Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

To be honest, while I like what we've seen of the game so far, I'm fairly sure the game will be pretty mediocre. It's just a gut feeling, but yeah.

I can't imagine you'd have trouble finding people who think SatBK is shitty and plays nothing like a Sonic game. If nothing else, you can be sure that I am consistent in thinking both SatBK and BoomGame are shitty not-Sonic Sonic games, and thus I am not applying a double standard.

I'm sorry, Dio, how can you say that it's shitty and also plays nothing like a Sonic game? That's a paradox.

The number of times I got this when I posted my preview on Sonic Lost World.

Luckily I was proved wrong... .... . ... 

Oh hang on...

What were you even supposedly "right" about in the first place concerning that game which isn't dominantly subjective? That just comes off as Artfenix levels of smug.

Regardless, big whoop, you might have called something on a different game, with different factors, different devs, a different gameplay, etc. Show me an actual sturdy record of you "calling it" consecutively, some time machine, or crystal ball mumbo jumbo, before you coming riding in on your high horse like that, boasting about one subjective instance.

Speculation is one thing, but passing such premature judgment, and with an "I told you so" attitude to boot is plain foolish and asinine.

And to be bluntly honest, yes it is unnecessary and annoying, especially at this stage of what we've actually seen and heard.

I'm sorry, Dio, how can you say that it's shitty and also plays nothing like a Sonic game? That's a paradox.

I'm not sure what's being implied here.

I'm not sure what's being implied here.

Regular Sonic games made by Sonic Team suck, I thought you had been around long enough on SSMB to realize this man!

• Thumbs Up 1

It's too early to say that the game is bad, but it's also too early to say that the game is good. Remain cautious, we had this problem with Lost World and a lot of people (including me) were left disappointed, and it was partly out own fault for hyping things up so much. I think what Hogfather is trying to say is to not jump to conclusions, especially with what little info we have.

I think it's best that people don't get so defensive. It happens every game when someone is negative and it's really annoying. The game isn't out, it can be good or bad, we don't know and even after it's out people can still have differing opinions, so why get angry about it? It doesn't take away from your experience.

Regular Sonic games made by Sonic Team suck, I thought you had been around long enough on SSMB to realize this man!

Hey, I didn't imply Sonic games from Sonic Team sucked. I implied all Sonic games suck!

Get it right, man!

We shouldn't have to feel this. Or not hype ourselves. Seems sad that we can't be hype w/o "can't get too hype Sonic team doesn't fail to disappoint" not saying what youre saying is false just I wish it wasn't that way.

Me: Remaining Super excited and uncautiosly hype :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, I didn't imply Sonic games from Sonic Team sucked. I implied all Sonic games suck!

Get it right, man!

Sonic%203%20&%20Knuckles%20Logo%20T.gif

I swear to me mum

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm hard-pressed to see what you were supposedly "right" about in the first place concerning that game. This sounds like Artfenix levels of smug.

Regardless, big whoop, you might have called something on a different game, with different factors, different devs, a different gameplay, etc. Show me an actual sturdy record of you "calling it" consecutively, some time machine, or crystal ball mumbo jumbo, before you coming riding in on your high horse like that.

Speculation is one thing, but passing such premature judgment, and with an "I told you so" attitude to boot is going too far.

And to be bluntly honest, yes it is unnecessary and annoying, especially at this stage of what we've actually seen and heard.

Just so you know, talking about banned members is against the rules. Regardless of a member's history or account standing here at the SSMB, it's inappropriate to use someone as an example in a negative light. We don't encourage members to be disrespectful to anyone, be it members, moderators, administrators, or even banned members. Besides, in regards to the latter, it's not fair for you to be talking about someone that is currently incapable of defending themselves here in this community with you calling them out.

As for the rest of your post, could you cut down on the snark, please? You can get your point across in disagreement without all of that and being rude.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just so you know, talking about banned members is against the rules.page. Regardless of a member's history or account standing here at the SSMB, it's inappropriate to use someone as an example in a negative light. We don't encourage members to be disrespectful to anyone, be it members, moderators, administrators, or even banned members. Besides, in regards to the latter, it's not fair to you to be talking about someone that is currently incapable of defending themselves here in this community with you calling them out. 

As for the rest of your post, could you cut down on the snark, please? You can get your point across in disagreement without all of that and being rude.

