Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I do love the justification Ian came up with for Vector's stupid "lingo": it was a desperate attempt to hide his heritage.

But seriously, what is up with those proportions?! Never mind that this issue of an "action-adventure" comic involves Knuckles asking for a date, but Vector looks like a human basketball player with green skin wearing a rubber mask!

And notice how much... detail Ken put on Julie-Su's body. Uggghhhh...

I really hope LSC turns out to be laughably bad instead of horrifying-bad.

I do love the justification Ian came up with for Vector's stupid "lingo": it was a desperate attempt to hide his heritage.

What was his heritage supposed to be?

What was his heritage supposed to be?

He was from Downunda which is basically Australia.

That it? Why was he so desperate to hide his Downunda-ness that he was willing to sound stupid all the time? 

That it? Why was he so desperate to hide his Downunda-ness that he was willing to sound stupid all the time?

I have no idea. Probably just forced drama.

OPO7JE6.png

Is it bad that I found those Vector lines to be incredibly humorous, though? It's not in the intended way, of course, because I'm more or less laughing at how terrible they are, but still.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have no idea. Probably just forced drama.

This was an invention of Flynn actually. To give Vec some backstory, which I think is fine since his teammates were getting fleshed out already.

It unfortunately got thrown into the void thanks to the lawsuit, so no telling how that would've gone. At least Flynn managed to not mangle the dialect when he wrote old Vector.

He was one of a bunch of orphans, and it's implied he did something ro something happened that made him really want to disassociate with them and hide his origins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, those Sonic panels I posted weren't completley bad as I guess they are a bit Jaleel White-ish. 

But can you survive VECTOR !? 

jBwvhkN.jpg

qdBwU6Q.png

kRTvnOQ.png

FmfX6bN.png

aS1H2aa.png

UakZNha.png

aItVBX6.png

AjDb2fx.png

e7qw5yR.png

shlClQf.png

svUehiU.png

FjcHgZA.png

nwVTvO2.png

Jy6GPZc.png

OPO7JE6.png

5cDXJJO.png

XTRtzGc.png

R8Cma6q.png

sSxMtDe.png

742LkdA.png

And as the grand finale... 

98N2UrD.png

I'm scared. 

Vector truly is the whitest crocodile this world's ever seen.

If rhyming was his thing and he was consistent about it, like Roadblock from the old GI Joe cartoons, I'd have been more into it.

19.jpg

This is the full picture. 

You can see Mighty's legs but they look incredibly creepy below his steroids body. 

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH ESPIO (seriously, that's the worst drawn Espio I've ever seen.)

I get the feeling that this forum really doesn't like posting hotlinks from that site.

The Adventure adaptation is especially strange for it wasn't just really terrible because of how awkward it was tried to mesh into the continuity, but also for a lot of it's questionable choices that seemed to be there for no reason, such as Station Square being randomly inside of the Sonic OVA mountain, which I still don't get what they were trying to accomplish with that. 

As you said a lot of the other adaptations were rushed. Just look at the lackluster stories in the Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic Triple Trouble Adaptations. 

SEGASonic and some other adaptations fall into the category of the adaptation having nothing to do with the game it's based on. Sonic Quest was really more about the King than The Death Egg. I find it really surprising that they would just pass up the Death Egg like that, as they had a lot of material to work with and could have made several stories about it (As STC had). 

Flynn has done a great job at trying to seamlessly put the comic and the game continuities together. I was really pleasantly surprised in Issue 271 to see references to other games, especially Sonic 3. 

And to add on what you said about Penders not liking what SEGA was doing, I find it shocking that they let him kill off Robotnik, the main villain of the series, because Penders didn't like him. 

Par for the course, really. The adaptations were the worst, and the series itself barely had anything to do with the source material.

Heck, you can probably use a Badnik Scale for the early days of the comics: The less of the Badniks you see around, the further it strayed from the source material up to Sonic Adventure, maybe. Almost anything else they did include felt more obligatory than anything, like the Sonic 3 elements in that adaptation. Sonic Spinball was probably the best pre-Ian adaptation they ever did.

Was Pen the one who did the 'Mogul created a fake Tails who was around for several issues while the real Turbo Tails got drained' arc? I believe it did since it was tangetically related to the Chaos Knuckles story, but I'm not sure.

And speaking of adaptations, the worst one was probably the Sonic Adventure 2 one. Because they didn't even attempt to do one, it was literally set up for the game. And the mindboggling aspect of it was that it had the balls to say SA2 took place over one night, and that no one knew about it (the half destroyed moon was only background referenced in time for 124-125, the supposed 'sequel' with the Xorda and sh*t. Not even Ian was able to make that feel smooth.

That was all Bollers, tho.

I thought they only had the demo disc and some promo material to work from?

19.jpg

This is the full picture. 

You can see Mighty's legs but they look incredibly creepy below his steroids body. 

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH ESPIO (seriously, that's the worst drawn Espio I've ever seen.)

Rumor is that issue was drawn by a ninja turtles artist, which is why Mighty looks like hes morphing into a TMNT.

Also Vector has a red dick.

Rumor is that issue was drawn by a ninja turtles artist, which is why Mighty looks like hes morphing into a TMNT.

Also Vector has a red dick.

It's not a rumor. Chris Allan was the main artist for TMNT Adventures for the bulk of its run. Believe it or not, he did do a handful of Sonic back-ups that don't look like hot garbage though.

I still wonder what the hell happened when he did this Knuckles story.

I thought they only had the demo disc and some promo material to work from?

That may actually be right. Considering SEGA just wanted the game promoted, it's possible they didn't want Archie to do an arc... but it's kind of a problem what with Shadow and all. Anybody who read the issues leading up to #125 know exactly how Shadow was reintroduced after #98 (before Flynn sort of fixed this in SU#2 a decade later)? I hadn't read that particular issue, but I know Shadow being there really confused me, even when I understood the difference in continuity.

