The animation stinks, the voice acting is cringeable and the jokes aren't funny.

I was a dumb kid. God what other stupid shows did I like?

zYjPXjX.jpg?1
GAH

• Thumbs Up 2

DAY 14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

240px-Aosth.jpg

I watched this. I watched it and liked it. I watched it and got disappointed when I saw the other Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon and didn't think it was nearly as good.

Both shows kind of induce cringing today but at least AoStH has legendary camp value, mostly through Robotnik achieving meme status and becoming a YTP icon. That's gotta count for something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There was a Sonic picture book that I had my parents order for me when I was five out of a school catalogue. I can't remember what it was called but if I saw it again I'd probably recognize it.

Huh, could've sworn I did yesterday's. Oh well, time to fix that. (And of course I haven't been online today, soooo...)

Day #13: What Sonic game achievements are you most proud of?

Probably 100%ing Sonic Rush. Considering it was my first Sonic game, and I kinda ragequit in the beginning of Blaze's story (seriously, how was I supposed to know you had to do a trick to get up there?) and at Sonic's Altitude Limit, it felt so satisfying to come back a year later and beat those stages like nothing. Especially in those final moments of when I beat the final boss; Exception, Egg Salamander, whatever it's called.

Day #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

...Yep. Surprisingly, I actually like this show. Aside from the oh-so-obvious Chris Thorndyke. In fact, even more so than the existing western cartoons. Sorry, but they're just...a little cheesy for me. And SatAM, well, it just never really caught my fancy. And I really didn't give a care in the world about the voice acting.

Well, while I didn't actually watch the show at first, I was finally introduced to my Sonic obsession from...the 4Kids website. Yeah. But I can explain: at the time, I was really into dinosaurs and...searched for...dinosaur-related flash games...or something. I managed to come across a game based on the show Dinosaur King on the 4Kids website. I eventually got bored of the game and decided to explore the site a bit and came across Sonic X. I had remembered seeing the blue hedgehog in some advertisements in my old-ish magazines, and thought I'd figure out what Sonic was all about. And things just kinda went from there.

I swear if there's a question on how we got into Sonic, I'm just gonna quote this post.

Day 14: First Non-Game Piece of Sonic Media

240px-Aosth.jpg

ADVENTURES OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

Yeah, I share the same experience with many here. When I was four years old, during the budding days of my intense Sonic fandom, I was informed of a Sonic cartoon existing by my father. I caught the tail end of an episode once while I was at his work, gazing upon the beauty of it for a single minute...before it went off.

I was very sad.

My father then started taping the episodes for me to watch - on VHS, because it was such a primitive time. The first one he taped was that one episode with the mind-controlling pollen that hypnotized Sonic into thinking he was "an ordinary slow-mo". I watched that single episode so many times that those words have been ingrained in my head.

Of course, my parents also bought me a handful of Archie Sonic comics back in the day. Come to think of it, that may actually have come before my discovery of AoStH. Oh, well. I barely remember anything about the Archies except for that "FIRSTS" compilation that had five issues that involved character introductions. None of the characters had any personality and it was cheesy and awful and I liked it I think.

oh whale

sonic-the-hedgehog-sonic-aka-satam-sonic

(Yes I'm using the Ken Penders art, shaddup =)

I still can't believe Sonic SATAM was my first ever exposure to the character as a child. As far as I can remember, my Mom got me a few VHS tapes of the show from Blockbuster, and I was hooked from the get go. Sonic was just the coolest, hip hero I had ever laid eyes upon, I always looked up to Tails and saw myself in his position, as I was his age watching the show (4-5), and Dr. Julian Robotnik scared the ever loving shit out of me. Those eyes and that voice just gave me nightmares, it's no wonder I was so scared of him first coming upon Sonic Adventure.

It's a little strange how SATAM was my first exposure to Sonic, as it's so radically different from anything in the games I know and love, despite only playing long afterward. Still, I couldn't get enough of its quirky cast of characters and somewhat darker tone, and while it really doesn't hold up looking back on it, the show made me a fanatic of anything Sonic related, and it's why I was so quick to watch Sonic X, despite really hating Chris from the start. :P 

Day 14: What was the first Non-Game bit of Sonic media did you run across?

AoStHtitle.jpg

...Because, why not?

On a serious note; this was the show that I first came across and loved ever since. I always remember back in mid-to-late 90s that I would always get my ass up every morning to watch on the Toon Disney channel. I always enjoyed the wackiness and deranged nature of this show staring a blue hedgehog who can run at the speed of sound fighting an egg shaped scientist and his robot minions while going on many adventures with his two-tail fox companion, it also helps that I've played the games and became a fan of the series.

sonic_aosth.jpg

I will always hold this show dear to my heart as a childhood reminder as to why I love the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and the other non-game media of the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 14: What was you first taste of Sonic outside the games?

Drumroll please.

You'll never guess.

Not in a million years.

not in a BILLION years

not in a HOUSE

not with a MOUSE

will not say Adventures or SATAM

I

I will not say it Crusher Man!

but real talk it totally was Adventures you can all go home now I'm so sorry

as for why, uh

basically a combination of T-Min and Homem's posts. It was really that first thing in the franchise that piqued my interest beyond "those games I have not and will never beat." Plus, it was the first rendition of Eggman who I really had a fondness for. That alone deserves a spot in the hall of greats.

