Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

If the game is meant to promote the TV series and vice versa, it would be a lot better if the game was on a platform that people owned. It hasn't got much exposure on Wii U because the console hasn't sold well.

There's also the fact that a lot of 3rd party titles are shelfwarmers on Wii U, one notable example are Ubisoft's titles. I have faith that Boom can do slightly better than Lost World if it's a better game, but only slightly. And it's sad, because I really want to see this game get as much exposure as possible. I'd be okay if this was ported to PS4/Xbox One later on, but keeping it exclusive to Wii U isn't a healthy start for the Sonic Boom project.

People own 3DSs.

People own 3DSs.

The 3DS version is an entirely different game, so I left that out. I mean the console version.

You said

If the game is meant to promote the TV series and vice versa, it would be a lot better if the game was on a platform that people owned. It hasn't got much exposure on Wii U because the console hasn't sold well.

Sonic Boom gets exposure either way. The 3DS version is also there to promote the series.

You said

Sonic Boom gets exposure either way. The 3DS version is also there to promote the series.

But what about the Wii U version? That's a much bigger game with presumably a bigger budget.

Either way, I hope Nintendo covers the losses if there are any.

The 3DS version is definitely a separate story, then?  Excellent.  This might actually feel like we're getting separate console and handheld games again rather than the handheld version being an inferior port.  Although I'd imagine it won't be radically different, either, given that they're releasing at about the same time and presently being marketed as part of the same package - both representing the "third game" in the Nintendo deal... so the story may be some kind of side-story, the same story retold?

Speaking of.

I wonder why we've not seen anything of the 3DS version?

Yeah, I thought about it too. I'd like to see something of that version, since that's the one I'm going to buy whenever the price will drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMHNZDM1YA

Second initial trailer analysis from GameXplain.  Lots of reference to user comments and minute details.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I thought about it too. I'd like to see something of that version, since that's the one I'm going to buy whenever the price will drop.

Normally SEGA announces the handheld versions for the Sonic games later (about a few months tops)

They seems to hype up the Wii u game alot compared to the 3DS, since the Wii U Version is the prequel for the cartoon show. And if the 3DS has a completely different story, why is not the 3DS version a completely another Sonic Boom game then, like Sonic Boom 2? When they share the exact same title. It makes it confusing. So will the story in the 3DS be a sequel to the Sonic Boom(Wii U) and another prequel for the cartoon?

I know Sonic Team usually change some parts of the story and game in the 3DS Version compared to the home console, but they did have the same storyline.

But probably to early, since the only information we have of the 3DS Version of Sonic Boom is that it is not the same story as the Wii U.

Either way, I gonna buy both, if they are as good as I hope they be :P

I hope 3ds version is good because i dont own a wii u, only a 3ds and im buying future sonic games for my 3ds and ps4

Well wont be on forums untill sunday as im going my dads for the weekend, ill be seeing you guys later!

PEACE

If the game is meant to promote the TV series and vice versa, it would be a lot better if the game was on a platform that a lot of people owned. It hasn't got much exposure on Wii U because the console hasn't sold well.

There's also the fact that a lot of 3rd party titles are shelfwarmers on Wii U, one notable example are Ubisoft's titles. I have faith that Boom can do slightly better than Lost World if it's a better game, but only slightly. And it's sad, because I really want to see this game get as much exposure as possible. I'd be okay if this was ported to PS4/Xbox One later on, but keeping it exclusive to Wii U isn't a healthy start for the Sonic Boom project.

First of all, I disagree with that paranoid line of thinking, frankly because of usual lack of effort on third party's parts these days.

Second of all, say what you will about the Wii U but I wouldn't call 5-6 million owners nothing at the moment; ther's clearly an audience out there, now what they need to do is play their cards and advertising right while also managing to reach out to them with a game that actually lives up to the hype.

And while I do seem to have more faith Boom's sales than you, I also don't let hypothectical sales outcomes detriment my first and foremost priority: having fun with the game.

And Lastly, like I said, it's just as "dumb" that Kingdom Hearts 3 goes to Xbone which has little to no KH audience while skipping out on Wii U which does actually have their Nintendo audience. But in both cases, we're just going to have deal with it. Thank goodness SEGA isn't as ridiculously hypocritical or platform-specific effort-lagging as the likes of EA and Ubisoft.

