Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

yea... I remember the original game where 80 percent plus would kill someone with a charge beam.... good times.

Oh how I adore the Original Smash, back when Kirby was a damn powerhouse and Ness's Yo-Yo Smashes were actually effective. I also prefered C.Falcon's original Foward Smash which he does that fast flaming Roundhouse.

Indeed those were good times.

Those cartoonish sound effects in SSB64 were a western addition, presumably to make the game seem less violent. The Japanese version had more realistic sound effects like its successors.

I always viewed Melee and Brawl as the better games, but Smash 64 is my personal favorite of the series since it feels so quaint and arcade-ish in comparison. I also love its mellow menu and training music.

The knockback in Smash 1 is awful. The only thing I can say I truly liked about Smash 1 is it didn't take itself seriously like Melee and Brawl.

I mean, fuck, who didn't buy the game after this shit?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

Those cartoonish sound effects in SSB64 were a western addition, presumably to make the game seem less violent. The Japanese version had more realistic sound effects like its successors.

Seriously? That's lame.

• Thumbs Up 6

I actually liked the way SSB64 handled knockback, at least combined with the largely floaty physics. It made juggling easy and fun enough that I didn't really mind that you couldn't potentially one-shot with certain characters like Brawl did. It helps that characters actually stayed off balance long enough to get multiple hits in at lower %'s, too.

Seriously? That's lame.

They tend to make a lot of random changes throughout the series. In the original, "free for all" was called "battle royale," and the announcer said Fox's name in a lower pitch for some reason.

I don't think Smash Bros needs to be portrayed as violent. In fact I prefer the light-hearted approach they took for the western versions of Smash 1.

Sadly I don't think we'll get that kind of aesthetics again anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm more curious as to why the polygons are so blatantly easy to see in some places.

Because the camera is so very zoomed in on a fighting game where it's normally quite far out, with loads going on at once.

Because the camera is so very zoomed in on a fighting game where it's normally quite far out, with loads going on at once.

That, and it's still in the middle of development. They'll refine the graphics when they're done with everything else.

I actually liked the way SSB64 handled knockback, at least combined with the largely floaty physics. It made juggling easy and fun enough that I didn't really mind that you couldn't potentially one-shot with certain characters like Brawl did. It helps that characters actually stayed off balance long enough to get multiple hits in at lower %'s, too.

Ahh, good ole throw spam. I miss those days.

Which sort of begs the question; why do so many screenshots show off the game's ugly side that players aren't going to notice in motion?

And I think the answer is that Sakurai just enjoys faffing about and doing stupid stuff with the camera tool. :V

And I think the answer is that Sakurai just enjoys faffing about and doing stupid stuff with the camera tool. :V

I guarantee you that's pretty close to the genuine answer. I mean with a game like this, how can you not want to make screenshots like that? Things like this make Sakurai seem as much a player himself as any of us.

• Thumbs Up 3

If Mewtwo gets back in, I hope they understand how shit he was last time and make him much better.

Can't get over those amazing throws, though.

I'm more curious as to why the polygons are so blatantly easy to see in some places.

in any game you're gonna see the polygons if you zoom into that model more than the game intended. Why are we still addressing polygons we can see in an unfinished game with a developer camera screenshot?

Everybody's glossing over the fact that the picture represents Mario proposing to Peach.

Mario is proposing to Peach. Took you 27 long enough years to do it.

Even I know you will chicken out and it's not canon.

• Thumbs Up 5

That, and it's still in the middle of development. They'll refine the graphics when they're done with everything else.

MMhmm.... remember when Generations and other games that had a screenshot of him close in mid development? His eyes were blurry or something was off? Same thing...  we probably got till NEXT summer or father down the road till the game comes out.

MMhmm.... remember when Generations and other games that had a screenshot of him close in mid development? His eyes were blurry or something was off? Same thing...  we probably got till NEXT summer or father down the road till the game comes out.

First of all, we shouldn't really be expecting any significant graphical changes in a game like Smash, especially where problems only present themselves when zoomed in stupidly far.

Secondly, Generations didn't change at all. The reason those pictures were blurry is because Sonic was very far away from the camera, the game was running at a sub-HD resolution and the screenshots were for some reason rendered at insanely high resolutions.

They're re-enacting the games' final battles

Mistress Hand is the final boss. You heard it here first.

mistress Hand as final boss? Well, it seems the smash team chose the Right hand for the job!

• Thumbs Up 2

mistress Hand as final boss? Well, it seems the smash team chose the Right hand for the job!

Ba Dum Tish!

• Thumbs Up 1