Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Oh-ho. Oh-ho boy. Pen has been kind enough to give us some insight into what a 'Dagon' is. On the one hand, it's not JUST a dagger. On the other hand... it's even dumber. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/603309346953437185

Even by the standards of bullshit sci-fi and fantasy weapons, that doesn't begin to make sense. 

A Dagon is best described as a bow with an aerodynamic hunting knife instead of an arrow, easily adapted to hand-to-hand combat

Lemme get this straight.

We're gonna see Lara-Su do something like this-

tumblr_inline_np2ajiF8Qw1tuyh1j_500.png

Instead of doing something like this-

tumblr_inline_np2ajdwZei1tuyh1j_1280.png

Or (dare I say it)-

tumblr_inline_np2ajaMaPC1tuyh1j_1280.jpg

THIS?! (That's supposed to be Xero)

Inspiration:

Shooting daggers with a bow...

tumblr_no7mv3sgPa1u5cb23o1_400.gif

Izzat even possible?

EDIT: Oh hey! We reached 201 pages!

And that's saying something.

Sometimes... I see things this man say, and I have no idea what gigantic leaps in logic he has to take to lie to make himself seem important.

Even if that was what he was trying to do, it only served to make the book more of a joke because that's absolutely not what friggin' Sonic the Hedgehog is about.

Jesus Christ, everytime this man spews his garbage all over his Twitter, I feel like Will Ferrel in Zoolander, and that I'm taking crazy pills! I... lklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklkl

I nearly just f*cking broke my keyboard, for real. Holy crap.

What. Is he shitting us? He may be thinking of developing a video game based on his shitty comic? This has to be some kind of joke.

That game would be worse than Hong Kong 97, Big Rigs, and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties put together, and would have a sales number of zero.

Speaking of another universe...

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/603842946606170112

I can't help but giggle at this. "I don't rule that out as a future project"? Dude. Release the book first. See if people want it (they won't). Stop considering what might be and focus on what you have to do NOW. Sheesh.

"PEOPLE DON'T PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR THE STORY! BUT THEY WILL IF IT'S ONE OF MY STORIES!"

Is it wrong that I sorta feel like LSC is Mighty No. 9's evil twin?

Speaking of another universe...

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/603842946606170112

I can't help but giggle at this. "I don't rule that out as a future project"? Dude. Release the book first. See if people want it (they won't). Stop considering what might be and focus on what you have to do NOW. Sheesh.

This just continues to show Penders distain for Comics. He doesn't see Comics as a medium that can be enjoyed on it's own merits he sees Comics as a springboard for other mediums. As a Comic Fan I find his views on comics absolutely annoying. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Ha. That'd be good for a laugh. Some egotistical idiot without one clue of what makes a game attempting to make a next gen game.

thats strangely and hilariously accurate

"PEOPLE DON'T PLAY VIDEO GAMES FOR THE STORY! BUT THEY WILL IF IT'S ONE OF MY STORIES!"

Nah, that about sums it up rather nicely. 

I can see it now though; it'd be a hilariously, hideously outdated platformer with maybe one or two RPG elements to it, and he'd talk about how it wasn't 'like other games' because it has an 'in depth story' or some nonsense like that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

If he did ever try to get a video game made about Lara-Su, it would either be a complete scam-and-trainwreck likt the Irate Gamer game, or a ripoff of Sonic Chronicles.

But he wont.

Oh, god. I just realized that CHRIS F*CKING BORES has more popularity than Pen does. That should NOT be possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this is the most unproductive post ever, but I was looking at Sonic Super Special 7 which was a shitty crossover with Sonic and Image comics written and inked by Penders.

I found this image which I think is a little strange.

T6CqdDo.png

Just look at their faces. 

Remember, that had to be inked by Penders (and the whole thing was written by him.) He's kinda a creepy dude. 

On a semi related note, all the Super Sonic Specials were boring shit from what I remember. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's The Thing, I do not recall ever seeing anyone consider the Sonic comics to be some kind of epic scifi story, at all. Even when acknowledging that Mobius was 'another planet'.

When he says that he says this:

Way back when I first worked on the series, no one outside the fans took the book seriously, so to counter the perception it was just a "talking curries" (SIC) book, I treated the stories like sci-fi I considered the characters no different from Klingons and Wookies, which fans did take seriously. So I understand why Michael Bay considered that approach.

What he is saying has nothing to do with fans and everything to do with him feeling self conscious about writing and being known for (and only for) writing for an all-ages funny animal book.

He's projecting that people didn't take the book seriously because he didn't.

And I'm basically ignoring him saying that fans did/didn't respect the book, because that just shows how quickly he looses track of a concept he's trying to communicate.

• Thumbs Up 6

You know, the Wookies and Klingons thing makes even less sense when you consider that he never really wrote any of the characters as anything other than short, furry humans. There is nothing about their culture that could be considered unique to them, and nothing about their behavior that is at all explained by their biology or how that impacts their culture. Even the Echidna with their 'soul touch' garbage are not at all impacted by this fact. Wookies and Klingons have developed cultures and different attitudes to things than humans precisely because of how they are; for example, Wookies have claws that let them climb trees because they are arboreal, and their attitude towards using claws in close combat is that it is dishonorable and a sign of madness. Know what that is? That's them actually having an *identity*. 

