Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

So yeah, that's probably my best 'game' achievement, if it were Sonic in general... then there's this...

Well poop, Day 13's over. Otherwise I'd have added Sonic Revolution to my list... can't believe it slipped my mind.

~SSMB Has Cleared Achievement Aptronym Act 13!~

Get them...

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

Day 14, glee!

Sonic Underground. I had seen passing references to Adventures of Sonic in a commercial, but Underground was the first non-game continuity I really started following.

I actually faked being sick numerous times just so I could stay home and watch it. The fact there was a Sonic cartoon at all really appealed to my seven year old mind. Also, the "rub your head so friction generates enough to heat pass as a fever" trick was always glorious.

The first alternate continuity I really aggressively pursued and followed was Archie, but it came second so it doesn't count for the purposes of this question.

For me it was probably Sonic books. In the 90s primary schools were often visited by a "book fair" where multicoloured chests would turn up in the school hall, which contained shelves of different books. Upon seeing Sonic books I convinced my mum to buy me one! Or two, perhaps... anyways I strongly remember having these books:

Sonic Choose Your Own Adventure Books.

Well, sort-of-choose-your-own-adventure... you would play these "Adventure" books with a dice. At the beginning, there is a stats page which gives you Sonic's abilities in terms of numbers. If you encounter an enemy, you roll the dice to determine with the Awesome Power of Mathematics if Sonic's attacks, running away etc... is successful or not, which tells you which page to turn to. Some pages are just "decide what Sonic does and turn to x page.". I had four of these, but I can't recall what the fourth one was...

78d32043-3ec5-4f5a-b278-bf36b2951513_zps

Sonic's friends get turned into Badniks in the Scrap Brain Zone... you have to find a way in with the help of a rat named Boomer(!), so called because he carries a ghetto-blaster with him(!) I seem to remember some funny scenes where you can choose to save Tails and Princess Sally, or leave them trapped in their respective predicaments (Sally is suspended in a cage above a fiery pit IIRC!). If you choose not to save them, the page it gives you says something along the lines of "Sonic would never do that! YOU MUST BE A BADNIK!" XD

sonic2_zps83c9ff84.jpg

IIRC Sonic and Tails get split up across Mobius and have to find each other, helping some folks along the way. I don't recall much about this one, but I liked that it would let you play as Tails.

8216e9a0-47d2-49df-bc50-02c90bcf32a4_zps

Sonic fights a metal Sonic, but not that Metal Sonic! I seem to recall Sonic gets his ass handed to him, has a lucky escape through Chemical Plant Zone into Aquatic Ruin Zone then has to find a way to kick Zonik's ass.

To be honest after I played them through once, I would cheat to find the alternative endings. They took a surprisingly long time!

Sonic "novels".

Please ignore the terrible cover art(!)

3491bb39-e76f-455b-9d7b-db33cc7b9fc8_zps

This was probably my favourite Sonic book because it's an actual story... basically Sonic's friends get sucked into a computer world via the usual Monitors that scatter Mobius. Sonic manages to help them escape, via Tails inside the computer world but once their animals friends are freed, they start behaving... strangely. Sonic realises they have been infected with a computer virus and has to find a way to save them!

Now... this book was written in the 90s. It is cheesy as hell! The language is all "mondo cool awesome" and stuff like that. There's also a few pretty hilarious scenes such as Sonic trying to type to Tails in the computer world, but the messages Tails gets are all kinda screwed up... a Light Switch/Slight Witch gag... Sonic getting pinned down by a Burrowbot and getting his spikes pierced, several references to other games, including one that springs to mind; parody version of Chun Li and her massive thighs... and when the animals are "sick" they start shouting in faux Italian accents!

Johnny Lightfoot, Porker Harris and Sally Acorn are all mentioned as Sonic's friends... and he makes a new friend; Iggy, a mouse from the Mystic Cave Zone who happens to be a computer genius. She taught me that "8 bits make a Byte, and half a Byte is Nybble!" XD It also clearly states that Sonic is an orphan... no idea why they needed to include that, but yeah. There's that.

