Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I can't imagine you'd have trouble finding people who think SatBK is shitty and plays nothing like a Sonic game. If nothing else, you can be sure that I am consistent in thinking both SatBK and BoomGame are shitty not-Sonic Sonic games, and thus I am not applying a double standard.

Awwwggh Come on! I thought this was over. We we're all midly happy here. We get you don't like it, but don't bring such a shit attitude to the "party". Maybe it's just me, my perspective on life, but you're approaching your comments in such a rude way. I personally dislike Colors do I call it shit? No. I think Lost World isn't Sonic-y do I go to the Lost World topic and say "This is a shitty Non Sonic Sonic game"? No. Your approach is just bass akwards if you ask me. And personally I think your just being close-minded because your dear "Sonic" hasn't had much attention lately.

EDIT: I handled that remotely terrible please forgive me for my close mindedness. Sorry man :( I lost my temp

Edited by Light the Hedgehog

3DS VERSION? when will we knw about the 3ds version? somebody please answer ?

I want to know about it too but we will have to wait, i know thar sanarzu games will do great. On their Facebook page they have people praising their work on sly cooper so I think they'll do great

Hopefully the graphics are better than 3ds Lost World, because while not bad it doesn't look polished at all. Speaking of which sense these are practically different games how do you think the 3ds version is going to be handled/executed?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully the graphics are better than 3ds Lost World, because while not bad it doesn't look polished at all. Speaking of which sense these are practically different games how do you think the 3ds version is going to be handled/executed?

I have a feeling it might be similar to lost world. Both versions will have the same broad story line, i.e same final boss. But different level design and probably small storyline differences

The same but on a 3ds???? Idk, hopefully they are pretty much different games and if it plays good then it'll give me the reason to buy it.

Dang, i hope its not terrible because i dont have a wii u, i have a 3ds, a ps3 and getting a ps4

i have a wii but didnt bother buying any sonic games for it

There's no double standard, SatBK is a shitty not-Sonic Sonic game too.

Yes there is a double standard. People are condemning a game that isn't even out yet for having something that wasn't a problem the last time it was used in a Sonic game. If that isn't a double standard, I don't know what is.

I can't imagine you'd have trouble finding people who think SatBK is shitty and plays nothing like a Sonic game.

And those people are wrong. Who are you to decide what a Sonic game should play like anyway?

If nothing else, you can be sure that I am consistent in thinking both SatBK and BoomGame are shitty not-Sonic Sonic games, and thus I am not applying a double standard.

Considering you seem unable to be positive about anything, I don't see why anyone should trust your opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Loads of people had a problem with Black Knight when it was announced.  I remember the concept of "Sonic with a sword" being as widely derided as Sonic becoming a werewolf, along with dismay at the prospect of every Sonic game having a gimmick from then on.  The only aspect of it I ever hear people praise, and this is something they'd only have known about after it had been released, was the characterisation of Sonic.  So it seems to me that so far the response to Boom's announcement has actually been an improvement on the response to SatBK's announcement.

As for Sonic and his friends putting their differences aside, I have no problem with Sonic characters having differing ideas and goals and experiencing character development over the course of the story.  This is what I imagine is the plan for the plot; the characters, narratively, aren't simply interchangeable and each have different responses to the events that are occurring.

As for the 3DS version, the fact that they're not ready to show it off yet suggests that maybe they're doing something quite different in it to the Wii U version.  Or that it's a rush job and they don't have anything worth showing yet.

Well that may apply for Spyro (although I disagree, I fondly remember the turtle soup mission in Gateway to Glimmar/Ripto's Rage) But this doesn't apply to Jak or Ratchet in the slightest since I just beat Jak II last night and I'm currently on with Jak III now and the game was a solid experience from beginning to end, no fuck ups due to bad controls, nothing it was fun from beginning to end, and the game was kept from becoming stale by introducing different gameplay styles to break up all the platforming and combat. All I'm honestly saying is you're coming down hard on this game because of your past experiences of sequels in triple A titles at the time of their release, but still your complaint is a minor one because, Jak and Daxter became a BETTER series after it's first game.

Well, I've not played any Jak games simply because of the aforementioned turning off from the genre that happened around the PS1 days.  Funny thing is, it didn't happen immediately, just later on thinking back, that's the thing I remember first. Nowadays I just don't think they've aged well enough to give them another shot.  

