Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

ya, honestly the thing that makes me feel good is the fact that while they do say its kid and family freindly, is that both Spyro and crash were considered friendly, but they were also full involved experiences, so not too worried on that front

Let's not forget Ratchet, which despite being fully appropriate for younger audiences still has plenty of darker moments to it. Insomniac folks being on board is a HUGE plus; those guys not only have consistent quality but can work on a massively tight schedule and still produce high quality work.

Agreed SuperLink. At this stage of the announcements, they probably aren't allowed to reveal just that much yet. Probably by E3 we'll have a much clearer picture.

And yeah, it certainly does sound like they'll make Sonic the guy who performs centrally around speed! Good news to me!biggrin.png

So you mean that we got the guys who did Crash, jak and daxter,  Rachet and clank, AND Spyro working on a sonic game?! talk about a dream team

Wowsers! That's pretty much the devs behind some of Sonic and Mario's greatest platformer rivals. And now all that brilliance is being funneled into a new Sonic game. Life feels very good right now.laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Its really surreal that we have a western developed Sonic game....and its from a practically all-star team who worked on classic Sony platformers (Crash, Spryo, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank) PLUS people who made good licensed platformers (the Heavy Iron guys who worked on the Spongebob Platformers and much of the Pixar Movie games). Its great to know that we are in for a wonderful game that is going to have elements that many of us have been asking for a long time :).

Those interviews Hogfather posted made me feel even better about the game; Bob Rafai really knows how to make a great game and for him to not only have great respect for the Sonic franchise but to have the support of Sonic Team (which honestly surprised me, as I thought ST were bitter about someone else developing a Sonic tittle) shows that he will make a Sonic platformer with the best elements from the Sony platformers that him and the team worked on over the years :).

I think Sonic Team might have conceded that they can't hope to make games every other year AND have them be super good, and so are happy to see someone else take the weight off their shoulders. This takes a lot of pressure off of them, I'd imagine.

But yeah, a team of gaming vets who made all these beautiful titles makes me quite optimistic this spinoff is going to be awesome, and likely have the power of nostalgia. That's an instant way to sell - it'll draw in both older gamers and younger.

Now another question... if this does well, what are the odds SEGA will try and acquire BRB for first or second-party developer status? I don't think they'd hesitate to have an awesome team on board that they wouldn't have to compete with outside companies for, to say the least.

I think Sonic Team might have conceded that they can't hope to make games every other year AND have them be super good, and so are happy to see someone else take the weight off their shoulders. This takes a lot of pressure off of them, I'd imagine.

But yeah, a team of gaming vets who made all these beautiful titles makes me quite optimistic this spinoff is going to be awesome, and likely have the power of nostalgia. That's an instant way to sell - it'll draw in both older gamers and younger.

Now another question... if this does well, what are the odds SEGA will try and acquire BRB for first or second-party developer status? I don't think they'd hesitate to have an awesome team on board that they wouldn't have to compete with outside companies for, to say the least.

If Sonic Boom is a success....Sega would be stupid NOT to by Big Red Button; that studio is packed with talent and to have that talent make your company quality platformers based on your mascot is just too good to pass up smile.png. I can't wait to see more from this game; this might make me buy a Wii U this year happy.png.

It would be a good idea primarily because otherwise I imagine other companies might try to rent out their services. Buying them out makes sure SEGA keeps the company to itself.

There's always the chance the team could just resign again out of protest, however... but I presume there's contractual obligations to keep opportunistic game designers from jumping ship at whim.

Yeah, it would be pretty cool if they could get them as another studio but then again I can somewhat imagine BRB being like platinum where they will develop for basically anybody as long as they have the money for it.

This is why it's a good idea to always chain these sorts to you via contracts and ownership. Otherwise they'll be open to offers from competitors. BRB is a newer development company so if they do well with this, it would probably not be too pricey to acquire the company.

Now what we need is a good demonstration of this game being played in action.

Now what we need is a good demonstration of this game being played in action.

Give it a few months. We'll probably see gameplay before E3... if not one of those usual "Aaron Webber (or other key person) plays Sonic Boom" things, they'll release a second trailer with a mix of cutscenes and gameplay.

Are there any gaming events that come before E3 that we could look forward to? I remember there was an event in Europe...

I know I'm still cautiously optimistic about all this but damn, that's one hell of a development team at BRB. Surely Sonic boom will end up at least decent.

Maybe Sega will set up a contract with Big Red Button for a few more Sonic Boom games? The show is most likely going to last for about 2-4 years, so they will at least want another Sonic Boom game from them, so I would imagine that they have already made a 2-3 game deal with BRB for them to develop the Sonic Boom franchise smile.png.

