Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

Feel the need to add that along with stealing from Diogenes, they almost seem to be listening to me in reusing concepts. (God I really hope they are)

Who else have they been listening to? Chooch with a tiered speed system? Anyone else?

Feel the need to add that along with stealing from Diogenes, they almost seem to be listening to me in reusing concepts. (God I really hope they are)

Who else have they been listening to? Chooch with a tiered speed system? Anyone else?

Clearly not me. 

*no sign of greater focus on traditional storytelling anywhere* ._.;;

• Thumbs Up 3

Clearly not me. 

Well simple storytelling isn't necessarily bad storytelling :P

There are wisps in the game right? I think that answers your question from my end.

Edited by Soniman

The 3DS version being 3D and better graphics looks to be leaps and bound what people said on here

Well simple storytelling isn't necessarily bad storytelling tongue.png

Yeah, like Heroes, Colors, and Generations showed us- ohhhhh...

*SIGH + roll over*

I mean, it's not like I'm asking for frikkin' Shakespeare here, Sega. Can sensible action-y stuff just happen through the second act to justify a climatic finale and create a more satisfying adventure? It's less difficult than this gameplay overhaul. I'm serious. .-.

• Thumbs Up 9

Clearly not me. 

Uh, correction: you mean US? You ain't the only one advocating that. :P

Yeah, wait a minute before we decide on that. As long as it's not barebones like Generations, Heroes, or Colors, it's a start, right?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 2

For the record: The Wisps are not 100% optional in Colors, despite being told otherwise. We determined this in the SU vs. SC thread just with simple pressing. Ultimately, it doesn't make me confident that they'll be 100% optional here either.

If I recall correctly, it was somewhere in the 70%-%80 range in terms of being completely optional.  Which honestly isn't that bad.  It's kind of like a parent trying to get you to eat some sort of food, "you'll never know it's good if you don't try it, c'mon just a lil' bite".

Of course, only very rare sorts of people would actually go out of their way to avoid little diversions like that their first time around in a video game I'd think.  

Anyways, I'm excited that Wisps are back.  Maybe have a few new uses for them along with their old ones.  Maybe have the laser power up a generator or something, I dunno (the drill is begging to be used in 3D ala Super Mario Galaxy's drill).

Also.

When I get Super Sonic or something.

Let me have Super Wisp powers.

Edited by Nix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I for one hope they don't "ass-pull" them into this game, actually. That's partly why some of the characters haven't been doing well, since they just throw them into the game and either don't do anything with them or they don't know what to do with them when they're in and screw them up from there.

Speaking of which, don't entirely hold your breath over their appearances and roles until you actually see them. They've been on and off about their appearances, as they said Shadow and Knuckles would be in Unleashed and yet they were no where to be seen and everyone else were absent until Generations brought them in as cheerleaders. If they're gonna keep doing that, I'd rather they stop.

Well they have said "In terms of Sonic and his friends, he'll have his same friends there", as one quote from John Cheng, and then the screen shot with Tails clearly in it. And now IGN saying that it was mentioned "friends such as Tails, Knuckles and Amy will make appearances in the story". I would say it is pretty solid evidence so far that they will be in this. You are right tho, we are a fair way from November and anything could happen. But as it stands it sounds like they will be showing up. How they manage to get to Lost Hex when Sonic & Tails have the plane is something they may or may not care to explain however.

Not me sadly ;_;

Even with it looking so akin to X-Treme there is no sign of my beloved Nack haha. Tho like a few of us i have mentioned they should bring back X-Treme either as a downloadable game or in a new incarnation. And i guess that would count as them listening?

List of ideas Sega has stolen listened to:

• Diogenes - rolling physics
  • ChaosSupremeSonic - reusing past concepts(?)
  • Soniman - the Wisps
  • Chooch - multi-tiered speed system
  • Azookara/Black Spy  - parkour

Idea's that haven't been confirmed/not in:

• Nepenthe/ChaosSupremeSonic/and other members - greater storytelling focus
  • Multiple Members - multiple playable characters
  • Komodin - "meh"
  •  

Wat am I missin'?

Well they have said "In terms of Sonic and his friends, he'll have his same friends there", as one quote from John Cheng, and then the screen shot with Tails clearly in it. And now IGN saying that it was mentioned "friends such as Tails, Knuckles and Amy will make appearances in the story". I would say it is pretty solid evidence so far that they will be in this. You are right tho, we are a fair way from November and anything could happen. But as it stands it sounds like they will be showing up. How they manage to get to Lost Hex when Sonic & Tails have the plane is something they may or may not care to explain however.

It's not solid evidence until they are shown. The first time they did this, they skimped out on two characters they said would be in. The second time (Generations, since no one expected them in Colors to my knowledge) they couldn't actually skimp out on them since it was an anniversary title that went through memory lane, so they had to have them as part of the series' history.

This time? We'll have to wait and see.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I recall correctly, it was somewhere in the 70%-%80 range in terms of being completely optional.  Which honestly isn't that bad.  It's kind of like a parent trying to get you to eat some sort of food, "you'll never know it's good if you don't try it, c'mon just a lil' bite".

Of course, only very rare sorts of people would actually go out of their way to avoid little diversions like that their first time around in a video game I'd think.

