Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Again, sorry. I fixed those posts, so you can see Pen's glorious writing and artwork with ease. L:

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about the Sonic Adventure post above! But yeah, I can see those. :)

That it looks like Gamma is 100% a coincidence. It's a robot that was created back in 'ancient' human times. So that it looks exactly like Gamma is a pretty bizarre coincidence/lazy/poorly thought out character design.

Also, that obsession with nukes- they keep popping up in KP works like he worships them or something. And didn't Robotropolis get hit by nukes once? Like in the Mecha Sonic special, I believe? Why is Rotor suddenly like "I LEARNED ABOUT THESE IN STUDIES OF ANCIENT DIAGRAMS"- man you've seen them in real life. But hey they've 'never used' guns either so hey what ev.

• Thumbs Up 2

Again, sorry. I fixed those posts, so you can see Pen's glorious writing and artwork with ease. L:

I think Karl did more with Lien-Da during Return to Angel Island than Pen did in the some odd years from when he made her. At least she was a leader of a Dark Legion chapter.

But Ian made her more interesting, even when her character was basically blackmailed into working with the Dark Egg Legion, and Eggman outright told her her lack of trustworthiness made her competent, kinda like Snively before Scrambled.

But then again, Pen did say that he'd undo all that and have his DL scramble Eggman for breakfast. Because of what his fans told him; he never read a single issue of Ian's work, obviously. So he says.

Actually... did Pen actually create any other villainous female characters than Lien-Da? I know he wanted to make Sally's Mom into a roboticized tyrant of a kingdom for Sally's mini during the planning stages (which became Antoine's father's introduction), but the only one I can think of making it into the book was that sorceress from when Knuckles searched for the Sword of Acorns.

And incompetents/shades of gray but semi-heroics like Gayla-Na don't count.

Okay, I must ask: what's the story behind that gold Gamma expy? According to the comic's adaptation of Sonic Adventure, the original article apparently never got terminated, so why bring this thing here?

Yeah, that's Isaac. Isaac was introduced during the very last Penders run, when things got *unbelievably* stupid. I'd heard rumor that Isaac's design was the end result of last minute desperation or something, and I can only hope that that's the case. Isaac was from the Pre-Xorda Earth, a creation of a guy called Ivan Kintobor, whom Penders was evidently shaping up to become a major villain... oh, dig this; Ivan was born 6/6/06. Yes, Penders REALLY went there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Argh that Tikal story always annoyed me in the SA1 adaptation because her look kept bloody changing! She looks pretty close to the game version a few panels in, but then it suddenly changes again to an echidna with bangs! Don't even get me started on the weird looking Chao.

Argh that Tikal story always annoyed me in the SA1 adaptation because her look kept bloody changing! She looks pretty close to the game version a few panels in, but then it suddenly changes again to an echidna with bangs! Don't even get me started on the weird looking Chao.

Yeah, she changed on the exact same page. On the top panel she looked like a red Julie-su, but then she changed to her SA1 style just a few panels away. It really showed how much the artist cared. 

My only explanation for an in-universe reason why Issac looked like Gamma was because his designer was Kintobor, a human ancestor of Robotnik/Eggman who Pen probably was setting up a new replacement villain, and that design was passed down through genetic memeory or some warped morphogenetic field which is why that whole family has at least on genius every generation or two.

But that is so incredibly stupid, it just might have been what Pen was going for.

• Thumbs Up 3

My only explanation for an in-universe reason why Issac looked like Gamma was because his designer was Kintobor, a human ancestor of Robotnik/Eggman who Pen probably was setting up a new replacement villain, and that design was passed down through genetic memeory or some warped morphogenetic field which is why that whole family has at least on genius every generation or two.

But that is so incredibly stupid, it just might have been what Pen was going for.

I'm fairly certain that Ivan Kintobor was indeed intended as a replacement villain, to which I am once again left wondering why he was so dead set on Robotnik/Eggman not being the villain... when I can not see how in any way Ivan Kintobor was going to be much different on any level. It's redundant. It's been done. He wanted to replace Eggman with... HIS Eggman, basically. 

