Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

On 4/21/2024 at 3:53 AM, Promethean0416 said:

I am going to hazard a guess he means this group "commission" he had a while ago:

F5YTxPDaEAAplVy?format=jpg&name=900x900

Willing to bet he is going to try and sell copies of it at the next event whenever he gets it done. Also, what are the odds that the so-called "mystery commissioner" lost patience and gave up on it after what, 7-8 months of not getting it done?

Welp, here's the confirmation:

But she already looked finished in the last update though...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

A little something random from the Knuckles series and Penders's response to it (placing it in a spoiler tag just in case, so if one does not want to be spoiled, feel free to ignore). That being said:

Spoiler

kens-reaction-to-his-cameo-v0-xklkynmds3

kens-reaction-to-his-cameo-v0-pez6vxris3

To me, it looks like they are just trying to get a rise out of the man, but that appears to be it. And yes, he appears to still be using Xitter...

• Absolutely 2

Well, I'm pleased he's not making a big deal about this, though not surprised that there are people on the internet trying to bait him.

• Absolutely 3

Doesn't look like he was @'d does that mean he was activly looking for being mentioned?

I wouldn't be surprised he search for his name, it's kinda something that would check with the rest. Now here it doesn't seems that intelligent of a discussion, but it seems more that they were discussing about him more than toward him.

Edited by Kazhnuz

7 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

I wouldn't be surprised he search for his name, it's kinda something that would check with the rest. Now here it doesn't seems that intelligent of a discussion, but it seems more that they were discussing about him more than toward him.

Yeah, it seems like that, though doesn't it seem unprofessional for a self-proclaimed "professional" to do something like that, inject himself into a conversation in which he wasn't even tagged in?

Anyway, more on his so-called opinion on the Knuckles series plus a couple of other tidbits (though he is only commenting on what he saw in the trailer, so I think this should be safe to post as non-spoilers):

kens-comment-on-the-knuckles-series-resp

EDIT: For anyone here that has a Xitter account, feel free to check if he responds to the post on the bottom.

Edited by Promethean0416

Does the guy understand different universe's? Characters aren't the same in every interpritation. Knuckles isn't a GUARDIAN in every one man.

• Thumbs Up 4

Late to the party, but on the subject of "Mobius-212"...

It had a canon name. Mobius Prime. Which Ken Penders should have by all rights known about, given how long he'd been working on the book -- heck with it, for all I know that could've been his idea to begin with.

Of course, by this point I don't freaking care what he says about the Archieverse.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Look alive people, there's two fresh updates from Pender's Twitter/X.

First is an update on his "commissioned" piece:

(Why does she look so uncanny?)

And the other is regarding TLSC:

"This would not be possible without the support of the many fans across the globe who pre-ordered a copy." Can someone remind me how many pre-orders he fell short on of his goal of 200?

49 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

Look alive people, there's two fresh updates from Pender's Twitter/X.

First is an update on his "commissioned" piece:

(Why does she look so uncanny?)

And the other is regarding TLSC:

"This would not be possible without the support of the many fans across the globe who pre-ordered a copy." Can someone remind me how many pre-orders he fell short on of his goal of 200?

Oh hey, he finally matched her up from being the only lined character on his "commission" to the Uncanny Valley design that is well known with his work...

...kind of seems lazy though, since all he did was trace over that design he used before when advertising his product.

And regarding how many preorders he did, the last reported number sold was 187, 13 short of his goal of 200. Again, I could be wrong and he could have met his goal, but I imagine he would already have bragged about it if he did.

EDIT: For those that saw this prior to its deletion, I apologize as the earlier "spoiler post" that was here was confirmed to be a fake moments ago. Would have been an amusing reference nonetheless, but so it goes...

And finally, his answer on a recent question from his storytelling update:

Most of these characters will not turn up until later volumes of THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES. That being said, I can’t rule out the possibility of them turning up sooner because the needs of the story demand it, or I find as I’m working on a segment that it’s possible to work in their inclusion. A great example would be in the opening segment that’s featured in BEGINNINGS. I was working on a segment heading towards the cliffhanger when I figured out there was a need for a certain character on as a certain page that prompted me to add that inclusion. Not every situation will be the same, but it shows how even I can surprise myself when working on a story I wrote.

Man can't make up his mind. I am beginning to think he lost that script of his from years ago, bit I digress...

Edited by Promethean0416
Removing spoiler post after confirmation that it was revealed to be fake.
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

On another note (possible spoilers for the Knuckles series):

Hide contents

kx8q8or5z9xc1.jpeg

What's that from?

