Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Seeing as a few days have past since the release of this game, I'd really like to know what are your guys' favorite music tracks of MK8.

I'll start with mine. Now, I have a bit of a bias when it comes to the violin (and by bit, I mean HUGE), since it's pretty much the best instrument in the entire world to me. So there are two tracks in particular that come to mind that use said instrument really dang well.

This song got such an immense improvement from the original track. It sounds much more lively, folky, and authentic, which sets the mood quite gracefully for the track itself, what with the nice sunrise/dawn backdrop accompanying the place, makes it just more wholesome. A nice, soothing and calming song in general.

But now on to some real heart-pumping action!

Listen to this arrangement! The brass section are freakin' ripping into it, the guitar and bass add a great backdrop, and the violin? Hot Damn, that partly solo section is incredible! This composition right here is probably the best in the game for just how well everything gels together.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seeing as a few days have past since the release of this game, I'd really like to know what are your guys' favorite music tracks of MK8.

Rainbow Road N64 is pretty much perfect in every way.

Especially that trumpet in the beginning.  

Gotta give the credits some credit :P

Mario Kart 8 Music - Credits: http://youtu.be/SAkr5IlqO3I

• Thumbs Up 1

Dolphin Shoals is probably one of my favorite courses in the game next to Mount Wario, and the music is definitely a big part of the reason why. See, I'm a huge sucker for anything with a sax in it, so when I got to the part of this track with the giant whirlpool and the sax came in replacing that island-y instrument (not sure what that thing is called), I instantly fell in love with this song. The timing was perfect too because it was at about 0:30-0:44 when I first got there, and that's my favorite part of the song.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'll have to say either Electrodome or Cloudtop Cruise. Gusty Garden Galaxy FTW. I love N64 Rainbow Road too.

See, I'm a huge sucker for anything with a sax in it, so when I got to the part of this track with the giant whirlpool and the sax came in replacing that island-y instrument (not sure what that thing is called), I instantly fell in love with this song. The timing was perfect too because it was at about 0:30-0:44 when I first got there, and that's my favorite part of the song.

To be honest I'm not necessarily a big fan of sax but I can totally agree with that. The way the stage is paced to reach the climax of the track just as you emerge from the water into the sun is perfect, it's one of those "WHOOOA" moments for me. I actually don't like the track itself that much mostly because of the underwater bits, but I love that bit.

Since someone already posted Dolphin Shoals (which has been stuck in my head so much lately);

This track is just frickin awesome, really gets the heart pumping and stuff, the melody is really great too. I really hope Bowser keeps this jazzy/rock thing that started with Mario 3D World for future games because it just works really well for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be the typical one here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG76TYOQ_08

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

I fucking adore Electrodrome's music. It's raving-the-fuck-out worthy but somehow still has that gorgeous Mario charm.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZi79bd_ODA

God this track blew me away.  After years of samey simple opening circuits with samey simple upbeat but unmemorable themes, THIS is how you make me fall in love with a game in seconds.  I adore how the orchestra swells around the main melody at 0:13ish, and 0:42 is just beautiful and suits the grand epic night time aesthetic perfectly.  This track is just so gorgeous, while it would've certainly been a new style of melody for it, this wouldn't sound out of place on Rainbow Road for me.

I also really love Moo Moo Meadows, Sunshine Airport, Mount Wario... because man this game did some beautiful things with violins.  I adore flowing orchestral string instruments and I never expected to hear this much of it in Mario Kart of all things.  They really spoiled me in the jump to a live band soundtrack.

Toad Harbour is also SO upbeat I adore the chorus in it.  Again, never expected to hear music this modern and flavourful out of Mario Kart.  One of those songs you wish there were lyrics just to sing along to.

The updated takes on GBA Mario Circuit and N64 Royal Raceway were great too.  They're not hugely different from the originals but the live instrumentation and ad-libbed jazz elements bring these old midi tracks to life like never before.

Finally, I do recommend listening to the whole trophy theme if you haven't already.  It goes from "more dramatic take on old trophy screen music" to "holy crap are we driving off into the sunset with this trophy for our lives as the entire place explodes behind us!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skku6zKDOBI

I love the hints of N64's Staff Roll too in there...  I wish they had incorporated that theme into N64 Rainbow Road somehow.  I have such a great idea of how it could've fit in my head, but alas I'm no musician.  I love N64 Rainbow Road for what they did anyway, but part of me had wish they had gone for a "prettier" angle than the jazzy/rocky "big band" angle, even though the melody still makes it pretty anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V7u3WcYzg_A

b-bu-but Mario Kart 8, according to Polygon, was supposed to be Nintendoomed...