It's insane. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm fairly certain that Ivan Kintobor was indeed intended as a replacement villain, to which I am once again left wondering why he was so dead set on Robotnik/Eggman not being the villain... when I can not see how in any way Ivan Kintobor was going to be much different on any level. It's redundant. It's been done. He wanted to replace Eggman with... HIS Eggman, basically. 

It's insane. 

Actually, when you consider his whole "the-original-creators-are-the-only-ones-who-matter" bullshit, it weirdly makes sense.  

He just doesn't like using other peoples' characters.

• Thumbs Up 7

Which makes you wonder just why he didn't bother bringing Dr. Droid back, given this was after Lost Ones tanked anyways. Unless he was specifically barred from doing so, or he was adamamant that Droid couldn't be divorced from LO's... despite admitting he'd long since planned for him being a Robotnik alternate and was going to use him for 20YL (which only never happened since the Super Special line tanked after stuff like Sally McAcorn and Naugus Games).

• Thumbs Up 2

Which makes you wonder just why he didn't bother bringing Dr. Droid back, given this was after Lost Ones tanked anyways. Unless he was specifically barred from doing so, or he was adamamant that Droid couldn't be divorced from LO's... despite admitting he'd long since planned for him being a Robotnik alternate and was going to use him for 20YL (which only never happened since the Super Special line tanked after stuff like Sally McAcorn and Naugus Games).

I'm betting the contracts that everyone thought were in effect at the time kept Droid out of the picture. Everything Image publishes is creator-owned, which also went for the Lost Ones, and if SEGA didn't think they could exercise any rights over the character, even though he is all but explicitly stated to be an alternate universe Eggman/Robotnik, they wouldn't allow it. I honestly think if Pen thought he could get away with it, and retained his rights, he would've put Droid in right after "Parallel Paradigm".

Actually, when you consider his whole "the-original-creators-are-the-only-ones-who-matter" bullshit, it weirdly makes sense.  

He just doesn't like using other peoples' characters.

It really does make a lot of sense... It also makes one wonder why he was working on a licensed comic book in the first place if he was so unwilling to work with the established cast. He should've just done creator-owned work on the side of his Sonic work. Instead he latched onto Sonic and tried to make it his, and tended to disregard anything that wasn't his. I know it's hard, but come on. If Flynn, a supposedly lesser writer, can juggle four licensed books, and still write other stuff on the side, including his new Patreon project, Penders has no excuse.

I still find it bizarre, but not at all surprising, that the established cast is somehow redundant to his own creations, when they fill the exact same roles. While I personally have no problem with more than one character doing the same thing or similar things, it's how they're written and how they approach that role that makes them interesting. Pen just wanted to replace anyone he thought he could get away with. It seems the editor at least prevented any of the established cast, like Sally, from getting the kibosh, and if Pen was going to be allowed to kill off the game characters, SEGA would force him to make them temporary and guarantee they return as they were, like with Robotnik and Knuckles. They at least did that much considering they barely cared about the book until the Sonic Heroes era.

It really does make a lot of sense... It also makes one wonder why he was working on a licensed comic book in the first place if he was so unwilling to work with the established cast. He should've just done creator-owned work on the side of his Sonic work.

He knows that he has no talent and can only succeed via piggybacking on something popular and everything he's said nowadays is him in sheer denial of his own incompetence.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still find it bizarre, but not at all surprising, that the established cast is somehow redundant to his own creations, when they fill the exact same roles. While I personally have no problem with more than one character doing the same thing or similar things, it's how they're written and how they approach that role that makes them interesting. Pen just wanted to replace anyone he thought he could get away with. It seems the editor at least prevented any of the established cast, like Sally, from getting the kibosh, and if Pen was going to be allowed to kill off the game characters, SEGA would force him to make them temporary and guarantee they return as they were, like with Robotnik and Knuckles. They at least did that much considering they barely cared about the book until the Sonic Heroes era.

