Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

I wonder about that. Like yeah it makes sense and it will be a good choice to actually use Sonic Boom but something tells me that maybe not be the case in the end. Dont know...

I'd love to have it though. I wonder if they remix it, who is gonna do(new singing?) it. Can they actually do it since the whole copyright stuff? Wasnt there a problem using the lyrics? Thats why the 2011 release of Sonic CD didnt have lyrics?

And if they dont use Sonic Boom. I wonder if they will do another intrumental or Vocal theme for the game/show. It'd be interesting

We have a Nintendo Direct this month? Where was that stated? I searched Google and found nothing on it at all. Surely if one was announced someone would've been talking about it. I'm all for seeing more info on the latest games. I'd just like to know where this information game from.

It's an assumption.  Nintendo Directs happen every month or so; since we haven't had one since December, and there wasn't one in January, the assumption is that there'll be one this month.  I think it's a reasonable assumption, but still not one to be peddling as anything but an assumption.  I agree that Boom's likely to be in the next Direct whenever it comes out, though.

No doubt about it, they had BETTER use Sonic Boom as the main theme. Remix it a bit, perhaps, but they can't NOT use Sonic Boom at this point for the show... Sonic Boom. tongue.png

Sonic Boom, Sonic Boom, Sonic (save the franchise from disaster)...

• Thumbs Up 5

Considering all the good news around this game, lets celebrate with a theme that fits this new boom perfectly wink.png.

It's funny now that I think it, since Sonic Boom was the USA exclusive theme for Sonic CD back when it was first released. Coincidence maybe?

It's funny now that I think it, since Sonic Boom was the USA exclusive theme for Sonic CD back when it was first released. Coincidence maybe?

Interesting point there; makes it sound like an even better fit for the new Western Sonic branch :). Maybe thats the reason the game/show is called Sonic Boom in the first place biggrin.png!

As for the Sonic Boom theme, we don't really have a clear idea about the games soundtrack. Out of all my positivity for the game, the one doubt I have is Big Red Button and Sanzaru being fateful to the classic sonic sound, as even in the worst Sonic games, the music as always been amazing. It doesn't help that the Jak games didn't really have the best of soundtracks, but the Spyro, Ratchet, Crash and the Heavy Iron Games tittles had good even great music, so maybe these guys get the music behind Sonic :). I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team is sending over their sound team to BRB to make the games score, as they are in full support of the game :).

• Thumbs Up 1

This been posted yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHZvLwVu6HE

(this one shows a little of the conference room).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iL7Hu72Htk

"Theres going to be competition between Sonic & Knuckles"

Sorry to drag back up these interviews, but I've been thinking about them, and you know whats made the biggest impression to me:

The fact that by the way they talk they know what makes sonic, sonic at the core of it all and seem familiar with all the classic games and mythos, so yeah I think the game is in good hands

(It may also seem to me that these guys arent ones to waste potential, and that they might bring back some forgotten characters to fill roles... but thats my speculation, and as you guys know I would like Nack back)

As for the Sonic Boom theme, we don't really have a clear idea about the games soundtrack. Out of all my positivity for the game, the one doubt I have is Big Red Button and Sanzaru being fateful to the classic sonic sound, as even in the worst Sonic games, the music as always been amazing.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood would like to have a word with you :P

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood would like to have a word with you tongue.png

They took classic songs and butchered them. Thank goodness Big Arm was rushed to the emergency room and revived by Generations 3DS. Diamond Dust wasn't so lucky.sad.png

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest, I think the music will be decent, but not all too Sonic-like. The musical style will probably be in line with the show's, which I doubt will very similar to the game, but closer to generic cartoon music.

The fact that by the way they talk they know what makes sonic, sonic at the core of it all and seem familiar with all the classic games and mythos, so yeah I think the game is in good hands

Indeed, that is a definite plus. The best workers don't just work, but also love their job and what it entails. They know the source material and most likely value it, which could do a good deal for quality.

Compare to Ian Flynn being a long-time Sonic fan and the life he breathed into Archie after becoming its writer. Then contrast Dimps not bothering to really analyse the Classic titles before slapping the name "Sonic 4" on their work.

My fellow Master SSMB'rs, I have a theory about the soundtrack!

Remember how for Lost World's score, Tomoya Ohanti was pretty there by himself, and other composers who are practically Sonic regulars, including Crush 40, were no where to be found? In addition to the absence of a vocal tune for Lost World?