Of course I knew AoSTH, SatAm, STC.... but I'm pretty sure I had these books first!

Question #14: What was the first NON-GAME bit of Sonic media that you came across?

Sonic X. I remember watching the premiere on TV and being excited to watch it. I liked the show enough at the time to watch it, but going back I can't stand watching more than 5 minutes of it.

My first exposure to Sonic in media that wasn't games...hmmm, well...

sonic-x-logo-again-sonic-x-show-30142949

It was during the time in which Fox Kids had began to die off, and become 'Jetix', I believe, Sonic X used to be shown early in the morning, as part of the AM block they had on a Saturday, I think they showed two episodes of the show, before going over to the, much better, Bobobo-bo Bobo-bo. That's how I remember it...and it wasn't the best memory to be honest. Even as a kid, I really didn't enjoy it, mostly down to Chris. I found him annoying, I mean, I always thought, if I met Sonic in real life, I wouldn't be such a dweeb. 

I was simultaneously playing Heroes at the same time, so it led to some confusion, mostly from the fact that the characters all sounded different.

Regardless, I wish I had been exposed to AOSTH first, but sadly, that was the second non-game media I came across. I think it was shown on Pop in the UK.

First exposure to Non-Video Game Sonic media:

P1SonicX.jpg

This piece of Anime adaptation media right here.

When I first saw it, it through brief glimpse of a scene where Sonic was being chased down by Shadow...(or maybe it was the other way around?)

I was interested in it, as I was a new Sonic fan at the time and any type of Sonic related media would instantly get my attention. Later found that it was airing on 4Kids in the Saturday morning schedule. I ended up watching the whole series, found myself enjoying it, and I "Don't" know why I ever did in the first place.

It was entertaining for a while, but after a LOT of rewatchings I ended hating the character Chris and all those related to "that" character. On later watchings I was annoyed by them and thought that they weren't necessary to the show, getting too much screen time compared to the other Sonic characters...especially Chris. It didn't really intoduce me into any of the characters  since they were in all of the games I had at the time...and it ended up wearing off on me as soon as I got older.

My first non-game Sonic thing would have been... The awful Sonic Underground. I recall planting myself in front of the telly on Saturday mornings to watch that show. No idea what channel it was on. No idea why I thought I should keep watching it. Glad I stopped.

*shudders*

hmm, first non-Sonic game media eh.

I'd say it was either AOSTH or  SATAM. My brother was something of a Sonic fan long before I became one, and I believe I saw him watching said shows during Saturday and whenever he got home from school. Of course I was no older than about 3-4 when I saw this, so I didn't what the hell was he or anything. 

Day 14 Challenge: First NON-GAMING bit of Sonic media seen

13/30 Challenges Completed

rsz_sonicwonder.png

Well, you see...

After doing some research to try and remember which piece of non-gaming Sonic media I was exposed to first, I finally came to conclusion that I still don't exactly know what I was exposed to first. All I know that it was either Sonic OVA (DVD) or Archie Sonic The Hedgehog #130. Though, looking at when both were released in North America, I'm slightly going to lean more with Sonic OVA. 

SonicanimeVHS.jpg

Ah yes, Sonic OVA. I still can remember when I got this and a Sonic Underground DVD as a present from my mom. Now that I think even more about it, I guess it's officially a tie between Sonic OVA and Sonic Underground since I got both on the same day, in the same box from Amazon. Though, I ended up watching Sonic OVA first, so whatever. 

830013_1333923751612_478_362.png

Anyways, even though this was a new continuity (I wasn't stupid enough as a kid to believe that this all took place in the same continuity as the games), I still ended up loving it. It had some of the cast of characters from the games that I loved and even added a few original characters into the mix that ended up being pretty nice editions. I guess it's a bit funny now that I look back at my history with Sonic OVA because as a kid I never noticed the part where Sara was pregnant and breastfeeding Robotnik kids. Now, the part when Sonic flicked off Metal Robotnik? The part where Metal Sonic looked up Sara's dress? I seen them all and probably even laughed at what I seen back then (I still laugh at those parts today actually). 