It makes me wonder how frightening the the comic would be today if Penders was allowed to do absolutely whatever he wanted, and the editors and no one else could do anything to stop him.

There would probably be established characters (SATAM and game) being dropped left and right, replaced by his own bland caricatures which have the exact same purpose while being ten times more annoying, bland, and uncharismatic. 

It's insane. 

I know that Dr. Droid was supposed to replace Robotnik Prime. But I always thought that Ivan Kintobor was just going to be a big event one off villain (Like A.D.A.M.).

It makes me wonder how frightening the the comic would be today if Penders was allowed to do absolutely whatever he wanted, and the editors and no one else could do anything to stop him.

There would probably be established characters (SATAM and game) being dropped left and right, replaced by his own bland caricatures which have the exact same purpose while being ten times more annoying, bland, and uncharismatic. 

Everything will be in 60s-80s slang, women will all be stereotypical idiots that occasionally get killed to prove Penders' "feminist" ideals, everything in the dialogue will be akin to robot speak, everyone would praise Penders the Echidna in universe as the world becomes a fascist Echidna regime under the guise of a democracy...

...I can't think of anything else. Got anything I missed?

• Thumbs Up 2

Everything will be in 60s-80s slang, women will all be stereotypical idiots that occasionally get killed to prove Penders' "feminist" ideals, everything in the dialogue will be akin to robot speak, everyone would praise Penders the Echidna in universe as the world becomes a fascist Echidna regime under the guise of a democracy...

...I can't think of anything else. Got anything I missed?

There will be wandering around and thinking to yourself. Lots and lots of wandering around and thinking to yourself. 

And every other word will be bolded. No exceptions. 

There will be wandering around and thinking to yourself. Lots and lots of wandering around and thinking to yourself. 

Oh, and there will be "homages" to Star Wars and Star Trek stuff even though they're actually rip-offs.

Oh, and there will be "homages" to Star Wars and Star Trek stuff even though they're actually rip-offs.

And when people find out their rip-offs, it will never be Penders' fault. He will have a secret stash of editors and staff that he can put the blame on whenever something goes wrong. 

Yeah, she changed on the exact same page. On the top panel she looked like a red Julie-su, but then she changed to her SA1 style just a few panels away. It really showed how much the artist cared. 

I heard a rumor (key word, rumor) that the reason why Tikal had a red Julie-Su look is because that was the design of a character Pendejo had wanted to reuse that he repurposed for it. But as he didn't illustrate the issue, I have no idea if there's any weight to that.

But yeah seriously her design changes three times, including a couple panels where she looked like a male echidna with eyelashes.

The only reason I imagine it didn't get that far was because Karl Bollers was the lead writer for the bulk of post-End Game material up until after Pellerito became editor. Pen stuck with Knuckles until that book was cancelled, and mostly did back-ups, only trading in and collaborating on bigger stories once in a while. By the time Future Mobius got to be a thing, he had actually stated he was fine staying in his own playground while Bollers did whatever in the current timeline. It only became a mess when Bollers went and eliminated most of the dead weight Echidna and Fire Ants and Pen was trying to restore everything to this pristine utopia of his when he became the lead again. Had it not been for Pellerito, who, unlike Gabrie, actually told Pen no once in a while and looked for ways to actually improve the book, it very well could have gotten to that point.

I heard a rumor (key word, rumor) that the reason why Tikal had a red Julie-Su look is because that was the design of a character Pendejo had wanted to reuse that he repurposed for it. But as he didn't illustrate the issue, I have no idea if there's any weight to that.

But yeah seriously her design changes three times, including a couple panels where she looked like a male echidna with eyelashes.

That's actually pretty interesting if true. But yeah, since Pen didn't illustrate these stories... I honestly have no idea how Butler couldn't keep her consistent. That is weird.