Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Huh, Viridi looks a bit different from her KI:U model, though it might just be the way she looks in the shot.

That's the cool thing, if I recall, Viridi is the only diety character whom you never even get to see in-game, only in her 2D dialogue artwork.  You never fight her so... yeah she has no need to appear as a 3D model.

Oh, though I guess you can unlock an idol of her (I didn't but yeah I assume there is one).

That's the cool thing, if I recall, Viridi is the only diety character whom you never even get to see in-game, only in her 2D dialogue artwork.  You never fight her so... yeah she has no need to appear as a 3D model.

Oh, though I guess you can unlock an idol of her (I didn't but yeah I assume there is one).

there is also her Brief Giant appearance in her Debut Chapter and she has a Full Model in that Offering Hearts Mode, while Palutena is gone/Viridis Main Menu them is selected.

comparing the Smash pic with this  however makes me think its just that one shot she looks odd in.

...infact checking that Cutscene she first appears in, yeah, its the same Model as in the Game. She has the exact same shot as in the Smash pic, briefly.

So what do you guys think with this being the picture after all the Palutena stuff yesterday?

Counter-troll or coincidence? 

So what do you guys think with this being the picture after all the Palutena stuff yesterday?

Counter-troll or coincidence?

Nothing. Nothing at all.

I really really hope Palutena isn't a playable fighter, she's a waste of a perfectly good character slot in my opinion. 

I really really hope Palutena isn't a playable fighter, she's a waste of a perfectly good character slot in my opinion. 

How do you figure that..? She's got ridiculous amounts of moveset potential and she's a character a lot of people love?

• Thumbs Up 6

To be honest, she would seem like a rather predictable pick even if still cool. I mean.. a goddess? I mean I know that technically puts her above royalty but she still kinda does rule things.. it'd be like the fourth "princess" character in a row.

Attack variety wise though, having a staff does make for uniqueness points.

And claws and cannons and palms and pretty much every other Kid Icarus weapon, she's shown using them in the Kid Icarus anime shorts after all which means she has more moveset potential than any weapon user almost.

Also Rosalina is a goddess too. I mean I know all the playable females are turning out to be princessy but when it comes to Nintendo if you bar off female characters who are princesses or goddesses you end up with.. well just Samus. Which is more a problem with how many female characters Nintendo have in general more than Palutena's fault P:

• Thumbs Up 5

And claws and cannons and palms and pretty much every other Kid Icarus weapon, she's shown using them in the Kid Icarus anime shorts after all which means she has more moveset potential than any weapon user almost.

Also Rosalina is a goddess too. I mean I know all the playable females are turning out to be princessy but when it comes to Nintendo if you bar off female characters who are princesses or goddesses you end up with.. well just Samus. Which is more a problem with how many female characters Nintendo have in general more than Palutena's fault P:

well you also have crystal, and possibly a person or two from advance wars, but ya thats about it

Why does it matter whether she's a princess or goddess or whatever? She's different enough to the others.

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't quite peg Rosalina as a Goddess as more of just having a hell of a lot of non-specific powers.  But yeah Palutena is plenty different.  She certainly has a personality very unlike the other "Princesses".  Plus green hair.

Actually, and this is a concern for Pit too, I hope he (or they if she's in) are made to look a bit happier in the final game.  Pit looks so serious in screens so far, like in Brawl.  KI:U most certainly established a different personality for the both of them that's very silly and upbeat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Zelda was confirmed on 12/26/13 - A Thursday in my Time Zone, but a Friday elsewhere in the world.

Dedede was announced on 1/10/13 - A Friday

If Palutena gets confirmed tomorrow, a Friday, then I called it.

Lets all wait and see how wrong I am.

I don't think she'll get confirmed tomorrow because I'm like 90% sure it would happen in a Nintendo Direct which we ain't getting tomorrow.

One man's waste of a character slot is another man's treasure.

But seriously through, I don't get how Palutena would be a waste of space.

• Thumbs Up 6

57d.gif

It won't be...don't worry

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean I know all the playable females are turning out to be princessy but when it comes to Nintendo if you bar off female characters who are princesses or goddesses you end up with.. well just Samus.

Well, there is always Sami, from Advance Wars

oyO9GJy.jpg

She's a soldier. Also, a redhead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget all the girls from the WarioWare series. There was a big stink a week ago about Ashley not being playable. SHE'S not a princess or a goddess.