The thought occurs to me that maybe a good chunk of said composers were over at Sonic Boom, constructing,composing and/or serving as consultants for Sonic Boom's show and videogame(s)! After all, no one said the music department was Western exclusive; perhaps SEGA or Sonic Team feel generous enough to share their music talent!biggrin.png

Now I'm actually curious if Boom will have a new music team or make use of someone from the SEGA Sonic teams... the Sony platformers had fairly good composers all around so I'm optimistic on that front.

Jun Sunoue was sound director for Generations so it's not entirely outlandish that he'd be in some sort of musical direction position for another game at some point. Use of Crush 40 these days is primarily for nostalgia purposes, so if SEGA desired to lure in older individuals I could see them making use of the band.

However, Ohtani seems to have gained precedence so I anticipate it will most likely be him in this new title. It has been a few years since Jun Sunoue was the most prominent composer, however, so who knows if he'll contribute.

So lets speculate about how the character switching is going to work. I personally think that the game won't have character switching on the fly in stages. I'm thinking the game might allow you to switch at any time in the worlds, but in actual stages you pick a character and play through that stage as that character. The game will give you an option of which character to pick depending on the stage, but once picked there's no character switching mid stage. I've just got a feeling that's how they're going to do it. We know that most stages only have 2 playable characters. I can't see them taking the Sonic Heroes approach of making you get to a point in the level and then you're just forced to switch to use a certain ability to progress. I think you'll be able to choose one of two characters depending on the stage and each will have their own exclusive ways through a level at points, but basic progress will never be a gate that requires a character switch.

My thinking behind this is that unlike Heroes the characters aren't basically one character. In Heroes you were really just 1 character with the ability to switch to use a different ability. Characters were always in the exact same place basically. In Boom you can see characters on what looks like their own exclusive paths without the other character in the same place. Unless there's some kind of warping ability that would allow the other character to just appear at your exact location at the press of a button I feel there will simply be certain points where characters will just kind of split off and go on their own routes. I mean if you're playing in co-op it would be pretty boring if you've got to just wait there while the other player takes a route that only they can take for basic progression until the path is unlocked for you. So I think each character must have their own routes in every situation thus never requiring a character switch. I'm also thinking that the four player action that we've seen will probably just be for "warp speed" or boss type stages at the end of a zone. I don't think we'll have all four players in any normal stages.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood would like to have a word with you tongue.png

If I recall correctly, they screwed up when doing the music and had to throw it all out in late development due to licensing issues. That's why the soundtrack sucked.

So lets speculate about how the character switching is going to work. I personally think that the game won't have character switching on the fly in stages. I'm thinking the game might allow you to switch at any time in the worlds, but in actual stages you pick a character and play through that stage as that character. The game will give you an option of which character to pick depending on the stage, but once picked there's no character switching mid stage. I've just got a feeling that's how they're going to do it. We know that most stages only have 2 playable characters. I can't see them taking the Sonic Heroes approach of making you get to a point in the level and then you're just forced to switch to use a certain ability to progress. I think you'll be able to choose one of two characters depending on the stage and each will have their own exclusive ways through a level at points, but basic progress will never be a gate that requires a character switch.

My thinking behind this is that unlike Heroes the characters aren't basically one character. In Heroes you were really just 1 character with the ability to switch to use a different ability. Characters were always in the exact same place basically. In Boom you can see characters on what looks like their own exclusive paths without the other character in the same place. Unless there's some kind of warping ability that would allow the other character to just appear at your exact location at the press of a button I feel there will simply be certain points where characters will just kind of split off and go on their own routes. I mean if you're playing in co-op it would be pretty boring if you've got to just wait there while the other player takes a route that only they can take for basic progression until the path is unlocked for you. So I think each character must have their own routes in every situation thus never requiring a character switch. I'm also thinking that the four player action that we've seen will probably just be for "warp speed" or boss type stages at the end of a zone. I don't think we'll have all four players in any normal stages.

I don't think this is the case. Everything seems to indicate you'll be able to switch characters at any point. Unlike in Sonic Heroes, you're right, they will act as individual characters. But I think the other characters will be AI controlled and you can switch them on the fly like in the LEGO games.

When you come to a split with different paths only allowing for one character's skills to go through, you choose one character and the path you want.

This part gets a bit confusing; they seem to indicate, though, that you need only take one path. If the paths convene later, the other characters may have taking their own path and meet up with you on the other side. I'm not quite sure on this part, though, they didn't quite clarify in the interviews.

