Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I don't think any characters from Uprising could work as fighters. Medusa's fight just consists of her sanding around and shooting lasers at you, same for Palutena too. Only character who I think could work is Magnus.

Guys rly

Also this is Smash Bros, half the effin cast had no moveset potential before they were added, but there they are anyway. Lookin' at you Game & Watch, Zelda, Sheik, Captain Falcon, etc etc.

Don't use "they don't fight" as a reason against their inclusion..! If Sakurai and the fans wants Palutena or another Kid Icarus character in, they can definitely make it. And I personally would like to see something original as opposed to another burly heavy sword user like Magnus. I think Magnus is an awesome character 'n' all, but I think it'd be nice to go for something Smash doesn't have as much of yet.

Miyamoto considers DKC to be his baby?  

Didn't he fucking hate DKC1 when it first came out? lol

That was just a rumor, which he dispelled 3 years ago.

Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

That was just a rumor, which he dispelled 3 years ago.

Aw wow, I had never heard of that dispelling.

That's kinda heartwarming.

EDIT: But wait, "emailing"? Did email even really exist in 1996 :S hmmmmm

Edited by SuperLink

My problem's less that Palutena doesn't fight and more that she (well, and pretty much everyone else from Kid Icarus) is ridiculously way more powerful than Pit. It'd feel weird for her to shrink down and engage in hand-to-hand combat when she could just swat everyone off the arena. Medusa at least isn't a god, so that'd feel more... fair? I dunno.

Also Pit's flight powers usually come from her, even if he doesn't really use them in Smash. It'd be like Link with the Master Sword fighting Fi or something.

(and you don't gotta tell me about characters who can't fight; I've wanted an Advance Wars rep forever and 90% of the characters in those games do nothing but talk and pose)

Edited by Octarine

Yeah, it should be cleared up that the thing Miyamoto didn't like was Nintendo trying to force him to use the same graphic style for Yoshi's Island. Fair do, since Yoshi's Island looked gorgeous.

My problem's less that Palutena doesn't fight and more that she (well, and pretty much everyone else from Kid Icarus) is ridiculously way more powerful than Pit. It'd feel weird for her to shrink down and engage in hand-to-hand combat when she could just swat everyone off the arena. Medusa at least isn't a god, so that'd feel more... fair? I dunno.

Also Pit's flight powers usually come from her, even if he doesn't really use them in Smash. It'd be like Link with the Master Sword fighting Fi or something.

Well, Mario fighting Doctor Mario? :P Or Link Vs Young Link?

I dunno, I don't care much for the technicalities, I just wanna play as a cool god from Kid Icarus :'l I also doubt these kinds of things really matter to Sakurai? Plus in Kid Icarus, Pit was the one who did everything and beat multiple gods practically by himself, I think that if he did his darndest he could give Palutena a decent fight (even if she wasn't Chaoskin!Palutena).

Uh...

Pit can kill Palutena with almost no effort in Uprising.  No idea where people are getting that she's all-powerful.  Their relationship seems more like a Wizeman-NiGHTS relationship, where Wizeman/Palutena is pretty fucking powerful on his/her own, but NiGHTS/Pit can kill them with little to no effort.

EDIT: But wait, "emailing"? Did email even really exist in 1996 :S hmmmmm

Worldwide internet access was available starting from the very early 90s, so electronic communication was certainly a thing during and before then. In fact, in the 80s, emailing as we know it today was mostly something that only students or people employed under the government or military had access to.

• Thumbs Up 2

We had a Pokemon whose stats/power was so far off the charts get "nerfed" in transition to Melee so hard that it was considered an inferior character to Pichu for a time. That same game, we have a marshmallow Pokemon trouncing the King of Evil and Mario with no effort, and going toe to toe with space animals and a Fire Emblem lord. I doubt canonical powers have much of an impact in gauging character ability in Smash.

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's something viscerally satisfying about KO-ing people with Mewtwo's Up Throw.

Made you actually feel like Mewtwo.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can never feel like Mewtwo until Dan Green becomes a fully fledged Smash Bros character.

I hope Mewtwo's default form is his new one.

And he has a pansy-ass voice.

Just so I can be an asshole to everyone about it.

Uh...

Pit can kill Palutena with almost no effort in Uprising.  No idea where people are getting that she's all-powerful.  Their relationship seems more like a Wizeman-NiGHTS relationship, where Wizeman/Palutena is pretty fucking powerful on his/her own, but NiGHTS/Pit can kill them with little to no effort.

I dunno; that's just how boss fights in video games normally work. Little thing beats big thing. Doesn't necessarily mean that the little thing's more powerful in strict terms.

It's really not that big of a deal, anyway. She just kind of happens to fit every one of my personal criteria for stuff that'll make a character seem like a bad idea until they're confirmed and suddenly I don't mind anymore.

...and I'm certainly not saying that she won't be in; Kid Icarus seems like the most likely series to get a new rep, and Palutena's definitely the most likely candidate for that. She's probably more likely to get in than a bunch of characters from Brawl, at least.

uh and mewtwo is cool and i hope there is mewtwo

uh and mewtwo is cool and i hope there is mewtwo

This is a correct statement and you are objectively correct.

I think "attractive goddess and badass secondary protagonist from really good game" is a nice criteria to fill tbh.

I just think "badass female villain from really good game who was killed off halfway through and could use more time in the spotlight" is a slightly nicer criterion.

Seriously, Palutena's good! I'm the one being weird here! You're makin' me feel guilty~

Edited by Octarine

I personally like Medusa more, just because she has a reason to be an asshole.

Cause you know, she's evil.

Lack of support for Hades astounds and saddens me. Don't you want to use him while he wears his weapons-encrusted cloak that he wears for weddings and Armageddons?

Though if he's providing witty banter during a match on the KI stage that's good for me

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd be really happy with Medusa too.

Actually if both got in I'd be overjoyed. About time Smash got a female villain. I know Hades is slightly more likely and I'd love him too (because his dialogue) but having both Palutena and Medusa could make for some awesome grudge battles.

I love Palutena, but something about the way she's way stronger (and larger, normally) than Pit, and also partly the source of Pit's powers, and a radio advice character... somehow it'd feel a little weird if she was a fighter. I dunno, I think I'd rather have Medusa for a second Kid Icarus rep. We could use more villains.

it'd be totally cool and everything if she got in though she just wouldn't be my first choice or whatever man

What about Viridi?