Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

T.Link played vastly superior pretty differently to Normal Link's playstyle in Brawl

This is kind of my problem with him. He renders the other Link almost pointless because he's so much better. Link does have his own advantages but they're sorta outweighed by his bad recovery and sluggishness. I was kind of hoping that if Toon Link didn't return, regular Link would be a little more well-rounded.

I know a lot of people don't put a lot of stock in tier lists, especially when there's a difference in how this game is played on normal and competitive levels, but I think it's worth noting that in nearly every edition of every list for Smash 1 and Brawl, Link was at or near the bottom. He's better in Melee but only low-mid at best. What this tells me is that there's probably something wrong with Link on a fundamental level. 

With that said, I do LIKE Toon Link as an alternative, but I would prefer it if we had one good Link. 

Plus, with him and Luigi both getting in, I am a tad worried that we may end up with more clones

Luigi's not really a clone. He only shares a handful of moves with Mario, and the ones he does generally have different properties. 

(i love that they are using the WWHD model of TL) 

Nah, it seems to be a different model. He definitely looks better than he did in Brawl though. 

Also just to compare SSB4 TL to Brawls design wise:

main.png Toon_Link.png

The difference is VERY distinguishable. I love the whole "less is more" approach they used. He's less detailed and the colors are much more vibrant. It really brings out that cartoony vibe and atmosphere in TL.

• Thumbs Up 8

I love love love the new art style, it's exactly how I pictured a Nintendo crossover universe to look and every character looks like they were meant to be in a game together.

Brawl's art style is pretty unfitting for universes it set out to represent, however I think it'd be pretty fitting and look really nice for PSABR.

I love Toon Link, but at this point I'm just sick of clones. We're at the 4th instalment and we're still getting them. Whats up with that? But I guess I can't complain, I loved playing as TL in Brawl and if Smash 4 winds up being less floaty Toon Link will better than ever.

Also the art style fits with TL perfectly, he's soooo adorable.

I prefer the older look. Toon Link in SSB4 looks less like an actual Wind Waker character and more like some kind of wooden figure or a pixar character or something. 

Wah is fine, but She-Wah is fine too.

actualy, on a series note, it is year of luigi, it would make sense that his rival/antithesis would go ingame to honor that XD

and his name IS Wa-LUIGI

Edited by Mandobardanjusik
  • Thumbs Up 1

actualy, on a series note, it is year of luigi, it would make sense that his rival/antithesis would go ingame to honor that XD

Waluigi is less like a rival more like that one guy that wont stop following Luigi around  

I prefer the older look. Toon Link in SSB4 looks less like an actual Wind Waker character and more like some kind of wooden figure or a pixar character or something.

>looks less like a Wind Waker character

....I completely disagree. If anything the brawl version feels less like it. probably because of the added details. I mean the hair and roughed up clothes...no.the simplicity (especially with the hair) and vibrant colors make him feel much closer to his wind waker version. Don't know where the wooden figure complaint comes from. I mean, you might as well say what you're saying about TL for his WWHD or the original version as well.

Edited by Jake from State Farm

I ain't seeing much difference either, but he looks like how I would truly picture a HD Wind Waker.

Still looks better than the Brawl version.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see him in motion, but to me he looks a bit less unique and more....generic. Like he's lacking in the charm the other models had.

Again, that's just me. 

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see him in motion, but to me he looks a bit less unique and more....generic. Like he's lacking in the charm the other models had.

Maybe it's that the colors are toned down for this model? He's a bit less vibrant, which I think is fine by me, but might take a touch of the charm off for you.

Maybe it's that the colors are toned down for this model? He's a bit less vibrant, which I think is fine by me, but might take a touch of the charm off for you.

Brawl Toon Link had toned down the colors and I think that one looked fine.

I guess it was because that one was more aiming for it's own style. 

I'm glad Toon Link's back I guess. Would've preferred LTTP Link since Between World's is coming out, but whatever.

I don't like how this is yet another veteran they've decided to unveil instead of a newcomer. I really hope the next character update is a newcomer.

I wish they'd fix his eyebrows. That's about it.

This is the only thing that bugs me.  It's a small little detail that serves a much bigger purpose; Toon Link is all about the expression in his face, and having his eyebrows visible at all times greatly helps in showing emotion.  I really do hope they fix it; Wind Waker HD's early images had the exact same problem but it was fixed for release.

Edited by Wonder Nix

Waluigi is less like a rival more like that one guy that wont stop following Luigi around  

That's because he secretly likes writing sassy erotic fanfiction of him and he has to study his subject closely.

22649_900.png

Toon Link...?

...And I Must Scream...

Seriously, what the hell is he thinking? Its bad enough having clones. Its far worse having a clone that's just another version of the exact same character. Yeah, TECHNICALLY each Link is a different Link, but that doesn't change the fact that Link is still Link. Young Link, Modern Link, Classic Link, Toon Link? He's still Link. PERIOD.

I'd have rather them dropped Toon Link and not bring back another replacement for Link so they can actually add a NEW character instead. Heck, they could've dropped Link and revamped Ganondorf's moveset. Granted, if Toon Link's in there's no way Ganondorf isn't, and there's still the chance Ganondorf isn't a clone this time. But I have a hard time believing that's the case. Even if Ganondorf IS in with a revamped moveset, they could've replaced Toon Link with another totally new character from the Zelda series, or from another franchise all-together.

Plus, as others have noted, Link himself really needs improvements.

NOT happy about this at all.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seriously, what the hell is he thinking?

"It's easier to update a character from Brawl than it is to create a character from scratch, and people who liked Toon Link would be disappointed if he was cut", maybe?

This isn't the ideal situation, maybe, but I hardly see reason to get angry about it.

• Thumbs Up 6