Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

10 minutes ago, horridus said:

That's because Penders basically ignored them after they were introduced. He was too busy focusing on the Knuckles stories to give them the Penders Parent Treatment, and so, others developed them. And while they might not have particularly stood out, it spared Jules from becoming Hedgehog-Locke at the very least. 

I'm not sure if it was on his old forum or elsewhere but I remember reading his plans for Knuckles were originally intended for Sonic, but Sega was more strict about Sonic's image than they were with Knux so that's probably why.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

I can already imagine Penders would have had Uncle Chuck experimenting on Sonic with Jules blessing which caused him to get his sonic speed.

It is important to keep in mind that at least some of the stuff done for Knuckles was originally intended for Sonic. Penders has gone on record before saying he had several ideas in mind for Sonic that went to Knuckles because SEGA wouldn't approve them in the context of Sonic going through them, but would when it came to Knuckles since he wasn't the headlining character back then.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm not sure if it was on his old forum or elsewhere but I remember reading his plans for Knuckles were originally intended for Sonic, but Sega was more strict about Sonic's image than they were with Knux so that's probably why.

Oh? I wonder if that's why Knuckles became Kenny Boy's favorite pet project.

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Oh? I wonder if that's why Knuckles became Kenny Boy's favorite pet project.

That's exactly why he did. Despite the pre-established elements of Knuckles and the echidnas from Sonic 3, Penders saw Knuckles only as a blank canvas that SEGA would let him run free with, and run free with it he did. There's a good reason he had a hissy fit when Bollers decided to make Angel Island and the Echidnas more game like in Return to Angel Island.

• Thumbs Up 5

41 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's exactly why he did. Despite the pre-established elements of Knuckles and the echidnas from Sonic 3, Penders saw Knuckles only as a blank canvas that SEGA would let him run free with, and run free with it he did. There's a good reason he had a hissy fit when Bollers decided to make Angel Island and the Echidnas more game like in Return to Angel Island.

What's funnier about this is Penders was not even the first person to start building on Knuckles when he was introduced into the comics. Gallagher was by way of Athair, who was far more attuned to what you would think of with Knuckles (particularly the mysticism of the Chaos Emeralds and the Ancient Walkers), and Penders basically had to paint Athair as a bad person in Knuckles's eyes when he slapped Star Trek and old Superman lore into the comic.

And I say this as someone who likes a lot of the weird shit that was done, but it's really some of the most basic, undeveloped pop sci-fi that was thrown in just because it's the kind of thing he liked. No consideration for how it fit. If Gabrie and Sega actually cared back then, I'm not sure the Knuckles series would have even happened after "End Game."

EDIT: I might have misspoken since Penders did start poking at Knuckles's past in the Sonic & Knuckles special with Archimedes testing Knux, but I honestly forgot the timeline (the Tails mini was just a bit after). But it's pretty obvious the two writers were off in their own separate worlds because there never appears to have been any communication between creatives and editorial until Pellerito took over.

• Thumbs Up 6

32 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

What's funnier about this is Penders was not even the first person to start building on Knuckles when he was introduced into the comics. Gallagher was by way of Athair, who was far more attuned to what you would think of with Knuckles (particularly the mysticism of the Chaos Emeralds and the Ancient Walkers), and Penders basically had to paint Athair as a bad person in Knuckles's eyes when he slapped Star Trek and old Superman lore into the comic.

And I say this as someone who likes a lot of the weird shit that was done, but it's really some of the most basic, undeveloped pop sci-fi that was thrown in just because it's the kind of thing he liked. If Gabrie and Sega actually cared back then, I'm not sure the Knuckles series would have even happened after "End Game."

To be fair, I could certainly still see the Knuckles comic happen either way, Knuckles was the big new character following Sonic 3 and had a pretty big following in the 90s from what I know, (Which explains the success of the comic in the first place). That said, I imagine if SEGA/Gabrie cared however, the series we would have gotten would be far different, and held to a much tighter leash. Hell, if Penders didn't get the free reign he initially wanted, Bollers could've been writing it for all we know.

12 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:
16 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

And I say this as someone who likes a lot of the weird shit that was done, but it's really some of the most basic, undeveloped pop sci-fi that was thrown in just because it's the kind of thing he liked. If Gabrie and Sega actually cared back then, I'm not sure the Knuckles series would have even happened after "End Game."

Expand  

To be fair, I could certainly still see the Knuckles comic happen either way, Knuckles was the big new character following Sonic 3 and had a pretty big following in the 90s from what I recall (Which explains the success of the comic in the first place). That said, I imagine if SEGA/Gabrie cared however, the series we would have gotten would be far different, and held to a much tighter leash. Hell, if Penders didn't get the free reign he initially wanted, Bollers could've been writing it for all we know.

So all this talk that Penders spouts about Knuckles being a more deeper and interesting character than Sonic to begin with, is essentially just his own personal fellatio-sporting sessions to sooth his own ego to high heaven.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

So all this talk that Penders spouts about Knuckles being a more deeper and interesting character than Sonic to begin with, is essentially just his own personal fellatio-sporting sessions to sooth his own ego to high heaven.