Honestly, I don't think there's such a thing as a "waste" of a character slot. If they weren't considered a waste to the developers, they then aren't a waste. The only character who could conceivably be considered "wastes" are Pichu and Dr. Mario who were only added to fill space, but even then, the same principles apply 

• Thumbs Up 3

Not that im disagreeing but wouldn't it make more sense if pit just used all of those since he actually uses all of these in the game, sure we have an anime short with palutena using them (which wasn't even really in a fighting scenario) but wouldn't it make more since for pit to get those and for palutena to have some of the attacks that she had during her boss fight in the game.

They'll want Pit to largely keep his Brawl movesets so Pit mains will be happy and transition easily, he'll be using some new moves but Palutena is a completely free moveset which means she can do any of the above if they want her to. Magic, weapons, the stuff she used in her boss fight, it's all possible and knowing Sakurai there's even more he could do with her.

When it comes to moveset potential I can't think of many characters with more potential than Palutena.

Like if they wanted to they could base her whole moveset on puns fourth wall breaking and being mean to Pit for no reason and that would be the tip of the iceberg.

• Thumbs Up 6

Palutena I guess wouldn't be a bad choice. I didn't think she'd be likely too early on because the Kid Icarus series doesn't have a lot of games, but there are three now and Pit's a regular... plus she'd have a great moveset.

On another not, you guys are GREATLY oversimplifying the potential for adding new female characters to the series.There's a ton of potential characters in a variety of franchises if they choose to use them. Not all of them are "iconic" to the series, but that doesn't mean they don't exist...

Ironic, given the fact that people were yelling at me previously for saying that some characters like Tharja were not going to be playable because of how insignificant they are to the series, yet no one is stopping to think about how many potential female characters could be used if they really wanted to.

I.) Mario

I do not want any new characters from this franchise, but there's a few potentials. Of course, based on how insignificant they are to the series this is HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely to use any of these female characters.

1.) Birdo

Birdo would be the next-best choice for female characters. Birdo is usually depicted as female, although Birdo I believe is really a race so there's both male and female Birdo's like there are male and female Yoshi's.

2.) Daisy

They could give Daisy a unique moveset if they wanted to. I don't think Daisy really deserves an appearance, though, honestly. She's fine as a costume for Peach.

3.) Spinoff Characters

There's a variety of females from various spinoffs, though I can't imagine any of them making it in. There's significant female characters from the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games, enemies and allies alike.

II.) Zelda

Not a whole lot of characters have been doing a lot of action other than Link, but that doesn't mean they can't give a moveset to the many, many Zelda females throughout the series.

1.) Impa

I still think that the best option for this slot would be Impa because she's been shown doing a lot more in Skyward Sword and she's done some things off-screen in OOT as well, plus being a Sage. And she's the next-most recurring character after Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. I honestly think she's got a high chance at appearing.

2.) The Other Sages

Not likely, but any of the Sages from Ocarina of Time, plus the ones from Wind Waker, would all be great candidates for playable characters. Yes, once again, they haven't been seen doing much, but they're sages. They can give them powers related to what they are. I don't think this is likely as they haven't appeared very much (Hyrule Warriors, on the other hand, I'd expect EVERY sage to be playable), but you can't say they aren't an option.

(I for one would love Saria, whom is probably the least likely member of the Sages.)

3.) Malon

Malon is probably more likely than the Other Sages, but I highly doubt it, too. Regardless, she's more recurring than any of the Sages, as pretty much all of them have only appeared in one game each and only getting vague mentions elsewhere. On the other hand, I think she has less moveset potential that the sages because at least the sages can get powers related to what they are. The only thing I could think about for her would be using a Bow, which would be based on Romani rather than Malon (but Romani was basically Malon in everything other than name).

I include characters based on Malon as part of her appearance as a recurring character. Marin (which really could've been a mistranslation and they meant Malon, which happens all the time) from Link's Awakening is very similar to Malon, plus Romani and Cremia from MM, based on Young and Adult Malon, respectively.

IV.) Donkey Kong

There's numerous potential characters that could be added...

1.) Dixie Kong

...although the only one that would be likely to is Dixie Kong. And she's definitely not a princess and has been mentioned prior on this topic, although she seems to no longer exist since Nintendo doesn't have any other female characters that could be added, it seems.

2.) Tiny Kong

Not going to happen, but she exists, too!

V.) F-Zero

1.) I don't know much about the series, but I do know that there ARE female racers. They could add one of they really wanted to. F-Zero hasn't had a lot of representation recently, but its still a possibility.