3 hours ago, The DOMinator said:

What's that from?

Supposedly from one of the episodes of the Knuckles series. I remembered that similar moment from the comics (to my shame) and thought it seemed coincidental.

I will admit that I have not yet watched the series and I cannot confirm or deny if that was from any of the episodes (which is why I said "possible spoilers", but it did catch my eye while I was combing Reddit for updates. Anyway, I can take it down if this is confirmed to be a fake.

EDIT: Confirmed to be fake. Sorry about that.

Edited by Promethean0416
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Supposedly from one of the episodes of the Knuckles series. I remembered that similar moment from the comics (to my shame) and thought it seemed coincidental.

I will admit that I have not yet watched the series and I cannot confirm or deny if that was from any of the episodes (which is why I said "possible spoilers", but it did catch my eye while I was combing Reddit for updates. Anyway, I can take it down if this is confirmed to be a fake.

Yeah, that's not from the show, and I can confirm as I binge watched the series Friday night.  Unfortunately, the show never got that exciting, although, it would've been funny if they had the infamous "Had a bad dream, better microwave the baby" moment though.

Edited by The DOMinator
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

Yeah, that's not from the show, and I can confirm as I binge watched the series Friday night.  Unfortunately, the show never got that exciting, although, it would've been funny if they had the infamous "Had a bad dream, better microwave the baby" moment though.

Thank you for clarifying that. I went ahead and edited my post to reflect that.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm wondering if the bit with Knuckles dad was a vague potshot at Ken.  He has a moustache and glasses like Ken used to have back in the day.

Capture1.JPG

• Chuckle 2

52 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

I'm wondering if the bit with Knuckles dad was a vague potshot at Ken.  He has a moustache and glasses like Ken used to have back in the day.

Capture1.JPG

It's a tempting thought, but I think it's basically a Mark the Tapir situation. Sure, there's overlap with how Ken used to look, but those are stereotypical 'dad' design traits- glasses, mustche, etc. This whole sequence is based on Wade's imagination and the idea, I think, is that since Wade has no idea what Knuckles' father looks like, has conjured up this mental image of Knuckles' father as looking like Knuckles but with 'dad' things.

As I said, its like Mark the Tapir- there are superficial resemblances to a certain infamous individual, but those things are also stereotypical 'nerd' traits/visual cues in general, and sometimes? Sometimes things really are just coincidental.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:41 AM, Promethean0416 said:

Yeah, it seems like that, though doesn't it seem unprofessional for a self-proclaimed "professional" to do something like that, inject himself into a conversation in which he wasn't even tagged in?

Anyway, more on his so-called opinion on the Knuckles series plus a couple of other tidbits (though he is only commenting on what he saw in the trailer, so I think this should be safe to post as non-spoilers):

EDIT: For anyone here that has a Xitter account, feel free to check if he responds to the post on the bottom.

I'm not gonna comment on all of this, but I will say this- I'm really not surprised by him leaving out that he had Kanterovich was a co-writer for the first time Knuckles showed up, and in the original Mini-series that laid the foundations for what would become Knuckles' mythos, given that gassing himself and his work up retroactively is just what he does by this point. And while the Paramount series is not the Knuckles series I ever wanted, Knuckles at least has a solid characterization and at the very least isn't defined by being constantly jerked around while the narrative infers this is something he should be thankful for.

• Thumbs Up 4

And so it seems he has received the proof pages for this book (text on front cover page is still off-center):

https://kenpenders.com/and-now-the-proof-pages/

He also seems to have finally passed 200 pre-orders (congrats, I suppose).

I did a print run of 2000 copies, and just over 200 copies are now spoken for.

Also, it seems he has chosen the previews carefully, though clearly there are still Sega characters on those pages and if the TOC is of any indication, seems that he did not care to acknowledge Sega's ownership of those characters, even keeping one of the chapters "My Dinner with Sonic" intact as seen here (I don't think he means the fast-food joint):

IMG_9319-scaled.jpeg

Also noted is the fact that some of those words are difficult to see due to the lighter colors and "lens flare" on the second page there. And of course, here's a page where he continues to gripe and tell his side of things on storytelling and of course, his legal battle. 

IMG_9321.jpeg

On a couple of other minor notes, he's talking about ordering more badges including a slightly newer design (why?)