For the record, I'm not one who gets hung up on whether or not something is completely "optional" or "forced." It's an awful simplification (optional good, forced bad says Hulk!) of game design and the issue in general. Some elements of every game are going to be forced; it's the nature of the medium and I find no reason to get hung up on it unless you just hate the game's design in question. Ultimately I just mean to refute a little factoid that's been floating around since Colors' release. 70-80% optional is not 100% optional and, considering the design of the game is heavily based around them, it would've been stupid for them to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

the only tiny thing that bothers me is that the GI and color bleeding used to be much stronger in the previous games.

here sure is lacking, I mean, the whole background is blue yet the blue doesn't reflects anywhere, all the shadows are a pure black/grey, that doesn't looks as good as it could be with some more light bounces.

still looks great, but the lack of stronger GI sure is noticeable to me

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wat am I missin'?

Azu wanted parkour in his Sonic games, lo and behold, parkour system.

Azu wanted parkour in his Sonic games, lo and behold, parkour system.

Added. NEXT!

This'll defenitely be a major boost for the Wii-U. Good thing the exclusivity deal is only for 3 games, so this concept for future games will probably be more well-crafted and available for the PS4 and PC.

I did entertain the thought of the speed tier system, just with the inclusion of visual cues. Regular speed Sonic would be running in slow-paced Genesis-Sonic running, increase in speed would have Sonic heave his arms in a circle and bring them back into the max-speed Genesis-Sonic dash, and then max-speed/boost mode Sonic would have Sonic take a visible breath, swing his arms forward, lunge them back behind his head, and go flying in his Modern Era boosting position. I figured that would be a neat little aesthetic choice, just to see the transitioning of posture as his got faster.

We did get visual cues here, just with his Figure-8 feet to boost mode dash feet instead. Ah well, still cool and all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been preaching about parkour every time there was a discussion on gameplay styles.

Dammit! Why does no one listen to me!

Edited by Rusty Spy

I've been preaching about parkour every time there was a discussion on gameplay styles.

Dammit! Why does no one listen to me!

I've been listening to whomever was the most vocal...

Well that, and no one was actually expecting parkour anytime soon. ^__^;;

Liking most of what I hear, aside from the obvious simple story and "Sonic alone with guest appearance from unplayable Tails and Amy" ( and Knuckles this time, actually surprised about that ) ...Could do without the wisps. Not that I dislike them ( ok, I don't like rocket, cube, or beast ) but they felt like they shoulda been game specific, right?  They should have just made the power-ups monitors.

Sooo it's safe to say, drifting is gone?

And who's to say that double trigger (ball mode) isn't just sonic moving at top speed via ball mode boost? 

The Wii U Game Pad has shoulder buttons as well as triggers, I imagine drifting will just get mapped to the shoulders.

Well, the monitors were generally just items with passive effects, like adding rings to your total or giving you a temporary speed boost.  The Wisps seem like they were more about giving you actual new powers to work with, which may be why they specifically have been brought back.  I'll agree that some of the Wisps were kinda crap, though.

I was thinking more along the lines of Sonic 3's flame, lightning, and bubble power-ups. Actually, Sonic's ability to get a second ability from those shields was what supposed to be what he had that Tails and Knuckles did not, so I'm kinda wondering what ever happened to them. If ever it comes down to bringing Tails and Knuckles back as pretty much flying/gliding and climbing Sonic clones, I'd imagine those powers should return.

Edited by Thirsty Pocket

My feeling is that they dropped the shields in favor of just expanding the normal move sets of the characters.  For example, Sonic has been able to Jump Dash without a Fire Shield since Sonic Adventure, and Adventure 2 offered the Bounce Attack as a permanent addition to his move set once he had the Bounce Bracelet, Water Shield be damned.

For the sake of not wandering too far off topic, if they're bringing back the Wisps then I hope they bring back Drill, because I thought that power up was used very cleverly.  Also, they might come up with new ones.

Edited by G-Force

Seeing more of the cylindrical parts of the stages instead of the halfpipe tube-like levels, I can see this becoming pretty "open" now, I guess. If you're able to navigate all sides of the tube at once, the bottom and sides of the tube could be considered completely different paths, which is pretty neat. I can dig the idea of a trigger for running/rolling, too. I'm glad it's not on a face button. Alas this will probably mean the drift is gone, as I can see the quick-step working quite well in a game like this, but not so much the drift. RIP my favorite Modern Sonic move. ;_;

The reason the lighting looks flat is probably because they had to light all sides of the tubes, making things like shadows really confusing. I recall Sumo Digital mentioned that as a problem in the NiGHTS stage in ASR:T, as well. 

EDIT: Wisps being back probably implies that they've got something to do with the story too, which I can also dig. What if this Hex Planet is actually a lost Wisp World? That'd be really cool. Also so long as the Blue Wisp isn't the same as it was previously, I have no problems with them bringing them back.

Edited by SKANKFUNK
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd like the Wisps to be like Elemental Shields this time. Have elemental Wisps and new Wisps. Keep the Blue Wisp and Purple Wisp away.

I like Wisps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wisps are not needed. They went back to their home planet, they have no reason to be back in the series.

Sega, I hate the Wisps, why do you always make me hate you?

Edited by Crash
  • Thumbs Up 1