VI.) Mother

1.) Paula

Mother III never made it to the US anyway. I don't think they'll drop Lucas, but Paula is still around if they choose to replace Lucas with her.

2.) Other Characters

I don't know much about the series, but I'm sure there's other female characters in Mother III.

VII.) Fire Emblem

This series would be an excellent choice to add in a female playable character as well. There's tons of playable Lords, male and female, and any of them would be potentials.

1.) Robin

Robin is either male or female, and personally, while I think Chrom will get the slot, I'd prefer Robin. The likelihood is that if Robin is chosen he/she would be male because male Avatar is the default, but meh. They could still add an alternate female design for Robin or just make the female one by default if they really wanted to.

If Robin was chosen, too, he/she would be one of the few Fire Emblem choices not to be nobility.

2.) Lyn

Out of all potential new additions, I think Lyn would be the best not from Awakening. She even had an Assist Trophy in Brawl and was the first Fire Emblem character that US players got to know well in a localized game, so she's very iconic for that reason.

3.) Lucina

Lucina would be my favored choice from Awakening. The problem is that she players virtually identical to Marth. A Lucina "outfit" for Marth is mostlikely (although technically it'd probably still be Marth, he'd just get Lucina's mask and slight costume changes).

4.) Micaiah

A far less likely choice, but she'd make a great playable character overall. I can't imagine it happening despite her massive potential. Still, she was the main new protagonist of the previous main game (before the remakes).

5.) Other Characters

I think the above Lords are the more likely choices, but there's a ton more. Celica and Eirika are the only other main required female Lords, but several other characters play major roles in there respective games. Plus there's lesser characters who became popular... like Tharja.

VIII.) WarioWare

There's several characters who could be added based on what I've heard.

1.) Mona

She seems to be the mostlikely choice. A lot of people keep talking about her.

2.) Kat & Ana

They had an Assist Trophy in Brawl. They're twins. THEY'RE FRICKIN' NINJAS.

IX.) Assist Trophies

I personally think that Assist Trophies will be where several characters come from. Some Assist Trophies from Brawl have a decent shot at being made playable and also represents potential franchises that could be added.

1.) Golden Sun

Isaac appears as an Assist Trophy. They could design to add two Golden Sun characters. Unlikely, but Jenna would be a good choice. Another is Mia, both from the first two games.

2.) Daigasso! Band Brothers

I know nothing about this series, but the Assist Trophy Barbara looks like she could be added. Doesn't seem very likely, but this is Nintendo we're talking about. They brought back Kid Icarus and Ice Climber.

3.) Drill Dozer

Honestly, Jill creeps me out. She looks weird. But she has moveset potential. She's riding a frickin' drill.

X.) Trophies

There's several trophies I found that might make good playable characters.

1.) Custom Robo

It appears that the main one shown in Melee is a male, but there's a female called Annie, too.

2.) Clu Clu Land

Another Melee Trophy, this character Bubbles... is a female? Another new franchise they could potentially add if they really wanted to (kinda doubt).

3.) Detective Club

Melee again, Ayumi Tachibana. This appears to be a longer-run series, so who knows? Then again, I don't know how long it went after Melee, but if they can come up with movesets for Villager...

4.) Another Code

Ashley Robbins, this time from Brawl. Honestly, she looks pretty cool. And the games are fairly recent; I think she might make a great addition.

Franchises I skipped:

I.) Already Mentioned Characters

Star Fox and Kid Icarus because Krystal was already mentioned and Palutena is the one being discussed.

II.) Pokemon

Pokemon has tons of different types of potential characters, but most of them have members of both sexes. They could make the option for any playable Pokemon to have a female counterpart, or some of them could just be female already. The only other possible thing to do would be to add a female counterpart to the Pokemon Trainer himself.

III.) Metroid

The only other characters that could get in is Ridley.

IV.) Yoshi

Yoshi is a race and there are both female and male Yoshi's.

V.) Third Parties

There's plenty of character options, but they won't add new characters from these franchises.

VI.) The Rest

No real character potential from R.O.B., Pikmin, Game & Watch, Ice Climber, or Wii Fit universes. Things like Nintendo DS, PilotWings, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing (other than males or female Villager), and Elektroplankton, I'm not sure what they could add.

And that's just of the characters I know and/or found as Trophies/Assist Trophies in Melee or Brawl. Palutena and Krystal are NOT the only possible new female characters. There's TONS of potential if Nintendo really wants to expand the roster and add new franchises to the series. Whether that happens or not is up to Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 1