But here's an interesting detail about Jak 2: Hirokazu Yasuhara joined Naughty Dog around the time of its development and worked on it.  For anyone for whom that name doesn't ring a bell, He was the director and lead designer on Sonic 1, 2, and 3, S&K.  

Popping back a little to the discussion regarding Boom not being the Sonic we all know and love, let me present to you exhibit A:

HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN SONIC STORYBOOK WAS A THING I SURE DON'T BUT THIS SURE IS A LONG WAY TO SAY *SNIP*

Now I'm not here to argue whether or not this game is good, but to argue that from the way Sonic and the Black Knight presents it shouldn't be defined as a Sonic game any less than Boom despite the fact that it is clearly a Sonic game.

Now of course the core of the game is obviously not conventional Sonic.  This is pretty much something we can agree upon unanimously (though feel free to prove me wrong) largely because of the sword being your only form of attack (non of the conventional methods of attacking with Sonic work at all) and the forced on-rails gameplay that had only been seen in Secret Rings but it goes much much further than that.  First let's address the presentation and level design elements.  There are no loops, Sonic springs or corkscrews to be seen; levels are rather flat and geometrically uninteresting; there's nothing really eclectic about the design or tropes of the levels (at least not in conventional "Sonic" sense that people are trying to argue); heck the aren't even rings in the levels, arguably the most staple item in the entire series (though they are represented by fairies, it's not the same.  It's like changing the rings to coins).  

Then there are the other mechanics of the game.  Sonic's jump for instance.  He doesn't curl into a ball at all, and his jump arc is set consequently meaning there's absolutely no momentum conservation at all that the series is known for.  There's a sense of acceleration whilst running, but nothing in the levels makes use of this at all and the aforementioned jump undermines that completely because any speed built up from running is gone as soon as you jump.

So this is a platformer where you don't accumulate momentum as your progress through the levels, don't get the opportunity to do any noteworthy exploration, do very little platforming, don't collect rings, don't bounce off springs, don't run though loops, cannot attack enemies at all by jumping, rolling or homing attacking onto them and generally don't do anything that a Sonic platformer would do...

...yet this is still somehow a Sonic game and one that is actually part of the image of Modern Sonic as opposed to being its own thing.

In the end I guess I'm saying that what defines a Sonic game nowadays is just so loose now.  At this point given how this series is all over the place I'd rather this game simply focus on being fun and good, especially because it's clearly designed to rebrand Sonic and showcase him in a brand new light.

I kinda feel like your argument for why SatBK is a Sonic game does a lot better at arguing against SatBK as a Sonic game.  

For some reason there were a bunch of Sonic games coming out around that time that reminded me a lot of like a PS1 or Saturn game, Reluctant to actually force the player to really do much in 3D and having strange idea on what to do with their scope.  It's almost like a 3D hack and slash game made by people that have only ever seen Super FX 3D games.  

And then there was that weird extra mission where your objective was to give rings to bunch of the locals who were living on giant abandoned siege equipment, I never got that.  

Shall I add the word 'collaboration' to the drinking game?'

Edit: Action and Adventure must be important... he's said it 4 times in a row and not expanded on it in anyway.

Edit 2: Wait a second.

"Sonic and his friends put their differences behind them to overcome this enemy"

What? But... since when do Sonic & Co have any differences that prevent them from doing that? We've not seen anything like that happen since the days of Sonic Adventure?

It's also a new continuity which makes even less sense.  I venture to say this sentence was the result of saying the exact same thing without saying the exact same thing too many times.  

The way you go about it, makes it sound like you're passing final damning judgment on Boom. Too soon dude.

It's pretty obvious at this point that Boom isn't really a Sonic game and hasn't exactly inspired much faith based on how little they've shown of it, how derivative most of its mechanics are, the way they keep regurgitating the same answers (gives me the impression they weren't expecting much games press media attention), and how much they keep talking about combat.  They may surprise me yet, but we are looking at what is essentially a "The Movie: The Game" here.  

Yes there is a double standard. People are condemning a game that isn't even out yet for having something that wasn't a problem the last time it was used in a Sonic game. If that isn't a double standard, I don't know what is.

And those people are wrong. Who are you to decide what a Sonic game should play like anyway?

