Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

So, it's confirmed that more characters from the main series will be coming over to Boom the videogame, and shall be revealed by E3. Thoughts on who they might be?

I have to say, I am very disappointed at the absence of the Chaos Emeralds.

For me, the best part of a Sonic game is going Super to fight an enormous threat with the best music that entry has to offer. There are some games I play solely for the excitement and hype that going Super gives me, it's become an integral staple to the series as a whole. I get that this is it's own thing, so not everything from the main canon will appear here, but I had never even considered that the emeralds wouldn't appear.

No emeralds certainly isn't a deal breaker, but I'm disappointed all the same...

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sure some sort of alternative will appear, given the nature of the powerups. Naughty Dog made heavy use of power up forms for Jak and Daxter; Jak didn't acquire his "super form" of sorts until the end of the first game, and it was only for a few seconds.

While SEGA America still holds creative decisions, I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed some sort of power up and BRB implements one.

I mean, it's logical: if there's several levels of power ups, why not a REALLY powerful one? Jak and Ratchet alike both have it so you can become incredibly lethal by the end of the game, Ratchet in particular with the RYNO, which can tear final bosses to pieces in seconds. Super strong upgrades are a forte of the ND/Insomniac teams, so there's reason to be hopeful they'll have something.

Even if Sonic doesn't go "Super" or any other transformation, anticipate a nearly-overpowered upgrade.

...which will likely require a fetch quest to obtain. Muhahaha!

• Thumbs Up 1

So, it's confirmed that more characters from the main series will be coming over to Boom the videogame, and shall be revealed by E3. Thoughts on who they might be?

Shadow and Rouge and seeing as we've seen concept art of a character seems to be her, Marine, which would lead to the belief that Blaze might also appear.

I do hope E-123 Omega will get some love and make it in there too. Lord knows it must be killing him to be on sidelines for so long.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the fact Sonic 2 was the first co-op 2 player game already shows that inspiration...

Sonic 2 is my fave classic sonic so I'm excited.

And great sum-up there, thankies.

I'm getting more of a Sonic 3 vibe with all the multiple paths and characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

No Master Emerald means Knuckles isn't stuck on the island guarding the thing, so... yay. biggrin.png

Oh yeah, that's some really good news for Knux's, free from that annoying burden (which he wasn't so good at in the first place).

No Master Emeralds or Chaos emeralds? That's really going to take some getting used to. But as Blue Blood said, they stopped being interesting a long time ago.

I'm gonna be VERY interested to see what Knuckles' backstory will be in this game. Removing the emeralds drastically alters both echidna and his own history. Are they still around and abandoned him for whatever reason? Or did they still get wiped out in some predestination event?

It also makes one wonder about Knuckles personally. So is there any special about him at all now, or is he just a muscular guy who straps metal spikes to his fists?

The master emerald wasn't mentioned though. Yeah its sort of implied with the chaos eemeralds so you never know if it still exists

Wait, Marine's coming back? Oooh boy, here come the Australian stereotypes...

As if we didn't have enough stereotypes in the series as it is...

I like how they are not making the enemies harder by making them last long because it that was to happen, the last bit of levels would always feel like you are forever battling that one tough enemy. this happened in Sonic unleashed and Sonic heroes and im pretty sure it happened in Sonic lost world 3ds.

Was it already confirmed that this was only local or is it yet to be reveal this will have online co-op?

I like how they are not making the enemies harder by making them last long because it that was to happen, the last bit of levels would always feel like you are forever battling that one tough enemy. this happened in Sonic unleashed and Sonic heroes and im pretty sure it happened in Sonic lost world 3ds.

Was it already confirmed that this was only local or is it yet to be reveal this will have online co-op?

Local for Wii U. Hopefully the 3ds version will have online like lost world 3ds

Welp, that kind of dampens my enthusiasm a bit. It's kind of lame not to have online multiplayer with this sort of thing. I mean, sure they might want to enhance the family experience but what about people who live alone and just want to play coop? Lack of online multiplayer is a SERIOUS inhibitor to allowing a vibrant online community.

Wouldn't be surprised if Transformed returns to being the multiplayer Sonic of choice after a few weeks...

This is even more inexcusable given the Wii U has free internet access. It's not like this is XBL or PSN.

Chaos Emeralds at this point, are nothing more than squandered potential.
Lots of neat things could be interpreted from what we have so far, but that's all.

I'm going to echo a few people's thoughts on being irritated by the split-direction SEGA seem to be going with Sonic. There is no reason Boom's lore and shit, can't be assimilated into the main canon. There is no reason Boom can't function with the Unleashed ~ present, character designs (this is coming from a guy, who gives no fucks about the redesigns....I just think its pointless). At the same time, if they wanted to re-invent the francise, they could and should have gone all the way and fucking done it. Fuck everything before 2013, and straight up retcon the entire franchise. But obviously, SEGA don't have the balls to do something like that (especially after 06 and Unleashed). They shouldn't have cared about losing fans initially, and they should have worked towards winning them back by creating something good.

