Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Well....at least we have multiple playable characters again! We haven't had those since....

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

God dammit!

This guy begs to differ:

Sonic-and-the-Black-Knight-wallpaper-son

Hearing about that budget makes me really hopeful for how much is going to be put into this game, but at the same time I don't think it would sell enough unless they hyped this game up big time.

Well, this sounds like quite the big budget game. Now, if the games are crafted with full-filling effort and quality, turn out to be excellent, and both versions get proper marketing, this game should very well be able to break even and profit.

Erm... I think your calculations are very wrong there. If this did the same as Lost World it would actually make a huge loss if not bomb.

Recalculated and no, he's correct. 38-39 m. So about a 18 m proft. Oh wait. Nevermind spoke to and did calculations as I typed sorry =P

I found information guiz!

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/02/21/sonic-boom-game-near-a-20-million-budget/

I get cookie now?

A bigger budget than Unleashed and Generations!

So a $19.9m budget. Let's start crunching those numbers. If the game does the same as Lost World with sales (around 640,000 units), and each unit is $60, that means it'll make around $38-39 million. So we're looking at a $20m profit here. Remember, this is hypothetical, Boom could do better than Lost World.

20 Millon Dollar budget?!?

...I really hope the game does well, because I would absolutely HATE for this game to be the end of Big Red Button :(.

The Wii U....isn't selling and unless Nintendo payed half of that 20m budget, the game is going to bomb hard :(. I honestly wonder if Sega is going to pull a Resident Evil 4 here, where they launch the game on the Wii U first than 6-7 months latter they port the game on other systems (most likely the PS4/X1 and maybe the PS3/360) with some extra content (more levels or another playable character? better graphics?). I know this is a negative thought but isn't the whole Sonic exclusive deal for Nintendo to sudio-fund inexpensive Sonic games? Lost World's Sky Road and Lava Mountain bluntly reused assets from prior zones and I'm sure Nintendo is funding the two Nintendo-themed DLC's so it being exclusive and not selling so great didn't hurt Sega that much but if this sells bad.....I don't know. For example, the Capcom-funded Remember Me made by a brand new French studio but bombed at retail, with only a few months latter the developer filing for bankruptcy.

Anyway's back to more postive talk :), with the game having a large budget, I'm really thinking we are going to see a Unleashed-level Sonic. What I mean is that we are going to get some really great presentation here with living breathing worlds and tons of content to play (say what you will about Unleashed, the game had alot of stages with two extra Sonic/Werehog levels in addition to the main ones in addition to tons of side missions to play).

20 Millon Dollar budget?!?

...I really hope the game does well, because I would absolutely HATE for this game to be the end of Big Red Button sad.png.

The Wii U....isn't selling and unless Nintendo payed half of that 20m budget, the game is going to bomb hard sad.png

Ummm, Nintendo helping pay for the game wouldn't determine whether or not the game bombs; that's completely decided by how well it sells.

Meh, frankly, the game has a clear shot to profit, IF it's advertised, hyped, and by development standards, executed grandly enough, regardless of the 5million + audience on the Wii U. Now the challenge comes down to BRB and Sanzaru showing us what they're made of now, the effects that the Tv show might yield. marketing, etc.

Now hang on guys, don't forget they're doing a show about this too. is the 20mil budget inclusive of the money that's going into the TV show? That's one thing that really needs to be made clear here.

They really need to port this game to other systems. They just can't stick with the Wii U, it's pretty much sending the game to it's death.

Ummm, Nintendo helping pay for the game wouldn't determine whether or not the game bombs; that's completely decided by how well it sells.

Meh, frankly, the game has a clear shot to profit, IF it's advertised, hyped, and by development standards, executed grandly enough, regardless of the 5million + audience on the Wii U. Now the challenge comes down to BRB and Sanzaru showing us what they're made of now, the effects that the Tv show might yield. marketing, etc.

I meant Nintendo giving Sega a considerable chunk of the games budget; they must have payed a good bit for the exclusivity deal I would imagine.

I'm very sure the game will be pushed hard with it not only being based on the new Cartoon (which itself is going to be heavily pushed) but with real gameplay being shown in a few months getting people hyped that this will be a great Sonic game. Besides, once more information is put out, I'm sure Nintendo is going to have this game be a huge Wii U game for the year :).

Now hang on guys, don't forget they're doing a show about this too. is the 20mil budget inclusive of the money that's going into the TV show? That's one thing that really needs to be made clear here.

Now that is a very good point, which honestly makes more since to me; the show costing....I guess 10-12 Million to produce with the game getting 8-6 million for its budget, THEN the game not selling so great wouldn't be that much to swallow for Sega. The expose of the show alone and the selling of its toys/merchandise will be enough to carry what ever losses the game might have.

They really need to port this game to other systems. They just can't stick with the Wii U, it's pretty much sending the game to it's death.

