Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

note to self: stop posting in a completely sarcastic tone remy - it doesn't translate over the internet .

No it did. I just wanted to be blunt for the hell of it. :P

I just don't see Sonic in this. I see Mario. Look, EVERY major site that posted news about the game use two words: Mario Galaxy. That should mean something, right?

People compare it to galaxy just because they don't want to remember two shitty sa2 levels which were mario galaxy before mario galaxy.

Oh, and your signature:

tumblr_mnj0kpQDLY1qfwzeuo2_250.gif

To me that looks like the spin dash is indeed a repackaged boost.  

The purple bastard has insane reaction. Maybe even faster than Sonic himself.

I just don't see Sonic in this. I see Mario. Look, EVERY major site that posted news about the game use two words: Mario Galaxy. That should mean something, right?

And I think that's a bit silly for them to say, even if I see what they mean. Still, I don't think any of them mean it in a negative light, anyway.

There are branching pathways from the looks of it. Thing is, it's not refining further the Unleashed formula which was almost perfect in Generations. It's starting all over again from ground up. It's like..Imagine that you are drawing a picture. What if at some point you dont like a part of the image? What would you do? Well duh! You take an erazor and just eraze the part you don't like and CORRECT it making it PERFECT in your eyes. What SonicTeam does in this case is burn the paper with the picture and start drawing something else.

I'm pretty sure plenty of artists do that, aside from literally setting the paper on fire. Sometimes it's better to start over if you feel like you can do better. It's a completely logical action to take. I say this as someone who loves the boost formula, it's great to see them trying something new that seems to have potential.

EDIT:

I don't think that's very conclusive, especially since Sonic blasts off at full speed all the time in cutscenes, even before the boost was introduced. Edited by elementofchaos

People compare it to galaxy just because they don't want to remember two shitty sa2 levels which were mario galaxy before mario galaxy.

Uh yeah...even outside the Sonic fandom in the "Sonic Sux" crowd, people still defend SA2, nostalgia notwithstanding.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Crazy Gadget and....?

Those don't look like Mario Galaxy. They only have gravitation gimmick present since Sonic3&Knuckles.

I'm pretty sure plenty of artists do that, aside from literally setting the paper on fire. Sometimes it's better to start over if you feel like you can do better.

Not if the work was not bad at all which is the case with Generations and Unleashed formula evolution.

Still, I don't think any of them mean it in a negative light, anyway.

The gaming community and reviewers love Mario. They hate (-ed) Sonic. => Sonic looking like Mario is a good thing in their eyes. But not in mine.

Edited by ArtFenix

Wasn't it always? isn't the boost just a repackaged instant spin dash? The Cycle Continues.  

The Adventure 1 one, sure.  

Well I for one don't see a single cityscape, spacestation, ancient supernatural evil, jewel theives or any guns or psychics from the future, so it very clearly can't be a Sonic game. 

Also, you guys are missing the most important element, the clone created by Eggman that possesses Sonic & Shadow's DNA.

hqdefault.jpg?feature=og

The Mario Galaxy elements are a given, BUT, it's not like it's devoid of Sonic elements and it's not like there's not similar things found in Sonic games (Knuckles Chaotix's special stages, some SA2 levels and especially Sonic X-Treme which is something a lot of people have been saying too.)

There are branching pathways from the looks of it. Thing is, it's not refining further the Unleashed formula which was almost perfect in Generations. It's starting all over again from ground up. It's like..Imagine that you are drawing a picture. What if at some point you dont like a part of the image? What would you do? Well duh! You take an erazor and just eraze the part you don't like and CORRECT it making it PERFECT in your eyes. What SonicTeam does in this case is burn the paper with the picture and start drawing something else.

The Unleashed formula, which was rather good in Generations, was far from perfect, and this is coming from someone that liked that game. Also, as someone that draws regulary, sometimes erasing is not enough and is better to start from scratch, so I don't how your analogy applies to this.