The Mighty and Ray back-ups that ran with this particular storyline was pretty good though (and was illustrated by Manny Galan). I think I re-read it about a year ago, and it's actually one of the few Penders stories from this period that I actually liked. It really is a shocker Penders of all people decided to introduce Ray of all characters. It's not so shocking that to do that, he had to introduce one of his own knock-off creations in the process (Nic, Nack's sister).

Shame that loose SEGASonic arcade storyline didn't just carry an arc in itself, with Knuckles maybe helping Mighty along or something. Or hell, just give the issue to Mighty. There clearly wasn't a problem when Knuckles was missing for three whole issues before (#13-15).

I think that's the only Penders story I can be interested in reading.  It wasn't great, oh God no, but it was a lot better than the crud he was putting us through in the main story.  At least it tried to develop Mighty's character, because let's face it, he didn't really have one before then.  He was always just... there. 

And yeah, I think editorial would've let a Mighty focused arc slide, since they let so much worse happen, but that would mean Penders couldn't focus on his beloved Knuckles.

It's not a rumor. Chris Allan was the main artist for TMNT Adventures for the bulk of its run. Believe it or not, he did do a handful of Sonic back-ups that don't look like hot garbage though.

I still wonder what the hell happened when he did this Knuckles story.

That may actually be right. Considering SEGA just wanted the game promoted, it's possible they didn't want Archie to do an arc... but it's kind of a problem what with Shadow and all. Anybody who read the issues leading up to #125 know exactly how Shadow was reintroduced after #98 (before Flynn sort of fixed this in SU#2 a decade later)? I hadn't read that particular issue, but I know Shadow being there really confused me, even when I understood the difference in continuity.

Yeah, Allan's one of my favorite TMNT artists of all time. I was disappointed to see that this is what he brought to Sonic. But what other issues did he do?

The "IT'S A DATE!" page is emblematic of every single problem Archie Sonic ever had.  Abysmal art, overemphasis on romance, Knuckles clones, hair on top of fur, Knuckles is the centre of attention while Sonic's nowhere to be seen, less than half the characters on the page are from the games.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok, those Sonic panels I posted weren't completley bad as I guess they are a bit Jaleel White-ish. 

But can you survive VECTOR !? 

jBwvhkN.jpg

qdBwU6Q.png

kRTvnOQ.png

FmfX6bN.png

aS1H2aa.png

UakZNha.png

aItVBX6.png

AjDb2fx.png

e7qw5yR.png

shlClQf.png

svUehiU.png

FjcHgZA.png

nwVTvO2.png

Jy6GPZc.png

OPO7JE6.png

5cDXJJO.png

XTRtzGc.png

R8Cma6q.png

sSxMtDe.png

742LkdA.png

And as the grand finale... 

98N2UrD.png

I'm scared. 

Vector truly is the whitest crocodile this world's ever seen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Heck, you can probably use a Badnik Scale for the early days of the comics: The less of the Badniks you see around, the further it strayed from the source material up to Sonic Adventure, maybe. Almost anything else they did include felt more obligatory than anything, like the Sonic 3 elements in that adaptation. Sonic Spinball was probably the best pre-Ian adaptation they ever did.

• Thumbs Up 3

He was one of a bunch of orphans, and it's implied he did something ro something happened that made him really want to disassociate with them and hide his origins.

Aaand now we have more from the Pendejo regarding what prompted him to create Julie-Su, Enerjak and the Legion... and notably, he goes on a small tangent that was in no way related to what the asker had asked. 

He goes on about how the Dark Legion is the opposite of the Brotherhood and how they'll be in LSC and it'll be more 'Shades of Gray'. Besides coming literally from out of nowhere... I am tremendously skeptical about him actually understanding what 'shades of gray' entails, given how utterly offended he gets when people suggest the Brotherhood was less than benevolent, especially Locke. 

I don't know what compelled him to go on and on and on about the Brotherhood over a simple question that didn't even really have to do with it.

Yeah, Allan's one of my favorite TMNT artists of all time. I was disappointed to see that this is what he brought to Sonic. But what other issues did he do?

@leothechimera20 Julie-Su was the result of needing a female character as none existed for Knuckles to interact with.

Well, that's just a fucking lovely way to think about women, Penders. Instead of, I dunno, balancing the genders, you could maybe have us as actual people?

(I know he has lots of female characters, but for the love of god, could he have phrased that any worse?)

*this might have showed up as multiple posts and if it does the first one might be different I don't know*

@leothechimera20 Julie-Su was the result of needing a female character as none existed for Knuckles to interact with.

Well, that's just a fucking lovely way to think about women, Penders. Instead of, I dunno, balancing the genders, you could maybe have us as actual people?

(I know he has lots of female characters, but for the love of god, could he have phrased that any worse?)

*this might have showed up as multiple posts and if it does the first one might be different I don't know*

It's funny when you consider Gallagher was actually seeding a potential romance between Knuckles and Sally, or just a stronger connection, and Penders couldn't have that. I mean, yeah, even that was a little forced, but I don't think he was trying to keep Knuckles isolated and away from the fight below. Actually, Gallagher looked for excuses to get Knuckles off the fucking Island and gave the Chaotix things to do like helping guard the place when he's not around.

Oh right, competent writers.

I mean, I like Julie-Su personally, but it really does just highlight that she existed for the sole purpose of giving Knuckles a love interest and also to continue keep him isolated on Angel Island and build his own little world. Granted, it makes for some interesting characterization MUCH later on when Flynn was writing... but no one should have to wait over a decade and a change in creative teams for that kind of payoff.