I really agree with this, as even though the Wii U needs as much exclusives as it could get, this game is part of hyping up a huge Cartoon. To do that effectively, you need to have your tie-in product on as many devices as humanly possible, so future ports of this to PS3/360/PS4/X1/PC would help I imagine.

Oh god, not this again. Look, it's a game that's part of a three-game deal. So, like with Kingdom Hearts 3 (stupid as it is) the companies have their reasons.

And since when was it that everything that came out exclusive on the Wii U was pre-destined to flop and die particularly on the Wii U anyway? 

Looking on the bright side though, I'm certain the next Sonic Boom game will be multi-platform, provided there are more Sonic Boom games incubating or waiting to be green-lighted.

Oh god, not this again. Look, it's a game that's part of a three-game deal. So, like with Kingdom Hearts 3 (stupid as it is) the companies have their reasons.

And since when was it that everything that came out exclusive on the Wii U was pre-destined to flop and die particularly on the Wii U anyway? 

You know when games that sold like hot-cakes on Wii (Mario Galaxy/DKC:TF) are barley selling on Wii U. Sure, selling 1m copies of your game on a system with 4-6m users isn't that bad at all, but its still not as good as how they sold on Wii. Not to mention, new exclusive IP like Lego City and Wonderful 101 didn't do great either (and people complain "Nintendo doesn't make new IP!"....hypocrites they are man :(), so its really hard to be hopeful for exclusive software on Wii U to sell amazing.

I would love for Sonic Boom to be a huge hit on Wii U and with it being the "Platformer Powerhouse" of this new generation, maybe Sonic could do great on Wii U :).

You know when games that sold like hot-cakes on Wii (Mario Galaxy/DKC:TF) are barley selling on Wii U. Sure, selling 1m copies of your game on a system with 4-6m users isn't that bad at all, but its still not as good as how they sold on Wii. Not to mention, new exclusive IP like Lego City and Wonderful 101 didn't do great either (and people complain "Nintendo doesn't make new IP!"....hypocrites they are man sad.png), so its really hard to be hopeful for exclusive software on Wii U to sell amazing.

I would love for Sonic Boom to be a huge hit on Wii U and with it being the "Platformer Powerhouse" of this new generation, maybe Sonic could do great on Wii U smile.png.

No reason to toss away hope on that. Not to mention the fact that Super Mario 3D World hit 1 million in a manner of weeks and has quite the sales endurance.

To be fair, I am in the boat that acknowledges the Wii U as "not out of the race".

So I'm not really going to fault a third party dev who actually gives a damn about effort, doesn't let that get in the way of the process, and just powers on with their job. That's one of the reasons why I have faith, given they get their act right. And frankly,, what's to say that Lost World didn't sell well because it wasn't executed well enough. Say what you will about Sonic fans, but it takes a big, big grand game to pull them into a completely new generation of gaming. 06's marketing succeeded in that venture, but Lost World failed to be such a game. If Sonic Boom can be that big Sonic game that breaks the barriers for the better, you can bet, Sonic fans will strive to obtain it in droves.

And anyway, like Kingdom Hearts 3's evasion of Kingdom Heart's Nintendo fanbase, we'll just have to deal and contend with it.

So for now, I'll go with my trademark optimism.

No reason to toss away hope on that. Not to mention the fact that Super Mario 3D World hit 1 million in a manner of weeks and has quite the sales endurance.

To be fair, I am in the boat that acknowledges the Wii U as "not out of the race".

So I'm not really going to fault a third party dev who actually gives a damn about effort, doesn't let that get in the way of the process, and just powers on with their job. That's one of the reasons why I have faith, given they get their act right. And frankly,, what's to say that Lost World didn't sell well because it wasn't executed well enough. Say what you will about Sonic fans, but it takes a big, big grand game to pull them into a completely new generation of gaming. 06's marketing succeeded in that venture, but Lost World failed to be such a game. If Sonic Boom can be that big Sonic game that breaks the barriers for the better, you can bet, Sonic fans will strive to obtain it in droves.

And anyway, like Kingdom Hearts 3's evasion of Kingdom Heart's Nintendo fanbase, we'll just have to deal and contend with it.

So for now, I'll go with my trademark optimism.

You make a good argument there; a big reason I own a PS3 was to play Sonic Generations (I even got Unleashed HD as my first PS3 game) happy.png! I guess once more information of Boom is showed off (like a proper gameplay demo or another trailer with more gameplay, even a limited but still good demo of the game in store Wii U Koskits) people will be impressed with it the same way many were for Unleashed and Generations smile.png.

The Wii U is getting cheaper to (I learned that Gamestop is selling used Wii U Basic systems for only 200 bucks!), so I'm sure once Boom is showed off more and games like Mario Kart/Smash land, people will leap at the chance to get more Wii U's biggrin.png.

• Thumbs Up 2

You also need to factor into it this.

Taxation.

RRP Vs Wholesale.

Left over budget.

$60 sale does not equal a $60 profit. The retailer gets a chunk of that, as does the distributor, as does the developer... though since Sega is the distributor and it's outsourced it becomes more complicated.