I marked the key word. Franchises usually evolve, not go to the very beginning after evolving into something more modern and more refined.

Lol and people say I'm living in the 1998. You must be living in 1991 then.

I think yes, yes, you are right. That is what I feel. Not "absolutely sucks" part though...yet.

While stuff evolves, it is never a good idea not to retain elements from the past while trying to do good things. In fact this is one of the most important rules of every franchise ever.

Anyways, is the IGN preview the only one right now?

Edited by El Driver

I marked the key word. Franchises usually evolve, not go to the very beginning after evolving into something more modern and more refined.

I think yes, yes, you are right. That is what I feel. Not "absolutely sucks" part though...yet.

So going by your logic we make ANY level structure, give it textures of Green Hill and that would make it green hill)) Haha, no. This looks like retextured mushroom kingdom.

Wait, you're saying the boost formula is a correct philosophy? I love the formula. but. no. 

Sonic's main philosophy was speed as a reward. This game seems to be finally heading towards that concept. You can't keep up that speed without skill, especially with rolling. Instant full speed and a quick rush is different. 

It would have really gotten stale if they kept this formula after 5 games, easier done at the start of a new console generation when developing on a new console then in the middle of nowhere.

And yes, that does make it Green Hill. 

What's wrong with living in 1991? The 90's were cool.

Oh, and your signature:

tumblr_mnj0kpQDLY1qfwzeuo2_250.gif

I'm just surprised that the emo one is capable of split second jumping/dodging over Sonic when he is traveling at boost speed >.<

<Ninja'd god damnit>

Edited by Tenko

Wait, you're saying the boost formula is a correct philosophy?

A blend of Unleashed and Adventure formula is a correct philosophy to me. With no 2D.

and Mad space.

Ah yes. Except the colors and art direction was nothing like Mario. ..and all you had to do is search for pieces of M.E., with almost no platforming.

What's wrong with living in 1991? The 90's were cool.

It's fine but it leaves those who loved 1998 (adventure era) the most with nothing as the games since Unleashed contained far more fanservice for the retro crowd than for adventure fans.

Edited by ArtFenix

Ah yes. Except the colors and art direction was nothing like Mario.

It feels like mario galaxy, planetoids and gravity. art direction doesn't matter in that case.

There's also been another two words used very often.  Sonic Xtreme.  I still see Sonic mainly because when you take a character like Sonic with such unique methods of movement and really draw emphasis to that movement (like what this game is doing so far) that instantly will make the game feel a lot different.

There are branching pathways from the looks of it. Thing is, it's not refining further the Unleashed formula which was almost perfect in Generations. It's starting all over again from ground up.

Because they've acknowledged, like a number of other people, that Generations was the dead end to the Unleashed "boost gameplay".  As much as I liked Generations, it was far from almost perfect in terms of control and design.  It had a lot of good things going for it, but I don't really see how it could've gone much further.

It's like..Imagine that you are drawing a picture. What if at some point you dont like a part of the image? What would you do? Well duh! You take an erazor and just eraze the part you don't like and CORRECT it making it PERFECT in your eyes. What SonicTeam does in this case is burn the paper with the picture and start drawing something else.

And this is a problem why?  Sometimes to truly progress with something you have to ditch ideas and concepts even if they seem quite good.  Artists do it all the time.  They abandon concepts and experiment with other ways to approach their designs.  Sometimes in the long term they end up reaching the destination and result they want to achieve through a completely different route than what they were initially expecting or hoping.

