Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

sonic-cd-3-o.gif

Sorry...I couldn't resist...

Better Badnik designs and actually interesting backdrops? You're kinda proving his point by using anything from Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 6

A screenshot please. I don't think CD is THIS cartoony. And your picture. If anything, that's anime.

26851-sonic-the-hedgehog-genesis-screens

Better?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is bullshit. Don't even try to troll me. Sa has it's fair share of surreal stuff and besides.. Show me another Sonic game that is THIS in yer face cartoony. Please, do!

Yes, SA has surreal stuff, the same way Generations and (surprise) Lost World have a lot of surreal stuff.

If you wanted a Sonic game that's as cartoony as Lost World, you could always just look at Sonic Shuffle.

442668-art_2533_id_26_mw_520.jpeg

Of course, I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for. It's a moot point because you're right about one thing; Sonic Lost World is more cartoony than most Sonic games. That much is not being disputed.

But if you really wanted to play this game, I've got one for you: Name one Sonic game that was so "in yer face" realistic that came out prior to Sonic Adventure. Please do. That game was inarguably a bigger departure in art style and gameplay than what this is.

The point is that the art style between games changes. You can go ahead and make superficial comparisons to other series and say "this isn't Sonic" all you want, but the point is...well, it IS Sonic now. Everything was new at a point, and the games have made bigger changes over shorter periods of time.

Edited by Solly
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's a better example.

I think the main problem with the new art style, compared to before, is... well. Replace the backdrop with a blue screen on both instances. Unleashed-Colours-Generations will lose a lot for it, because the levels integrate the backdrop. Lost World will look the same, because it looks like when you make a 3DS Max render of a teapot and add a photo of a sky in the background.

• Thumbs Up 2

FUCK!

I just realised this game is actually running at 720p! Look at how smooth those screenshots are! Generations and Unleashed ran at much, much lower resolutions on the 360 and PS3. 720p is fucking great! I didn't except that.

There are true 1280x720 screenshots and even incredibly sharp 1280x720 trailer for Unleashed, but game anyway runs at 880x720+2xbox blur filter on X360 and PS3.

It really happened, someone unironically blamed Nintendo for Sonic's direction.

This has been going on since the game was announced. Actually, it's been happening since Sonic Colors.

But if you really wanted to play this game, I've got one for you: Name one Sonic game that was so "in yer face" realistic that came out prior to Sonic Adventure. Please do. 

Well...

pcm04da21miyake3dd8.png

I know this isn't what you mean at all, but damn if it isn't so in your face realistic that it's terrifying. Guh!

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Lost World is more cartoony than most Sonic games. That much is not being disputed.

Thank God! Sometimes I feel like you just argue with me for the sake of arguing. But I must be right about at least something, right?

That's a better example.

I think the main problem with the new art style, compared to before, is... well. Replace the backdrop with a blue screen on both instances. Unleashed-Colours-Generations will lose a lot for it, because the levels integrate the backdrop. Lost World will look the same, because it looks like when you make a 3DS Max render of a teapot and add a photo of a sky in the background.

Now 'm not the only one who understands that. What a relief!

I guess the initial hype from the trailer finally started to go down. I wonder why I'm the first one to cool my head.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well...

pcm04da21miyake3dd8.png

I know this isn't what you mean at all, but damn if it isn't so in your face realistic that it's terrifying. Guh!

Because this screen represents the game in more ways than just a comic picture you may even not unlock because it's hidden in the game. Nice try, but no. And Sonic 1 special stage screenshot is not the best example either cause it's a friggin' special stage. Those were always quite surreal.

Edited by ArtFenix

I've agreed with that since the start, that and that the badniks look like cheap plastic toys. The main difference is that you're being incredibly confrontational about it, while I'm being passive- you're shoving it on people's faces, I'm responding to having the opposite shoved on mine.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't think anyone was arguing it isn't cartoony, just that it isn't inherently a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess the initial hype from the trailer finally started to go down. I wonder why I'm the first one to cool my head.

