Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Well I FINALLY unlock ROSALINA, she's the last character I got!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I FINALLY unlock ROSALINA, she's the last character I got!

Funnily enough, she was the first character I got. XD

The random character unlocks though...I'm really not sure what to think of them. They could be problematic for people who just want to play as their Miis. It was for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

First character I unlocked was Metal Mario.

Off to a great start.

Last was Wendy, who I actually cared about. :|

I haven't gotten the game yet but I want to know, is Waluigi an unlockable character?

Waluigi is available from the start, you don't need to unlock him

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if they could patch out Pink Gold Peach and replace her with Danica Patrick...

Am I the only one who really prefers the Miis in MK7? I preferred the suits, and the lack of helmet.

Mario Kart Has A New Controversial Technique Called 'Fire Hopping'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAaQx5ouVfs

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

This shit better get patched out or online is going to be ruined.

Oh please, not here too.

First off, that Kotaku article literally gives me cancer. This is not a gamebreaking technique, it saves you about 1-3 seconds in a FULL time trial run.

Why are they comparing this "fire hopping" technique (I don't know who the hell came up with that name, the MK community calls it "bunnyhopping") to MKDS snaking? Snaking gave you a surefire victory against anyone who doesn't use snaking, period. This? This only extends your super mini-turbo for a little bit longer. That's it. You can't use it everywhere, it's not easy to manage your hops, and most importantly, you're still bound to lose races online even if you use this technique.

Hell, even MKWii was gamebreaking enough with Mach and Bowser Bikes dominating every other vehicle, yet nobody seems to remember that in that article...

I can see it being unintended, sure. But patching? I'd rather see them patch the servers up than focusing on eliminating a small tech that hardly gives people any super advantage.

• Thumbs Up 3

So apparently Metal Mario is supposed to be really popular in Japan. ...Why?

He was really popular in MK 7 due to try harding. It's the equivalent of things like snaking, fire hopping, etc. except more stupid. The only reason they play as him was due to him having the hitbox of Mario while having the same stats as Bowser and the other heavyweights. However, in 8, he has an enlarged hitbox like he should.

Like Mick said, Fire Hopping is a technique that saves a few seconds on a full time trial run at best. It's pretty fun and could give a slight edge in less hectic races, but

it's

absolutely nowhere near the kind of "broken technique" that MKDS snaking or MKWii machbike/wheelies were.

Fire hopping is incredibly impractical online. I would know since I actually use it.

The only good use you'll find for it is if you're in first place well removed from the competition. In any other scenario you'll be too pelted with items for it to matter.

• Thumbs Up 7

It gave her enough of an advantage that I couldn't see her anymore in Music Park, when she only did it a few times. So I'd say it's bad enough in small group games (it was 1-on-1), and with the RNG it wasn't like I could do anything about it for the most part. Also had a Sports Bike so it's not like I could do it myself.

Exactly, and when I tried it, it hurt my hands to drift, turn, accelerate, AND hop repeatedly at the same time. I'd rather just play normally for the sake of relief on my hands.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you couldn't see them anymore chances are they knew the stage and their own stats well enough that they would have been out of sight without fire hopping too. With heavy characters and good drifting/boosting, any really good player can be far ahead of the pack even if they've never heard of fire hopping (which most players better than me that I know still haven't).

If you are unlucky enough to not be able to pelt them with blue or red shells then I don't think their fire hopping would have made a real difference on your chances of winning.

Well, except for the fact that we were neck and neck until she started doing it, but hey, I don't want to turn this into a huge fight. I too was a heavy character, inward drifting sports bike, going max speed the entire time and drifting lots. Only difference is I can't fire hop. Is it so much to ask that we DON'T do this in the Community Tournaments?

It gave her enough of an advantage that I couldn't see her anymore in Music Park, when she only did it a few times. So I'd say it's bad enough in small group games (it was 1-on-1), and with the RNG it wasn't like I could do anything about it for the most part. Also had a Sports Bike so it's not like I could do it myself.

You were Conando? Well, from what I know there's only one spot where I can hop around, and that's after the very first turn. I just grabbed coins and went for tight lines that match. tongue.png

EDIT: Also had a speed stat of 5. Wasn't a slow combo either.

• Thumbs Up 1

You still did it, though. I'm just saying there are going to be issues with people if you do. Please just think about it, it's all I'm asking here.

http://youtu.be/UrmpO-LbQzw

Anyway, I'll try and race in the daily tourney tomorrow. I can't believe I haven't done it already. I've just been so busy with trying to complete single player and racing friends that I must have forgotten.

Also, Rainbow Road is NOT an inside drifting friendly track. I've fallen off so many times on a bike before, don't have that issue with an ATV though.

It's 0.3 seconds per lap.

But fair enough. This is reminding me of my MKDS days, where I was all like "If people don't snake, I won't do it, but if they do, they're screwed." I don't want arguments nor break any community going on here, so fine, I'll cut that for the next tournament sessions if it makes people happier.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you. I hope I didn't come off as being a dick, because I was just saying it in concerns that it could possibly homogenize the way the game is played.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I guess sooner or later people will catch up to the technique and you'll start seeing it a lot in worldwides. Most of the french players who got the game early and participate in clans already seem to do that with great efficiency (especially around 4000VR and more, which is where I'm at), so I kinda started developing that habit and try out where to hop and where not to.

Again, my bad, should have turned that habit "off" for the daily meetup. I don't really need it anyway when I know the tracks inside out and am fast enough at them even before that tech was discovered (a time of 2:02.6 for Electrodrome sorta goes on with that statement, as that track has zero hop-spam parts).

Btw, I'm a he. The Mii I use is merely a avatar. tongue.png

Finally got the game and it is amazing. The tracks are all phenomenal.

I got a PERFECT Luigi Death Stare moment... and I didn't know how to save it so I couldn't. It was brilliant. I, as Luigi, NAIL Mario with a red shell, drive past, look back behind me and glare.

If I figure out how to work the online before a daily/weekly tourney, I'll try and participate.

Well I guess sooner or later people will catch up to the technique and you'll start seeing it a lot in worldwides. Most of the french players who got the game early and participate in clans already seem to do that with great efficiency (especially around 4000VR and more, which is where I'm at), so I kinda started developing that habit and try out where to hop and where not to.

Again, my bad, should have turned that habit "off" for the daily meetup. I don't really need it anyway when I know the tracks inside out and am fast enough at them even before that tech was discovered (a time of 2:02.6 for Electrodrome sorta goes on with that statement, as that track has zero hop-spam parts).

Btw, I'm a he. The Mii I use is merely a avatar. tongue.png

That's kind of what I feared actually. Sounds like higher VR Randoms will end up like they did in Wii and 7, specific tracks being picked over and over with specific setups. It's a real shame too, because this Mario Kart is actually pretty darn balanced even with inside drifting back (all sports bikes actually have weaker mini turbos than other bikes and karts to balance this out).