Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

It's not even really a developer camera per se - you've been able to look at the battlefield in three dimensions in literally every Smash game ever made, so it begs the question of whether or not this previewer has even played one at all.

To say nothing of how stupid you'd have to be in order to take Sakurai's light-hearted captions that seriously here.

It's not even really a developer camera per se - you've been able to look at the battlefield in three dimensions in literally every Smash game ever made, so it begs the question of whether or not this previewer has even played one at all.

To say nothing of how stupid you'd have to be in order to take Sakurai's light-hearted captions that seriously here.

You've never been able to view the stages to the degree of what Sakurai is showing us through, he can pratically go all over the damn place for a pic, also zoom in and out a lot more than you usually can.

• Thumbs Up 1

eldin_bridge_by_hime_sensei-d5u4na6.jpg

Oh really, now?

Even discounting that, if anything, the fact that this isn't the first screenshot Sakurai's shown on a slanted angle should've been a pretty dead giveaway.

While we still haven't seen any from a dramatically not-side-on angle, wouldn't it be super cool if with all this extra processing power we get the ability to point the camera -anywhere-?  Like you can view the battle from the other side if you want to.  Though admittedly that'd be a problem regarding up-close scenery behind the players (for example doing this on Green Greens in Melee would have just given you a view of Whispy Woods blocking the action) so it'd take a lot of programming for clever "invisibility" of objects in the foreground and... yeah prolly not worth the effort.

STILL in theory it'd be cool!

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt that would be all too hard. Animal Crossing makes stuff in front of you disappear when you move the camera up.

Yeah but I mean designing whole stage elements to do the same just for taking photos would be a bit of work to make it look good and react intelligently to the camera (i.e. what if you WANT some of Whispy's leaves in the foreground).  I guess in screenshot mode there could be a toggle to turn on and off foreground scenery removal.

@BlackLightning

Still slanted. Sakurai's picture is farther than the limitations.

But you still have a point. It's silly to assume it's a cutscene.

Well, here is a thought, what is they made it so the gamepad can be a non-playble Camera observer? I think we could have better veiwpoints than we ever had before!

• Thumbs Up 1

They really like to show off the Pilot Wings stage I've noticed. It better be worth it once we start playing on it. XD

Yes they do and it seems to be shaping up to be a good stage. It gives a Starfox vibe to it (that stage from Brawl, forget what it was called) but a bit bigger and without secondary higher tier platforms.

Your thinking of Lylat Cruise, only difference is that you'd have to hop from the Yellow plane to the Red plane at some point.

Yellow plane is all flat, the Red one as two sets of wings kinda like Tails's Tornado. The planes might possibly do stunts too to try to throw you off, like a ........

BARREL ROLL!

• Thumbs Up 1

Your thinking of Lylat Cruise, only difference is that you'd have to hop from the Yellow plane to the Red plane at some point.

Yellow plane is all flat, the Red one as two sets of wings kinda like Tails's Tornado. The planes might possibly do stunts too to try to throw you off, like a ........

BARREL ROLL!

Oh okay, I knew it was lylat something XD The concept of the Pilot Wings stage seems pretty damn cool. You know stage I really liked in Brawl that I hope makes a comeback.... Delfino Plaza.... best "scrolling" stage ever if you ask me

There was an article over at EventHubs that they're been carefully rebalancing every character and so far in the tests, Donkey Kong came out on top. Personally, i'd love if DK can get some buffs to get more playtime, but thas my opinion. Who do you guys want to see get changed and why?

There was an article over at EventHubs that they're been carefully rebalancing every character and so far in the tests, Donkey Kong came out on top. Personally, i'd love if DK can get some buffs to get more playtime, but thas my opinion. Who do you guys want to see get changed and why?

DK for top tier?

Fuck yeah.

I think the game overall could really benefit from a uniform hitstun increase, but off the top of my head I think characters like Jigglypuff and Sonic stand to gain the most from it. A lot of their game depends on getting plenty of hits in quick succession, and you can't really do that if they're able to airdodge before any kind of followup is possible.

I'm already mostly content otherwise, though. I juggle a lot of characters anyway, so if someone stops being fun to play there's always a good 15-20 others I can toy around with.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, here's something new.

35cisci.jpg

We haven't seen a stage taking place with a starry sky yet, have we?

Ideas on what the stage might be? Magolor's arena? Final Destination?

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 5

Well, here's something new.

We haven't seen a stage taking place with a starry sky yet, have we?

Ideas on what the stage might be? Magolor's arena? Final Destination?

I'm hoping for Good Egg Galaxy or any other Mario Galaxy stage.

GoodEggGalaxyMania.pngDVDpPVW.jpg

Although part of that is because of the game's amazing soundtrack.

Here's what Sakurai has to say.

"Pic of the day. Isn't Kirby drawn with a familiar artsy style?"

I do see a resemblance, and the Wii version levels are based on console games, after all.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 2

That skybox certaintly looks a lot richer than any Mario Galaxy that comes off the top of my head. Even the Cosmic Observatory looks plain by comparison, particularly when you're looking dead centre.

Cosmic_observatory.jpg

Still hope it's a Galaxy-based stage regardless, because at least that would indicate they were doing something new with it, unlike "port the level geometry verbatim without even updating the textures to post-Wii resolution" Skyloft.

Edited by Blacklightning

I don't doubt that there will be a stage based on SMG. I think a Galaxy stage should ideally have a gravity gimmick though I'm not sure how they'd go about implementing it.

But Good Egg Galaxy almost seems like too obvious a choice for a Galaxy stage though, and this is a beef I had with Brawl as well when it came to choosing areas to represent games. While there are quite a few 'out there' choices for stages I find stuff like the Pokemon Stadiums, Smashville, Pirate Ship and Luigi's Mansion to be too much of generalisations of the game's they're representing and I'd much rather they chose an actual location from those games. On the other hand stuff like Delfino Plaza is just a boring way of representing Super Mario Sunshine, the hub world? really?.

Fuck yes a Galaxy stage. I know everyone kinda expects it, but it's fantastic to have some sort of confirmation. No doubt my favourite pair of games from the last generation.

I kinda hope it's not Good Egg though, I wouldn't be surprised if it was but Good Egg is chosen for every Mario Galaxy representation. It'd be great to go for something more interesting.

So long as it has a great selection of nods and music from both Galaxy games though, I'm happy. I also hope Rosalina makes some kind of appearance assuming she won't be playable (if she's playable that'd be even better).

I think the game overall could really benefit from a uniform hitstun increase, but off the top of my head I think characters like Jigglypuff and Sonic stand to gain the most from it. A lot of their game depends on getting plenty of hits in quick succession, and you can't really do that if they're able to airdodge before any kind of followup is possible.

I'm already mostly content otherwise, though. I juggle a lot of characters anyway, so if someone stops being fun to play there's always a good 15-20 others I can toy around with.

Even with a uniform hitstun increase Sonic would still be pretty damn mediocre in Brawl. The problem with him outside of not being able to kill is that despite being Sonic the vast majority of his moveset is slow, easily punishable and linear as hell. There's little to no point in having both Spin Dash and Spin Charge and his Homing Attack sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1