Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Sorry guys in really confused,

Going to try to get online tonight but... Which one do I use? Now there are two I'm. It really sure which to use for racing and which to use for ranking in the tourney?

So basically we have two tourneys at the moment, Daily and Weekly.

You can play in either of them at any time to get a game going with SSMB members, but when they're inactive, I recommend ALWAYS using Daily alone for that so no-one is having to check both lobbies and take a chance on one or the other.  When you choose to Join a tournament when it's inactive, the game will warn you that it's just for practice and rankings won't be recorded.

There are specific times though when these tournaments are "active" (indicated by a little flag icon).  During these times, races results will be ranked and viewable on the "View Ranking" option to see who is currently top racer among the community.

The Daily Tourney is active from 11pm to midnight UK time every day.  There is a limit of 8 ranked races, so to participate in ranking you want to be there on-time and join the tournament the on the dot at 11pm, as soon as the flag icon appears.  After 8 races have been played, the rankings for that day are locked and whoever is the victor is the victor.  Each day's rankings can be viewable by scrolling on the View Rankings screen.

The Weekly Tourney is to allow more people to play together at the weekend when most people are available.  This tourney is active from Saturday 8pm to Monday 8am UK time, though I might change this to Friday 8pm next week.  Unlike the Daily Tourney, there is no limit to how many ranked races there can be, so unfortunately the results will be as much dependant on the amount you play as well as your actual performance.

Of course, the Daily Tourney will still run every day, so I recommend quitting out of Weekly to play Daily at 11pm if you want to participate in those rankings.

So in short, here's a flowchart to get the optimal experience out of the two Tourneys I set up:

Is it 11pm-Midnight UK time and you're on time to play as many of the 8 Daily ranked races as possible?

If yes: Play Daily Tourney and go for top ranking!

If no: Next question

Is it between 8pm on Friday and 8am on Monday, UK time?

If Yes: Play Weekly Tourney and go for top ranking!

If no: No Tournaments are currently active, so either go into the Daily Tourney to try and get a non-ranked game going with random SSMB peeps or try and arrange a game yourself.

The idea behind the weekend tourney is to allow ranking for people who might not be able to play the Daily one.  If the Daily one is frequently at an inconvenient time for you, I might set up a second Daily one of the same rules at the opposite time of day - 11am to midday UK time.  Please, make yourself known if you'd like this, naturally we'd need a few people who'd play at this time to justify it or else it might just be 2 people in there each day or something lol.

Final thing, for the Daily Tourney, how would you guys feel about me altering the rules on certain days?  I won't do anything like Karts or Bikes or Motion Control only since that's no fun for people who are used to a certain handling, but I might - especially at the weekend when we have the Weekly Tourney to provide vanilla gameplay - do stuff like Frantic or Shells only and so on and so forth every now and then just for one day to mix things up.  Let me know if you'd rather I didn't and made a separate third SSMB tourney for this purpose.

• Thumbs Up 2

You get Gold Kart body for beating all cups on 3 Star? What are you talking about Jords?

You get Gold Kart body for beating all cups on 3 Star? What are you talking about Jords?

You actually get the gold kart for getting at least 1 star ranking in all cups. I got the gold kart before I managed to get all cups with three stars

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahh thanks Jez!

I knew about the tourney times, I just wondered which one everyone was using during off tournament times

And yeh, I would be up for changing the rules for the daily tourney on the weekends

How come it didn't unlock for me then? I had to 3 star everything :c

The game doesn't like you. Likes me better LOL jks.

Now that's done, I'm gonna do some verses and try to collect some coins for more parts and to try to find a good vehicle combination that's suits me. Those inside drifting bikes are just to weird and awkward.

A track that disappointed me was Toad's Turnpike. There's no point in taking the anti gravity route as it's the slowest route and the track is way too wide. Despite the killer music the track is rather dull for the most part barring the points where you can drive up the truck and glide to land on the buses.

In addition to all this, the new Toad's Turnpike doesn't seem quite as atmospheric as the original. For instance, you know how the original had that cool twilit-transitioning-into-night sky, unlike every other course in that game?

Mk64toadturnpike2.jpg

The new Toad's Turnpike just has it set completely at night, like Mushroom City and Moonview Highway, which kinda dilutes its distinctness if you ask me.

MK8N64Toad%27sTurnpike1.png

Now, I'm not saying that the new Toad's Turnpike is bad (I still think it's kinda fun to race on), but I think the night sky makes it look kinda samey.

• Thumbs Up 4

The advertising continues, this time on major networks during a big event

http://linkis.com/nintendoenthusiast.com/6L8Jk

Nintendo Bounce Passes Mario Kart 8 TV Commercials beyond Kids’ Networks to NBA TV Networks

June 1, 2014 / by Omar Taylor 

thunderspurs

Mario Kart 8 advertisements were seen during last night’s playoff game

Nintendo has been taking the promotion of Mario Kart 8 very seriously, promoting the game in places such as your local theater or even your Kindle reader. Nintendo now continues to do the unexpected and has begun venturing out of their comfort zone, promoting their latest gravity-defying arcade racer on more adult-centric television networks rather than just kid-centric ones such as Cartoon Network.

As seen by Nintendo Enthusiast staff member and occasional writer Matt Costello (Mattavelle1) as well as myself, if you watched the NBA playoff game last night between the San Antonio Spurs and the Oklahoma City Thunders without fast-forwarding through the commercials, you saw Mario Kart 8 being promoted on a number of occasions during breaks. For those who are unaware, the NBA tunes on TNT, ABC, and ESPN, among a few other national, international, and Canadian TV networks.

It’s definitely nice to see Nintendo finally doing their damn job. Matt Costello actually put it nicely: “It’s like they got a quarter of a brain in the marketing department all the sudden.”

Expect to see news like this for the entire year.

Have you been enjoying Mario Kart 8? Have any favorite courses or characters? What about Mario Kart TV? That’s our latest “The Score” question for you to answer this week.

This is very good news! If they did this for every major Wii U game, they might actually get the system to sell a lot better.

Well, I've beaten all the cups and gotten every stamp. Still not three-starred everything but fuuuuck that. 

Track-wise, I actually love Donut Plains 3... mostly because I'm insanely good at it. Other highlights for me include Mario Circuit, N64 Rainbow Road (though they seriously shortened it down) Royal Raceway (another track I'm alright at), DS Wario Stadium, Yoshi Valley... eh, I love almost every course in this.

N64 Toad's Turnpike is way duller than I expected though, and Bone Dry Dunes can go die in a fire. Rainbow Road is nowhere near as brilliant as it should have been either. 

Overall though, I've had a blast with the game. Online is better than ever - if I lose, it's not a feeling of anger or anything unless it was 'unfair,' unlike my single player experience where at several points I felt the game pulled the "BULLSHIT" card.

For Wii U owners though, this is essential. Absolutely essential. 

Mirror Mode doesn't make you drive against the traffic flow on Toad's Turnpike, 0/10.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Retro Tracks that are worse than the originals (okay I already said this but I want to expand)

Piranha Plant Slide/Pipeway in Mario Kart 7 was a perfect representation of an 8-bit Mario level in three dimensions.

While still good in its own rights, MK8 version completely misses the point of the original. The colours are now dull and faded, the castles are "too serious looking", and the blocks are almost unrecognizable unsure.png

Anyone else notice how the coin totals needed for the vehicle unlocks jump from 50 to 100 coins once you pass the 1000 milestone?

Nintendo, you sly dogs... you just had to sneak MK7's increasing totals in there somewhere, didn't you! :P

Luckily with how fun this game is, earning 100 coins doesn't feel like much of a chore at all, but I'll be a bit miffed it I start to see any 500 or 1000 coin leaps like in the previous game.

Yes, I know about the whopping 10,000 coins needed for the Gold Glider. But that's a gold part so I'll let it slide

;)

The reason why you need 10,000 coins for the gold glider is because they'll be melted down to make it.

Fucking 10,000 coins.

• Thumbs Up 4

IS the Gold Glider even that good to drop that much moolah on it?

None of the gold parts are decent, suppose it's just there for bragging rights.

The reason why you need 10,000 coins for the gold glider is because they'll be melted down to make it.

Fucking 10,000 coins.

LOL, I don't think I'll ever unlock that then.

I'm gonna unlock them eventually like I usually do, but man I don't think the golden karts have ever been good in any MK game

If someone comes to me and be like "oh yea gold parts, big Mario kart player!" And I'll just say "great! Now you can loose in style. Have fun"

Lol the gold parts were not great in MK7, there are way better parts.

I'm gonna unlock them eventually like I usually do, but man I don't think the golden karts have ever been good in any MK game

I thought the one from Double dash was a great kart.

Yeah the trophy car was pretty awesome. Gold parts aren't bad, they focus on weight and speed, with terrible handling and grip so they slide all over on off-road terrain, making them useless in levels like Sherbet Land, Dry Dry Desert/Dry Bone Desert and Donut Plains.

I was gonna say. Don't diss the Golden Car from Double Dash!

I actually used that car a couple of times after unlocking it. >>

The vehicle parts that I main are the Yoshi Bike, Crimson Off-Road wheels, and the Bowser Glider. Looks awesome, but performs awesome as well! I'm especially in love with the Yoshi bike. It's 'arms' go out sideways when you turn, and it's really detailed.

As for my main character, I just use my Mii, though I sometimes use Luigi and Rosalina.

I've completed the 50cc and 100cc already, and I've unlocked the whole roster. Just got to complete 150cc and mirror to get the gold kart body.