I'm interested in the NPC's, they seem more distinct than those from Adventure, maybe more along the lines of World Adventure, at least from the drawings we can see in some of the behind the scenes shots.

Will they be decoration with minor hints on what to do next like Adventure? Will some of them serve a purpose like World Adventure and have some missions? Or looking at the gameplay...will this be like a Sonic version of PSO or some other light RPG's and the NPC's have varied quests you can do in each large area before moving on after you do enough to reach a boss?

It has me wondering since the gameplay although fast in places looks more action adventure exploration than speed platformer.

They took classic songs and butchered them. Thank goodness Big Arm was rushed to the emergency room and revived by Generations 3DS. Diamond Dust wasn't so lucky.sad.png

Aaaaand I take that back. Turns out Diamond Dust was also rescued by Generations. *Whew*laugh.png

It has me wondering since the gameplay although fast in places looks more action adventure exploration than speed platformer.

The gameplay will be vastly different to what we expect from a traditional Sonic speed-platformer.

The focus would be on combat, co-op and exploration.

Aaaaand I take that back. Turns out Diamond Dust was also rescued by Generations. *Whew*laugh.png

It hardly counts. The Generations version wasn't a remix, more a remaster with some new instruments for some reason (same with all the 3K tracks). And beyond that, Chronicles remixed the Saturn/PC version of Diamond Dust too for Blue Ridge. And that was totally butchered!

The soundtrack for this game... I really don't know what to expect beyond something completely different. On the basis of it being slower paced and more geared towards exploration and combat, it'll probably feature tracks that are a fair bit more ambient than the norm for Sonic games. Does anyone have examples of the music found throughout the Jak, Ratchet and other such games that BRB staff have worked on before? I tried looking the team up on their website to get some potential artist names, but the only team members listed are Bob Raffei and Jeff Lander and I don't recognise any of the others from their pictures.

It hardly counts. The Generations version wasn't a remix, more a remaster with some new instruments for some reason (same with all the 3K tracks). And beyond that, Chronicles remixed the Saturn/PC version of Diamond Dust too for Blue Ridge. And that was totally butchered!

The soundtrack for this game... I really don't know what to expect beyond something completely different. On the basis of it being slower paced and more geared towards exploration and combat, it'll probably feature tracks that are a fair bit more ambient than the norm for Sonic games. Does anyone have examples of the music found throughout the Jak, Ratchet and other such games that BRB staff have worked on before? I tried looking the team up on their website to get some potential artist names, but the only team members listed are Bob Raffei and Jeff Lander and I don't recognise any of the others from their pictures.

Here are some songs/soundtracks from the Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank 1 and Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom for refrence smile.png.

Ratchet 1:

Jak 1:

As we all know, it has a very Crash-like feel and as Soniman mentioned, has layers giving the feeling of consistant movement (which could work for Sonic Boom :)).

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom:

Really captures the feel of the cartoon and has some generally great tunes; could fit well with Sonic Boom.

Jak and Daxter works with ambience and atmosphere, as in the tracks are usually composed to suit the environment it's made for, but on it's own you probably won't remember it. Though occasionally they hit the right notes of memorable and atmospheric.

The music also tends to have "layers" as in the music slightly changes whenever Jak's in a particular mode, like Dark Jak, using a Jetboard, using a Gun and so on.

Ratchet and Clank tends to have far more video game-y tunes for their soundtracks, and as a result are a lot more catchy and tends to be a bit more memorable. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGPdeabZ1HQ

Jak composers are - Josh Mancell, Mark Mothersbaugh, and Larry Hopkins

Ratchet composers are - David Bergeaud & Niels Bye Nielsen

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh! I forgot one, my favorite track from Jak 3; the main final level before the final boss:

It really is atmospheric and really sets the mood that "this is it" :).

I love the music in Jak and Daxter! <3 Though admittedly it is a lot more atmospheric and relaxing than anything from Sonic. Maybe have the relaxing music in the hub worlds and more action packed, memorable stuff in the stages themselves.

Either way, I'm very curious to see what direction they'll go in with the music

The more I think about it...having a Jak-like soundtrack for Boom sounds better and better; the consistent feeling of movement the Jak series offers with its music (not to mention how dynamic it is; imagine the music getting a completely different beat when Sonic runs or more rap-ish beats happening as Knuckles punches in combat) could really go a long way in making the gameplay and sound more at one :).