Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Well, he's rightfully getting called out, but of course he's still banging the creators' rights drum. Or a trash can with "creators' rights" painted on it. One of the two:

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593793760917491713

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593794787880280064

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593795367726002176

Uh huh. SEGA benefited from your material... how, exactly? Because they let them stay in the background? These characters, much as I liked most of them, were not a selling point of the book. Ever. Even Chronicles isn't a good defense because the Nocturnus aren't just copy-paste jobs of the Dark Legion. Inspired, sure, but not wholesale rip-offs. And I would think Ken Freakin' Penders of all people could understand that, but clearly my expectations are just a little too high for a man who is purposefully drawing SEGA styled Echidna with little to no changes or outright stealing a SEGA character to use in a story that's somehow totally original and divorced from Sonic the Hedgehog while simultaneously piggybacking off of it in the most glaring way possible.

I almost miss the days when I sort of pitied the man, but I can't even fake that shit anymore.

It's also funny seeing him include SEGA in his @replies. I sincerely hope someone there is documenting this crap to use against him whenever this thing does come out.

Aye. And now he's screaming about how Valient and Zelda's comics going under somehow manages to magically prove that he was in vact valuable to SEGA despite the fact that the comic was never that important to them.

Gotta love how this is all in response to ONE comment. 
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, it getting worse than I thought. Not only is the art bad ( Lara-su looks like an old lady lol) but it's obviously a rip-off. "K'Nox", "Echyd'nya", and the fact that it states that her first appearance is from a sonic comic.  

BTW, what's up with that long list of family members? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, it getting worse than I thought. Not only is the art bad ( Lara-su looks like an old lady lol) but it's obviously a rip-off. "K'Nox", "Echyd'nya", and the fact that it states that her first appearance is from a sonic comic.  

I totally don't see how he's trying to ride on Sonic's... um, S'nik's fame and glory. No sir.

Also, is there any science fiction story out there today that uses terms like "Marks" and "Stones" as a unit of weight and measurement?

• Thumbs Up 1

Only went there since you asked since I don't frequent the place.

You seem like someone who is desperate for attention and tries their hardest to rile people up. Honestly at this point I don't think you even believe in Pendejo's work, you just do it because you know people don't like him.

You're kind of pathetic and try hard. I'd say I'm sorry for whatever is going on in your life that makes you so desperate, but it'd just come off as patronizing if I do, even if that's not how I mean it.

Oh! The little boy Naugus... er FuhrerMustang returns and I'm around for it! For the curious, what did he try to do over at Bumbleking?

• Thumbs Up 1

He posted a lot of nasty remarks about Ian, Sega and a few other things (Including an Autism remark). Not things to paint him in a good light really.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nothing worth mentioning. Just being a sad little troll who once again graced them with his presence after hiding under that little bridge.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aye. And now he's screaming about how Valient and Zelda's comics going under somehow manages to magically prove that he was in vact valuable to SEGA despite the fact that the comic was never that important to them.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593823424239177728

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593823641151737856

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593823815513149441

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593824001803161600

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593824340283559936

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593824672170385409

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593824968678354944

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593825257967915008

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593825564785389569

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593825901009207296

Gotta love how this is all in response to ONE comment.

I'm just going to assemble this for convenience, because it just highlights his cluelessness about the video games industry and these properties:

Depends what you mean by benefit. I point to the @NintendoAmerica series by @ValiantComics which were published arguably at the height of Mario's and Zelda's popularity. They didn't last more than a dozen issues despite the popularity of the characters. The entire history of comics says the SONIC series should have collapsed after the TV shows went off and the long dry spells between games. It was amazing when the book reached 25 and issue 50 looked like the end of the line. If I wasn't constantly throwing in new material each issue -- some new character or plot point -- it really would have been.

The reason I say "I" is because Mike G and Angelo only submitted scripts every now and then and Karl wasn't on board until issue 50. Mike K was looking to quit comics altogether.

"...at the height of Mario's and Zelda's popularity." I like how he talks like these franchises must have fallen off the face of the Earth once these comics went under. If he thinks the only form of success a video game property has is other media, can someone send him images of Akira Himekawa's Zelda manga? Or the boatload of Pokémon media? Or Mario merchandise? Or, what the hell, Sonic merchandise? Does he think sales figures for games are a lie? Seriously, he could stand to at least check Wikipedia before running his mouth about things he doesn't know.

I also like how he goes on about how if it wasn't for him and he didn't create something new, Sonic would've been dead in the water and of course continues to downplay Gallagher's, DeCesare's, oh, and now his former partner Mike Kanterovich's contributions too! Classy. I'm personally not against creating new characters to supplement the world, but the self-importance solely because of these contributions is nothing short of obnoxious.

Oh! The little boy Naugus... er FuhrerMustang returns and I'm around for it! For the curious, what did he try to do over at Bumbleking?

Threaten people with more bogus lawsuits.

Regardless of what this member may or may not have done on another board, that's not really important as to their membership here. So long as he's not breaking any rules here, he's welcome and I'd ask everyone to not discuss the matter any further.

That in mind...

Have you guys seen my handiwork on Bumbleking?

Not off to a good start.

This seems to have the intent to provoke. If you're going to just work to incite other members, you won't be here long.

Sly- sorry, I posted this before I saw your post. The matter is dropped. Frankly the quiet silence is all that's really appropriate in response to this.

Contents of post removed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, i mean wow. Hi folks, i haven't posted much in here, but I'm back-ish.

I'm an aspiring writer myself, and i tutor a lot of people in writing as well. heck i'm even working on a novel at the moment. i'd like to consider myself experienced in this trade, since I've been writing since I was fairly young and i'm well into adulthood now, and as an experience writer i can safetly say this guy has no idea what the fuck hes doing. i mean, he clearly knows what a Mary Sue is, since he named a character after one as a joke on the archetype, but he doesn't seem to get how not to make one, and holds no regret or knowledge that he HAS made one.

I mean, i'm not one to get on his case about the ripoff character designs, mostly because while i do think it's awful, everything that can be said about has been said. other than that though, holy shit this character and story are cluttered. characters everywhere, no reason to care about any of them, all of them fairly one-note and flat or stolen from other material, and a shining mary sue blocking out anyone else's potential spotlight. now, i'm a firm believer that not all perfect characters are bad, as many other pieces of media have proven that you can make it work if the story is about how the character affects the world and not the world affecting the character. essentially, you can have a mary sue if the point is not that they are the center of the universe, but more that have already grown as a character off-screen and exist now to nudge everyone else's development along, barely having much time to show off themselves. characters like Gao Mikado from Future Card Buddyfight and the famous Kim Possible come to mind as "mary sue" protagonists who work because the story isn't about them to begin with, and the shows tone matches the parody aspects of having a more "perfect" protagonist.

Lara-Su was kind of an awkward version of this in Flynn's 25YL and 30YL, since she was kind of a main character and did a lot but was not the point of the story. in Penders newly released profile, however, he has removed any semblance of subtlety she had. she is now a glaring light that blocks anyone else from doing anything in the story, and the story is in fact all about how perfect she is. she is a cluttered character with too many relatives and too many skills, yet she doesn't live up the her supposed intellect in any media we've seen from Penders. it's exactly the wrong way to do things. 

• Thumbs Up 2

From my observations Pendejo's characters rarely develop much farther than from an idea, so they tend to be very flat. It's the same problem with the writing, really. It's not character driven but plot point driven- as in, the characters may as well be potato sacks dragged around on a hook.

That Lara-Su now has so much going on with her reminds me of what he had tried to set up with Knuckles, with having him quite 'advanced' for his age and spelling out words in toy blocks, etc.

Characters with extremely slanted skill sets -can- work (or Superman wouldn't be around still, I guess), but I don't really have a great amount of faith in Pendejo on this. It's a bit like how he wrote Sally- she was always very skilled and good at what she was doing at all times, but it made her an extremely bland character that made everyone else around her bland by extension.

• Thumbs Up 2

well, yeah. writing 101: your character has to have more than a few weaknesses so they actually have something to overcome. it's basic stuff. i'm still somewhat baffled that a grown man hasn't figured the basics out yet and still claims to be a professional.

Meh, I don't want to go off topic, but Kim Possible wasn't really perfect. She got caught a lot, and had a lot of typical/stereotypical teen girl problems. 