K, fair enough, I didn't know about that rule, but I'll do best to not over-do it, let alone mention a banned member. Sorry 'bout that.

I found information guiz!

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/02/21/sonic-boom-game-near-a-20-million-budget/

I get cookie now?

A bigger budget than Unleashed and Generations!

So a $19.9m budget. Let's start crunching those numbers. If the game does the same as Lost World with sales (around 640,000 units), and each unit is $60, that means it'll make around $38-39 million. So we're looking at a $20m profit here. Remember, this is hypothetical, Boom could do better than Lost World.

• Thumbs Up 1

I found information guiz!

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/02/21/sonic-boom-game-near-a-20-million-budget/

I get cookie now?

A bigger budget than Unleashed and Generations!

So a $19.9m budget. Let's start crunching those numbers. If the game does the same as Lost World with sales (around 640,000 units), and each unit is $60, that means it'll make around $38-39 million. So we're looking at a $20m profit here. Remember, this is hypothetical, Boom could do better than Lost World.

I hope this means a Jak and Daxter-esuqe amount of playtime, because those games were pretty damn long for platformers

• Thumbs Up 4

Good find Wil!

Sonic Boom Game Near A $20 Million Budget?
– February 21, 2014
sonic_boom_2014_header-620x250.jpg

Digging Reveals Interesting Details

How much time, effort, and money is Sega putting into at least one portion of Sonic Boom‘s success?  With a little digging, we may have a good idea of the stakes. We’re referring to a March 2013 Kotaku article that cited talks from inside Boom dev BigRedButton Entertainment in its infancy.  Looking back on the article’s key points, much of what’s explained fits Boom like a glove (our emphasis in bold):

As of mid-2010, Big Red Button was pitching IP “to publishers such as Sony, Konami, and Activision.” By spring of the following year, Big Red Button
 landed an “unannounced major project with third-party publisher,” which seems to be the title they are presently working on

Big Red Button’s recruitment copy describes the project as a “
next-gen landmark AAA console project,
” and job openings 
hint at a cross-generation “character driven, 3rd person action” title with co-op gameplay
 and 
some sort of mobile integration
. The Big Red Button copy also mentions the company is keen on “delivering authentic gaming experiences that are as fun to watch as they are to play,” so perhaps the game is not too far removed from a cinematic action-adventure title like Uncharted?

Finally, 
a producer at the studio says the project has a “$19.9 million budget” with an estimated “34-month” production cycle
 and a present studio headcount of 28 people.

If you believe this fits Sonic Boom for Wii U and 3DS, there’s plenty of information to extract–perhaps the most important one being budget.  Though certainly not the hundreds of millions of dollars top-tier franchises likeGrand Theft Auto command for development, it’s still a lot of money for what is only a portion of a touted cross-platform franchise spin-off, and that may not even include the 3DS version.  Some peg that cost above Hedgehog-engine based Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, but below Sega’s current top-tier franchiseYakuza. It’s still a fairly reasonable cost, but given how much the Wii U is flailing, there is still a fair bit of risk involved.

Second, the 34 month production cycle, if you believe that BigRedButton nabbed Boom in Spring 2011 as the Kotaku article states, would peg the game being done or very close to it right about now. That could give some credence to a recent report that indicated Sonic Boom games would release in May rather than later in the year.  Sega PR denied that report.

Third, the Kotaku article cites mobile integration, something that was mentioned at the onset of the Sonic Boom press event in New York City two weeks ago from those in attendance, but never elaborated upon by Sega.  Whether such integration remains in the cards is something we will work to find out more about.

We will continue to follow Sonic Boom developments as they come in.

Interesting highlights.

So I played Tomb Raider 2013 today (snatched it for £9 on XBL today), and I was thinking; What if Sonic Boom is kind if like that? I would actually really like something like that.

Nice, i played a bit of sly coopers, theifs in time but thats it from naughty dog. unless you count crash bandicoot for gameboy.

dr-evil.jpg

20 Million Dollars!

It's probably right... and it's also kinda worrying. The way they've handled this relaunch and the Boom Brand, they really want this year to be nothing but Boom Sonic... would explain the no shows at the Jazwares booth despite them insisting they've not given up on Sonic.

If they get this gamble wrong it could really bite them back hard.

So a $19.9m budget. Let's start crunching those numbers. If the game does the same as Lost World with sales (around 640,000 units), and each unit is $60, that means it'll make around $38-39 million. So we're looking at a $20m profit here.

Erm... I think your calculations are very wrong there. If this did the same as Lost World it would actually make a huge loss if not bomb.

• Thumbs Up 3

i just hope its longer than 06

And i know alot of you hate sonic 06 but when i was a kid, i thought it was just fine apart from the elise and sonic part if you know what i mean. You probably hate it because you suffered glitches. i was lucky as i guess i didnt but apart from ending kissing scene that game was great.

The sonic boom video game has been in development since late 2011 right after generations

Mind=blown

Hang on... $20 million dollars...

That can't be right. Because it'll NEVER make a profit. 

Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million copies which Square admitted was disappointing and a loss. It had expected to sell nearly double that and had to make close to that just to make it's money back.

Now I don't know how much it cost to make Tomb Raider but... more than $20 million? Edit: VG24/7 Suggests it was close to 100million.

Resident Evil 6 had something like a 100 million dollar development cost. Sells nearly 6 million units and still doesn't come anywhere near making it's money back.

VG24/7 says that a game with a 100 Million dollar budget needs to sell nearly 5-6 million units in order to make a profit in it's first few weeks. 

So a 20 million dollar game which unassumingly has used it's entire budget, would need to sell... what 800,000-1 million units in it's first few weeks in order to make money back? Add into the mix this is expected on the Wii-U?

Thats... not very likely to happen. In fact I can't see it happening if it were on any of the other systems either.

Erm... I think your calculations are very wrong there. If this did the same as Lost World it would actually make a huge loss if not bomb.

Yeah I probably went wrong there.

Just ran it through a calculator. Say the game sold for $60, and it sold 600,000 units. That would make a total of $36,000,000. If the game had a budget of $19.9m, that would leave around $16m.

I'm not terribly sure, I'm really tired now so I'm probably not thinking straight. I'll leave the calculations to someone else then. xD

By the way, I'm basically using "Sonic game" as a genre because it's shorter than writing something like "Character action game with focus on inertia and slope physics" or something to that effect, not some kind of dogmatic statement.  For example, Mario Kart is obviously not in the same genre as Grand Turismo.  

Yes because this is what I was arguing, or rather I'm arguing that by apparent definition of a "Sonic game" it shouldn't be.  Black Knight isn't a classic textbook example of a Sonic game and it is a rubbish game in general due to its monotonous and repetitive gameplay (though ironically it actually does quite well in a number of less important areas such as production value, narrative, characterisation and visuals), but the fact that it still somehow has a place in the Sonic series shows how loose the definition of a "Sonic game" is.  Due to how vastly different various games in the Sonic series have been up until this point, can we really entitle ourselves to what we think is a "Sonic game"?

Also, cut the attitude.  If you're going to quote my entire argument at least have an actual response as opposed to a one line straw man.  It's annoying and patronising.   

OK Sorry, I'll keep that in mind.

But I can't really make much more of your argument, seems to me that if a game has no mechanics in common it can't really be called a Sonic game.  

I think I'll need you to elaborate on the vague stance that this "isn't a Sonic game". You're not exactly convincing me with that kind of rationale.

So far it sounds much more along the lines of a more typical "action adventure" in the vein of a skylanders or a Lego game. Having so many combat mechanics is pretty much a dead giveaway.  In a pure platformer enemies function more as physical obstacles that deny some sort of area on screen rather than an assailant actually coming after you.  

Yeah I'm probably a wrong there.

Just ran it through a calculator. Say the game sold for $60, and it sold 600,000 units. That would make a total of $36,000,000. If the game had a budget of $19.9m, that would leave around $16m.

Bad idea letting me do maths in the middle of the night. God help us all. XD

You also need to factor into it this.

Taxation.

RRP Vs Wholesale.

Left over budget.

$60 sale does not equal a $60 profit. The retailer gets a chunk of that, as does the distributor, as does the developer... though since Sega is the distributor and it's outsourced it becomes more complicated.

You also need to factor into it this.

Taxation.

RRP Vs Wholesale.

Left over budget.

$60 sale does not equal a $60 profit. The retailer gets a chunk of that, as does the distributor, as does the developer... though since Sega is the distributor and it's outsourced it becomes more complicated.

Oh right, completely forgot about that. Then yeah, this worries me. I hope to god that Nintendo are paying SEGA handsomely...