Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Yep that's pretty much it.  2 Star is 57, 1 Star is 55 (might be 54 so 1st twice 2nd twice).

Actually, you don't need all 60 points for the 3 star ranking - I've managed it with less than that before, definitely. I think it's got something to do with how many coins you collect as well, so basically you just want to get 1st place as many times as you can and get as near to the maximum coin total as you can on every race, then you're basically guaranteed 3 stars.

Difficulty-wise, I'm finding that (on 150cc and Mirror mode) the AI seems to swing quite wildly from pretty easy and bearable to absolutely dickish. Which is a bit annoying really, as I've had 3 excellent races in a Grand Prix, only to get bombarded by items or knocked off edges at the most stupid of moments in the final race and end up losing out on the gold trophy by a point or two - meaning I have to redo the whole damn thing again.

Luckily it's not so much of a problem that I want to give up in frustration, but the computer opponents definitely don't play nice on the higher difficulties when they put their minds to it.

I'm that dingus that uses Mario or Luigi. No others but the brothers, nah mean.

I mostly use bikes but I'd use the pipe-frame kart if THIS GAME WOULD GIVE IT TO ME

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, you don't need all 60 points for the 3 star ranking - I've managed it with less than that before, definitely. I think it's got something to do with how many coins you collect as well, so basically you just want to get 1st place as many times as you can and get as near to the maximum coin total as you can on every race, then you're basically guaranteed 3 stars.

I think Silentdoom is right. 60 pts pretty much ensure 3 Stars everytime. And I never got a single star or better with 53 or less points no matter how maxed out I was with coins, so yeah. The ranking criteria is rather simple this time around. Maybe coins have something to do with it, but it's easier to just go for the score.

I started playing online some days ago after taking many attempts doing 3 Stars in every Mirror Cup. Don't know if online was a good warmup or something, but when I came back for the 150cc cups I literally aced every single one of them first try. Either I was lucky or the AI didn't want to push a fight, still it's sort of baffling how much you can improve with online and mechanics mastery alone!

I think playing online, due to being less segmented compared to playing in a GP, keeps that "just one more game!" temptation going so you really learn the tracks through repetitive play.

I enjoy Waluigi and the Duke myself, but I have yet to unlock many karts sadly :(

Yoshi / Yoshi Bike / Roller / Cloud Glider. Great acceleration and handling, and, of course, Yoshi.

@Visionary: That image is just glorious.

I enjoy Waluigi and the Duke myself, but I have yet to unlock many karts sadly sad.png

This man has good taste.

No lag as far as I'm aware.

Though there is a serious disconnect issue going around somewhere.

Not affecting many at a time in some cases, affecting many in others.

That doesn't stop the online being good when you can get a few matches in though.

Yoshi knows you suck.

rpyxgi7s4thuivwbehki.gif

tumblr_m0fj5259K41rqfhi2o1_400.gif

MY FUCKING SIDES. THEY HURT. XD

Seriously, this game is a gold mine for gifs like this. First Death Stare Luigi, now Asshole Yoshi.

http://1drv.ms/T9YQmt

So I cooked up a little way of us all documenting our time trials for every track in one place. Basically, put your name in the top cell in the first available column from the left and then match your times with the row of the track in question.

Just figured this would be really handy for those of us who want to compete in time trials!

This shit better get patched out or online is going to be ruined.

Too late. World record time on Donut Plains 3 already spams it throughout the entire track and that's not even the beginning of the barrel, most likely. Unless Nintendo looks through everyone who's used the technique individually I dunno how patching would help...

Mario Kart Has A New Controversial Technique Called 'Fire Hopping'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaQx5ouVfs

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

This shit better get patched out or online is going to be ruined.

It doesn't look that hard to perform, though, unlike those crazy glitch shortcuts in MKWii.

Maybe I just don't care much since I'm not all that competitive.

http://1drv.ms/T9YQmt

So I cooked up a little way of us all documenting our time trials for every track in one place. Basically, put your name in the top cell in the first available column from the left and then match your times with the row of the track in question.

Just figured this would be really handy for those of us who want to compete in time trials!

Too late. World record time on Donut Plains 3 already spams it throughout the entire track and that's not even the beginning of the barrel, most likely. Unless Nintendo looks through everyone who's used the technique individually I dunno how patching would help...

I specifically meant online races, but hopefully they can do something about leaderboards, too. 

I need to try this "fire hopping" in single player. I probably won't use it online at all though as it wouldn't really be fair. I'm a good sport. ;)

I specifically meant online races, but hopefully they can do something about leaderboards, too.

This is why I hate leaderboards. It's always exploiters and hackers at the top.

It's not exactly hacked if the game lets you do it, I honestly think there's always going to be people figuring out how to go faster on laps no matter what you do, it's kind of admirable when you think about the dedication in finding new techniques to get faster lap times.

• Thumbs Up 6

So this is pretty much wave dashing in Melee or better yet snaking in mario kart DS? If that's so there's nothing to complain about

• Thumbs Up 5

This is why I hate leaderboards. It's always exploiters and hackers at the top.

Hackers and exploiters really can't be put into the same boat.  Using a hack doesn't require any sort of skill or knowledge on how to play the game.  It's just an instant victory, and doesn't reflect on the player's skill at all.  An exploit still requires application and knowledge of the game's mechanics.  In order to nail those leaderboard times players still need to hit their drifts perfectly and use their Mushrooms at the right time.

The same could essentially be said about speed running games.  You'll be extremely hard pressed to find a top level speed run that doesn't make use of some kind of exploit. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Speaking of hacks, I came across my first cheater online today, or it at least felt that way. Whenever I tried throwing green, red or blue shells at this guy his kart/character would disappear from the map altogether so Red shells had nothing to home in on, but he ended up winning the races anyway, needless to say it was infuriating, but in the end I jumped from 1200 MK points to 1370 points and ultimately beat him before he disconnected in a huff lol.

Definitely some weird online stuff going on recently, in the SSMB daily tourney there were 8 of us in the match and half of us got disconnected at the start of Dolphin Shoals, so when we tried to rejoin we missed out on our 5th race of 8 AND we were split into another room with me, Jimmy, Spinny, Winston and Kaolin! So I definitely wasn't pleased tonight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't look that serious,

I forget, what's wrong with the monsters tires in MK7?

Well, they were just way too overpowered for one.

Bonuses in Speed, Weight AND Off-road just made them way too good.

Now, I trust that Nintendo is keeping track of the game, Time Trails and all for this "Fire Hopping" thing, they could possibly patch it, through it's not too big of a deal honestly.

At least it's not Snaking, that can forever rot in hell.

Think it could be because more people are buying the game. It wasn't like this on Saturday or Sunday, so it could be Nintendo's servers are struggling to handle the traffic (heh, get it?).