Lara-Su here...who the hell even gives a five year old a dagger? Do all the parents in this universe suck? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Meh, I don't want to go off topic, but Kim Possible wasn't really perfect. She got caught a lot, and had a lot of typical/stereotypical teen girl problems. 

Lara-Su here...who the hell even gives a five your old a dagger? Do all the parents in this universe suck? 

And at the very least was entertaining to watch. And had a personality. And a trillion other things Ken Penders couldn't manage even if you held him at gunpoint. 

• Thumbs Up 2

"The Predatorian's name is K'nox"

doubletake.gif

...that's just a misspelled letter away from Knuckles' nickname Knux.

...no. I don't believe anyone could possibly be this shamelessly derivative. I'm going to assume he actually DID mean to say Knux but accidentally misspelled the word and passed the misspelled "K'nox" off as legitimate in order save face.

Also that bio is a riot. "Fluent in dozens of languages"? "Proficient with a dagon"? "Echyd'nyaplis"?

• Thumbs Up 2

And oh lordy, he is grasping at straws. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/593855111589310465

@RobotnikHolmes @SEGA The games are immaterial. Neither @ArchieComics or @SEGA publishes the comics out of the goodness of their hearts.

I do not even get what he is getting at here with that last statement. Does he think publishers, movie companies and so forth are Santa Clause, building properties and distributing them freely for the pleasure of all? I mean... it's such an obvious thing, and yet he's acting like this is somehow some dark fact we are unaware of. 

Lara-Su here...who the hell even gives a five year old a dagger? Do all the parents in this universe suck?

Well, considering he had Locke microwave Knuckles as a infant, force chaos powers on him, make him believe he and and his entire species are dead, and then stalk him for the rest of his life, yet Penders still claimed he's father of the year in the Sonic universe so.

I don't care what conversation or context its in, as far as Sonic the Hedgehog goes the games have NEVER been immaterial. They were the origin and still the main bread and butter of his very existence. Sure the TV shows may have done well, and merchandising would bring in a buttload, but the games are the core product, and compared to the comics would make a bajillion times the revenue.

Not that we all didn't already know this, but the mans fallen out of the crazy tree >.<

• Thumbs Up 3

And even Batman isn't as perfect as people claim him to be. He got caught more times than any of the JL members AND his sanity is called into question. He is clearly not all there.

And that's why many of us love him ^^

Don't you just love how Penders gets angry about Bioware creating Shade (who looks nothing like Julie-Su) and says they copied from Julie-Su, yet he's practically ripped off Knuckles here giving him really subtle design changes right down to the Goddamn name?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the most amazing thing about the biography is the way the Known Family is this huge, unbroken wall of text so long it literally goes off-screen.  You can't parody that.

Don't you just love how Penders gets angry about Bioware creating Shade (who looks nothing like Julie-Su) and says they copied from Julie-Su, yet he's practically ripped off Knuckles here giving him really subtle design changes right down to the Goddamn name?

What gets me is how completely different Shade and the Nocturnus are to Julie-Su and the Dark Legion - you can't even call them expies, the only similarities are literally that they're echidna's, they use technology, they ended up in an alternate dimension, and that Shade turned from the bad guys to the good guys.

Everything else is different. Julie-Su's a fiesty hot head; Shade is cool and calculating. Julie-Su's a low-rank soldier; Shade's a high ranking Procurator spear-heading their attempts to return. Julie-Su has the whole soultouch/romance angle; Shade... doesn't. They don't look even remotely the same.

Compare and contrast with the differences between K'nox and Knux.

• Thumbs Up 7

What gets me is how completely different Shade and the Nocturnus are to Julie-Su and the Dark Legion - you can't even call them expies, the only similarities are literally that they're echidna's, they use technology, they ended up in an alternate dimension, and that Shade turned from the bad guys to the good guys.

Everything else is different. Julie-Su's a fiesty hot head; Shade is cool and calculating. Julie-Su's a low-rank soldier; Shade's a high ranking Procurator spear-heading their attempts to return. Julie-Su has the whole soultouch/romance angle; Shade... doesn't. They don't look even remotely the same.

Compare and contrast with the differences between K'nox and Knux.

Exactly! Is Pendurrs really that dumb, thinking he can get away with doing something more akin to actually ripping off and less inspiration based like Shade and the Brotherhood?