Oh get your head out of your ass. The first thing you did when you jumped into this topic is bitch about the artstyle and story and how its not "Sonic" anymore. That's not keeping a cool head that's being a baby.

You've given no convincing argument on why its not "Sonic" anymore aside from superficial comparisons to previous games.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think anyone was arguing it isn't cartoony, just that it isn't inherently a bad thing.

This basically.

It's definitely the cartooniest he's been in a while, but acting like the series is dead because of it is.. well...

In my opinion, this "cartoony-ness" is the best direction the series can possibly take, sorry.

BTW let's take a quick look at your (and my) beloved classic games, Sonic's roots.

This is SO cartoony and so over the top! SUCH simplistic design! Oh my God.

deathegg22.png320px-DeathEggLavaReef.png

300px-Knuckles_Chaotix_Final_Boss.PNGdoomsday3.png

GENESIS--Sonic%20and%20Knuckles%20%20Sondeatheggboss2.png

Nice one.

But since we only have one level to see from Lost World  let's try this one example:

GENESIS--Sonic%201%20Megamix%20v30_Sep24

Looks kinda like the trailer, but in 16-bit.

I'll say again though that simple backgrounds don't somehow make it cartoonier, this idea that cartoons have simple backgrounds is rubbish.

EDIT: I dunno, CSS. I see a backdrop integrated into the level (the use of the mountains in the back, and of the waterfalls, make the level look like it's going around a body of water). I see a Motobug looking as complex as it could for the hardware, while also cartoony.

Edited by Captain Harlock
  • Thumbs Up 2

You're having a laugh right?  You're the main person here who HASN'T had a cool head.  You've been bitching about graphics and designs for most of your posts.  And you haven't even been doing it calmly like most of the other people that have been complaining.  Stop acting all high and mighty.

Because I am heavily disappointed by what I saw, I can't express my thoughts? What makes me not have a cool head? I hated most of what I've seen and as a fan I have my reasons for bitching about that. What's the problem with that? I'm not trying to act high and mighty, I just think what I say is right. I just speak my mind. A bit more emotionally, then needed, yes, but hell, I have never been this disappointed by a new Sonic game announce so no surprise I'm pissed by what they did to the style and graphics!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have never been this disappointed by a new Sonic game announce so no surprise I'm pissed by what they did to the style and graphics!

Maybe you wouldn't have been disappointed if you didn't watch the trailer while wearing your "Nintendo probably did something bad to this game" goggles.

Bad pre-conceptions don't help the final opinion, unfortunately.

EDIT: I dunno, CSS. I see a backdrop integrated into the level (the use of the mountains in the back, and of the waterfalls, make the level look like it's going around a body of water). I see a Motobug looking as complex as it could for the hardware, while also cartoony.

I'm confused...I thought we were talking about a game that was "in your face" cartoony?

Thank you. This is what I'd like to say, but you helped me make it into words.

Colors is also cartoony, but it's OK. This one is not for the reasons one post above. That's why I called it degradation.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping that not ALL the levels are highway on the sky and that we have some on the ground too, hopefully they will have more detailed backgrounds. However I can sorta see why they wouldn't do it for the tube levels ( well the one we have seen so far)

The described gameplay doesn't really work without being tubes in the sky though. Again, nothing wrong with it, and if they pull the gameplay off, I'll be the happier for it. I'll just light a candle to good-looking level design.

I dunno what he's talking about, what I'm talking against is this idea that "simpler = cartoonier", especially since the classic games were never like that- they tried to have as much detail and work into it as possible while looking cartoony. Go check the Sonic 3 manual, all the badnik drawings.

Yeah, see, and given that ArtFenix often broadcasts his massive support of more realistic elements while comdemning the sillier looking elements (which I'm actually surprised to see that he's going back on as far as previous games went), I figured it was another one of those arguments we were having again.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc