Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

Maybe it's because these are the original four and not the extraneous friends from the later games.

True, because whenever critics bash Sonic's friends, Tails, Knuckles, and (sometimes) Amy are usually spared. It's usually characters introduced in Sonic Adventure and beyond that are usually bashed (although critics did like Blaze so I guess she's an exception).

Point taken.

Also what warm reception are you talking about? This game is getting fucking ripped apart all over the place. Mostly because of overreactions to the redesigns, but nevertheless the reaction to this game so far is generally not what I would call warm.

I meant warm reception to the other characters being made playable.

You know what I think would be a good marketing strategy? If SEGA made Sonic Boom bundles with the Wii U. I think that's definitely be a good way to attract more young'uns.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what I think would be a good marketing strategy? If SEGA made Sonic Boom bundles with the Wii U. I think that's definitely be a good way to attract more young'uns.

I'd buy it. Though if there was a Smash Bros. bundle I'd probably get that first.

I saw the Neogaf Thread to and was surprised by the reaction it got...people really didn't care about the team working on the game rather than just making fun of the redesigns (notibly Knunckles, who got some priceless gifs smile.png). Some people there mentioned that former Naughty Dog guys (along with High Impact and Heavy Iron Studios) are at BigRedButton but the reaction is very similar to most Sonic Team Sonics; friends such, the game trailer looked underwhelming, ect.

I think though the game just needs a great trailer, one with a better song playing (a Crash-ised version of Green Hill?) along side some gameplay of the open levels and the different character abilities. Maybe some Sonic-like environments too (as the game looks much more like Jak & Daxter than Sonic so far).

This game might be the getting the Mario 3d World treatment; then initial reviel is underwhelming and many just write it off as boring/not as good as other Sonics for months then a new trailer comes out (or in this games case, has a great showing at E3) and people see that it will be great smile.png.

I think a sonic Extreme cconcept song remix would be more fitting

Now that would be a great idea; a cool blue Wii U bundled with a Sonic themed GamePad (man..that would be amazing smile.png) along with the Sonic Boom game and a DVD (I think that plays on Wii U?) that has the first few episodes of the show on it...kind of like how the Kirby Anniversary Wii game had a episode or two of the Back At Ya Cartoon on it.

They should have done this with Lost World, but I can see Sega America pushing this idea over to Nintendo; that could send Wii U's flying off shelves smile.png.

I think a sonic Extreme cconcept song remix would be more fitting

Considering Chris Seen is working on this, I think that would be a great idea biggrin.png!

I saw the Neogaf Thread to and was surprised by the reaction it got...people really didn't care about the team working on the game rather than just making fun of the redesigns (notibly Knunckles, who got some priceless gifs smile.png). Some people there mentioned that former Naughty Dog guys (along with High Impact and Heavy Iron Studios) are at BigRedButton but the reaction is very similar to most Sonic Team Sonics; friends such, the game trailer looked underwhelming, ect.

I think though the game just needs a great trailer, one with a better song playing (a Crash-ised version of Green Hill?) along side some gameplay of the open levels and the different character abilities. Maybe some Sonic-like environments too (as the game looks much more like Jak & Daxter than Sonic so far).

This game might be the getting the Mario 3d World treatment; then initial reviel is underwhelming and many just write it off as boring/not as good as other Sonics for months then a new trailer comes out (or in this games case, has a great showing at E3) and people see that it will be great smile.png.

Music and iffy character models aside I think it already got a very good first trailer. It showed a lot of the different elements of the game. It highlighted the different character abilities, and we got a brief look at a number of different environments. For a first trailer it got a lot of bases covered even if it didn't show much of those individual bases if that makes sense. I think this game just needs to show off some good raw gameplay footage and give people a proper idea how how the game is going to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On the whip thing, that was also used in Ratchet and Clank. Both to remove shields and to manipulate objects from a short distance (i.e. pull platforms closer to you).

This is sounding more like a PS platformer by the moment.

This could very well be a good idea, given that it was bundling that helped Sonic take off in the first place.

It would be awkward as hell if Nintendo approved this, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

And here we have GamerFitNation's interview for Sonic Boom!

• Sonic's the "speed guy"
  • Amy's the "clearer" 
  • Tails is the flying gadgets guy
  • Knuckles is the "power guy"
  • Stephen Frost mentions word of the characters having their own individual stories
  • NPC characters will be in the game
  • TV Show and game share some animations
  • Game will feature locations ripped directly from the show
  • Stephen is calling Sonic's scarf a neckerchief now
  • "Speed and combat are key"
  • Exploration is key

Ooh la la, the possibility of other recognizable character let alone, more playable sounds much more greater than before!wub.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Speaking of Chris Senn, since he's a composer, he might be composing this game's soundtrack. I dunno how you guys would feel about that, since his Sonic X-Treme b-sides weren't "Sonic-y" and most of you have probably never heard them other than Space Queens, but his ambient style would fit the environments we've seen.

