Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I think the fact Sonic 2 was the first co-op 2 player game already shows that inspiration...

Sonic 2 is my fave classic sonic so I'm excited.

And great sum-up there, thankies.

Presumably considering how much they repeat they worked with the animating team to create a common world for game and show, if they say there's no Chaos Emeralds in this world it applies to both tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Aye. No Chaos Emeralds likely means no Super Sonic (or Master Emerald for that matter. Sorry Knuckles), and it's even less likely the he'd be part of the show considering it's format. I'm not too fussed about it. The Emeralds stopped being interesting a long, long time ago. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah,  but they didn't say the Super Emeralds aren't in this. Hyper forms perhaps. For all we know, they might cook up some other sort of "super" form for the characters powered by who-knows what.

That's the most straw-clutching comment I've seen yet.

You never know. They did say they're bringing by back old and implementing new. Maybe they'll pay respect to Hyper Sonic or have the Master Emerald, something, grant that big turbo charge of power.

The Super emeralds are just powered up Chaos Emeralds, so that rules them out. And even if the Chaos Emeralds were in they'd be incredibly unlikely.

Master Emerald could still be in as the generic magical all powerful thingamabob, but who knows. No Chaos Emeralds makes it less likely, but not exactly impossible.

What a great first post. Thanks for sharing! Really cool to see more of that venue.

Summary:

• Map and upgrades on the GamePad in addition to the main use which will be revealed later on
  • Adventure game with currency and upgrades for individuals and the team
  • Generally more easy as it's geared for kids. Harder gameplay comes from basically being more skilled in combat and exploration.
  • Levels are all connected by the story and location
  • Primarily 2 characters at a time, but 4 in the hubs and bosses
  • You have to use certain characters for certain parts
  • Really making a deal that it's character driven
  • Characters have been put in a pressure cooker
  • Definitely going to see other characters
  • Lots of inspiration from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations.
  • "There are no Chaos Emeralds in this world."

Sounds good so far. I'm fine with no Chaos Emeralds, they appear way too often IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's... quite the bomb he dropped there.

As already mentioned, this means no Super Sonic, but it also changes a ton of things, like for example: Did the ancient echidna tribes ever get wiped out?

We've already seen a statue that many speculate to be an echidna, so who knows.

If Shadow's in this universe will he have his chaos powers?

What a great first post. Thanks for sharing! Really cool to see more of that venue.

Summary:

• Map and upgrades on the GamePad in addition to the main use which will be revealed later on
  • Adventure game with currency and upgrades for individuals and the team
  • Generally more easy as it's geared for kids. Harder gameplay comes from basically being more skilled in combat and exploration.
  • Levels are all connected by the story and location
  • Primarily 2 characters at a time, but 4 in the hubs and bosses
  • You have to use certain characters for certain parts
  • Really making a deal that it's character driven
  • Characters have been put in a pressure cooker
  • Definitely going to see other characters
  • Lots of inspiration from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations.
  • "There are no Chaos Emeralds in this world."

That's quite a lot of bullet points I don't like. My biggest fear from those points is that the currency system will be tied to rings and that will be their only use. I think it's best I keep my hype in check for now.

Bit disappointed at no Chaos Emeralds. Ruling out Super Sonic is a shame, but I think it bugs me more because if there's no Emeralds, it means more about Knuckles' character and background has been changed (not that we ever see that side of him anymore anyway).

Have to say I'm disappointed at the lack of Chaos Emeralds, this means numerous things.

I don't particularly care if they've been boring in the main canon for a while, but barring them off from Boom completely basically means we won't get to see a Boom Super Sonic.. and in all likelihood, even if we do get a story involving echidnas and Knuckles' past, it won't be the satisfying Master Emerald and Chaos Emerald mythos story we've been wanting and that SEGASonic aren't delivering.

Like.. I'm happy that the trailer implies some sort of echidna story, but without the Chaos or Master Emeralds, I can't imagine it being as interesting as it could have been with them.

Oh well.

Also yeah, Super Emeralds have no chance.

Given that they didn't dis-confirm Super Sonic I can guess that they'll have an alternate method of powering up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just because they ruled out SEGA! Sonic Chaos Emeralds, doesn't mean we won't have a Boom! alternative to them, so that doesn't rule Super Boom! Sonic out of the equation just yet.

For all we know, it might be a sort of Sol Emerald deal, but with Boom's own interpretation from them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still the most straw clutching thing ever. But if I did have a go, I'd say instead of Chaos Emeralds - even if it's just for the game - they'll have a new form of energy binders, and in a way, we've already seen something like that with the Enerbeams.

As for Shadow retaining his Chaos Powers, I'm pretty sure they'll have a new description for how he came to have them.

And since I'm looking forward to this, even with optimism, I've changed my Lost World desktop background to a custom made Boom background.

Just because they ruled out SEGA! Sonic Chaos Emeralds, doesn't mean we won't have a Boom! alternative to them, so that doesn't rule Super Boom! Sonic out of the equation just yet.

For all we know, it might be a sort of Sol Emerald deal, but with Boom's own interpretation from them.

Given that they didn't dis-confirm Super Sonic I can guess that they'll have an alternate method of powering up.

My point exactly. Given how little we even know about this universe, it's quite short-sighted to assume that super forms won't be in this just because the dues-ex-machina chaos emeralds are absent, which, I must admit I was glad to hear.

Hmm...on one hand it's good because the Chaos Emeralds have been used in the games way too much (for time travelling, for powering up and even bringing people back from the dead). I know they're not as important to modern Sonic's story nowadays but yeah, it was getting tiring. And I'm glad about no Super Sonic, he's overrated IMO.

On the other hand, this means that there's no Master Emerald and that the echidna backstory may be changed completely for this verse. Damn! I assume there will be something else in their place though (Power Rings?) and that way Sonic can still transform into Super, or possibly a whole new transformation!

I wonder what completely new sort of transformations there could be in Boom.

Maybe they'll have something that transform each characters since the main focus is Sonic, tails, Amy and knuckles. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure giving sonic the only transformation would make other players feel left out.

Hmm, Super Sonic, Titan Tails, Atomic Amy, Kilowatt Knuckles? Alliterative names for possible super forms.

We'll probably get some alternative to the Super Forms. Darkspine Sonic, WereSonic, Excalibur Sonic, etc. Jak has Eco, Crash has Crystals, etc. Some sort of power-enhancing collectible is a standard in many platformers, though I suppose SEGA America might veto the inclusion of any such thing.

With massive enemies, however, some sort of powerup tends to become obligatory.

Taking inspiration from Adventure... oh boy, this is either gonna be brilliantly unifying or incredibly divisive.

Overall I just feel more reason to get excited, myself. Hubs, exploration... this sounds like it really will harken back to the Adventure era, likely with much more on top of it. A lot of the fandom is sure to go wild over that.

I am extremely concerned that critics are going to hate this. It doesn't even look like a bad game, it looks great, but still, I'm worried.

While critics can be mean to Sonic, they still will concede defeat, as they did with Colors and Generations.

Granted I think that even when they do they still mark a few points off the top for old times' sake.

• Thumbs Up 1