Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Lol. He can't make money off of "Green Knuckles" or "Robo Robotnik." They literally use Sonic character names and likeness.

I can't wait to watch this crash and burn.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm shocked no one has brought up the fact that he thinks these are worth 100 thousand dollars a pop. Like, beyond all the other awful, horrible shit involved with this NFT nonsense, the fact that he believes his art is work that much is so genuinely laughable that it veers into pathetic territories. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • My Emmerdoods 3

Now I'm pretty sure that he doesn't believe at all what he says, and that he is just saying stuff to provoke and get attention. It's just completely cynical.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

especially after that licensing deal for Scourge went south in the span of a week.

They still paid for the license didn't they?  I have a feeling that he was more than willing to screw them over with that whole situation.

4 hours ago, Mega said:

Lol. He can't make money off of "Green Knuckles" or "Robo Robotnik." They literally use Sonic character names and likeness.

I can't wait to watch this crash and burn.

Considering how many NFTs are for stolen art and such, you could say he's just going with the flow.

2 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Nah, I think they got their money back.

Surprisingly decent of him if so. I'd sooner expect "that's just how the business works. You don't know anything about business; I know all about business, and this is how it works" from him.

6 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Nah, I think they got their money back.

Last time I heard he was still claiming that Rush had the license and it was up to them if they wanted to do anything with it, plus blaming fans for prompting them not too. My info could be out of date though.

Ahh, there we go. The pathetic and sad attempt at justification and defence.

• Thumbs Up 7

Considering shit like the "Bored Apes" that have been aggressively pushed everywhere are not even credited to the original artist and she doesn't see a dime from them (but she makes her own NFTs so whatever), I don't think that's quite right.

I mean, yeah, there are illustrators that I'm aware of who have gotten into the space for one reason or the other and see decent money from them (but nowhere near what Penders is valuing fucking Green Knuckles NFT at--I'm talking in hundreds of dollars per piece, not even thousands) but that's on closed platforms that vet their contributors, and it's still nowhere near as big as the rampant art theft everywhere else (here's an example of music being scraped from Spotify and minted without the artists' permission--and this is the third or fourth case I've heard of this in the last 24 hours).

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm just wondering if he's bringing his A game to this, we get another flat-faced Sonic, or he just rips and crops scans of Archie panels from a comic piracy website (which is in itself ironic, as that's pretty much the only way his past work is now available in its entirety-- or so I would assume).

NFTs only help artist that are well known. So Jamie Hewlett and Junji Ito would benefit more from NFTs more than Ken Penders. Otherwise, your art is going to be floating in an ocean of an oversaturated market. 

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, AlienBunny said:

NFTs only help artist that are well known. So Jamie Hewlett and Junji Ito would benefit more from NFTs more than Ken Penders. Otherwise, your art is going to be floating in an ocean of an oversaturated market. 

"Well, I've never heard of them, so I must be a much bigger artist." -- Penders, probably.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

You can easily tell that armor was not made for Julie-Su. I mean, does Ken realize that the area shaped like a goats horn is probably where Shade's upward locks go? That Shade's head piece is where her masked helmet comes from?

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And so it begins. I do have to admit, the art's not too bad compared to the other TLSC artwork.spacer.png

His art would be fine if he had his airbrush privileges revoked and drew the eyes and lips in any other way.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, he's finally putting out his artwork for the series?

I don't think that's it. Looks like he's flexing his "ownership" of certain Sonic characters via his NFT initiative.

• Absolutely 1

18 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And so it begins. I do have to admit, the art's not too bad compared to the other TLSC artwork.spacer.png

Do I really need to point out the obvious as to why this won’t work for him?

• Absolutely 4

Worth noting, beyond the very obvious fact that no, he does not own Shade - is the art itself. It's in the Sonic artstyle. Which in terms of TL-SC, Penders was explicitly barred from doing as part of the settlement with Archie/SEGA, hence why we went from the first iteration of off-putting Sonic styled art, to all of the weird, awful, terrible attempts at realistic, uncanny, human-like alien artwork.

What this also means is if he's ignoring this for Julie-Su, he might also try to do the same with Green Knuckles, which while he claims to own as a concept, he certain has absolutely zero rights to Knuckles' likeness as a character. The fact that both of these are going into for-profit territory also isn't a particularly good thing.    

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

If he makes money off of this, it's really only a matter of time until the lawsuits start pouring in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, for fucks sakes Penders, you didn’t even make the fucking suit for Shade! Bioware did!

It’s one thing to take an idea and come up with a different take on it(which he actually did with Salma—seriously, do more of that!!!), but you could do better than blatantly making a 1-to-1 copy another company’s work and claiming it as yours.

Like, shameless is one thing, but this is just being deliberate in ways that even a child knows better than to do—a child would at least make a different design just for fun and appreciation.

• Thumbs Up 6