Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

58 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Could one of them be a team representing Prime?

I'm pretty sure that everybody working on official Sonic properties want to stay clear of Penders XD

If they want an "evil Sonic", they can create one pretty easily, it's one of the most common tropes that exists, and they are a lot of versions of this tropes that haven't been used yet (and honestly, if I would be them (which mean that it's JUST my opinion) and that I wanted an evil Sonic, I would avoid Scourge especially now that Surge is here : the resemblance of name and appearance would be detrimental IMO. If they want an "evil Sonic" for their show, they should give him a new appearence/name to be clear of all that.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, honestly, if anything, Surge could prove to be a good enough expy to use.

Or at least she shows how easy it is to make a new evil Sonic without having to kowtow to Penders. 

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Yeah, no. That's more so wishful thinking.

First off, Ken owns the character of an Evil Sonic that eventually became Scourge. He does not own the concept by a long shot.

Secondly,  the demand for Scourge is not that great that a big official team working on an actual Sonic project would come crawling down on Penders' level to ask him permission. 

Third, I highly doubt that a team that was also relying on a patreon page would've outbid the team working on this show.

Fourth, even if they did, do you really think that Ken's who would have him pass off on the chance to be able to boast that a tv company came to him to license out the character on a tv show which tends to get more coverage than a comic?

Fifth and finally. He could easily have just given out different licenses. One for television rights and the other for comics, of what you suggest was the case.

Don't forget sixth, and possibly most importantly: SEGA would probably veto the hell out of that idea.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Yeah, honestly, if anything, Surge could prove to be a good enough expy to use.

Or at least she shows how easy it is to make a new evil Sonic without having to kowtow to Penders. 

I agree that they don't have to use Scourge at this point, especially now that they got Surge to be a good enough replacement.  This would prevent SEGA with having to deal with Penders in regards to using Scourge, which at this point, it's not really necessary to use Scourge in the current comics.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I agree that they don't have to use Scourge at this point, especially now that they got Surge to be a good enough replacement.  This would prevent SEGA with having to deal with Penders in regards to using Scourge, which at this point, it's not really necessary to use Scourge in the current comics.

Surge really doesn't feel enough like an "evil sonic", so It'd probably just be best to make a new character, or even bring back something like Cinos or Fleetway/dark Super Sonic

• Thumbs Up 4

13 hours ago, Demon Slayer Ultima said:

It seems like that Rush comic website has been privated. Even though it was the scourge comic that got scrapped.

Boy. The future of Penders Brand is looking pretty bright around now. NOTHING draws potential licenseees like 'The last company to associate with me went into lockdown a few days after making its relationship with me public!'. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, horridus said:

Boy. The future of Penders Brand is looking pretty bright around now. NOTHING draws potential licenseees like 'The last company to associate with me went into lockdown a few days after making its relationship with me public!'. 

It's like anybody who tries to associate themselves with Penders has their careers go down in flames.  I can see why SEGA doesn't want anything to do with him anymore.

• Thumbs Up 5

The Penders association is more something that just pisses off Sonic fans because he's a self-important jackass that has a lot to do with what happened to the Archie comic (Archie themselves also having a lot to do with what happened), and he never shut up and left even after getting what he wanted.

At the end of the day, all he did was provide a spotlight and a platform for smaller creators who had no following prior but also appeared to be unsavory in general. I think the project/team would've gotten a very similar response even if they were squeaky clean (far less harsh and probably more focused on the inane fact that Penders is doing this at all), but the Rush team made it clear they couldn't deal with the heat when questioned on their past works and the artist's apparent leanings.

• Thumbs Up 5

Another update from TKP - it turns out that the supposed first deal in regards to Scourge was in fact an elaborate lie told to TKP, and as such, she's removed it from the summary and apologised:

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668521592300748800/hi-everyone-this-post-has-been-updated-to-remove

Hi everyone. This post has been updated to remove the section discussing the rumor about the other Scourge licensing deal that I had been privately contacted about in October, as that’s ended up being an elaborate lie. None of that ever actually happened. I’m very, very sorry for adding to the confusion

Everything else here should still be accurate, though, as it’s based on publicly available information

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Another update from TKP - it turns out that the supposed first deal in regards to Scourge was in fact an elaborate lie told to TKP, and as such, she's removed it from the summary and apologised:

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668521592300748800/hi-everyone-this-post-has-been-updated-to-remove

God help us if that was lie made by you-know-who just to make Ken's licenscing seem more valuable and sought after than it really is.

I'm more surprised that no one brought this up already (unless it took a while and I missed it while flipping back) than I am that he did this.