• Thumbs Up 3

Uhhh, I actually have no idea.

It probably was AoSTH, like the landslide of others here, but to be honest I had my hand in so many mediums at the time that it really could have been anything. Maybe SatAM, maybe the comics... maybe one of those kids books or graphic novels that were spinning around back then.

I have no idea which came first. Just that I was into everything this side of Sonic the Comic....

Day 14: What was the first non-game media depiction of Sonic you came across?

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as most people most likely also posted as response.

It was campy, it made no sense, it was outrageous, but most of all I just loved the sheer randomness of it all. Sonic being a wiseass, Tails being just a really young kid who doesn't know any better.

And of course the big meme-meister and eternal lung-shouting breakout character himself Dr. Robotnik who made every line read epic as heck.

I dunno what else to describe it, but I really found it entertaining on equal grounds as SatAM Sonic for that matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

Oh, oh, oh, oh! Easy-Peasy!

It's Aosth!

This is the Italian intro, by the way. The French later used it for their dub. The male voice singing? It's Sonic's Italian Voice actor. Yeah, totally not Jaleel White, I know. But I like this voice way more. He later went to dub Barbossa in the Pirates of The Carribean movies, Taz in Taz-Mania and many, many, many other characters. Also, the fat guy in Sonic Lost World. Not Eggman, the other fat guy whose name I can't bring myself to google.

Some dub choices were...something not exactly praise-worthy, like changing Tails' name to Scheggia (Splinter. No, I know what you're thinking. "Scheggia" in Italian can also be used to describe something fast) and Robotnik to Nick ( a change that was kept even in the Italian dubs of Satam and Underground). There were also Nervetto (Scratch), Testadura (Grounder) and Nocciolino (Coconuts), but...yeah.

I loved this series. It was wacky and totally non-sense. But some episodes were surprisingly good, like Tails' New Home (my favourite episode in the series, I may add) and the Chaos Emeralds Saga. And who could forget Super Robotnik?

[ Day 14 : First Non-Game Media ]

Well, I've mentioned before that I was introduced to the series via SatAM, and that's probably what helped me become a fan to this day.  The show still holds an incredible nostalgic value to me, despite being silly and sometimes rushed.  I think I saw at least one episode of AoSTH, too, but it's buried deep in my skull somewhere.  Since the show was canceled pretty early on in my life, I actually went through a hiatus of not knowing much about Sonic.  So I think the very next non-game related thing to re-introduce me to Sonic would have to be...

srr-cover.JPG

I feel bad that I colored in the pages to this.  It would have been a great collector's item had I not. XD - But my mom got it for me at a yard sale and I've not parted with it since.  Interestingly enough, it's also the centerpiece of what I hope to be an expanding collection of classic Sonic merchandise.  I mean, all Sonic merchandise is great but there's something special about the old-school Sonic merch to me.

ANYWAY, that's not the point of this question.  So yeah, SatAM was my first introduction to Sonic, but I think one thing that reintroduced my love of the series was that book.

Day 14

As I said before I was properly introduced to Sonic with Sonic Heroes after a brief encounter back in the late 90's. So it was the early 2000's which meant every Friday I'd rush from school to my gran's house for the weekend and put CITV on once I got there.

One particular time I was sitting there enjoying the usual runs of Thomas The Tank Engine, Ripley and Scuff etc when suddenly the announcer says something called "Sonic X" is coming on after the break. I'd no idea what this thing was so I waited through the adverts and when they came back, I'll be damned, it was that hedgehog from the game I was playing the hell out of. So I sat there and enjoyed it and it became a regular part of my Friday afternoon telly.

So yeah, Sonic X. You get a free ride with me...well, your first series at least.

sonic63.jpg

The first piece of Sonic media that I experienced, outside of the games, was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Man, did I love that show so much. I remember it was sometimes on Channel 4's Big Breakfast show. I preferred to avoid watching it in that slot though, because they split the episodes into like four segments... four teeny tiny segments. We had to record them in order to fast-forward through the adverts. In fact, we recorded them all for repeated viewings anyway, missing only the Christmas episode that I don't recall being on TV.

Anyway, back to the lovin'. The bad guys made this show. Even my sister enjoyed it at the time, because Scratch, Grounder and Robotnik were just too damn hilarious. My favourite moments, aside from most interactions between the dimbots, included: the view from the Doctor's jiving butt cheeks as he played the piano; Super Robotnik; the Chaos Emerald arc (seriously; pirates, knights, mummies and dinosaurs!?); Wes Weasley's incessant scamming, ninja Scratch and Grounder and Tails having to step up when Sonic was petrified.

• Thumbs Up 2

First non-game piece of Sonic media?

300px-AoStHtitle.jpg

Yup, I'm one of the crowd...

Honestly I used to fucking adore this show as a kid, but now? I honestly really can't stand it. Granted, I'd take it over SatAM or Underground anyday, but... the animation is so crude and if it is funny, it's for all the wrong reasons. (EG: Sonic Sex shorts, Eggman's "NO", "PINGAS", etc)

It's fun to watch these days for me if I'm bored to death. Any other time, it's meh. Honestly I'm not surprised I liked it as a kid, because hey... guess what else I liked as a kid...

Sonic-underground2.jpg

*shiver*