First of all, I disagree with that paranoid line of thinking, frankly because of usual lack of effort on third party's parts these days.

Second of all, say what you will about the Wii U but I wouldn't call 5-6 million owners nothing at the moment; ther's clearly an audience out there, now what they need to do is play their cards and advertising right while also managing to reach out to them with a game that actually lives up to the hype.

And while I do seem to have more faith Boom's sales than you, I also don't let hypothectical sales outcomes detriment my first and foremost priority: having fun with the game.

And Lastly, like I said, it's just as "dumb" that Kingdom Hearts 3 goes to Xbone which has little to no KH audience while skipping out on Wii U which does actually have their Nintendo audience. But in both cases, we're just going to have deal with it. Thank goodness SEGA isn't as ridiculously hypocritical or platform-specific effort-lagging as the likes of EA and Ubisoft.

I'm not being paranoid, I'm just very worried for SEGA as they are in no financial position to risk $20m like that. If Nintendo are paying for it too, that's fair enough, as it will at least recompense any losses.

As for the thing about the hypothetical sales, I'm not sure any 3rd party title on Wii U has sold over a million units (though I could be wrong). That's why Ubisoft is cautious about the Wii U, as they have been sticking with the console even though it's performing badly. I've played Ubisoft's ports and they are actually not that bad, though I think the reason for technical issues is due to the Wii U's slow processor. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong).

When it comes to having faith in sales.....well....here's the thing. Last year, I got so excited for Lost World, thinking that it would sell more than Generations and Unleashed, but I was horribly wrong. I don't want to make that mistake again, so I am keeping my expectations low so I don't have a nasty shock if the game performs poorly. I agree with you on the having fun with the game part though, even if the game does do poorly, I'll just focus on playing and enjoying the game (if it's good of course).

Lastly, I believe the Kingdom Hearts 3 thing is to do with power and architecture. It would cost a lot of money and take a lot of effort to port a game built for X86 architecture to PowerPC architecture. And of course, if the game doesn't sell well, that money wasted. The reason it was ported to Xbox One was because the Xbox One shares the exact same architecture as PS4, so porting it over is nearly a cake-walk, and it's inexpensive.

Th only reason Square's given is the notion that the Wii U can't do DirectX11 which has since then, been debunked. So, until they give another reason, their current standing is bullshit.

Th only reason Sauare' given is the notion that the Wii U can't do DirectX11 which has since then, been debunked.

The Wii U can only support some DX11 features, and the rest would have to be modified to run on the system which would take time and money. I'm not too familiar with Kingdom Hearts games, but there are probably other things besides assets to port over as well.

The costs of porting the game down to the Wii U are probably not worth it. There.

Can we stop whining about this now?

Can we stop whining about this now?

As soon as we stop whining about Sonic Boom's exclusivity.

Anyway, something just occurred to me;

You know that section where all four characters are running down that road? Well, it kind of looks like a mach speed section. Could be wrong, though I'm hoping that the speed in this game isn't just restricted to scripted running sections.

Well Dio, low expectations do have a knack for being exceeded.

I'm hoping for a mix of both. But you never know, that section might not be auto running. By the way, looks like the boost is back. Eh, I don't mind, I never found it to be bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Th only reason Square's given is the notion that the Wii U can't do DirectX11 which has since then, been debunked. So, until they give another reason, their current standing is bullshit.

I doubt the WiiU is going to use a proprietary API owned by Microsoft and only used in Microsoft based OSes/hardware. Maybe it can do features of it, but so can other APIs. Saying the WiiU uses DX11 is misleading.

Its hard to say that it wouldn't be automated. They're all perfectly aligned, it's a straight shot, and the gameplay outside of this doesn't seem at all suited to moving that fast at all times. I could be wrong, but I'm doubting it.

Also, 20 million flipping dollars? Considering the Wii U's standing mixed with the 50/50 perception of the Boom rebranding, having this match the expectations they made for themselves with this budget would have to mean they make it by the skin of their teeth.

In this series? Not really.

Well the Sonic series, maybe. But like you said, this isn't necessarily your average "REAL" Sonic game.

This is the new Sonic Boom series we're talking about!