By this logic the Mario series hasn't evolved either.  After all, Mario has remained a non serious, light hearted franchise absent of anything in the way of plot for the past 25 odd years.  Yet Mario still remains to be the platforming king due to sticking to his established formula but not being afraid to experiment and expand with gameplay concepts and ideas.  I see the same thing happening here with Sonic.  He hasn't harked back to anything 3D because none of his 3D games have been as successful as his initial Mega Drive outings.  Instead they're harking back to said classics, transferring a number of concepts to 3D, incorporating elements of both lost (Sonic XTreme) and extremely successful (Super Mario Galaxy/2) platformers as well as adding modern ideas and concepts (parkour) that help to "evolve" a series that has been about freedom of movement and retaining a sense of flow to try and earn your speed.

As I believe I said before, this game so far seems like the most natural 3D evolution of Sonic's 2D classic established formula so far.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

A blend of Unleashed and Adventure formula is a correct philosophy to me. With no 2D.

Ah yes. Except the colors and art direction was nothing like Mario. ..and all you had to do is search for pieces of M.E., with almost no platforming.

>philosophy

"philosophy" can refer to "the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group".

You mean formula. The philosophy was "Speed as a reward" - basic concept of Sonic since it's creation.

You mean formula.

You anyways realise this is like Adventure x Unleashed formula with just a bit of parkour? Don't tell me you think parkour doesn't fit Sonic.

Also, Knux had more platforming in SA2 than Sonic... well or so I felt.

Honestly dood, your definition of Sonic-y sounds like something that was in the franchise but never really is what Sonic is all about. Sounds like you liked the era where Sonic was becoming something he really wasn't to get the kids of the current time to like him.

Edited by Faseeh

Looking like Mario Galaxy and 3D Land isn't exactly a bad thing either when those two are probably the best 3D platformers ever made. 

It feels like mario galaxy, planetoids and gravity. art direction doesn't matter in that case.

If you're looking at it from the map and general concept, it feels like Mario Galaxy.

Playing it is completely different: Mario Galaxy didn't have any automated moments like Starlight Carnival, for example, and it's speediness  and straight-fowardness completely destroys that comparison compared to Galaxy being far more explorative.

I still maintain that the only thing remotely like Mario Galaxy we saw in the trailer is how the level is structured, i.e. a "planetoid" that you run around on. I suspect there might be some gravity shenanigans too, at some point. I don't think it will be focused on, though.

Everything on that planetoid is distinctly Sonic. Even if you removed the checkerboard patterns and the other stuff that makes it Green Hill-esque, it'd still have Rings, badniks, probably loops, and all that stuff. Not to mention the gameplay will probably be nothing remotely resembling Mario outside of "well you have to jump on and over stuff and get from A to B" seeing as how they're both platformers and all.

... Granted there's now a run button of some sort, but that's 2D Mario, not 3D. tongue.png Plus it apparently works a bit differently, based on the description of it in the preview.

Edited by elementofchaos
  • Thumbs Up 1

If anything, the wisps come across as shields or speed up powers, like in the adventure games. Having NO relevance to the story at all, and just served as optional gameplay mechanics. 

I personally don't see why they couldn't just make actual shields or speed shoes in that case.

I'm wondering how they "ass-pull" Amy and Knuckles into it lol

I'm really curious myself, and am quite interested to see exactly how they ended up there. Perhaps prisoners?

That idea the Six could be mutants of Sonic's friends isn't too crazy, I suppose.

Especially given that they're the colors of the emeralds barring White. I wonder if that means anything or if they just wanted to be colorful?

Well there are partnering with Nintendo (aka the brick wall when it comes to finding info)

Well if you can't clean your own house it's always a good idea to hire someone else to. :P

I'm just surprised that the emo one is capable of split second jumping/dodging over Sonic when he is traveling at boost speed >.<

I like to imagine Sonic slows himself down on purpose just to get his enemies' hopes up so he "just" slipped out of their grasp. Same principle as jumping in a car for a race.

... Granted there's now a run button of some sort, but that's 2D Mario, not 3D. tongue.png Plus it apparently works a bit differently, based on the description of it in the preview.

Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario 3D Land both had run buttons though.

Ah, I had forgotten about that in 64 DS, and I haven't played 3D Land yet. My mistake!