What identity did any Mobian group really have written under him that wasn't either a handful of cliches or wholesale ripped from the real world? I'm looking at YOU, Aurora. 

Also, going back a few tweets, Penders once claimed that he'd be writing more 'shades of grey' in this book. Now, let us assume that this was somehow more difficult to do in Archie, and that somehow he was TRYING to go for that but wound up stymied by the higher ups (rather than just being a blitheringly incompetent writer). I'm curious as to how he's going to achieve this, given that he's already brushed off complaints about Lien-Da being 'creepy' looking as being because she's the bad guy, and as such is SUPPOSED to look creepy. That alone kinda takes a hefty chunk out of the 'shades of grey' claim right there. 

• Thumbs Up 6

He seems to not be able to actually consider how to portray plain good and evil, let alone shades of gray. If the Brotherhood really were heroes, why would they consider going straight to killing citizens? No sorry, a teenager, who would definitely act like an idiot at Ruban's age but still, they want to outright murder him by throwing him off the island anyway? How fucking hard is it for Ken to understand that killing people in cold blood over stupid things is not a thing heroes do? 

If he claimed they were a group of anti-heroes, maybe you could justify them acting like this, but every fucking chance he gets, he tries to show them off as this massive heroic group that is key to the island's survival, and yet here they are, planning to kill a teenager over a silly bet. A bet that Lara-Su is as guilty of because she was stupid enough to bet away her position.

Let's take another example. Geoffrey. He's meant to be a hero and instead, he straight up forces himself on a 16 year old princess (Every single time he comes in, he always does it by forcing a kiss on Sally. That's not to mention he's confirmed as being at least 21 at that point of time). He constantly attempts to capture or kill Sonic, despite overwhelming evidence that he hasn't done anything wrong, he acts like a general prick around Sonic even when Sonic's trying to save everyone, and there is just so much more.

Penders can't even write someone who is meant to be a fucking hero, let alone having shades of gray.

• Thumbs Up 1

'To be fair', Pendejo has said that the BH aren't necessarily meant to be good and that they're supposed to mirror organizations like the NSA.

'To be fair', Pendejo has said that the BH aren't necessarily meant to be good and that they're supposed to mirror organizations like the NSA.

You see. I could believe that, except in his Lara-Su bio, he explicitly mentioned that the Brotherhood were the sole reason why the world didn't go to complete shit.

You mean he said something and then later went and revealed more info later that showed that what he previously said was a lie?

That's never occurred before.

OR, ALTERNATIVELY, PERHAPS YOU ARE UNIMAGINATIVE, ETC.

Unimaginative or not. If he's going to fuck up story details, I'm going to call him out on it.

Oh but let's not forget the heroic Locke, who microwaved his own son, forced Chaos Abilities on him, fucked off and faked his own death so Knuckles would be alone at age 5, spied on him for years, telling his ant friend to screw with him and kidnap his friends, and hid the fact that the race of people Knuckles thought was dead was in fact alive and well, with his mother being there and happy, again forcing Knuckles to wander around alone, and helpless. 

But in Penders' eyes, Locke is father of the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, but Locke is the best father anyone could ask for! You just don't get good parenting like that anymore!

...Wonder why.

I believe he's defended Locke's actions before, to the point of claiming that Knuckles wasn't left under the impression that his father died, with 'worse things have been done to people, this is nothing really'.

Oh but let's not forget the heroic Locke, who microwaved his own son, forced Chaos Abilities on him, fucked off and faked his own death so Knuckles would be alone at age 5, spied on him for years, telling his ant friend to screw with him and kidnap his friends, and hid the fact that the race of people Knuckles thought was dead was in fact alive and well, with his mother being there and happy, again forcing Knuckles to wander around alone, and helpless. 

But in Penders' eyes, Locke is father of the year.

It's even more hollow an excuse and justification given that he himself wrote a flashback taking place shortly after the Wall of Fire thing that showed Knuckles crying into his bed.

It's okay, Echy'hdy'nndahghef culture is different. This isn't considered child abuse by them.

Can't wait for 'their culture is different' to explain every issue.

Like Lara-Su wearing a string-kini.

Or how their biology is different so it's okay for Julie-su to ride a pasha while pregnant.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, a thought occurred to me: People keep pointing out that the Nocturnus and the Dark Legion aren't nearly as similar as Penders acts (he gives the impression that they're a wholesale rip-off, while in truth they're only inspired by basic concepts but executed very differently). But honestly, I think it's likely that Penders literally doesn't know this. I mean, just think about how much Penders cares about Sonic games: not at all. He probably didn't even bother to look into what the Nocturnus are actually like or what Shade is actually like; more likely someone just told him they were based on his concepts and he assumed they were completely copied.

I mean, I don't know about any of this, but everything I know about KP makes it hard for me to imagine him ever actually looking into the details of a Sonic game.

The other thing about this lawsuit is...it's just so hard to relate to. I mean, if I ever worked on a licensed property and found out that some of my ideas were being used in the original media, I would be excited, not annoyed. I can imagine wanting credit for such a thing, but actually suing them? I just can't imagine why someone would want to do that.

• Thumbs Up 7