Considering you seem unable to be positive about anything, I don't see why anyone should trust your opinion.

Uh, what wasn't a problem last time it was used in a Sonic game?  

Well, as objective as you can be in these cases, if you make a list of features in the first Sonic games and made a list of features in SatBK, the only places where they have anything in common would be that they have Sonic on the box and you can jump.  

I kinda feel like your argument for why SatBK is a Sonic game does a lot better at arguing against SatBK as a Sonic game.  

Yes because this is what I was arguing, or rather I'm arguing that by apparent definition of a "Sonic game" it shouldn't be.  Black Knight isn't a classic textbook example of a Sonic game and it is a rubbish game in general due to its monotonous and repetitive gameplay (though ironically it actually does quite well in a number of less important areas such as production value, narrative, characterisation and visuals), but the fact that it still somehow has a place in the Sonic series shows how loose the definition of a "Sonic game" is.  Due to how vastly different various games in the Sonic series have been up until this point, can we really entitle ourselves to what we think is a "Sonic game"?

Also, cut the attitude.  If you're going to quote my entire argument at least have an actual response as opposed to a one line straw man.  It's annoying and patronising.   

• Thumbs Up 3

Of course we can. Grab the iconic games of the series, see what they have in common, it's a Sonic game. What a coincidence, Black Knight was consistently lashed at for being un-Sonic-like. HRRRRMMM. Some consider it then saved itself by having a great story, but fact is it's still widely reviled, so I'd argue that.

Quite vague, since at some point, there's always been even the most deranged of fans to claim a Sonic game "isn't a real Sonic game".

Granted in this case, it appears to be a vast minority who is jumping the gun, and hysterically claiming this isn't a "REAL Sonic", ridiculous as that statement is getting to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

Everywhere I went I saw people lambasting this and happy SEGA confirmed it's only a spinoff and mocking the stupid sports tape so I don't know where you saw a "minority" :V truly confirmation bias, really (on both sides).

Thanks for the insult btw.

So, have there been any actual new information provided here yet, and not just pointless snark and sniping at each other?

So, have there been any actual new information provided here yet, and not just pointless snark and sniping at each other?

Besides the cockfighting going on, we have more juicy news and tidbits from the initial conference!

"Its a game, with a CG animated television series, and there's a world, and the characters interact in it. Hope you like the game."

- Big Red Button Studios

• Thumbs Up 3

Besides the cockfighting going on, we have more juicy news and tidbits from the initial conference!

Hmm, there's also a tidbit within the video on the videogame that highly suggests that the quartet of friends aren't friends at first but have to set aside their differences for the events of the game; sounds like a full-on origin story.

Good find there, Azoo.

• Thumbs Up 1

...I was actually being very sarcastic, since everything besides I guess what you pointed out (which I guess is sorta interesting) has been said five thousand times. :v

...I was actually being very sarcastic, since everything besides I guess what you pointed out (which I guess is sorta interesting) has been said five thousand times. :v

Doesn't matter. It still turned out to be quite a good find, despite the the obvious sarcasm. SO I decided to properly thank you for it.

It could be that they are still friends to being with. But in the course of the story they probably develop slightly different ideals that they would have to put aside to finish the final boss

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty obvious at this point that Boom isn't really a Sonic game...

I think I'll need you to elaborate on the vague stance that this "isn't a Sonic game". You're not exactly convincing me with that kind of rationale.

Hmm, there's also a tidbit within the video on the videogame that highly suggests that the quartet of friends aren't friends at first but have to set aside their differences for the events of the game; sounds like a full-on origin story.

Good find there, Azoo.

Well, that's something that could be interesting. Thanks for being helpful.

• Thumbs Up 1

since everything besides I guess what you pointed out (which I guess is sorta interesting) has been said five thousand times. :v

Need we refresh the 411 yet again that these were all executed on the same date, and that's why all the interviews and whatnot are pretty much on equal level?

Well, that's something that could be interesting. Thanks for being helpful.

No problem!wink.png Glad I could be of assistance.

• Thumbs Up 1

I promised I wouldn't get hype over this, because I do, every.single.fucking.game and still come out bitterer after each disappointment, but jesus playing Jak II & III recently has totally hyped me up for this shit, fuck.

Uhh, points for optimism, right? 

• Thumbs Up 2