Dqsh7.png

Before I end this look back at my seriously, was this my first? first non-gaming piece of Sonic media, I have to note that Sonic OVA was really the reason that I started loving Metal Sonic so much to the point where he has officially became one of my favorite characters in the entire franchise. His fights with Sonic, to me at least, were brutal and just epic to watch. It's just one of those things in life that you'll never forget... 

14/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it was the official Sonic Yearbook.

The cover here looks familiar, but the book I remember had a pink background, with Sonic running towards the reader, from the left hand side. A quick Google search hasn't found it, however the synopsis on the link I do definitely recognise. I remember being very confused by the Shinobi arc!

The art was not particularly great, the writing was also nothing to write home about. But hey, I was a very young boy who had a new obsession, I'd have read anything with Sonic's face on the cover.

I imagine not long after I first saw Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, though strangely it would not be until Issue 18 I first picked up Sonic the Comic, almost a year after that Yearbook was released!

day 14: first non game sonic media

Hmm for me that would have to be either one of two things.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog or the Sonic "movie" (OVA)

AoStH i remember catching on the TV once, my brother was most likely watching it at the time. I caught the beginning theme tune which was catchy as hell and sat down. Never had I been so quiet in my childhood! The humour I enjoyed and the characters I loved, not to mention Sonic Says!

The OVA I remember watching in my Brothers room when he first got it, i was amazed by a feature length Sonic cartoon and I loved it! every second. I loved Metal Sonic and especially the music for south island! B)

That's easy. I would've had to have been AoStH--

what a boring answer 

;~; I feel old.

But nonetheless, that's just the timeline of my life. Nothing else was out at the time (except the comics I think, but somehow I didn't run into them later.) Although the interesting part is that I don't think I actually watched it on TV until Toon Disney started showing it. I saw a video tape of it in a store that included "The Robotnik Express" and "Tails' New Home," and my dad bought it for me, so it was another thing to watch in the growing list of VHS tapes I had as a kid. But it was one of my favorites; both episodes are genuinely hilarious not only to me but others in my family, so everyone got a lot of mileage out of it. Subsequently, those are my favorite two episodes hands down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy to see all the AoStH love around here, even if the show was objectively terrible. livestock~02-03-04-pac.gif

Now, whenever I see someone say that Sonic X was their first introduction to Sonic aside from the games... man, that makes me feel really old. Gu-huh. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Day #14: First non-game Sonic media

This

http://youtu.be/czULZ9IRaic

A family member had this episode on video. She showed it to me after having already shown me the Mega Drive games.

This was the first time I'd ever seen Tails, since the games she actually showed me where very Tails-light (Sonic 1, Sonic & Knuckles).

I remember we used to quote the episode all the time in the playground:

"Help I've fallen and I can't get up!"

"Up humpty wall we go!"

A while later, my mum came across the same video while shopping, only this copy had an extra episode on it:

http://youtu.be/njvW3tbe7PA

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember we used to quote the episode all the time in the playground:

"Help I've fallen and I can't get up!"

"Up humpty wall we go!"

My brother and I used to do better, and somehow do it perfectly:

"ACTIVATE THE MAGNETIC SNEAKER GRIPPER HEDGEHOG TRAPPER RUG! GET HIM!! GET THAT HEDGEHOG!!!!"

Probably annoyed the shit out of our parents. xD

• Thumbs Up 4

Day #14: First non-game Sonic media

This

http://youtu.be/czULZ9IRaic

A family member had this episode on video. She showed it to me after having already shown me the Mega Drive games.

Saw this on mute with captions on . . .

s1hlso.jpg

...is that where he gets his speed from?!

• Thumbs Up 9

Happy to see all the AoStH love around here, even if the show was objectively terrible. livestock~02-03-04-pac.gif

>: ( AOSTH IS LUV! AOSTH IS LIFE!

...Anyways...

PRESIDENT CROW'S DAY 14 OF FURST SANIC MEDIAS

FUK ALL YA!

