Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

ShroomZ: I don't know if it's just the time period those came from or what, but my mind went full-on Jaleel White Sonic for pretty much all of that. It honestly seemed to work to me.

Meh, I guess that could be the case as some of it seems to be Jaleel White-ish but most of the dialogue is still so cringe worthy. Maybe it's because it's coming from a guy who hated about 75% of the things said by Sonic in Satam. 

And at the same time over in the UK, there was Sonic The Comic and Nigel Kitching's Sonic didn't talk like this at all.( As I said before, I didn't grow up in the 90s, and I actually came over Fleetway before Archie so I think I just became much more accustomed to Fleetway Sonic over this one.)

I think you have to admit, that the Bad Boys panel is still something to behold, though. 

Sonic should never say knapsack. And he should never say doohickey. Especially doohickey.

This is my new favorite out-of-context quote. Congratulations!

A lot of that dialogue you shared is pretty awful, though some of it (not much) is okay. Anyway, though, Penders' attempts at "cool talk", painful though they may be, are still usually better than those times when he's not even trying to make characters sound like teenagers and they speak in a weird technical way.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyway, though, Penders' attempts at "cool talk", painful though they may be, are still usually better than those times when he's not even trying to make characters sound like teenagers and they speak in a weird technical way.

Yeah, many issues written by Penders had many of the characters spectacularly out of character by making them talk "technobabble". There are some panels on the other pages showing Sonic Live and they are hilarious in how out of character Sonic is for like 3/4 of it. 

Basically Penders' Sonic had two modes: Talk like a five year old trying to be sixteen, and talk like a scientist (both wildly out of character). 

Highlights are the Coalescing and the Decipher panels which sound even more out of character for Sonic than doohickey and knapsack. 

Yeah, I got no problem at all with the cheesy dialogue given to Sonic.  It was pretty much an established characteristic in not only the comics but in both AoSTH and SatAM.  It was his thing, a wise cracking blue hedgehog with 'tude that ran fast.  Now I gotta juice!

I'll give you the technobabble though, ShoomZ. Sonic wasn't dumb but at the same time he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.  He was the kind who seemed to not sweat the small stuff and was impatient.  Didn't really care about the details.  I'd nail Penders on that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I got no problem at all with the cheesy dialogue given to Sonic. It was pretty much an established characteristic in not only the comics but in both AoSTH and SatAM. It was his thing, a wise cracking blue hedgehog with 'tude that ran fast. Now I gotta juice!

I'll give you the technobabble though, ShoomZ. Sonic wasn't dumb but at the same time he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. He was the kind who seemed to not sweat the small stuff and was impatient. Didn't really care about the details. I'd nail Penders on that.

• Thumbs Up 3

UsSftyy.png

What does that even mean??

Bumblebee is a company that sells canned tuna and is a competitor to Starkist.

Something horrible under the cut in regard to Bumblebee tuna.

Bumblebee was recently in the news for accidentally baking one of their own employees in a giant pressure cooker oven.

Either way I didn't get the reference as a kid and I only know now as an adult who used to eat said brand. It's kind of weird to put, really.

As for the dialogue in general though, I'm perfectly okay with Sonic having dorky or cheesy dialogue. I'm less okay with everyone in the comic world being extremely scientifically literate. As MDS mentioned, there is absolutely no reason Knuckles should know what a 'concussive blaster' is just from a glance let alone make guesses of what his 'ancestors' used it for.

• Thumbs Up 6

Only I could learn of someone accidentally being baked in an oven through Sonic the Hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh, god. Sonic Sez as done by Pen. It would be mindnumbingly stupid or gloriously awful.

Honestly, with as much as he soapboxed in both Sonic and Knuckles, I'm actually surprised he didn't.

"We don't use guns, Fiona. It's just not our way!" *no emphasis because can't be arsed to drag out that comic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Guns are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqaaaaad. Because Ken says so!

TBH, I don't know who was more anvilicious about anti-gun messages in situations where it wasn't needed:

Pen in the Sonic-verse

or

Peter David in the Young Justice book.

I know that both of them have been defensive about it online, and I've heard a story about PAD actually having an online feud with someone who called him out on it during the early days of the intranets.

"We don't use guns, Fiona. It's just not our way!"

Oh my god, I could actually see someone say something like that. After everyone else is done saying how "it shouldn't be your way either", Vector can do a special rap about the dangers of guns. 

Was there supposed to be something in the spoilers? Cuz I ain't seeing it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

How about now? Notice Bunnie wearing an ammo belt, but not the guns she had when her redesign showed up during Homecoming.

Edited by biznizz

Ah now I can see it. Spoilers was acting weird for some reason.

Oh wow, I didn't actually know Rotor said that. I though you just made it up. 

And jesus christ, that panel reminded me of how much I hated the art at that time. Everyone looked all weird and anime-escue. The girl characters got all oversexualized, and some of the guys got giant muscles and stuff. It makes me want to vomit just looking at it. 

When I think of art from that time, I think of shit like this...  

tumblr_lxu22swYcR1qedo7io1_500.png

UGH

Okay, for some reason, I can't see Biznizz's pictures, even though there's no spoiler.

I can see ShroomZ's pic above (dear god) just fine.

something is wrong with my computer.

As much as I'm not a huge fan of guns (simply because it's so easy for maniacs to get their hands on them) it's just contradictory coming from Rotor, since making massive weapons was practically his JOB not long ago.  Once again, another pothole in the horror highway of continuity by Penders.

Okay, for some reason, I can't see Biznizz's pictures, even though there's no spoiler.

I can see ShroomZ's pic above (dear god) just fine.

something is wrong with my computer.

I guess it was the eyes that had me convinced. They looked a bit like how he did them, from what I recall. Though, frankly, I am actually relieved that it wasn't Penders. Like I said, I had previously assumed that it was a different team. Glad to know it actually was. Even if it was horrible in the end, it was at least a different type of horrible. 

It being Spaz doesn't surprise me too much. I recall him going through an anime/manga phase about the time the craze really hit mainstream. I mean, there's that cover for StH#94. That face for Mina *shudder* (apparently, there was a beta version, which was much less weird, though still gave Mina an anime-ish look). 

And since the first issue of Knuckles has been mentioned several times. I have the issue on the Sonic Comic App and I just can not read it, every single time I try to read it, I get bored senseless. I don't give two fucks about Dimitri, and I don't care about Archmedies.

This is a an absolutely awful way to try get a reader into a miniseries by having it take place right in the middle of an arc. Who the fuck is Dimtri, Locke, and Archmedies? Why the fuck should I care? Who the hell is Enerjak? Why would I care about some Knuckles clones hating technology, and others love it? Why should I care about any of the stupid shit when it's the first time I've read anything from the arc. That's not to mention the stupid writing, with idiotic lines such as "So you're the big maumba jahmba - Archmedies". I don't even know what that even means!

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH, I don't know who was more anvilicious about anti-gun messages in situations where it wasn't needed:

Pen in the Sonic-verse

or

Peter David in the Young Justice book.

I know that both of them have been defensive about it online, and I've heard a story about PAD actually having an online feud with someone who called him out on it during the early days of the intranets.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Comic Codes Authority

Which Archie was under at the time, I believe.

For as much as I know, the rules were iffy. Like certain things could not be allowed to show in a 'positive' manner. Things could be shown in order to give a moral lesson however- for instance 'you will shoot your furry animal friend in the fucking skull, causing a massive war and schism between two peoples if you use guns'.

It reminds me of how 4kids would censor things, like turning projectile guns into fictional laser guns.