Always has been. Penders never cared about Knuckles as he was, merely the character he was able to shape him into. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, Penders just made this tweet in regards to Sonic:

Like, he makes an interesting point…only to jump off Mt. Everest with nonsense.

Like parental figures are cool and all, but going from Archie Sonic to Lord of the Flies is a big ass jump of “wut da fuq?”

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, horridus said:

Always has been. Penders never cared about Knuckles as he was, merely the character he was able to shape him into. 

Yeah, that applies to his view on Sonic in general. The only part of the series that matters to him is the small part he was able to shape. Which is now gone, because of him.

• Thumbs Up 4

Part of me is...disappointed that the Scourge comic was canned. I didn't expect it to be good, but at least it'd be something funny to laugh about; Penders has been procrastinating on giving us exactly that for so long that I legitimately don't care about Lara-Su anymore. I already feel nothing whenever he gives us a rare update. Three years from now when he posts the next panel or whatever I'll feel less than nothing about it somehow.

It's like the eight deadly words to hear from the audience regarding characters in a story ("I don't care what happens to these people.") but applied to an entire work even existing at all. lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 5

45 minutes ago, Demon Slayer Ultima said:

Uh-

Penders is also saying that the only deal made in regards to Scourge was the deal with Rush, and that’s it, so who knows what’s going on with the supposed first team that TKP mentioned.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Penders is also saying that the only deal made in regards to Scourge was the deal with Rush, and that’s it, so who knows what’s going on with the supposed first team that TKP mentioned.

Shoot, now that the whole project has caved in, wonder if Ken's still even gonna get paid.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Demon Slayer Ultima said:

Uh-

Am I missing something or isn't this obvious? Though to give Penders some backhanded credit there's a lot of erroneous stuff people believe about him, which is unfortunate when the stuff that's firmly true is already sometimes hard to believe.

Him saying that the announced comic was the only deal is interesting though. I didn't put much stock into the rumour there was another one beforehand, sounded like something someone could just kind of make up.

• Thumbs Up 4

In fairness, Ken could also just be lying. But yeah, I'd have to bet there's only so many people willing to give him that much money in the first place, much less for the same character.

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

In fairness, Ken could also just be lying. But yeah, I'd have to bet there's only so many people willing to give him that much money in the first place, much less for the same character.

I wonder if the people who were making the Scourge comic are going to get their money back?

11 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wonder if the people who were making the Scourge comic are going to get their money back?

"Why? I didn't decide not to do the comic."

• Thumbs Up 6

19 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

"Why? I didn't decide not to do the comic."

Oh, I thought they bought the rights from Penders or something like that.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Oh, I thought they bought the rights from Penders or something like that.

Apparently that's a misconception that's going around. They paid a licensing fee to Penders to make a comic book about Scourge, much like how Archie paid a licensing fee to SEGA to make a comic book about Sonic.

Incidentally, in cases like the latter, if you stop making the book before the duration of the licensing contract is complete, I don't think that, for instance, Archie would be refunded the difference. As such, I wouldn't expect Penders to operate differently unless he's feeling especially charitable about it.

• Thumbs Up 6

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668408799676252160/scourge-the-speed-demon-a-summary

Thanks Ken Penders did a summary of the situation regarding the Speed Demon comic, as well as providing more info about the alleged first deal, with a screencap regarding it. Again, in regards to the first deal, it's worth taking it with a grain of salt as TKP is a thirdhand source on the matter.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/668408799676252160/scourge-the-speed-demon-a-summary

Thanks Ken Penders did a summary of the situation regarding the Speed Demon comic, as well as providing more info about the alleged first deal, with a screencap regarding it. Again, in regards to the first deal, it's worth taking it with a grain of salt as TKP is a thirdhand source on the matter.

I do wonder who the "other interested parties" really are. Could one of them be a team representing Prime? Netflix and WildBrain probably wouldn't be able to use Archie's exact world/plot, but that hasn't stopped Hollywood from cashing in on beloved comic book legacies anyway. (See: most of the MCU, Nolan's Batman trilogy, Sony's continued attempts to make Spidey spinoffs no one wants, etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

I do wonder who the "other interested parties" really are. Could one of them be a team representing Prime? Netflix and WildBrain probably wouldn't be able to use Archie's exact world/plot, but that hasn't stopped Hollywood from cashing in on beloved comic book legacies anyway. (See: most of the MCU, Nolan's Batman trilogy, Sony's continued attempts to make Spidey spinoffs no one wants, etc.)

Yeah, no. That's more so wishful thinking.

First off, Ken owns the character of an Evil Sonic that eventually became Scourge. He does not own the concept by a long shot.

Secondly,  the demand for Scourge is not that great that a big official team working on an actual Sonic project would come crawling down on Penders' level to ask him permission. 

Third, I highly doubt that a team that was also relying on a patreon page would've outbid the team working on this show.

Fourth, even if they did, do you really think that Ken's ego would have him pass off on the chance to be able to boast that a tv company came to him to license out the character on a tv show which tends to get more coverage than a comic?

Fifth and finally. He could easily have just given out different licenses. One for television rights and the other for comics, of what you suggest was the case.

• Thumbs Up 8