• Thumbs Up 1

For me it's definitely Electrodrome I feel like the music honestly fits the visual flair of the track perfectly and sets the level up for some heart pumping adrenaline between racers, if you've been in the MK TV thread you'll see that me and JezMM are highly competitive with one another and most of our close call throw downs are on Electrodrome of all tracks, we tend to be neck and neck the whole race with the only times we're battling for first being on the anti-grav track leaving for some really intense moments.

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V7u3WcYzg_A

b-bu-but Mario Kart 8, according to Polygon, was supposed to be Nintendoomed...

What cracks me up, is that they say its still going to be worst selling, despite the fact that it only needs about 6 million to beat the gamecube, and one weekend has passed and they are over a sixth of the way there, with several years left for the console, and proably another 100,000 or so sales at least this weekend 

Got the game, enjoying it so far. Things to cover:

- Got Yoshi's Bike as my first unlock. Woop!

- I get the Coin item far too often

- Electrodome is glorious

- Fuck Blue Shells

- Fuck Red Shells

- Fuck Green Shells

There's probably more, but that will do for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to have to be in the minority here and say I don't particularly like Electrodome's music. I love the track and just how visually eye popping it is with all the crazy purple and green neon lights everywhere and I love the distortion effect at one point during the antigravity section but I really feel the track could have benefitted from a stronger bass and an edgier harmony. I honestly almost think the Toad's Turnpike mix, provided it had the strong bass of the N64 original, would fit pretty much perfectly here (or at least something in that vain).

Although I do think every other music track is phenomenal and struggling to decide on a favourite.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm really growing on dolphin shoals, at first when I heard it, I wasn't interested in it, but when playing the levels I just seem to like it more.

And when your in MKTV mode they got the full music in there. Its sweet!

Speaking of Sweet, how about that sweet sweet canyon music? Nice isn't it?

- Fuck Blue Shells

- Fuck Red Shells

- Fuck Green Shells

I can echo this.

I'm just doing the 150cc. I'm ploughing right through it with little difficultly so far. Either I've gotten really good, or it's too easy. Of course, it was brutal for me in Mario Kart 7 so I'm not complaining.

I'm going to have to be in the minority here and say I don't particularly like Electrodome's music. I love the track and just how visually eye popping it is with all the crazy purple and green neon lights everywhere and I love the distortion effect at one point during the antigravity section but I really feel the track could have benefitted from a stronger bass and an edgier harmony. I honestly almost think the Toad's Turnpike mix, provided it had the strong bass of the N64 original, would fit pretty much perfectly here (or at least something in that vain).

Although I do think every other music track is phenomenal and struggling to decide on a favourite.

Agreed with this.  After the daring new modern-sounding territory (as far as MK music goes) for Mario Kart Stadium and Toad Harbour, Electrodrome feels very "safe" and just sort of nightclub-esque rather than going all out and matching the intense visuals.

• Thumbs Up 2

So what exactly are the requirements to get a 3 Star rank? Is it simply finish the Grand Prix with the full 60 points and nothing else?

So what exactly are the requirements to get a 3 Star rank? Is it simply finish the Grand Prix with the full 60 points and nothing else?

Yep that's pretty much it.  2 Star is 57, 1 Star is 55 (might be 54 so 1st twice 2nd twice).

My combo of choice tends to be the Jet Bike, Crimson Wheels (or slick depending on my mood) and a decent glider like the cloud glider.

I'm kinda kicking some ass with Sport Bike + Slim + Cloud Glider. Playing as Rosie of course.

• Thumbs Up 3

I switch between the Steel Driver + Off-Road tires + Cloud Glider and the Flame Rider + Retro Off-Road + Mario Kart TV.Parafoil. Whenever I'm not taken out by bullshit I usually move through the pack easy with these.

(And yes, I still don't have the Yoshi Bike body yet. Otherwise I'd use it up, down and all-around the track!)

I drive with Yoshi, Daisy, Shy Guy and Larry.