And finally, his response to a recent comment from the previous update:

Keep in mind I’m not bound by the restrictions of the comic book format. It doesn’t matter what the page count of a given chapter is as I’m not limited by a 24 or 32-page format. The story is what the story will be, that’s why this is a graphic NOVEL instead of a COMIC BOOK. Regarding the Dark Legion, I figured since I was updating all aspects of the characters along with Echyd’nya society, the Dark Legion needed something that reflected their overtly technological societal aspects. If one subscribes to their worldview they’re welcome into the fold. They don’t seek out converts as they prefer true believers. If they were a religion, they’d be Catholic with Dimitri as the first Pope. (As I was raised a Catholic, no matter what my current views are, there is some aspect of me that will always accept their worldview despite my many disagreements with it, which is why you don’t find members of Cyberdark Colony switching allegiance on a dime.)

Um, about that last part, didn't he have a character of his do exactly that or am I missing something here?

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, horridus said:

It's a tempting thought, but I think it's basically a Mark the Tapir situation. Sure, there's overlap with how Ken used to look, but those are stereotypical 'dad' design traits- glasses, mustche, etc. This whole sequence is based on Wade's imagination and the idea, I think, is that since Wade has no idea what Knuckles' father looks like, has conjured up this mental image of Knuckles' father as looking like Knuckles but with 'dad' things.

As I said, its like Mark the Tapir- there are superficial resemblances to a certain infamous individual, but those things are also stereotypical 'nerd' traits/visual cues in general, and sometimes? Sometimes things really are just coincidental.

Still can't help being reminded of this.

images.jpg.780cf8f2fbaa420c0c39bff15c31c767.jpg

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

IMG_9321.jpeg

Am I the only one who kept clicking away from it because they thought they had accidentally highlighted it?

• Thumbs Up 5

11 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Um, about that last part, didn't he have a character of his do exactly that or am I missing something here?

Yeah, Dimitri himself ironically enough. While it was justified as a result of him basically being free of the Chaos energy that had made him a nutcase as Enerjak, Dimitri turning over a new leaf was a sudden and out of the blue development given that he had been a blatant megalomaniac in every appearance before then, whether as Enerjak or as Dimitri proper. Heck, Ken overtly compared the Legion to Nazis in that inane election storyline before deciding that 'oh actually they have a legitimate point you need to understand their perspective lol'. Dimitri's face turn was mostly done to facilitate Knuckles inexplicably deciding to trust the Legion during the whole Chaos Knuckles thing despite having zero hint before then that they were anything other than a pack of power hungry techno-cultist terrorists. So, that's two characters switching allegiance/worldview on a dime.

Also, looking at the rest of the statement... what version of Catholicism was he raised on? Last I checked, all major branches of Christianity actively seek out converts and are happy to have them. At no point did the Legion under Penders ever seek out non-Echdina to join their ranks or even entertain the idea. This comparison is... deeply nonsensical, and flies in the face of what Penders himself depicted.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, horridus said:

Also, looking at the rest of the statement... what version of Catholicism was he raised on? Last I checked, all major branches of Christianity actively seek out converts and are happy to have them. At no point did the Legion under Penders ever seek out non-Echdina to join their ranks or even entertain the idea. This comparison is... deeply nonsensical, and flies in the face of what Penders himself depicted.

I think we've already firmly established that Ken Penders does not have an accurate perception of reality. This is just basic fact by now. I feel terrible having to say this about any human being, but the evidence supports it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Copyright law needs to be abolished. I personally feel that everything should be in the public domain. The fans are already using Penders stuff in a better way(Archie Sonic Online)then Penders ever will.

2 hours ago, Mangoaxe5 said:

Copyright law needs to be abolished. I personally feel that everything should be in the public domain. The fans are already using Penders stuff in a better way(Archie Sonic Online)then Penders ever will.

Not at all practical and it will actually cause more problems than it solves, a struggling gifted indie artist will not be able to profit if their work ends up as a successor and not have any royalties and it means that anyone can use their concept of it becomes popular and use it in disrespectful ways that they don’t approve of and it will make it harder to tell the quality official stuff in a market that will end up oversaturated 

Plus authors would suffer as well and it would mean that someone could publish their work word for word without permission and they wouldn’t be owed a penny

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mangoaxe5 said:

I completely agree with this.  Because of copyright law, we don't even get too many crossovers.  It would be nice to see Sonic cross over with other properties at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

To prove my point about low effort works oversaturating the market… think of how many horror works were announced the very date steamboat Willie was in the public domain and think of a world where there are about 17 superman movies released in a year from different people and it would just confuse and alienate people

• Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

and it means that anyone can use their concept of it becomes popular and use it in disrespectful ways that they don’t approve of

A lot of stuff is already used in disrespectful ways. Just type any Sonic character into Rule 34, or go on Deviantart.

All copyright does is get in the way of artistic expression.