If you're looking at it from the map and general concept, it feels like Mario Galaxy.

Playing it is completely different: Mario Galaxy didn't have any automated moments like Starlight Carnival, for example, and it's speediness  and straight-fowardness completely destroys that comparison compared to Galaxy being far more explorative.

Yes, i agree, it plays not like mario galaxy, thats why i said "feels".

I still maintain that the only thing remotely like Mario Galaxy we saw in the trailer is how the level is structured, i.e. a "planetoid" that you run around on. I suspect there might be some gravity shenanigans too, at some point. I don't think it will be focused on, though.

Everything on that planetoid is distinctly Sonic. Even if you removed the checkerboard patterns and the other stuff that makes it Green Hill-esque, it'd still have Rings, badniks, probably loops, and all that stuff. Not to mention the gameplay will probably be nothing remotely resembling Mario outside of "well you have to jump on and over stuff and get from A to B" seeing as how they're both platformers and all.

Yes, exactly right. And here's the problem with that logic...

...Mario didn't do it first.

Hell, SONIC did it in 3D long before Mario did. Mad Space and Meteor Herd have the same kind of planetoid experience. (Whoever said Crazy Gadget is completely off-base; Crazy Gadget did not have planetoid physics.)

I'm pretty sure other games have done it, too. The graphical art style, although slightly more cartoony, is also more resemblant of Sonic. (Personally I think the Unleashed-Generations graphic art style is better, but that's beside the point.) The gameplay is totally Sonic as well, which completely blows away all the comparisons to Mario Galaxy.

...not to mention the fact that Sonic X-Treme also did it, although the game was unreleased of course it still had the same thing going for it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm still a little saddened that I can't play as any other character other than Sonic yet. How many official games has it been now? The last game wasn't Sonic 06 where they were playable...was it? Multiplayer modes not included.

Other than that, it looks nice but I can't say it's anything special quite yet. I hope they release more information soon before I feel it's worth buying a WiiU for.

So lets gather some reception from around the web, shall we?

Metro

First Sonic: Lost World trailer is… shockingly good
Thankfully though you only have to play as Sonic himself in single-player mode, although Tails, Knuckles, and Amy are already confirmed to be involved in the story.

GameTrailers

What do you think about the trailer? It certainly reminds me of another Nintendo game, in a good way. In any case, let us know in the comments on your thoughts about the game.

WebProNews

Sonic Lost World Sure Looks A Lot Like Sonic Xtreme

Shack News

Fans will probably breathe a sigh of relief that the initial trailer doesn't feature any of Sonic's furry friends. However, given the number of other cuddly critters in the video, perhaps it's best to simply assume that Sonic won't be on this adventure solo.

The Sixth Axis

Anyway, enough of my bitter resentment about that whole thing – IGN seems to have the scoop on the first trailer for the game! And it actually looks… okay. It seems to blend the recent 3D Sonic games with some side-scrolling action and gravity defying moves, like Super Mario Galaxy up a tower.

It could actually be quite fun, hopefully they take some inspiration from the Sonic Adventure games and other Nintendo exclusive Sonic titles such as Colours in order to do the series justice once again.

We Got This Covered

The game looks to take heavy inspiration from the original trilogy of 2D platformers that Sonic started on back in the days of the Sega Genesis, with the titular character once again protecting smaller animals in need. The environments shown in the trailer harken back to the grassy and checkerboarded look of the iconic Green Hill Zone, and gameplay footage shown gives off a definite Super Mario Galaxy vibe, with Sonic navigating between various floating structures and even changing his plane of gravity. New abilities, such as Sonic being able to continually run on or up walls, will also be part of the game.

Gamr Review

It's easy to cite comparisons to Super Mario Galaxy, but it actually looks like Sonic X-treme, the cancelled Sega Saturn platformer. That would be a blast from the past for Sonic die-hards.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1