Bringing it up because I bet he's interested in making his own crypto. Something about owning art that other people buy URLs to see just seems like something he'd be into.

Wonder what he'd call them, though? Echidollars? Ecoi'nyas? Floating Island Funny Money? SoNFT the Hedgefunds? Mobiums?

• Thumbs Up 4

Free NFTs? I don't believe that. It's just art they're giving out isn't it?

Because NFTs have something called a "Gas fee" that you need to pay if you post one. From what I understand, they're expensive and fluctuate with the value of the market.

Also a lot of people think NFTs are a get rich quick type deal, but there is a bunch floating around and few get purchase.

If Penders ever goes into NFTs, I can only see a really obsessed fan paying for one.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, AlienBunny said:

If Penders ever goes into NFTs, I can only see a really obsessed fan paying for one.

Guess he's either in luck or making the right play, if he does, because I'm pretty sure those are the only fans he has left.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Considering the lie includes that he scammed a previous group, it's more than likely someone just making shit up to rile up the Sonic fanbase against someone many of them already have legitimate reasons not to like. This isn't actually new with Penders, and I don't know how after all this time people feel it necessary to make up things when there's so many actual things he's said and done to reference.

If you can believe it, apparently it’s both more complicated and even sillier than just trying to rile people up:

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668536001726234624/im-biting-my-tongue-and-its-honestly-not-worth

I’m biting my tongue and it’s honestly not worth getting into, but believe me when I say that the story behind the nonexistent Scourge licensing deal that got passed on to me is extremely asinine, but also not as simple as “a Sonic fan showed up in my inbox and made up some shit about Penders for the millionth time.” It’s deeply stupid. There’s teen drama involved, somehow

I am so tired

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

I'm more surprised that no one brought this up already (unless it took a while and I missed it while flipping back) than I am that he did this.

Bringing it up because I bet he's interested in making his own crypto. Something about owning art that other people buy URLs to see just seems like something he'd be into.

Wonder what he'd call them, though? Echidollars? Ecoi'nyas? Floating Island Funny Money? SoNFT the Hedgefunds? Mobiums?

This sounds like the type of post that'd send me to a sketchy website asking me to fill out my credit card info.

• Chuckle 2

In fairness this is probably an auto-post because he might have linked his Twitter to the DC thing. I mean, it's kind of stupid because people who get into NFTs start talking like bots selling a timeshare anyway, but that's probably not what's happening.

8 hours ago, AlienBunny said:

Also a lot of people think NFTs are a get rich quick type deal, but there is a bunch floating around and few get purchase.

It's got nothing but marketing hype trying to push it (to the point I've seen artist accounts hacked by these idiots). I visited a website that sells them once when I was hearing about artists' work being stolen (and there is a lot of that), just randomly searched "Sonic" in case an old zine piece of mine was in there and the search was flooded with stolen game assets, fan art, fucking Sonichu, and other things. There is no value behind these stupid hyperlinks (you do not own the art; you own an instance of it that's stored on a server).

edit: the more I think about it, this is pretty off-topic, never mind it's a month old. It's not worth discussing beyond "NFT's bad" unless he starts linking LSC to the crypto space. Which at most I just have to give a sigh and shrug of my shoulders if a creator willingly goes into them versus all the scams and hacking other artists have had to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

In fairness this is probably an auto-post because he might have linked his Twitter to the DC thing. I mean, it's kind of stupid because people who get into NFTs start talking like bots selling a timeshare anyway, but that's probably not what's happening.

It's got nothing but marketing hype trying to push it (to the point I've seen artist accounts hacked by these idiots). I visited a website that sells them once when I was hearing about artists' work being stolen (and there is a lot of that), just randomly searched "Sonic" in case an old zine piece of mine was in there and the search was flooded with stolen game assets, fan art, fucking Sonichu, and other things. There is no value behind these stupid hyperlinks (you do not own the art; you own an instance of it that's stored on a server).

edit: the more I think about it, this is pretty off-topic, never mind it's a month old. It's not worth discussing beyond "NFT's bad" unless he starts linking LSC to the crypto space. Which at most I just have to give a sigh and shrug of my shoulders if a creator willingly goes into them versus all the scams and hacking other artists have had to deal with.

I've been trying to figure out for awhile about why many people don't like NFTs.  What's so bad about them?  Sorry, I'm not that familiar with NFTs.

You don't actually own the art and worse yet they are very bad for the environment.

Also it seems Ken is looking to relaunch his website.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

You don't actually own the art and worse yet they are very bad for the environment.

Also it seems Ken is looking to relaunch his website.

Ah, I see.  Don't know why NFTs exist then.  I never even knew that Penders had a website.

• Thumbs Up 2