Right now they've got one foot on new ground, and one foot on old territory. What that means, is that they're going fucking nowhere. Find a direction and move towards it. If that means going back and bringing back what made the franchise popular in the first place, then so be it. If it means putting everything behind you and bravely walking into uncharted (pardon the pun) waters, then fucking go for it. Just don't waste your goddamn time trying to sustain a split canon, it will just create confusion (see: the American vs. Japanese backstory for the classics and the ridiculous divide that created).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm now going to go WAY back (page 16-17 or so) and address the following issue:

If I'm honest, you know what the worst part about this is? It's not Buffles, it's not blue arms, it's not the combat and it's not the lack of Sonicy gameplay elements. It's the platforms. Before the Wii U started tanking miserably, I was happy to advocate Sonic being Nintendo exclusive. But now that will stand as a big obstacle to what SEGA will want to be launching in a big way. Assuming the final products are good, I hope the 3DS version and TV show will ensure it's a success, unlike the other two games in the exclusivity deal.

I feel like this is the point. I'm not sure about the details of SEGA and Nintendo's contract, but I would imagine that they were at liberty to put any 3 games they had in development, exclusively on Nintendo platforms. They could, for instance, have made Sonic Teams' currently unknown project the 3rd exclusive and have Boom as the multiplatform game.
I don't think that's what they wanted. I don't think, they really care about commercial success.....well....they do of course, cause they want return on investment, but I reckon this whole exclusivity exercise for BOOM, allows SEGA to gauge critical reception to the new universe. Doesn't matter which game they chuck on the Wii U, its gonna be a sales disaster (largely thanks to the Wii U's position in Generation 8), but if its a critical success, then they know they have a winner and can pursue this direction further, while phasing the original canon out of the picture. However, if its a critical flop, they can drop it like a hot rock.

In either case, they can continue their partnership with RBG (if they want), by having them be the "Secondary Sonic Team", in a role not unlike the Colours/Storybook Team. Meanwhile Sonic Team unifies and continues working on games for the canon SEGA sees fit to pursue. This would create a Treyarch/Infinity Ward-like relationship allowing for the annualisation of the franchise, while maintaining a decent development time for each successive game.

Of course, they could be fucking stupid and not have all this in mind, and just randomly decided to have BOOMl; the reinvention of the franchise, be the Nintendo exclusive. That and have an equally annual Sonic schedule, except each year alternates between BOOM canon and the "original" canon (I don't think I need to point how terrible an idea I think that would be).

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow...No Chaos emeralds in Sonic Boom? O_o That was unexpected and kinda disappointing. I liked the mystery and power behind them and that they was needed for pretty much all special Power stuff-Super forms, Chaos energy..etc. I'm curious about if they are gonna replace them with something new or nothing at all.

About Knuckles...If the Master Emerald also doesn't exist. Then I guess Knuckles is just a regular guy now. Or still guardian, but not for the Master Emerald. Maybe his backstory will have something to do with the ancient land in the game. If that statue was an echidna and if it was Knuckles who said the line "This is paradise", maybe he feels an inner connection to the place. 

The game was inspired from Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations. That sounds like a game the fans have been waiting for a good while now tongue.png I really like that the game will be character driven and very story based, it seems. Can't wait for the game!

"Definitely more Characters from the Sonic Series"... Yes! biggrin.png Can't wait for them to be revealed!  I'm really hoping Omega will be in too, like Jovahexeon said. I enjoy the character and he spent alot time away from the games.

@Ogilvie; I agreed. Online Multiplayer would been great in this game! It's really hard finding people who likes Sonic games in my country. So I hoped for a online multiplayer. Atleast I got a sibling that also likes Sonic games, so I won't be all alone smile.png

I do wonder why online multiplayer isn't being opted for this time, it made some sense with platformers in the past on wii-u but since this one is going to be an adventure game for the most part I don't think stuff like input lag would be that bad unless there are some precision platforming sections. Oh well looks like its just gonna be another game I play mostly by myself again since no one I know plays sonic.

Guess it mustn't have been highlighted until now, I guess.

It's a huge bummer though with the "two players required in most parts" thing. Translation: if you can't find someone to play it with you, you're SOL.

It really should have been like All 4 One in that you have four-player functionality but can go it alone if necessary. The Wii U aspect can be covered by the fact the Wii U's likely to pick up later this year, but this "2 player only" quality is a huge gamekiller, I think.

I really hope they reconsider.

Hmm. Chooch has a point. To be fair in one of the intervIews they did say that Boom's type of co-op focused on being able to communicate with your allies, hence the local multiplayer.

Skype calls make that easy to do with online MP, though.

This is just a very poor design choice. If you're going to require multiplayer to play, by God, please make online a capability. This is basic common sense.

I understand they want Sonic to become mainstream again, but they're kind of jumping the gun by assuming everyone will easily be able to find someone to play it with them.

I'm alone most of the time. So now I have to wait for my friend to drive over in order to play? That's bullshit, pure and simple.

2 players required with no online play is probably the most idiotic thing I've seen since required internet connections for single player.

They're probably playing it safe given this is also their first attempt at a Sonic game. Although, Maybe, with enough demand there may come an update or change of plans allowing for online multiplayer.

• Thumbs Up 1