Sega must know these guy's history, as many of them knows what it feels like to be tied down to an IP they don't really own and if they want to leave....they cant work on it again sad.png. That happened with Crash and Spyro, and I'm sure Sega wouldn't want for them to bleed out talent after buying them (like how that exact thing happened with both Rare after being bought by Microsoft, Nintendo with Retro after Prime 3 was finished, and Sony with Naughty Dog after some members finished Uncharted 1).

I'll tell ya one thing. They'd be morons if they didn't keep ties with BRB and keep them around for more Sonic Boom games at the very least!

Sonic and Knuckles conflict on a console Sonic game...when was the last time we had that? Heroes? SA2? 

This development makes me kind of interested in whatever story this game has to offer.

Maybe Sega will set up a contract with Big Red Button for a few more Sonic Boom games? The show is most likely going to last for about 2-4 years, so they will at least want another Sonic Boom game from them, so I would imagine that they have already made a 2-3 game deal with BRB for them to develop the Sonic Boom franchise smile.png.

Sega must know these guy's history, as many of them knows what it feels like to be tied down to an IP they don't really own and if they want to leave....they cant work on it again sad.png. That happened with Crash and Spyro, and I'm sure Sega wouldn't want for them to bleed out talent after buying them (like how that exact thing happened with both Rare after being bought by Microsoft, Nintendo with Retro after Prime 3 was finished, and Sony with Naughty Dog after some members finished Uncharted 1).

Contracts are a beautiful thing in keeping opportunism to a low, yes. If this does well I really hope SEGA signs them up for one or two more games. I guess it'll really depend on how well the show does, but if the game does well too... it could end up becoming stand alone and remain alive long after the show's over.

I mean, there's still a vibrant SatAM fanbase despite that show's cancellation two decades ago. Imagine how long THIS cartoon's fanbase could last? And how well the game could sell even without the cartoon if it's solid on its own?

• Thumbs Up 1

Better yet, let's say the show does end, but the Sonic Boom games serve as a sequel and continue the story. Boom! The games that ran alongside the story could still continue, especially if they and the show have already established a mighty fanbase!

• Thumbs Up 3

Better yet, let's say the show does end, but the Sonic Boom games serve as a sequel and continue the story. Boom! The games that ran alongside the story could still continue, especially if they and the show have already established a mighty fanbase!

I can see this very well happening. A game doesn't offer as much story as a show simply due to the manner they're released in but it's safe to presume that the cartoon canon will remain intact through the games.

We can hope that whoever's writing the games has a strong touch for continuity than Sonic Team.

I can see this very well happening. A game doesn't offer as much story as a show simply due to the manner they're released in but it's safe to presume that the cartoon canon will remain intact through the games.

We can hope that whoever's writing the games has a strong touch for continuity than Sonic Team.

Considering how great the stories flowed for the Jak and Ratchet games, I don't see that being much of an issue; Naughty Dog was able to take a colorful cartoon story and transform it into a much darker, but great story for Jak 1-3.

Give it a few months. We'll probably see gameplay before E3... if not one of those usual "Aaron Webber (or other key person) plays Sonic Boom" things, they'll release a second trailer with a mix of cutscenes and gameplay.

Are there any gaming events that come before E3 that we could look forward to? I remember there was an event in Europe...

Isn't Pax suppose to be coming up soon? With any luck we might see something at that.

Considering how great the stories flowed for the Jak and Ratchet games, I don't see that being much of an issue; Naughty Dog was able to take a colorful cartoon story and transform it into a much darker, but great story for Jak 1-3.

Oh definitely; what I mean is I wonder who the writer of these games is going to be. I don't think they'll be written by the developer, which leads me to ponder who the task will fall to. I'm hoping the same person as the show, and I hope they have more of a knack for continuity than SEGA Sonic tends to.

Isn't Pax suppose to be coming up soon? With any luck we might see something at that.

PAX East is in April, so quite possibly!

• Thumbs Up 2

Judging by the script of the show, im guessing that the dialogue will be very R&C-ish which is always a plus for me since I reallly like the ratchet and clank series' dialogue and how the stories perform a nice mix of serious and comedy moments (though i'm pretty sure it might be a coincidence since I don't really know if any of the insomniac writers that worked on those are with BRB).

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's not forget we also have a Nintendo Direct this month. Considering how much Sonic Boom has exploded over the media world, it might be in Nintendo's best interest's to help out in advertising the game at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's not forget we also have a Nintendo Direct this month. Considering how much Sonic Boom has exploded over the media world, it might be in Nintendo's best interest's to help out in advertising the game at least.

We have a Nintendo Direct this month? Where was that stated? I searched Google and found nothing on it at all. Surely if one was announced someone would've been talking about it. I'm all for seeing more info on the latest games. I'd just like to know where this information game from.

Considering all the good news around this game, lets celebrate with a theme that fits this new boom perfectly wink.png.

No doubt about it, they had BETTER use Sonic Boom as the main theme. Remix it a bit, perhaps, but they can't NOT use Sonic Boom at this point for the show... Sonic Boom. :P