300px-AoStHtitle_zpsb743445b.jpg

Yeah, a lot of people have been talking about AoStH this day which something I've doing myself. I really can't help it since it was my first exposure to Sonic and the fact that I was a kid so I didn't had much to watch anyways. Its still a great show and I still love it if you hadn't noticed by all my posts in this thread. But I've said too much about this already so let's move on. NEXT DAY PLZ.

Damn, I'm not sure what I was exposed to first. I remember having one of those LCD games from the Heroes promotion (I think it was the one with Shadow and Omega). If that doesn't count, I guess watching episodes of AoStH on Youtube?

This thing right here. Sonic X was my first non-game experience with Sonic. And back then I did enjoy it, but as I matured and such, while it wasn't terrible - it certainly isn't as good as I once remember.

The first piece of Sonic media that I experienced, outside of the games, was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Man, did I love that show so much. I remember... blablabla etc.

Somehow I forgot this:

1-1.jpg

That was my first experience with Sonic outside of the games. Oops. I forgot that it was released before AoStH. Having this to look forward to every fortnight was great; at least when they were adapting material from the games anyway. Some stories could venture into rather strange territory. Highlights of its run included the adaptations of Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles and Chaotix; any time that Nack, the Brotherhood of Metallix or Super Sonic showed up, Sonic vs Metal Knuckles and the Chaos finale. If I remember correctly, the initial strip saw Sonic simply cruising through Green Hill or Emerald Hill, bopping badniks while looking for Tails. He appeared in the next issue..

STC2-Robofox.jpg

... not looking so hot.

• Thumbs Up 3

My first Sonic experience outside of the games was watching the OVA as a kid, though the only parts I remembered were the scenes where Sera and Robotnik were playing that fighting game and the one where Metal Sonic encountered Old Man Owl.

Aside from that... uh... YouTube Poops?ph34r.png

Hard to say considering I was there at the beginning as a small fry. My memory ain't what it used to be, but my research and scraps of small things I recall, suggest that it was either Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog or Fleetways Sonic The Comic.

Both first appeared back in 1993 according to wikipedia. It specified AoStH starting in September, which would more likely be the original US air date. UK tends to get them months (Sometimes years) later. While the earliest StC story I can recall, was released 10th July 1993, which if these dates are correct, must mean that Sonic the Comic came first.

Cover4.jpg

This is the cover of the earliest issue I can recall. Strange to think that we got it, even though Sonic isn't featured on the cover...

So the Sonic story was called "Day of the Badniks" it featured a rather cool looking Badnik Sonic, looking to have the real Sonic as it's "Living Battery" as was the case with all badniks.

STC4-BadnikSonic.JPG

Robotnik and Tails was there two. In fact Sonic got captured because of Tails. Well...Tails tried to help and attacked, only to crash into Sonic, leaving them both tangled together. Apparently that'd be the first time Sonic referred to Tails as "Pixel Brain."

For some reason, Robotnik was dressed as a cannon.

STC4-BadnikTails.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

I was exposed to the comics through all the covers on Sonic Mega Collection. The whole thingbwas pretty surreal. Seeing Sonic being put through all this romance and drama and shit.

Even back then I remember being confused on why Knuckles was everywhere and wearing so many different outfits. Heh.

Question #14: What was the first non-game Sonic media that you came across?

As far as I remember, the first non-game Sonic thing that I ever saw was this rather "interesting" cartoon called Sonic Underground.

It used to air on a cartoon block during afternoons on week days and back then the only Sonic game I had ever played was Sonic 2 for the Master System, so I don't even know if I was aware that the two things where even related.

p0T2EPS.png

I'm pretty sure that you people are aware of how weird this show was and probably know much about it than I do, so I won't get into any specific details.

If my memory serves me right, in this cartoon Sonic and his brother and sister than are nonexistent outside of this cartoon are royalty and are looking for their lost mother. What a great first impression.

The villains where pretty lame, I mean, two dingoes and one of the could mutate into all sorts of stuff? What where they smoking? And lets not talk about the musical parts.

All in all, from what I remember this show was pretty weird.