Wanna say I've heard the publisher typically ends up with about $40 of each $60 game sold, and while it's not so simple the retailer and console owner usually end up with $10 each.  Well according to this chart they each get $12, I'm not sure how the deal is going to end up on Sega's side because it kind of sounds like Sega has essentially funded this game up front or something like that but it's really impossible to know the deal, or even, for example, how much Sega pays in income tax out of that.

Pretty sure though that whatever they get per unit sold they're going to need at least a 10% attach rate just to be in the black unless this game's been money hatted by Nintendo, which seems... possible.  It's running on Cryengine 3 which boasts a build once run anywhere production model, for example, so it wouldn't be a major job to get it running wherever (non trivial, because cert process et al is a thing), but it's possible Sega isn't expecting there to be an audience anywhere that isn't a Nintendo platform.  

20 million isn't going to cover a TV show and a game, not even close, and I wanna say we heard this figure from BRB, who while they talk about collaboration till they're blue in the face, have separate finances.  

Please Hogfather, don't turn into that guy from last year who hated SLW and then shouted "I TOLD YOU SO!" numerous times over once the reviews came out. You know exactly who I'm talking about and we don't need someone to replace him.

Speaking of, he actually likes how Boom is turning out….

….but only because it's not Sonic Lost World...

You know what? That's not really  feeling that exclusive to just "that guy" to be honest.

Oh, not me or anything. I'm guessing that quite a few people are taking a shine to Boom for similar reason

• Thumbs Up 1

You make a good argument there; a big reason I own a PS3 was to play Sonic Generations (I even got Unleashed HD as my first PS3 game) happy.png! I guess once more information of Boom is showed off (like a proper gameplay demo or another trailer with more gameplay, even a limited but still good demo of the game in store Wii U Koskits) people will be impressed with it the same way many were for Unleashed and Generations smile.png.

The Wii U is getting cheaper to (I learned that Gamestop is selling used Wii U Basic systems for only 200 bucks!), so I'm sure once Boom is showed off more and games like Mario Kart/Smash land, people will leap at the chance to get more Wii U's biggrin.png.

Heh, if experience has taught me anything, it's that a grand enough E3 Presentation can do wonders!biggrin.png  I mean if it could do wonders for Sonic 06, imagine what it can do for such a game that actually lives up to its hype!wink.png

It's been a long time since I've been so interested in a Sonic game. This gives me massive Adventure vibes, for various reasons. The budget and marketing really just look like this is the next "step" for the franchise and they KNOW they've got something good...

I'm really pumped for gameplay, this looks like my kind of Sonic game :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Please Hogfather, don't turn into that guy from last year who hated SLW and then shouted "I TOLD YOU SO!" numerous times over once the reviews came out. You know exactly who I'm talking about and we don't need someone to replace him.

What's the big deal with people talking about how they like or don't like the look of a game? Grow up. People have their own opinions and should be allowed to share them.

Speaking of which, sounds like exactly what I was saying. Though I may have still been using UltimaHedgie as my username then. I don't think I went around telling people "I told you so," though.

Once again sounds like my opinion. I have mixed feelings on it, though. I liked some of the concepts of Lost World, but I thought it did far too many things wrong and not enough right.

And I like the Sonic Boom game, hate the redesigns/new continuity (slightly alleviated by it being an alternate canon) and don't like the look of the cartoon so far, either.

Speaking of Sonic Boom, it seems one of the developers is now a member on the SEGA Forums, under the username "frostman007"

Not sure if this is already known but

Yes, we are creating a separate story for the 3DS game.

Speaking of Sonic Boom, it seems one of the developers is now a member on the SEGA Forums, under the username "frostman007"

Please dont fall of this. I doubt the user works for sanzaru games

I don't know... He might just be dedicated...

It's the same username, and this tweet seems to prove the twitter to be legit.

EDIT: Yeah the twitter is legit.

It's not that much of a stretch to think maybe one of the developers could be reaching out to the community.

Aaron Webber (aka RubyEsclipse) already vouched for him

Ah, right - please welcome Stephen during his time here on the boards! I've known him for years and he's really passionate about this project, so I'll vouch for him from a fan perspective. smile.png

That and no other user on the Forums has the Title Sonic Boom Producer under their username

• Thumbs Up 1

If the game is meant to promote the TV series and vice versa, it would be a lot better if the game was on a platform that a lot of people owned. It hasn't got much exposure on Wii U because the console hasn't sold well.

There's also the fact that a lot of 3rd party titles are shelfwarmers on Wii U, one notable example are Ubisoft's titles. I have faith that Boom can do slightly better than Lost World if it's a better game, but only slightly. And it's sad, because I really want to see this game get as much exposure as possible. I'd be okay if this was ported to PS4/Xbox One later on, but keeping it exclusive to Wii U isn't a healthy start for the Sonic Boom project.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm not counting the 3DS version since that's a different game entirely.