• Amy's the "clearer" 
  • Stephen Frost mentions word of the characters having their own individual stories

Ooh la la, the possibility of other recognizable character let alone, more playable sounds much more greater than before!wub.png

Personally I'd like to see the Chaotix and maybe the Babylon Rogues show up as NPC's that can be encountered, either to challenge the party or to hand out missions. That'd be a nice way to incorporate other returning characters without making them playable and without having to include them all the time in cutscenes (except perhaps at specific intervals).

Would be cool if we get another team of playables, but I'm content right now with the basics.

• Amy's the "clearing character" 
  • Stephen is calling Sonic's scarf a neckerchief now
  • "exploration is key"
  • "Teamwork is key"
  • Combat and speed are key
  •  

What the!? Double post!?

Where's the double post? I don't see it. I did quote you and reply to it.

Yeah, I was referring to how in that post, I accidentally quoted myself, sorry for the mis-speech.

Where's the double post? I don't see it. I did quote you and reply to it.

Actually I was referring to me accidentally quoting myself. Sorry for my mis-speaking.

I just realized something, some members form High Impact Games (composed of ex-Insomniac and Naughty Dog developers who left those companies prior to the sequels to Jak 1/Ratchet 2) are at BRB, they worked on the Spyro PS1 series. That means we can expect very large levels with tons of stuff to do :). Here some gameplay from Spyro 2 to get my point :):

I just realized something, some members form High Impact Games (composed of ex-Insomniac and Naughty Dog developers who left those companies prior to the sequels to Jak 1/Ratchet 2) are at BRB, they worked on the Spyro PS1 series. That means we can expect very large levels with tons of stuff to do smile.png. Here some gameplay from Spyro 2 to get my point smile.png:

So you mean that we got the guys who did Crash, jak and daxter,  Rachet and clank, AND Spyro working on a sonic game?! talk about a dream team

I just realized something, some members form High Impact Games (composed of ex-Insomniac and Naughty Dog developers who left those companies prior to the sequels to Jak 1/Ratchet 2) are at BRB, they worked on the Spyro PS1 series. That means we can expect very large levels with tons of stuff to do smile.png. Here some gameplay from Spyro 2 to get my point smile.png:

Man I loved spyro 2.

If anything the levels will probably be larger but one thing I hope is that the missions aren't as easy to do or the objectives have more variety, it would be nice to get a mission where we use tails to fly through some rings over an area of water smile.png and maybe even some missions where you have to race something as sonic while quickly dispatching enemies at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do miss the days when Sonic and Knuckles were pinned as rivals. But then it got muddled when Shadow showed up, then Silver, etc.

Watching both those videos... you know what I really hate about this whole PR/set up thing?

In the second video, he talks nothing but 'Oh Sonic is like this, Knuckles acts like that' it's all character personality... well thats great but... really I want/need to know more important stuff since just about everybody knows what the characters are supposed to be like.

Sonic and Knuckles competition... I like this idea.

Knuckles being friendly is nice and all but I'd really like more rivalry. Knuckles' new look lends a LOT of reason for a rivalry - it's the old battle of speed versus strength.

I get the feeling there will be some plot element in the game and/or cartoon where they have a spat, realise how much they need each other, and then reunite. Let us remember that speed and power together are practically unstoppable, if the blitzkrieg is any indicator.

Fucking

FINALLY!!

How many years has it been since Heroes? Either way here we go!

Very glad to hear Sonic and Knuckles will have a rivalry. I noticed something interesting though.

• "Speed and combat are key"

Is it just me or have they changed their tone a li'l bit? I remember in the very first interviews they said speed wasn't that important, but now they're saying it's key? Maybe due to the backlash/worry that it'd be a generic platformer?

Anyway, I'm very glad to hear that Sonic is the speed guy. This coupled with the "Sonic is about joyous movement" thing gives me hope that even in combat situations Sonic will be about to run around the areas really fast and will be very fun to use in combat too. That's by far my biggest worry atm.

Also I understand Hoggy's concern but at this early point there are tons of NDAs about gameplay and stuff I'd imagine, character personality is the most harmless thing they can talk about which is probably why they're saying a lot more about it.

• Thumbs Up 1