Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

It would have always been compared. People are STILL comparing Melee to Brawl. to think WiiU and 3DS won't be compared at all regardless is just silly.

Good thing I'm not being that silly then.

I said comparing them as though they're the same. I think that's what Nintendo is setting themselves up for with the two games existing as one project, where the development of one game is affecting the other.

Edited by Blue Blood

Were all expecting that quick screenshot of the day to be a Galaxy stage. Watch it surprising us all when its revealed to be something entirely different tongue.png

If you're talking about the night one with the starry sky, I'm pretty sure it's just Battlefield

Don't quote me on that though :<

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

If you're talking about the night one with the starry sky, I'm pretty sure it's just Battlefield

If you're talking about the Kirby one, it uses Galaxy's lighting.

Am I seriously the only one that thinks these graphics are pretty bad for a Wii U game? The character models seem very low-poly, as if they just took the Brawl models, changed some textures and called it good. For an 8th Generation title, this is just unacceptable.

It would have always been compared. People are STILL comparing Melee to Brawl. to think WiiU and 3DS won't be compared at all regardless is just silly.

Why is this a bad thing when Melee was arguably (and in my opinion) better then Brawl due to (arguably and IMO) better event matches, better balance between gimmick and non-gimmick stages and a better fighting engine and physics?

Am I seriously the only one that thinks these graphics are pretty bad for a Wii U game? The character models seem very low-poly, as if they just took the Brawl models, changed some textures and called it good. For an 8th Generation title, this is just unacceptable.
The models aren't the problem. I can tell you for a fact that every character model is new and significantly higher poly than Brawl, as well as the textures all being HD comparative to Brawl's 256x256 character textures. Additionally this game uses a superior lighting engine and a larger variety of texture maps (such as bump maps) compared to Brawl. Not to mention it all will still most likely run at 60 fps. The problem comes from poor rigs and clipping issues, the same ones Brawl had for the most part.

Good thing I'm not being that silly then.

I said comparing them as though they're the same. I think that's what Nintendo is setting themselves up for with the two games existing as one project, where the development of one game is affecting the other.

We know for a fact that they're planning to have some degree of connectivity between the two games, and that calls for the two games to be developed in tandem.

The models aren't the problem. I can tell you for a fact that every character model is new and significantly higher poly than Brawl, as well as the textures all being HD comparative to Brawl's 256x256 character textures. Additionally this game uses a superior lighting engine and a larger variety of texture maps (such as bump maps) compared to Brawl. Not to mention it all will still most likely run at 60 fps. The problem comes from poor rigs and clipping issues, the same ones Brawl had for the most part.

You do realize this is a game defined on low poly, poorly rigged and hollow graphics right. Unless you are talking the gigantic leap from the N64 to the Gamecube, there really isn;t as much emphasis on graphics in Smash. That's on two factors: The Nintendo systems where never powerful to begin with, and most of the processing power went into the fighting engine, the items, the distractions, the backgrounds and so forth, leaving a fair chunk to use for the graphics but never enough to do any serious details or rendering, just fancy textures and patterns.

This is a good thing, be cause it allows for Smash to be as fast-paced and exciting as fans grew to love it. Hell, this game would be even more bonkers if this was on sprites . Compare any fighting game (SF, MK, KOF, KI) to their modern day installments, and you'll notice with more emphasis on graphics, the games became a bit more floaty and slower to compliment all that rendering and model animation that has to take place. 

Seriously, if Smash where ever to look like say...the new Killer Instinct, I would doubt the game would be able to pull out mad shit like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPlP4zvX0lQ&feature=player_embedded

off topic, can Sakurai hire a hip-hop producer to make some tracks for Smash? I'm in the mood to Wombo Combo to some jazzy rap :D

And yet overall Brawl is still one of the best looking games on the Wii. Rigs the standard of the rigs you would see in a GC game are hardly acceptable for a WiuU title regardless, especially when everything else has been improved visually. It's jarring more than anything. And honestly there is A LOT more to games being fast paced than the graphics. It's down almost entirely too how the engine is built. Brawl for example is slower and floatier than a lot of the games you stated (games like SF3 3rd Strike and UMvC3 are way faster for example) and almost all the games you spoke about run at 60 fps anyway.

eUhWMHc.jpg

This is a screenshot from a game that is on a console that is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Had I not known this, I would have guessed this is an HD port of a Gamecube game or something.

You do realize this is a game defined on low poly, poorly rigged and hollow graphics right. Unless you are talking the gigantic leap from the N64 to the Gamecube, there really isn;t as much emphasis on graphics in Smash. That's on two factors: The Nintendo systems where never powerful to begin with, and most of the processing power went into the fighting engine, the items, the distractions, the backgrounds and so forth, leaving a fair chunk to use for the graphics but never enough to do any serious details or rendering, just fancy textures and patterns.

This is a good thing, be cause it allows for Smash to be as fast-paced and exciting as fans grew to love it. Hell, this game would be even more bonkers if this was on sprites . Compare any fighting game (SF, MK, KOF, KI) to their modern day installments, and you'll notice with more emphasis on graphics, the games became a bit more floaty and slower to compliment all that rendering and model animation that has to take place. 

I have to disagree. The N64 was the most powerful console for the generation it was part of (it kicked the PS1 and Saturn's asses, that's for sure), and the Gamecube was on par with the Xbox in terms of power, and was more powerful than the PS2 and Dreamcast, so I don't really know how you can say "Nintendo systems were never powerful to begin with", when the only "weak" Nintendo system is the Wii. The gap between Wii U and PS4/XBOne is nowhere near as large as the gap between Wii and PS3/360. And yet, Brawl was one of the best-looking Wii titles graphically. Melee was also pretty good graphically as well, there were plenty of games released after it that had shittier graphics than Melee, and Melee was released only a month after the Gamecube's launch. If Brawl could pull off those graphics on a console as weak as the Wii, then a Smash title on the Wii U can definitely pull off a fast-paced fighting game with top-notch graphics, after all, Melee and Brawl did it.

Edited by Chaos Rush

eUhWMHc.jpg

This is a screenshot from a game that is on a console that is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Had I not known this, I would have guessed this is an HD port of a Gamecube game or something.

I'm not sure you should be judging the game's graphical prowess on an extreme closeup of Luigi's face.

Edited by Cola

After looking at the Kirby pic with the Galaxy artstyle, I'm completely fine with the way this game is shaping up visually.(I mean it looked great before to me, but that just pushed me over into gsjenshuandi!)

Too bad, I'm quoting you anyway. >=)

35cisci.jpg

screen-7.jpg

honestly, I never cared for the "graphical" part of any Smash. As long as it played well and it was fun.... I never cared. I think the game is shaping up quite beautifully for the time being and as long as the graphical output of the game doesn't affect online play in any way.... I'll be happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

lol the game's still a year away.

Nintendo always applies polish to their games. Remember Pikmin 3? Well that was originally a Wii game, and this is being made specifically for the Wii U. 

It's not even an issue of game polish, though.  Most of the crap that people seem to have issue with are things that are only visible due to the pictures being super zoomed in.  In the vast majority of actual gameplay circumstances, people won't be able to notice these things.

There better be more playable females. I know Zelda is inevitable but just adding WFT is not the solution to the greater problem of Smash being a sausage fest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Today's pic:

H1RFhIx.jpg

Sakurai bringing the fetish fuel!

Also, you guys liked my Rosalina edit

so here's a fire Mario

lPv5yJR.png

I wanna say it's more along the lines of what I think is referred to as an algorithm dance.